[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> grow up Mormon > family still Mormon > friends still

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

File: FB_IMG_1446801671574.jpg (31KB, 480x496px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1446801671574.jpg
31KB, 480x496px
> grow up Mormon

> family still Mormon

> friends still Mormon

> Mormons have new rules literally making being gay worse than being a murderer

> New rule prevents kids of gay and lesbian couples from being able to get baptized

> see people agreeing with and applauding this decision

I'm not surprised that they said it. I'm just surprised at how much it hurts.
>>
File: 1445001685397.jpg (56KB, 717x720px) Image search: [Google]
1445001685397.jpg
56KB, 717x720px
>>5183635
>not religious
>don't give a shit
life is good in sin city
>>
I never understood how people could be legitimately Mormon. It's as bad as scientology in terms of how ridiculously unbelievable the beliefs are.
Gold plates buried in a hillside? Deity endorsed polygamy? Magic underwear? Banning coffee as sinful? Jesus in America?
Why anyone would listen to what the Mormons say about anything, including lgbt rights, is beyond me.
>>
>>5183690
Adam and Eve? Forbidden Fruit? Original Sin? Son of God? Resurrection? [spoiler] Psycho Mantis? [/spoiler]
>>
File: you fucking wot m8.png (99KB, 315x306px) Image search: [Google]
you fucking wot m8.png
99KB, 315x306px
>be gay
>be mormon
Fucking WHY?
>>
>>5183690
All religions are about as batshit, tbqh.

Christianity has some burning bush and a buncha completely bizarre "miracles," fucking talking animals and making people outta ribs and shit. They're all fucking crazy. Atheism and agnosticism are the only ones that make any sense at all.
>>
>>5183635
>Religious people being irrational

How surprising!
>>
>>5183635
Didn't Mormons once, and perhaps still currently, have a practice where they would baptize people who had already died if they hadn't been baptized in life so that they could have a shot at salvation?

If so, how does the LDS church square that practice with denying baptism to people who are alive currently and want to, (or at least their parents want to) be baptized?
>>
No matter how much you know you are right, how much they are wrong.
It will still take something out of you.
You can laugh it off but to some degree it makes you feel a little shitty.
It sucks i can understand that, i am not religious but its a belief and if you have have family even that can be hard.
>>
>>5183706
what sounds better?

rib people and talking snakes?

or nothingness exploding
Rib people and talking snakes just sounds more fun
>>
>>5184273
>>plebs not understanding cosmogenesis
>>
>>5183690
As an ex mormon all the crazy miracle shit doesn't seem extra crazy compared to normal bible stuff.

Like yeah jesus in america is weird, but so is the world in 7 days and talking plants and jesus fighting dragons and shit. Yeah can't drink coffee but that religion over there can't celebrate halloween or eat meat on fridays so it's a trade off.

Plus when you're whole family is in it it hurts more to leave than stay. You look at it like "yeah, this is weird and maybe I don't believe all of it but hey my family is way closer and we do more charity and are nicer to each other than other families I see so it's worth it". And everyone is just so fucking nice. Like even after I left if I run across someone from the church they're still so damn nice to me and it just guilts me into wanting to go back.

Until ya know all that stops being true cause you wanna be a homo.

Mormons kinda have this belief that there's no real sexuality. Like we're all pan/bi or whatever and we actively have to choose to be straight and good.

That new rule on not letting kids of gays/lesbians get baptized has to be some manipulation for the kids in the church. Cause there's no way a ton of out homos are super sad about not getting their babies dipped in mormon holy water. It's some new rule so they can tell the little kids "don't be gay, or you're kids won't get baptized and go to heaven". Like I could imagine being told something like that when I was little and it would make me not wanna be gay.
>>
>>5183635
I'm just curious. I can see how Christfags can follow the Biblee based on a non-literal interpretation of it, but what is the point of specifically Mormonism if you don't literally interpret that batshit insanity with the golden plates and blacks are evil? There are better churches out there and if you are in a larger city you can find gay christian groups to help you find one.
>>
>>5183701
Xe misclicked during character select.
>>
>>5184707
To be fair to mormons they were hardly the first to do that whole curse of cain = black people are evil interpretation. It's not actually literally in the book of mormon as much as brigham just pushing that particular interpretation of old testament.

The golden plates shit sounds like a lot of bs, but then so does a talking burning bush. That's just how faith do.
>>
>>5184707

Little kids don't make informed decisions, even if they want to rebel they are bullied, beaten, coerced, or cajoled by their parents, their peers, and people of authority until they accept it as "correct' and "right" along with lots of other "right" and "correct" things they don't fully grasp.
>>
Mormonism is really bad, like Evangelical-tier bad except it's for rich white people instead of poor white people. If you like your faith and the sense of community it gives you, consider going to a different church. I was raised Episcopalian and I'm gay and trans and also met my long term girlfriend at my church back home and like everyone is cool with it, it's really nice.
>>
>>5184749
I'm asking in reference to people who can think for themselves and question the world about them.
>>
>>5183635
>Heather will be bullied and will be treated as a freak

>Heathers mommies will be those insufferable cunts in PTA meetings
>>
I'm not Mormon anymore, but now all my Mormon friends and family are going to feel like they have to hope I never have kids because then the kid's spirit wouldn't get a chance to be born into a good Mormon hetero family. It's a load of shit.
>>
Someone explain Mormon magic underwear to me pls
>>
>>5184728
You know, you could just say they instead of sounding like a douchebag Tumblr hipster.
>>
>>5185118
If you went to the temple and did your covenant stuff you wear the underwear to remind you of your vows and also it protects you from evil in a metaphorical way and give you strength to not sin and such.

