[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are LGBT studies classes like? Is anyone here an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 0231096704.jpg (54KB, 331x475px) Image search: [Google]
0231096704.jpg
54KB, 331x475px
What are LGBT studies classes like?

Is anyone here an LGBT Studies major?
>>
Oh you americans...
>>
>>6588262
I take great offense at the perverting of our colleges and universities into pseudo-trade/vocational schools.
College isn't job training. It's higher learning for higher learnings sake first and foremost. It's specific study, whether or not some jerkoff thinks it's useful to the world or not, that's not the point.
>>
They are just as bad as ethnic studies and women's/gender studies. I had the misfortune of taking one (my college required a "social justice" credit for undergrad GE) and it was basically just a bunch of Tumblr girls ranting about "the cishets this" and "the patriarchy that." Choose a worthwhile major, like English, sciences, math, history, ecology, or whatever. No minority studies class is going to help you in life unless your dream in life is agitating minorities into making fools of themselves for money and fame.
>>
Too much salt, friend. Please keep your ignorance tasty next time.
>>
>>6587633
>Is anyone here an LGBT Studies major?

For the life of me I can't understand how this can be an actual major at a reputable university. How many classes can you really create based solely on LGBT shit? Sure, you can study the history of it and how it impacts the world today, but what the fuck else is there? How can you extend that to 60+ credit hours?
>>
>>6588262
They've got them in NZ too.
>>
>>6588427
This is why you're not in college, dear

;^)
>>
>>6588444
I'm graduating with an MSW in April.
>>
>>6588427
You can get credits for activism at some universities. It's hilarious, because at my university a lot of ethnic studies people are getting activism credits for more or less harassing Jews and shouting at white people. Seriously, our campus "racial activism" consists of "sit-ins" where Black Panther wannabes disrupt people studying in the library by shouting that they're a bunch of racists too busy with their books to acknowledge the plight of the black man on the streets and invasions of Jewish Student Union meetings with signs and loud music about how Israel is rightfully Palestinian.
>the clincher: "People of color can't be racist, you scheming kike!"
>>
>>6588461
Jesus...
>>
>>6588470
Yeah, we've had a pro-Palestine student organization display posters saying "All my heroes kill colonizers" and glorifying Palestinian terrorists like Leila Khaled and Hamas. It's especially concerning considering that the definition our university uses for "colonizers" essentially just boils down to "Europeans." I'm getting a decent education in my chosen field (geography/ecology classes with a focus on forestry and resource management), but the left wing bullshit is getting out of hand and seriously making me consider transferring to a comparable university in a red state. I really want to stay in my home state, though. Seriously, I mentioned that I was trans in a class discussion in that LGBT studies class and presented evidence that being trans is a medical condition, that gender is not a social construct (see David Reimer), and that dysphoria is the diagnostic criteria for being trans. People straight up starting calling me a transphobic bitch and a "house tranny." Professor did nothing to stop it. I've since lost all confidence in the left and have become a moderate conservative. Oh well.
>>
File: 1468990748396.jpg (2MB, 5000x2813px) Image search: [Google]
1468990748396.jpg
2MB, 5000x2813px
>>6587633
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEgxS_vzQjU
>>
>>6588453
>MSW
Masters in Social Warrioring ?
>>
>>6587633
>What are LGBT studies classes like?
don't know for sure, but I've heard that they are pretty gay.
>>
>>6588517
Completely agree with you on your trans assessment. It boggles my mind how the SJW morons can say in one breath that "gender is completely a social construct" while on the other hand accept a neurological, physiological basis for trans people, i.e. having a "feminine" brain. You can't hold both beliefs without being a complete and utter fucking moron.

>>6588549
Masters in Social Work - although they really do push "social justice activism" in the classes. However, the social justice spoken about in social work is more along the lines of providing equal resources and opportunities to all people - it's actually not crazy SJW shit you see on 4chan or tumblr. Those students gravitate towards gender/ethnic studies and art.

I chose social work because I want to be a psychotherapist (specializing in substance use disorders) and an MSW is a faster, cheaper, more wide ranging/applicable/in-demand degree than counseling or psychology. .
>>
>>6588587
Best solution: addicts get killed. They're shit people anyway, even post recovery.
>>
>>6588603
Is this where I'm supposed to get all rage filled and post a long response about how addiction is a disease that responds to treatment and blah blah blah?

