[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey! I'm working on a class project about bullying and I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Front.jpg (2MB, 1425x1425px) Image search: [Google]
Front.jpg
2MB, 1425x1425px
Hey! I'm working on a class project about bullying and I figured the best way of going about it was to ask around...

Would any of you consider himself as having been bullied, and if yes, in what way has it affected your life? I've seen more and more people claiming that it strengthens the character, would you consider that true?

And just so I could make a statistic if there will be enough responses, would you consider also saying what country are you from? Completely optional, of course.

>pic unrelated, just the first pic that came up in my gallery
>>
Sure I'll post I guess

>Would any of you consider himself as having been bullied
Definitely, growing up I had this one kid named kyle or who not stop bullying me. Years later another one named logan but they mostly ended up fighting between each other after he came along and I kinda got out of it. It was typical stuff, they'd call me names, make fun of me for being poor and hit me a lot. One other guy sorta bullied me for poor hygine and looking like my sister but other than that I never got bullied (grew up friends with a super prep) most people knew me and left me alone
>in what way has it affected your life?
Very much I have zero self-esteem, no one looked out for me and I spent most of grade school not having friends and being afraid to be myself or talk to people
> I've seen more and more people claiming that it strengthens the character, would you consider that true?
not really. once I got to middle school I said enough was enough and me and a couple people who just hated kyle beat him down real bad. He never bothered me again and we actually became friends and played n64 a lot. but I remember these two girls came up to me after and accused me of being a bully. I cant tell you how much that killed me inside
>what country are you from?
Canada, mtf bi if that helps

I got lots of bully stories if anyone wants to hear
>>
>>7857999
Thanks for contributing, had no idea /lgbt/ was gonna be this silent. Maybe I've just worded my thread wrongly.

However, your story, as funny as it may seem, actually brings up a very interesting topic. The victims are, at least labeled, according to you, if not even ostracized themselves for becoming bullies themselves once they retaliate. To be honest, this is something along the lines of the bullied becoming bullies themselves in a self preserving society-induced vicious cycle.

Thanks again for contributing! And sorry if I may seem cold or whatever, I myself have been a victim of bullying at a younger age, but this made me really become an introverted person and really ignorant of what is going on around me...it's interesting that it had the effect of disconnecting, rather than forcing conformation to rules, as a /sci/ poster claimed.
Wish you all the luck and a nice day!
>>
>>7858030
>had no idea /lgbt/ was gonna be this silent
Sometimes threads can take a while to get a discussion going. It's easier if you have direct questions

> I've seen more and more people claiming that it strengthens the character, would you consider that true?

I try hard to not be like them but honestly I have grown into what they were like in some ways. Maybe its just me being honest with people but I've noticed I make a lot of people cry when I bring them down and actually make fun of and tease them if they get on my nerves. I don't know what that counts as for changing my character though. If anything I'd say I got even bigger walls around me now.
>>
>>7858074
I don't really think this thread is gonna evolve into a discussion, but it's ok though.

I believe that you may be a pretty good example of what normally happens to a bully victim. I mean, I'm a bit tired and if I say anything that mildly may seem insulting, I'm really sorry. People usually tend to respond to being picked on by putting on a disguise, I believe, and becoming more critical of people around them(maybe as a manifestation of skepticism?).

Thanks for contouring one possible outcome of being bullied.
>>
>>7858110
I'm definitely distrustful of everyone. Most of my relationships I don't believe a word the person says. Honestly now that I think about it I find it easier to get closer with a person after I break them down at least once. I can see their honesty come out when they're vulnerable and I trust them a bit more because I can see they're soft and would not put on a disguise for me. That never happened with people that I found out were actually using my/disliked me but pursued a friendship with me for various reasons. On the opposite end though if I see they're mostly a confused or spite motivated person I never like them again and will not make an effort to be nice.
>>

Yes, but not for lgbt issues because everyone thought I was straight back then. I probably did a little bit of bulling myself as well.
>in what way has it affected your life?Being bullied just makes you hate people. You meet other adults and all you can see them as is bullies in high school.
Fighting back does. Being bullied , not so much.
>what country are you from?US
>>
I was lightly bullied in middle and high school. In middle school I was lame, in high school I was something of a geek, or freak.

Often the bullying was gay-related, but since I was in the closet (and knew they didn't know for sure) I didn't take any of it personally. I knew gay insults were in vogue and that their use wasn't tied to any seething homophobia.

I fully endorse public school and all of the discomforts that come with it. Just like humans living on the same planet, children at the same school need to learn how to persist.
>>
>>7857900
yes
Resulted in paranoia and contempt for others.
>it strengthens the character, would you consider that true?
Bullshit.
Netherlands.
>>
>>7858303
Thanks for replying!
I find it interesting that all the people thus far say that their bulying was not lgbt-related. True, this mostly can be explained due to them not coming out about it, but still...
However, apparently, from what I can gather, almost nobody has resentments about what happened or particularly dismays the bully. They mostly accept that it's something normal...or, if not normal, just something that takes place, whether they like it or not.

