[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are navy ships referred to in Feminine pronouns and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: 1jwhww.jpg (78KB, 980x490px) Image search: [Google]
1jwhww.jpg
78KB, 980x490px
Why are navy ships referred to in Feminine pronouns and not masculine ones?
>>
because otherwise you'd be inside a dude all the time lmao that's gay
>>
>>35135256
Because they're filled with seamen
>>
>>35135256
All inanimate objects are referred to as female, unless you're a numale.
>>
>>35135256
you could have easily googled this dumb shit
>>
>>35135274
7/10
>>
>>35135256
Because it's gay to love a man
Guns are girls too
>>
>>35135263
>>35135274
>>35135289
/thread
>>
>>35135289
what about in other languages with gendered nouns?
...you speak more than one language, right?
>>
>>35135411
Ich spreche kleine Duetch. Highschool.

But no, I'm American. Just English. Every one speaks my language, no need.
>>
>>35135443
This. Anglosphere rule the waves.
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 1585x117px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 1585x117px
>>35135256
Replace "mech" with "ship"
>>
>>35135256
old English tradition that the Americans inherited

Russian navy ships, for example, use masculine form instead
>>
File: Bismarck_illustration.png (262KB, 286x390px) Image search: [Google]
Bismarck_illustration.png
262KB, 286x390px
>>35135256
Using masculine forms when talking abut your shoip brings bad luck :

>Captain Lindemann asked that the ship should be referred to as "he", in view of its awesome power.

And pic related is the result. You should treat the lady with respect.

Note that countries with strong naval tradition use feminine pronouns on ships, while the ones with no tradition tend to be mixed bag.

Also , funny fact: Poland, having no proper naval tradition, usually refers to ships as either male or female - it depends on the name.

In 1939 poland navy had 5 destroyers: Wicher, Grom, Błyskawica, Burza and Gryf (well the last one was destroyer/minelayer) . In polish language, Burza and Błyskawica are female names, rest are male. Now guess which two destroyers survived the entire war? Exactly.
>>
>>35135677
>Russian navy ships, for example, use masculine form instead

And russian navy always was a shit, and was never able to compete with other countries... with exception of their pretty good submarine force. And here's the kicker: russian term for submarine is Пoдвoднaя лoдкa - "podwodnaya lodka"- a feminine form.

Activates the synapses, huh?
>>
>>35135765
>submarine
Literally the single most phallic mode of transportationever devised. Luckily the navy's all gay so a feminine penis is fine.
>>
>>35135256
>Why are navy ships referred to in Feminine pronouns and not masculine ones?
The real question is why are they not referred to in neutral gender, which is the only option that makes sense in English language? Also in Russian "ship" is masculine:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%BB%D1%8C
>>
>>35135765
>russian navy always was a shit
Well memed.
>>35135789
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHJSINPuOBU
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>35135765
That's because it literally translates as an "underwater boat", and boat is feminine.
>>
File: iowashipfu.jpg (165KB, 1054x544px) Image search: [Google]
iowashipfu.jpg
165KB, 1054x544px
>>35135256
Because they're female?
>>
As a navy sailor we call them girls because there is no way if fucking hell a man can make our lives so fucking miserable and be such a bitch
>>
>>35135289
Like my ex in bed
>>
>>35138437
Wise Like Serbian Falcon
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.