Kinda like people wear a cross to remind them of jesus and protect from evil shit, except underwear cause mormons don't fuck with crosses.
>>
>>5185126
Then you wouldn't get triggered
>>
>>5185138
Don't forget the anecdotal stories of "bro was in a fire and every part of his body burned except his garments." Bless their hearts.
>>
>>5185220
How could I forget

>lady dies in fire
>EVERYTHING DESTROYED EXCEPT HOLY BIBBLE
>BLESS YOU JESUS

tf why didn't jesus save the lady too
>>
Hey ex mormons does this trigger anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h9noJ4y1TU
>>
> missionaries at laundromat
> leave for a second with their clothes in the dryer
> come back to see the owner proudly hanging their underwear on a display
>muh garments
> missionaries leave the laundromat and dust off their feet of the place
> dusting off your feet is a secret Mormon curse
> the next day the laundromat burns to the ground

Mormon urban myths are simultaneously so weird and so fascinating. Like destroying someone's business was the best revenge for the owner shaming them for being that dick who leaves your clothes in the dryer.
>>
>>5185269
Hahaha, they played that song at a stake dance once when I was a kid. That video is so "mainstream Mormon" it hurts.
>>
File: 1397871080266.jpg (23KB, 284x253px) Image search: [Google]
1397871080266.jpg
23KB, 284x253px
hey OP

I grew up in a family that followed what's called "sedevacantist catholicism"

basically, they follow all catholic traditions from before 1958, because they believe all the popes since then have been literal jewish, communist, homosexual infiltrators from the Soviet Union

I'm a bisexual trans girl, I had to just walk away and cut ties with my dad.

Don't let these medieval haters get you down. You can live on without them.
>>
>>5183700
Yes but the difference is, Mormonism was created at a time when mass communication and travel had already begun to proliferate, so it wasn't the kind of world where the claim could be made that somebody had done a bunch of miracles years ago and realistically have nobody outside of his country hear about it until after his death purely because of the isolation. At least back then it was somewhat believable that huge, difficult-to-prove things could have happened in some far-off place. Nowadays if a meteorite falls in Russia, a political enemy, we still hear about it within 5 minutes of it happening all over Facebook.
>>
>>5189000
>sedevacantist catholicism
Wow. There are still people who follow Sede Vacante Catholicism? Shit, that's fucking amazing. Do you know how much this knowledge brightens my day, to know that this brand of crazy endures?

Also, your family must be incredibly miserable. You have my sympathies.
>>
File: 1409372490596.png (164KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1409372490596.png
164KB, 413x395px
>>5189178
it's fucking nuts

so many popes did awful things, but they're all somehow legitimate
>>
I can't think of a Western white person I feel more sorry for than a gay mormon. That's just unbelievably difficult to deal with. Mormonism is a cult, there's no ifs ands or buts about it. Its dogma and scripture is so ludicrous that any rational person who wasn't born into the faith runs away from it like it's Medusa. Yet the entire state of Utah, most of the state of Idaho, significatn portions of the states of California, Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, Washington and pretty much every Western state are hotbeds for this cult.

I watched a documentary on Mormon atheists who left the church and you're basically exiled to another planet when that happens. You can't see your family or loved ones or children. It's really fucking insane and no better than scientology.

Actually I think scientology has no problem with gay members of their cult (though they do use a person's homosexuality as leverage against them ever leaving the ult) so in that regard scientology is actually better.
>>
File: 1441768140619.jpg (55KB, 403x595px) Image search: [Google]
1441768140619.jpg
55KB, 403x595px
does anyone else here really genuinely HATE religion?

not in an ideological way, where it's all "MUH LOGIC AND REASON AND SCIENCE"

but in the way that religion must be destroyed to protect the kids of the future from facing what we faced?
>>
>>5189677
I don't despise religion because I understand why it exists and I respect the devotion that it creates that allows people like Michelangelo to create masterful works of art based on their devotion.

But I do despise the entire notion of hell and punishment. Telling a child they will endure an eternity of hellfire if they happen to disagree with a mystical, fanciful story is among the greatest forms of child abuse there is.
>>
>>5189677
It provides a useful, easily swallowable philosophy for the mass but it is inherently conservative (in the never-changing way, not the right wing way) so it's outlived its usefulness. Thankfully the numbers of the religious are decreasing rapidly
>>
>>5183635
I feel you anon. Also grew up in a town mostly Mormon.
>Ayyyy lmao utah
I don't think it gets easier. I think values that were taught when you were younger never change. I still think homosexuality is a mental disorder and they are right on the SSA. Guess I'll be alone forever.
>>
>>5190031
>tfw feel the same
>tfw didn't even grow up in a Mormon family, just a catholic one
>>
>>5189677
>does anyone else here really genuinely HATE religion?
More like its followers.
>>
>>5189677
Nah.

