[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Isn't this movie problematic in it's own way, despite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

File: 1471649677394.jpg (155KB, 618x917px) Image search: [Google]
1471649677394.jpg
155KB, 618x917px
Isn't this movie problematic in it's own way, despite its attempt to celebrate and normalize transgenderism? Isn't casting a non trans actor in a trans role just the queer equivalent to blackface??
>>
>>6760502

Yes. Trans people hate that. However, being problematic doesn't mean it's automatically awful. You just need to acknowledge it's flaws. Almost every film has flaws after all.
>>
>>6760502
go back to tumblr
>>
File: 1444070503181.jpg (44KB, 640x367px) Image search: [Google]
1444070503181.jpg
44KB, 640x367px
>>6760502
OMG YES. Thank you OP. I cannot believe that they didn't chop his dick off, shove a uterus into his belly, and then film her as she really died from infection and organ rejection, just like the real story!
>>
>>6760570
Obviously shitty bait but the point is that there are real trans folk who could and should represent themselves. They don't need straight cis actors playing as transpeople to make themselves feel better. In 20 years we'll look back on this film and cringe the way we do now at Long Duck Dong or Al Jolsen.
>>
I'm so fucking glad the only media I care about is literature. Mostly literature written more than 20 years ago, at least. None of these retroactive Millenial crybaby cunts read and the academic criticism is so much more well-thought-out, so I can be at peace.

Thank fuck I can be at peace. Vulgar critiques of anything suck. No, you're not special, you don't know how to critique fuck just because you read Salon and Tumblr. Read some actual fucking intelligent people's works and then say something.
>>
>>6760589
>They don't need straight cis actors playing as transpeople to make themselves feel better.

Nah you dumb nigger. We need good actors in films because they are good actors. It's called "acting".

If you want to watch a documentary on IRL trannies than do so. Then report back to us on which was cringier.
>>
>>6760608
>i'm very smart, you see, I REAAAAADDD
How's it feel to care about a dead medium?

>>6760613
Acting is superfluous to a good film. It should stand on it's own through good images and sound cues. The best films use nonprofessional actors as walking mannequins.
>>
>>6760589
>there are real trans folk who could and should represent themselves
ok, but are there real trans folk who are good actors?
>>
Having a trans woman playing Lili would be straight up retarded. Lili started off pre transition, in a time where there was no actual HRT. Having a trans girl who is on hormones with ffs would have been unrealistic and stupid.

Kill yourself OP.
>>
>>6760502
Eddie's a qt, so no
>>
>>6760608
>the projection in this reply
>>
>>6760788
I'm sure there are some.That girl from Sense8 for instance was bretty gud.
>>
>>6760502
Because studios want to the film to make as much money as possible and don't have time to give two shits about what 0.02% of the population think
>>
>>6760802

THIS

he looks better than 50% of all trannies.
>>
Well the protagonist had to be identifying as male in the beginning and had to actively transition through the film, so having a post-op trans woman wouldn't work with what they were doing. And casting a pre-op trans woman would be the same as casting some who isnt trans at all, so they decided they would get an experienced actor is lieu of somebody probably less experienced just to make it legit 'in spirit'.
>>
>>6760924
You're too level headed for the sort of (you)'s OP wants to get.
>>
>>6760924
They should find some young hon from a chan and go fully Hollywood surgery makeover on her. Manufacture a star, literally.

I nominate Kayla
>>
>>6760972
>ywn see the "real" version which took years and multiple surgeries to complete
>>
>>6760502
Well, look at it like this: what percentage of the population is trans? What percentage of that is mtf? What percentage of that are gay? What percentage of that are actresses? What percentage of that are GOOD actresses? Then what percentage of that were interested enough to audition for this movie? And of that remaining percentage, are they good enough to beat the straight cis actresses? This is ignoring all the other factors, such as schedule, sickness, et cetera.
>>
It's because trans girls look just like cis girls (post-hrt). Nobody would understand if she wasn't a hon.
>>
>>6760502
PROBLEMATICAL PROBLEMS PROBLEMATICALLY PROBLEMING PROBLEMS

I CANT EVEN
>>
>>6760633
>The best films
What would you consider thus? /tv/ is inscrutable.
>>
File: The-skin-i-live-in-6.jpg (149KB, 1600x1062px) Image search: [Google]
The-skin-i-live-in-6.jpg
149KB, 1600x1062px
>>6760502
I didn't finish watching that movie because I thought it was boring and shitty.

Then I watched the skin I live in and I had a rollercoaster of feels.
Mostly of being disgusted at myself.

Never ever watching another movie with trans related things.
>>
>>6764071

>tfw no gorgeous rich surgeon to kidnap you and turn you into his 10/10 waifu.

