[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CRISPR is the future for many of us. A complete reconstruction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (203KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
203KB, 640x1136px
CRISPR is the future for many of us. A complete reconstruction of the body from stem cells influenced by gene editing. Discuss.
>>
File: image.jpg (213KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
213KB, 640x1136px
>>
File: image.jpg (204KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
204KB, 640x1136px
http://hplusmagazine.com/2014/05/08/total-gender-change-within-decade/

Link if anyone wanted the entire article
>>
Fuck mutilating my organs, I wanna optimize my brain and become a posthuman demigod.
>>
I'm all for optimism about the future, but people who are obsessive about futurism, 'the singularity', 'transhumanism', etc. who try to tell me how everything is going to be magically fixed by zomgSCIENCE reminds me of religious people in a really bad way. Science isn't magic, and although there will be many advances in the next 50 years, it is a good idea to stay realistic.

And I hesitate to call a blog post an 'article'.
>>
>>5340888

Really? Consider this:

When you walk into a room, the first thing you do, proubably without even thinking, is flip a light switch instead kf lighting a candle or sparking tinder with a piece of flint. When you're hungry, you walk over to a white box that keeps food cold and fresh all year long. When you need to go somewhere, you sit in a horseless carriage that can travel up to about 100 miles per hour instead of walking or riding a horse. There are gigantic metal birds that people ride inside of that can take you to the other side of the planet in less than a day, when the voyage by ship or by land would've taken years for your ancestors. You are reading these words, right now, on a logic system that can connect every mind on the planet. Instead of writing a letter to a friend or college and waiting months for it to just arrive, you are able to instant communicate with hundreds of people from anywhere in the world simultaneously. When you're sick, a doctor is able to see inside of your body, identify the aberation, and remove it precisely without causing you to bleed to death or become infected. Human beings have rode flaming towers into the heavens and stepped foot on the moon, and as you breath right now there are men in a floating castle in the sky hundreds of miles above you looking down on this planet.

We already live in a post-singularity world. Our ancestors from the Stone or even Bronze ages would think that we're gods. Science IS the key to fixing everything.
>>
So can this be used to effectively restart my adolescent years as a real grill or no?
>>
>>5340921
It may be the key to our advancement as a species, but it still isn't magic and having unreasonable expectations is setting yourself up for disappointment.

The rapture isn't coming, m8.
>>
>>5340937
Crispr is a technique that makes gene editing successful.

3-D printed scaffolds + tissue engineering may even allow for brand new organs (so, ftms, you might finally get custom made dicks)

It's not magic though, and any medical advance takes many many years of trials and testing. In 50 years or so old hons will be able to pass when they start transition. But trans kids should (hopefully) avoid all that with puberty blockers anyways
>>
>>5340888
I'm with ya, pal. I am hopeful, but the science magic of the singularity cult irks me.

We've been hearing about 3D printed organs how long? Progress is being made, but I just talked to someone about how little has been made. A fully functional nephron is wizardry. Maaaaaybe printed hearts with pacemakers to sidestep the nerve integration. Down the road.

We're not all getting perfect bods and smooth skin soon. Any prediction beyond three years is just coffee shop jerking off.
>>
File: PierceBrown.jpg (65KB, 619x348px) Image search: [Google]
PierceBrown.jpg
65KB, 619x348px
Won't happen for another 500 years. Closest we'll be able to get is altering the genome of a zygote to make a super human of different traits but the level of work you suggest would kill anyone before it could finish.
>>
NPR did an interview too, I wanna say it was on the world but not sure. A quick google of NPR and CRISPR should answer any questions.

I feel you on it but understanding science is truly religious. Beyond nirvana.
>>
File: sex_maintenance.jpg (53KB, 542x295px) Image search: [Google]
sex_maintenance.jpg
53KB, 542x295px
>>5340831
RNAi is better, we've already used it on humans and other mammals and since gene expression is what makes phenotype, you can just switch things on and off.
>>5341001
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20005806
Already done actually.