I hate people who use religion as a excuse to get away with horrible shit for there own cock stroking gains.
>>
>>5183706
Actually, there's only two talking animals in the bible. The serpent and some donkey that nobody remembers. Probably lower than most religions (Christianity is so boring).
>>
>>5189677
To be honest, overzealous dogmatic religion being taught to children should be considered child abuse.
>>
>>5183635
Why do you want religious people to accept you? Why can't you just realize that intolerance is a self-correcting problem: people who judge you are the kind of people you don't want in your life in the first place.
>>
>>5190349
>tfw I hate fags
I'm not the kind of person I want in my life
>>
>>5190349
I don't think it's about wanting religious people to accept you. Just wanting family and the people you love to accept you, and they happen to be religious.
>>
>>5190349
>people who judge you are the kind of people you don't want in your life in the first place.
That would work if these people couldn't force themselves into our lives.
Unfortunately there's this thing called "society" which stands in the way of getting away from religious freaks.

Also doesn't help that they're the majority everywhere.
Even the south pole has a fucking church.
>>
>>5183837
The baptisms are mainly for people who didn't have the chance to accept the church in life. Not exclusively, though. But since being gay is a sin, they figure that once people die they'll be willing to reject their evil ways and be straight.
>>
>>5190043
Ya I hear you. I think it sucks because you battle your mind constantly
>>
>>5183837
>>5191357
Mormons in my opinion are especially reprehensible for this practice more than anything else. Even when the dead is clearly of a different faith and had the opportunity to convert to Mormonism, they still will baptize them without their will or their family's will.

I remember a few years ago a bunch of Jewish organizations in Europe officially condemned the LDS church for their practice of going through Holocaust records and baptizing those who died in concentration camps

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/mormons-posthumously-baptise-anne-frank-7440503.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/mormons-posthumously-baptise-anne-frank-7440503.html
>>
>>5191900
My grandma is constantly saying she's gonna put my name down so I get put into heaven no matter what and I'm gonna be so mad if I spend eternity with my shitty aunts.
>>
>not getting the fuck out of Mormonism
>>
Honestly I can sort-of see where they're coming from. Christianity is big on the whole honor-thy-father-and-mother thing, a kid growing up in a Mormon same-sex household as a church-going Mormon in a private Mormon school is going to experience a lot of internalized conflict if the parents aren't onboard with the Mormon church teachings.

It smacks too much of those old arguments against interracial marriage out of faux sympathy for the kids who have to endure racial harassment.

Also the Mormons have nothing on the Catholics in terms of being openly hostile to LGBT people. Fortunately there are other churches out there.
>>
>>5183690
Its tenable because the society agrees to it. "Whatever works"
>>
>>5192379
Yeah as a kid my grandma was mormon but my parents weren't. I went to church with grandma but it was always this huge conflict. My mom didn't enforce any of the mormon rules like no caffeine, the family night, or the monthly fast. Then I would cry over thinking of eternity separated from my parents. The teachers told me I could visit them on the other world (but they couldn't visit me).

Then in my little kid mind I figured what was the point of going to church if I was just gonna spend eternity visiting my parents instead. I imagined the afterlife as just stopping by the heavenly kingdom, saying hi to god, then spending the rest of the time going to the lower chilling with my family in darkness, no biggie.
>>
>>5192379
But children of any other non-members are allowed to be baptized if they have their parents' permission.

>>5183690
>Deity endorsed polygamy?
Actually kinda made sense. It was during their "Westward Ho!" phase and more men died than women. Most multiple marriages were to widows who needed to be supported (according to mid-19th century reasoning) and were often celibate.

I fully realize this might just be what they told people after the fact, but if the complaint is "doctrine doesn't make sense" then it only matters that they've got a good cover.

Also, Abraham had two wives, Israel had four, and Solomon had about a thousand (if you count the concubines).
>>
>>5192499
>I imagined the afterlife as just stopping by the heavenly kingdom, saying hi to god, then spending the rest of the time going to the lower chilling with my family in darkness, no biggie.

I wish my four-year-old brain could've come to a realization like that. We were just regular old Christian but I just remember being scared to death of burning forever after I died.
>>
>>5194237
Well mormons don't believe the hellfire kinda hell. Just that it's total darkness and emptiness without the light/love of god/jesus/holyspirit and you don't get to see your mormon family ever again.

I don't even remember learning about the devil or them using that scare tactic.
>>
File: 1439500353344.jpg (30KB, 634x397px) Image search: [Google]
1439500353344.jpg
30KB, 634x397px
Why would you want to be baptized in the biggest meme religion in the world?
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.