Because it's late and I really don't care, cutie pie :3 Better luck trolololing in the next thread ;p
>>
>>6588622
Oh I'm actually completely serious, if you had more real world experience you'd hold the same opinion.

Thanks for calling me cutie pie though :3
>>
I don't want to be unemployed.

I have a stem degree, but I think a lot of people underestimate the value of a liberal arts degree. I'm not saying it's all good, but it comes in handy when government policy is being written up. Do you think business and stem majors grasp the nuances, have the connection to different demographics and understand the plight of x and y group? No. Because we aren't taught that.

Yes shit on me if you will, but knowing how to handle different people is important not only for businesses but our nation
>>
Not an LGBT major, but I did say a class. We studied:

- Greek pederasty (yes, I know)
- How Freud and other psychologists viewed homosexuality and transsexualism
- We watched Transamerica, For the Bible Tells Me So, and we watched short documentaries on the "third sexes" in India, known as Hijra, and in some small Mexican communities, known as Muxes.
- We discussed how LGBT are presented in media, like, why is it that there are more personal (kissing, touching, fucking) scenes with lesbians, but very little with gay men?
- We discussed modern phenomena, like the down-low, which is a term to mean a closeted gay man who marries a woman, but lowkey has sex with other gay men on the side
- We also discussed how AIDS was dealt with, like how even though the government had knowledge on it for a decade or so, they did not bother to talk about it until the death of Rock Hudson, so they could have very possibly saved many lives had they actually cared.
- We did presentations, like of LGBT persons we believe made a positive impact on the LGBT community (I chose Benjamin Alire Sáenz -- seriously, you should read his "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" novel; also like five people did Ellen Degeneres).

There's a couple other things we discussed, but I don't exactly remember them.
>>
>>6589440
this all seems like cool stuff that i've always wanted to spend more time learning about. i'm fortunate enough to have my university education paid for by my parents, i definitely want to fit an LGBT studies class in my schedule if possible
>>
>>6588517

Geography is a bit nuts right now, with the main academic theories of the field being based in pomo identity politics almost exclusively, and the other major theories, even Marxism, being discredited for being too traditional and not activist minded enough
>>
>>6591981
For real. I've had people accuse me of being a Nazi on the basis that I don't agree with Marx.
>>
>>6588427
Let's have a look at an LGBT major... so, for example San Diego offers one:
http://lgbt.sdsu.edu/major.html
You have to do a minor in something else but required is:

>Lesbian and Gay Identities in the Modern World

Interdisciplinary field of lesbian and gay studies w/ attention to social and political institutions and development of personal identity. Topics include discrimination, internalized homophobia, political activism, and diversity within LGBT community.

>Lesbian and Gay History and Culture

Interdisciplinary field of lesbian and gay studies with attention to history and artistic expression. Topics include varying attitudes toward homosexuality in history + literary, artistic, theatrical, and musical contributions of the LGBT community.

>History of Sexuality

Comparative and historical approach to changing conceptions of the body, regulation of sexual practices, and emergence of sexual identities. Historical perspectives on body parts, sexual practices, and sexual celebrities invested with social and political significance.

>LGBT Literature and Culture

LGBT knowledge and identities as expressed in literature and culture; changing nature of same-sex desire, sexual behavior, and s-s relationships from antiquity to present.

summer internship with a named LGBT company/charity, and electives like

>Queer Texts and Contexts

Queer knowledge and identities as expressed in literature and culture to include queer theory, history, and experience.

>Psychology of Human Sexual Behavior

Evaluation of behavioral and physiological data of normal, aberrant, and dysfunctional human sexual behavior, including description of available treatment methods.

>Sex and Gender in Contemporary Society

Ways femininity and masculinity are constructed through social arrangements associated with interpersonal relations, family, education, occupations, and economic and political systems. Portrayal of gender relations in mass media and how accomplished in community life.
>>
>>6589329
>more real world experience

Coming from someone who I'm guessing is in xir early 20's, I find that comical ;)
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.