[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No guns here. I come to you with some questions. I have this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: mossberg-maverick-88-feature.jpg (66KB, 750x420px) Image search: [Google]
mossberg-maverick-88-feature.jpg
66KB, 750x420px
No guns here. I come to you with some questions. I have this gun in mind. The Maverick 88 12 gauge shotgun. It will be primarily as a home defense gun, and overall target shooting so I can actually hit he broad side of a barn from the inside. That said, !y concern is what ammo to get? For home defense, I read some people online recommend standard high brass buckshot. While others say low brass, slug, or even a couple recommendations of bird shot for some reason. I live in a suburban area, and worry about over penetration. Don't want to accidentally kill my neighbor If taking down a dindu.

For target, skeet, and practice shooting, what ammo is recommended? Still the same buckshot? I would think that stuff starts to get expensive. Lastly, is the Mossberg 500 worth getting over the Maverick 88? They both are touted as reliable, yet the 500 is close to $70 more for some odd reason. Is there a quality difference between he two that I'm missing? Also
>Inb4 just buy an AR for home defense
I live in NJ. They don't even allow pistol grips on anything now. Plus magazine capacity restrictions.
>>
>>35158867
Normal load #4 Buckshot

Pros
>27 .24 cal size pellets
>1300FPS
>won't overpenetrate if you miss, will go through at least one wall
>>
>>35158867
To my knowledge, the 500 and 590A1 both have more quality aftermarket options for mounting a light, something that is a neccesity in a home defense gun. I would opt for the 500 for this reason over the 88.

For self defense ammo, you will not need any sort of premium load. A subject matter expert on ballistics named DocGKR is known for recommending #1 buckshot for home defense and does not recommend birdshot in any way shape or form.

You can practice with regular birdshot target loads, it costs less and recoils less than buckshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrGL8wexJdA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjIzKRYkR_0&t=4s

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/category/defensive-shotguns/
>>
>>35158928
Ok. #4 seems to be the type off buckshot recommended most. What do the numbers relate to with buckshot? I.e. video games usually default to 00 buck. I'm assuming something to do with the size and/or number of pellets?
>>
>>35158928
Also yes the 500 is worth the $70 increase because it uses higher quality parts and stronger material parts.
>>
>>35158867
>target
Slugs, most ranges wont let you shoot paper with a shotgun with anything but slugs, anyways
>skeet
Birdshot, also skeet shooting is a lot of fun, you'll love it

>practice
Elaborate. Practice for a home defense scenario? Shoot target with slugs to familiarize yourself with aiming the shotgun, but shoot some buckshot or w/e you end up using for defense to know how itll handle.
>>
>>35158950
Ok I see. The potential for a flashlight attachment didn't even occur to me. That alone potentially makes the 500 more appealing. Thanks for the info.
>>
>>35158952
Yes to both for example 12 gauge 00 Buck is 9 pellets .33 caliber size. The gauge number is related to lead balls and weight. Shotguns are really old in terms of their vernacular.
>>
>>35158867
>For home defense
any size buckshot. forget high brass unless your shooting magnum loads. being as you don't want over penetration, don't worry about high brass.
>For target, skeet, and practice shooting, what ammo is recommended?
6-7.5 birdshot. lead shot is cheaper than steel shot. get steel if you by the off chance you might do some waterfowl hunting, but just use lead for skeet.
>>
>>35158984
Oh and I missed your question about sporting purposes. If you want to stay consistent but still able to shoot all games like skeet, sporting clays, trap, etc. fairly well just get #7 Birdshot.

I shot competitively for years.
>>
>>35158977
Really? Ranges don't allow anything but slug huh? Guess they don't want a fuck ton of pellets richochetig back?

