[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck is "open bolt?" I cannot seem to grasp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: stalin_bunny.jpg (8KB, 250x229px) Image search: [Google]
stalin_bunny.jpg
8KB, 250x229px
What the fuck is "open bolt?" I cannot seem to grasp this, and can't find an animation for it in Google. I understand closed bolt, duh doi, but wtf kind of gun uses a design where the bolt is pushed forward upon trigger pull? Wouldn't that just slow shit down and over complicate it?
>>
>>35161959
>overcomplicate it
Opposite really. Less parts to get the job done. The Sten is a good example of open bolt.
>>
>>35161959
The bolt is held back by the sear. The trigger releases the sear and the bolt is driven forward by the recoil spring. The bolt has a fixed firing pin, and as soon as it seats a round in the chamber, it fires.
>>
>>35161959
https://youtu.be/_OvWqO7Z6mA
>>
>>35161959
It's actually a far simpler system.

Bolt is retained under spring tension by a sear. It's even possible, albeit unpleasant, fir the sear and trigger to be the same part which means there's only one part and a spring for the entire firing mechanism.

Additionally the firing pin is fixed in the bolt face. So that's one more part eliminated. It fires when the bolt is released and the cartridge stops against the chamber.

Now with a simple sear that's either in the way when the bolt comes back or not, it will either hook on said sear and stop or just keep slamming back and forth until it empties it's feeding system.
>>
The bolt naturally wants to go forward, like comrade in front of blocking detatchment towards enemy lines. Trigger pull lets bolt go forward pushing the round into position and firing pin to slam into rear of cartridge like angry Ukrainian slam shoe on desk in UN. Then, recoil or gas system push bolt back like fascist lines when we go on offensive.

Open bolt very simple, needs mere pull back behind trigger latch to be ready to fire on enemy and makes heat build up less likely to be issue.

Is this explanation satisfactory comrade?
>>
>>35161959
>Open bolt

Ride the trigger back, ride it forward. Shit could go auto uninentionall.

Let m give example. On post I'd slide the bolt back. Then tap the buttstock on floor to make my post buddy shit his pants. Because m249's we're tricky. If I had the bolt racked back it might have fired. Due to the mechanism probably Auto fired for a second or two. But I knew my SAW up down, and back again. Just did it to push his buttons. But unless you know your weapon like back of your hand don't do that. I shouldn't have, but don't bore a 21 year old to death and give him one, or that's what happens.
>>
Open bolt guns have fixed firing pins and can have simpler bolt designs. They're cheap and easy to make while still being fairly reliable. The majority of SMGs prior to the 1960s were open bolt, a lot of GPMGs are still open bolt as well. I also believe that FA Fire is either more reliable or easier to control with an open bolt but I'm not positive on that bit.

>how work
>pull bolt back
>bolt locks in place
>pull trigger, trips sear
>recoil spring pushes bolt forwards
>bolt flies forward, chambers round, and fires the round in one motion
>round is extracted, ejected
>bolt is either caught by the sear or is allowed to keep firing until the trigger is released.
That's how most simple tube guns work.
>>
>>35161959
Open bolt means you have a giant fucking weight under spring tension that gets released when you pull the trigger.

It then strips a round from the mag and slams it into the chamber, detonating the primer and firing.

The bolt is capable of functioning with far less mass than a closed bolt gun because of the fact that the round must overcome inertia when "unlocking" or moving backwards.

Does that make sense?
>tl;dr, it doesn't push the bolt back it simply drops it, like the bolt catch on an AR, but used as the trigger
>>
OP is a topkek, and the posters in the thread are lowkek
>>
>>35162349
Or the guy is just not very knowledgeable yet and we're being helpful. This stuff isn't common knowledge.
>>
>>35162217
>Open bolt guns have fixed firing pins
Not always, but generally.
>>
>>35161959
I was with you, OP. Honestly until Forgotten Weapons started going a little SMG crazy I couldn't fully grasp it, but put in relation to closed bolt guns it makes a lot more sense.
>>
>>35162120
10/10
>>
File: ShadowyTediousIndianrhinoceros.gif (218KB, 300x157px) Image search: [Google]
ShadowyTediousIndianrhinoceros.gif
218KB, 300x157px
>>35161959
>over complicate
The opposite, open-bolt let's you make a less complicated weapon, especially blowback SMGs.

An open-bolt Sten is by far less complex than a closed-bolt Sten.
There's no hammer/striker or separate firing-pin, the trigger group is way less complex.
The action is one moving part, the bolt, which has a permanent firing-pin machined into it's bolt-face.
You can even eliminate the extractor on a design like the Sten and it'd still extract due to the inherent nature of straight blowback.

As for slowing things down, not really, it just sort of does things in a different order from a closed-bolt gun.
>>
>>35163049
Thanks. I miss Ivan.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.