Most recently with mammals and RNAi.
>>
>>5340831
Maybe if the fucking liberals stopped attacking STEM and demanding they take Ethnic Studies then this might be possible.
>>
>>5341047
That's as nonsensical as the reddit atheists who say religion is the only reason we don't have warp drive yet.
>>
File: 287631907.jpg (25KB, 231x294px) Image search: [Google]
287631907.jpg
25KB, 231x294px
>discussing CRISPR/Cas9 with several researchers friends
>"Man, cancer may finally have met it's match!"
>/lgbt/ can only think about muh tranny issues

Never change, /lgbt/.
>>
The article in OP is complete scifi. As much as I wish I had another body entire I'd settle for 3d printed internal genitals
>>
>>5341074
RNAi is perfect for altering the foxl2/Dmrt1 networks and we already have a viable method of delivery in lipid nanoparticles

Why bother with crispy when already have the low hanging fruit in reach.
>>
>>5341074
>talking about the way a new invention will affect one of the groups that the board is directed at

are you really this stupid
>>
>>5341097
>crispy
Autocorect

RNAi beats sci-fi at any rate
>>
>>5341097
Definitely worth noting RNAi. But the issue isn't delivery by far.
CRISPR is far more selective, so it's more attractive to FDA regulations, which is the bigger hurdle. It's easier to explain as gene knockout therapy, which is less scary to normies and more likely to get approved faster.
And CRISPR has a wider range of application for anything related to genes; so some 90% of human expression. So it's got backup as a solution for cancer, gene disorders, the designer babies, etc.
>>
None of this is "the future" for any of you retards. Generations and generations after you? Maybe. Only if they don't run into any barriers that are unclimbable.
>>
>>5341131
>far more selective
Nonsense, it only affects complimentary sequences and if you're going by nanoparticles, then there's no need to worry about it damaging the integrity of the genome or altering expression in any unpredicted way you would if you were altering sequence.

So long as the pathway is well mapped, silencing is ideal. Crisp can still be useful for adding function, but asides from p53 and other stuff people might miss, there isn't much point given that expression is what actually creates differences between humans.

Fda is shit,till they scrap that fossil I expect most biotech implementation to be carried out in countries with smarter regulatory environments.
>>
>>5341163
>>5341163
The present actually. http://www.researchgate.net/figure/7062963_fig4_Figure-4.-Mouse-dmrt1-genomic-structure-and-its-RNAi-vector.-Target-sequence-was-at-3

They've already used RNAi and delivery mechanisms on humans and animals successfully.

Already have successful animal proof of concepts for this particular use in fact.
>>
>>5341186
>complimentary sequences
Of any CRISPR RNA it's given. RNA is easy to make. We've done that for years and it's cheap as hell. You can probably order something off amazon for $20. We can make a complimentary sequence to anything with a nice primer, 20 nt or so to keep it selective and ship it off provided we know the sequence we're aiming for.

Silencing looks less attractive next to CRISPR is only because why would you let the defective sequence survive when you can replace the entire thing with a brand new sequence? Both are great, but brand new stuff is generally nicer and less prone to mishaps later on.

And yeah, I agree the FDA is shit. It's badly run, as slow as any other government organization, resistant as fuck to change, and heavily corrupted by people who couldn't pass a high school biology course. That doesn't change the fact that researchers need to jump hoops and play by their rules to get anything done until the FDA overhaul. The adult world involves doing shit you don't want to get shit you do want.
>>
>trannies get an easy solution to their problem
>I don't have to listen to tranny shit anymore

win-win
>>
>>5340831
There is nothing I would love more than for this to be true, this could not only help trannies but so many millions of other people,

but transhumanists are the most over optimistic day-dreamy so-called scientific group imaginable. Everything they suggest has 'pipe dream' written all over it.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.