I like your point: it is not bullying per se what makes one stronger, but his fighting back...which, in the end, is the main reason bullying has some positive aspects only on a very remote group of people. Thanks a lot!
>>
>>7858350
Thanks for replying! This passivity you're describing, seems to me like a common trait between bullied victims, as ai myself have developed it too.

As I can see thus far, bullying a certain group as a whole(the lgbt community in this case) is more on a society-level an act of bullying, as the bully is not an individual, but a common front. Although this was mostly known, I find it particularly interesting when compared to bullies(given that we refer mainly to bullies who bully not because they enjoy other's suffering, but because of some personal problems of their own) and the fact that they do not discriminate like this, as anyone is good enough for them to build their self-esteem upon.

Of course, there are bullies that can and do bully just to get a laugh out of it who will discriminate(my educated guess). Really appreciate all the responses! I'm starting to get a main idea of the psychology behind bullying as a phenomenon rather than an isolated occurrence.
>>
>>7858420
OP, I advertised your thread in /mtfg/ because that's the most active thread on the board. Hopefully some of them will come over and share experiences. >>7858421
>>
>>7858030
>Thanks for contributing, had no idea /lgbt/ was gonna be this silent.
/lgbt/ is one of the quieter 4chan boards, except for /mtfg/ which makes up like half the board traffic
>>
>>7858391

Thanks a lot for replying! A common ground everybody shares...paranoia. Interesting that in the initial talk I had with my colleagues, nobody even brought up this aspect. Yet, apparently it's the most common effect bullying has on someone.

Aren't the Netherlands massively more lenient on mostly everything(so I heard, I might be wrong though)...? I'm not that naïve to expect it to be clean of bullying, but I'm expecting there to be a smaller number of cases at least? The standard of living do influence the mentalities after all. Would you say that this weird freedom most citizens of the Netherlands have is helping with reducing the amount of violence, especially amidst highschool and middleschool students?

Sorry if I am wrong on the Netherlands, I'm kinda in way over my head right now with work and whatnot and focusing is really the least aspect of my personality to enjoy at the moment.
>>
>>7858442
Thank you very much, kind anon! I tried avoiding going to the most visited threads not to get my post lost beneath countless replies to others...plus it would have been intruding.

Once again, thanks a lot!
>>
>>7858489
>plus it would have been intruding.
Don't worry about it. /mtfg/ were chatting about bullying experiences just the other day anyway.
>>
>>7858463
In a way the Netherlands is more lenient on a lot of things, but aside from that we're not significantly different than other western countries.
Violence and bullying isn't significantly lower from what I know, and we're just as incompetent in tackling issues as every other country.

Also a point to remember is that countries and people are never actually as good as they like to imagine.
Deeds > words, and there's more deeds than words.
>>
>>7858557
I see, thank you very much for the advice!

And I can therefore conclude that liberty is not something that will deter bullies from their actions. Just as I previously thought, it's much rather the society as a whole, not the law system or any written rule forvthat matter, what causes bullying in the first place.
My initial thesis before coming here was developed from a kind /sci/ anon who claimed that bullying is a means of ostracizing the groups that are "deviant" from the society(his words). I believe bullying is a flawed product of a flawed mob mentality spread among people. This instilled hate that festers in them is but a social construct that can be traced back to the unfairness of the world on them in the first place.

To conclude, I believe the bully is himself a victim of a vicious cycle. Of course, they themselves are unaware of the big picture, if that is the case.
>>
File: 3p0.jpg (132KB, 1600x901px) Image search: [Google]
3p0.jpg
132KB, 1600x901px
>>7857900
I was bullied a lot.
Specifically, I was called faggot, fag, cocksucker, homo, gaylord, fembot and numerous other things almost every day throughout junior high and high school.
I had little kids ask me if I was a boy or a girl.
To this day I get called fag by little boys on bicycles when I am walking down the street.
(I am a tall cis male gay man)
I don't know what makes them think I'm gay.
I try to dress and act masculine.
I made a concious attempt to speak with a lower voice after my gf at the time told me I sounded feminine.
I try to dress butch.
But people still call me fag.
I think it is because I have a small jaw and an oval shaped face and small ears.
I look gorgeous in drag (did it for halloween once) but I have no desire to be a femboy or a transgirl or anything.
I just wish I had a hairy chest and muscles.
I have never had a problem getting boyfriends so my life has been pretty happy so far.
I think it has made me stronger.
I just ignore people when they call me names.
Sometimes I will retort "Yes, obviously I'm gay. Do you think you're clever for figuring that out? Because it is no secret"
Usually that shuts them up.
Somebody wrote "FAG" with red magic marker over 3 pages of friend's signatures in my sophomore yearbook and it hurts to see that after all these years.
I wish I could be a manly man but I have learned to accept myself as I am.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.