As for practice, I mean complete and utter familiarity with whatever shotgun I buy. I want to be accurate, but also able to reload efficiently. God forbid I ever have to use the gun in a real defense scenario, I want there to be as little fuck ups as possible.
>>35158984
Good to know! And yes shotguns as an idea seem as old as guns overall. Doesn't surprise me their ammo and terms are still old school.
>>35159003
Ok so this far from the thread, I'm gathering start card buckshot is the way to go. Specifically #4 due to versatility as many have mentioned online.
>>
>>35159030
Yea I'd like to also get into guns as sport. Skeet shooting always looked fun to me, but difficult. Same with bird hunting overall. I figure if I can not a clay pidgeon out of the air, I should be able to shoot center mass from 10 feet away with little issue should the need ever arise.
>>
it'd be a good idea to know what choke your barrel has. improved or modified are going to be your best bets if you have a choice.
>>
File: 1490336413430.jpg (772KB, 1000x688px) Image search: [Google]
1490336413430.jpg
772KB, 1000x688px
>>35159031
>I want there to be as little fuck ups as possible.

Take a shotgun class. They're cheap as fuck compared to handgun and carbine classes. There you will learn how to properly use a shotgun along with knowledge on how to deal with a lethal encounter. I can give you recommendations for instructors if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4
>>
>>35159079
Didn't even know there were different types of gun classes. I figured you just showed up with your gun of choice, and the instructor taught you the ins and outs. I'll take a look at that video, thanks.
>>
>>35159059
Oh it's a blast man, you'll pick it up quickly enough as long as you just keep shooting. It's certainly good training in terms of target acquisition and reactive shooting. Because you don't really aim a shotgun like a rifle, all you do is line up the two beads (or judge with one) to make sure its in line.
>>
Yep! Get you a Maverick 88, they're fantastic! It was my first scattergat and third gun back in '04. With years of honest wear, it's absolutely smooth and never had a single problem with it.

Funny enough, it gets more use than my Brownings because I don't really worry about dinging it on a mesquite tree and getting it scratched.

Good value, try to get it around $200 or $250 for the Field/Security combo with the two barrels.
>>
File: IMG_0951.jpg (305KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0951.jpg
305KB, 1080x1920px
>i live in NJ, i cant get an AR

First of all, you're a retard
Second of all, learn our laws you mouth breathing retard
Third of all look up stag arms and get a nj compliant ar

>pic related my nj legal ar, yes that mag is capped to 15
>>
>>35159142
You can't call someone a retard and recommend Stag in the same post.
>>
File: don laugh.jpg (15KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
don laugh.jpg
15KB, 413x395px
>>35159168
>>
>>35159168
Fair enough, a bit drunk, just saying they make nj legal ars
>>
>>35159222
Of course they do. Never said AR is illegal/impossible to get in NJ. But with all the restrictions, it just seems !Ike a fucking hassle these days. As for pistol grip being a no go, ex-army coworker of mine said they have these pistol grip guards now. They cover the grip and make it like a normal rifle.

Then again he also said capacity it now down to 10 round mags, so maybe he was misinformed as well. Seems like NJ is all about the attachments. Only considered an "assault" weapon if it has a pistol grip AND a folding/collapsing stock. Not 1 or the other.

Eh irrelevant. I'm probably moving to Kentucky within 4 years. Sorry about a proper AR then.
>>
>>35159264
Its literally just a continuation of the 1994 assault weapons ban
>>
>>35159098
>Field/Security combo with the two barrels.

Do this if you have any interest in using it for hunting or sports. An 18.5" cylinder bore barrel is a terrible choice for outdoors. I also recommend #4 buckshot as an good compromise. You can find a graph for shot sizes but basically buckshot goes
> 0000 large pellets
And descends down to 0, then 1 is smaller than 0 and so forth in a spectrum. BB is exactly what it sounds like,.177 pellets. Birdshot is also numbered on it's own scale.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170913-204510.png (119KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170913-204510.png
119KB, 768x1024px
>>35159287
I was born in 92. Don't know anything about that ban. Guess I should read up on like every gun law because even if they're archaic, theyre still active.

Fucking commies. Unrelated. Found this interesting. NJ signed up for smart handguns only "when the tech is available"
>>
>>35159264

As a military member myself, I can honestly that his background lends him no special credibility outside of issued weapons.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.