[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some guidance all, my father had M-F gender reassignment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1477654829335.png (281KB, 530x618px) Image search: [Google]
1477654829335.png
281KB, 530x618px
I need some guidance all, my father had M-F gender reassignment surgery late in life while I was in my mid teens.

Naturally this caused a rather vicious breakdown in family relations but I've since mostly come to terms with my gender reassigned parent and we are on great talking basis.

My personal dilemma comes with wanting children myself and not having the slightest clue what pronoun to describe my father as to my future children as I certainly want them to be a part of their grandparents lives.

I myself have trouble knowing what to refer to her now as myself and use her new name rather than any specific mother/father title.

So what do? I don't feel as if I can use mom #1 and mom #2 nor do I want to continue referring to her by only her new name, particularly with future children.
>>
>>7127494
Stick with "mom" or "mother" for your biological mother. Your biological father is now "ma" or "mummy" or something

For your grandkids: "grandma" and "nana", or other alternatives.
>>
>>7127500
In retrospect it seems simple putting it like that.

I guess I'll just wing it and go with whatever the kids are most agreeable to.
>>
>>7127494
>nor do I want to continue referring to her by only her new name, particularly with future children
would she or your other mom have a problem with that, though? lots of kids call their grandparents by their first name for any number of reasons -- i call my paternal grandparents their names because i was the first grandkid (keep in mind that no matter what you plan for the first grandkid ends up choosing the names anyway) and thought they were 'too young' for grandparent names, so six other grandchildren later they're still just their first names
>>7127500 is pretty much right though
>>
>>7127520
Good luck, Anon!
>>
>>7127529
Oh boy my mother would have a serious grudge, with her I would have to tread very carefully initially. She might warm up to the concept after baby exposure.

Continuing to use first names probably wouldn't be too bad, I've never noticed it used by anyone before.

Ill try seek out some sort of local support group and get my thoughts together, is there even a thing for adult children of transgender parents in Australia?
>>
>>7127494
>I don't feel as if I can use mom #1 and mom #2 nor do I want to continue referring to her by only her new name
EVERYONE has multiple grandparents, two for each side of the family. Unless some of them were dead or you had little contact with them, I'm guessing you and your family had some way of clarifying which ones you were referring to in situations where it wouldn't be clear.
>>7127529
>lots of kids call their grandparents by their first name for any number of reasons
This. Its fairly common for people to refer to their grandparents as "grandma/grandpa [name]" or something similar. Even without the whole trans situation, just saying something like "We're going to visit grandma for Thanksgiving" would be needlessly vague.
>>
Why not ask the relevant parent what they would like.

Also, no matter what you say, typically the grandchild says what they will - which is why so many grandparents are ultimately called "Nana" or "Gran" or other silly names that toddlers come up with.

Don't fuck up your kids and make it a source of needless anxiety.
>>
Maybe for the grandparent thing, use a title in a language that belongs to a prominent ethnicity in your bloodline? For instance if you're Italian, use "Nonna" for grandma.

also, don't even explain the transgender thing to your kids, at least not until they're adults. Just say "I have two moms"
>>
>>7127645
>at least not until they're adults
earlier than that, op said his mom transitioned late so she probably doesn't pass that well
op shouldn't make it a big conversational topic but when the kids ask why grandma susan looks so different from the other women he should probably bring up her medical condition (and make it very clear that this medical condition is sensitive and should not be yelled about on the playground to strangers)
>>
File: 1416774167804.gif (2MB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
1416774167804.gif
2MB, 320x200px
>>7127662
>grandma susan
>>
>>7127943
underrated post
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.