I was so mad when the ending happened. That ungrateful little whore, after all he did for her :'(.
>>
>>6760502
>implying there's something wrong with blackface
>>
>>6760502
No. No.
kys

>>6760633
>How's it feel to care about a dead medium?
>Acting is superfluous to a good film. It should stand on it's own through good images and sound cues. The best films use nonprofessional actors as walking mannequins.
You obviously don't know shit about movies and art in general. Or are baiting.

>>6764164
>her
>>
>>6764164
I felt angry and dirty at same time.
Weird feels.
I wouldn't mind a man making me a copy of his dead wife if he really loved me.
>>
>>6760502

Not at all. Not that I've seen the film, but I liked the trailers.

>>6764071

Why did you feel disgusted with yourself?

>>6764164

Same.
>>
>>6760502
Ehh. Tbh blackface is bad because generally it was actively mocking black people. This isn't doing that at all. Good actors should be able to play all roles. I'd love to see more trans actors cast as trans people and trans actors cast as cis people too, but that doesn't mean someone *can't* play that role. Especially when they are doing thier best to accurately portray them. This movie is trying it's best to be progressive. And plus the character's overall portrayal is more dependant on the directing, screenwriting, and editing rather than the actual actor's performance.

AKA a trans or cis person could both do this job poorly or do it well. As long as nobody is being malicious, it's really not bad.
>>
>>6760502

Am I the only one who actually enjoyed this film for what it was?
>>
>>6760589
But we needed an actor who hadn't transitioned!
>>
>>6765966
I enjoyed it too for the most part. And that ending had me crying so bad.
>>
>>6760502
>problematic

go back to tumblr
>>
File: images.jpg (3KB, 111x84px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3KB, 111x84px
>>6760502
bawwww
a straight actors playing a gay characters
bawwww
>>
File: 1456176881296.jpg (106KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1456176881296.jpg
106KB, 1000x1000px
>movie about certain topic isn't made with an actor in 0.3% of the population so is therefore offensive

I understand why it can be a bit iffy when black people or asian people are swapped out with white people when there are millions of asians and african americans in the US (I know not all of them are actors), but they have at least some choice. (I know that it's nowadays mostly a marketing decision anyways)

However, I completely understand it when the one trans actor they were considering wasn't a good fit / couldn't make the schedule / whatever reason it was and they decided to go with a flexible, available, talented and widely-known actor that would provide more incentive to buy tickets and do a great job because they couldn't get / didn't want that one actor in 0.3% of the population. (Just for visualization, for every 1000 actors, there are 3 that are transgender.)

t. asian mtf incase your logic prohibits me from making a "problematic" point unless I have some type of arbitrary moral justification that's related to the topic I'm talking about...
>>
>>6760502
Who would you cast for Texas chainsaw massacre?
>>
>>6764071
My therapist kept nagging me about watching this movie.

Didn't watched it because my therapist wanted me stop DIYing.
>>
Eddie is CUTE
>>
>I don't know what an "actor" is
>I think movies are real life
>>
>>6764164
You should read the book then.
Is called ''Tarantula'' and I think is pretty short.
Different ending, ''she'' is not fucked by the other protagonist, but the doctor pimps her out.
At the end he has a change of heart, starts seeing ''her'' as a daughter aaaand she pretty much says ''fuck it'' and happily stays with him.

Also him feeding her hormones in the basement is pretty weird.
>>
>>6760523
I'm trans and I didn't hate that.
>>
>>6760589
In 20 years people will think it's absurd to cast people based on their gender entirely.
>>
this is nice film
nice
>>
File: 1471811600956.jpg (20KB, 310x156px) Image search: [Google]
1471811600956.jpg
20KB, 310x156px
>>6768589
>but the doctor pimps her out.
>Also him feeding her hormones in the basement

Not sure if I should read it or not.
I developed a humiliation fetish after years of hating myself but I'm trying to sort that out and be a normal person.
>>
>>6760502
Haven't seen the movie... but I thought the actor was really cute as a trans character... I would've however be pissed off if hey decided to use an actor who was hyper masculine looking like Willem Dafoe or some shit..

The shit that pisses me off when they cast non-transgender actors in a transgender role is when they cast somebody who's super masculine and seems to have no interest in appearing as feminine looking as they can and the makeup department chooses to do the same with them. Like Walton Goggins as Venus Van Dam in Sons of Anarchy... the fucker never looked like he shaved before his scenes... constant heavy as beard shadow with no attempt at hiding it by anyone. Shit like that is what makes us actually look bad because it just reinforces the stereotype of what trans women look like rather then what they could look like with some fucking effort.

And don't even get me started when they claim the characters is supposed to be trans but they obviously are just following a drag queen aesthetic.. or damn near close enough.
>>
>>6771707
The book is pretty good, leaving all that aside. And short.
I would recommend you to read it
>>
>>6760589
you do know that long duck dong is pretty much exactly what asian immigrants of that generation were like, right?
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.