[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the dangers of becoming a hermit? I'm pretty much

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: The_habitation_of_a_hermit.jpg (655KB, 1841x1400px) Image search: [Google]
The_habitation_of_a_hermit.jpg
655KB, 1841x1400px
What are the dangers of becoming a hermit? I'm pretty much asexual and don't find enjoyment in other people. Lately I've been thinking to remove myself from society so I can focus on intellectual development, but I'm worried that the prolonged social isolation will be damaging. Is it possible for a person to achieve tranquility in solitude?Is it possible to achieve happiness?
>>
You probably won't achieve happiness but contentment and tranquility aren't out of reach for that kind of life.

>damaging
Your social skills will evaporate. You'll go kind of insane but it takes a degree of insanity to want that kind of life anyways. If you aren't actually capable of handling true solitude you'll go off the deep end.
>>
File: 340985.png (206KB, 301x359px) Image search: [Google]
340985.png
206KB, 301x359px
>>6747984
Where do you live right now? Is it a small town or what?
>>
>>6747984

1 Injury. Suffering or Dying for stupid reason that would have been solved by not being an integer of your species secondary identity. Watch "All is lost". As someone who is effectively asexual and also cripplingly introverted, I can empathize. I've told people who think I'm miserable, you've never seen me happy cause I'm only really happy when I'm alone, and it goes over their heads like so many falling trees making no sound. When I've advised other people like me to turn inward as it is their only hope, it still FEELS like handing a drunk a drink. And anti-human in as much as we are relating, and yet I'm encouraging them to cut that off too. Still a great lesson against solipsism.

The only way you will ever become more of a person is by gnawing on yourself. Which counteringly, is the only way you will ever have anything to offer to other people....if you ever so choose. But yes if will damage you, and in not so bootstrappy ways. For when you pang for interaction, you will be even less practiced, and ever successive interaction will be all the more akward and painful. They stack, like good coupons. There is no way out of being what amounts to the most unfit being: the least social of the world's most social animal.

The real terrifying thing to think about is....maybe.....that you just have really high standards for people......and that there is a hunger in you so dormant, yet so large like and elephant leg in a thick forest, or a yosmite-style super volcano....that when you by some miracle....or just being due after a life time of snake eyes......the dam bursts and you feel like you are quantumly entangled with another.......only to have the rug pulled out, by the interview never ending, and the fast approaching moment of them saying for doing something.. so unbelievably stupid that you can never talk to them again.
>>
>>6747984
It is only possible to achieve tranquility in solitude. But who wants tranquility only? Peace is death. Life is about MEANINGFUL suffering #Gladwell,

Why be happy when you could be interesting? # Zizek.
>>
>The reason the reason for why the world lacks unity, and lies broken and in heaps, is that man is disunited with himself.

-Emerson

While the risks of a solitary life include a potentially shortened lifespan and increased susceptibility to depression, that's only if you do it wrong.

If you have a spiritual mentality solitude can be nourishing desu. After all what else draws our own finite consciousness into such clear and bright relief?

We suddenly become aware of this precious orb of glass lodged jewel-like behind the forehead. One false step with it and it could crack. People muddy it up all the time with petty social interactions and bickering. Solitude rises above that.
>>
You won't be able to relate to people anymore. You'll just lose the ability and you won't even realize it. And your social skills will evaporate, of course.

In our society unless you live off the grid you'll always have to communicate with people. It's best to learn to function around other people just enough that you can work, get groceries, pay your bills, etc. Then after that you can spend all your time alone. It's what I plan on doing.
>>
There's no point in developing yourself intellectually or philosophically unless you share it with others. Even the Buddha acquired and taught his followers after he reached enlightenment.
>>
>all this retard hippy spiritual bullshit
OP my man you're going to get fucking murdered by a skinwalker, fleshgait, or one of the many unnamed horrors. Humans formed societies to protect themselves from these things. If you don't protect yourself you'll get fucked up and I don't think the average legbutt is enough of a /k/ommando to handle themselves out in the shit.
>>
>>6748398
>It's best to learn to function around other people just enough that you can work, get groceries, pay your bills, etc. Then after that you can spend all your time alone.
Seconding this. Your coworkers will think you're an insane freak but if you can deal with that it's pretty comfy to be an urban hermit. Speaking from experience though you'll likely lose the ability to relate to people anyways.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.