[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm wondering if a Mainz Gladius would be a good all 'round

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_0085.jpg (22KB, 117x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0085.jpg
22KB, 117x576px
I'm wondering if a Mainz Gladius would be a good all 'round sword for killing home invaders or carrying as a shtf blade. Also were do I find the best value for a battle ready one?
>>
>>35134997
>kill home invader with a sword

Yeah im pretty sure the DA would want to rake you over the coals for that, unless the invader already stabbed you or something.
>>
>>35135012
>Not having Castle doctrine

You can kill anyone with anything. Especially a stranger. If you know the person they might argue that you invited them over and killed them.

Or like I said, you have a duty to retreat with no Castle Doctrine. In which case you're so cucked you have bigger problems.
>>
>>35134997
Gladius is more or less the best melee weapon for home defense, depending on how much space you have. For SHTF outside I'd get something with more reach and hand protection.
Best value will be a cold steel gladius machete or a cobra steel kindjal.
>>35135012
Not every place in the world has a retarded legal system
>>
>>35135012
> DA in California; I'm pretty sure they'd be more adapt to charge me if I use my security six instead of a gladius
>>
>>35134997
Pretty decent for a lack of a gun, it's almost like a machete if it was made for fighting.

>>35135069
A gladius would be a decent sidearm to a Security Six in a pinch.
>>
>>35135124
>it's almost like a machete if it was made for fighting.

Sounds like someone's staring himself blind at the wide blade and forgetting that swords are 3DPD. You don't happen to work as a designer at Cold Steel? But sure, they're like a weaponised machete, in that basically every short sword ever is like a weaponised machete.
>>
>>35134997
Arming sword would be better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1MfZvm0iwg
>>
Why do people, if they insist on not using a gun, always choose blades? I mean, granted, a gun is messy, but what do you think a blade does?
FUCKING BLOOD EVERYWHERE! Blood drying in the air smells horribly - and if you manage to actually gut your intruder, the stench will be something you won't forget.
Seriously, blunt force trauma all the way. A fucking heavy baseball bat, a mallet or something like that is as effective as a blade, but it won't ruin your carpet. Last thing I want is some lowlife ruining my furniture because he decided to fuck with me.
>>
>>35135188
Dude wtf are you smoking that sword looks like it's only useful for swinging which is a little tough to pull off in an apartment with narrow hallways. The gladius is mainly a thrusting weapon and the Mainz/Fulham design allows it to be decent at swinging.
>>
>>35135208
>Reply to Thread No.35134997
Oh I'm a sick motherfucker who enjoys hurting people. I just limit myself to hurting others who fuck with me. So I enjoy the idea of stabbing an intruder in the gut and then while waiting for the emts and police pull up a chair light up a cigar drink some grand mariner and just smile at the poor bastard as he dies.
>>
>>35135124
>it's almost like a machete if it was made for fighting.
Most retarded statement of the year.
>>
>>35135287
Agree it primarily a thrusting weapon.
>>
>>35135036
>>35135040
>person breaks in
>you advance and stab them

To most DAs that's not gonna look like you were in fear for your life. Just use a fucking gun.
>>
>>35135287
Well, machetes were originally just tools for cutting sugarcane. Like other tools (hoe, flail, etc.), they were used as weapons during riots.
>>
>>35135208
Blades are much more likely to stop someone. There's just the intimidation factor, but then you realize that there's a very real advantage of having a blade along the entire length of your weapon. If you're trying to hurt someone with a baseball bat, you need room to swing. If you're trying to hurt someone with a blade, you just need it to contact their flesh, and then you can push or pull. In the close quarters that could be inside a house, that's a bonus. Then we look at damage. If you want to stop a threat with a baseball bat, you've got to hope you hit hard enough to break bones. This could take multiple swings, and if you aren't a strong person, is less likely. A bade can do debilitating damage instantly and with very little effort/strength.
>>
>>35135259
I doubt your mom lets you smoke in the house.
>>
>>35135304
Just kick over your coffee table, knock some shit over.

>There was a struggle
>>
>>35135304
How would they know that I maded the first move? Dead men tell no tales.
>>
>>35135335
I haven't lived with my parents for the last 6 years. Nice try anon.
>>
>>35135225
This why arming sword.
Thing is when someone pulls out knife you suddenly want your own knife be as long as it practically possible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E9_hE5a7fc
>>
>>35135393
Dude narrow hallways how the fuck do I swing this when I have no space to work with. A thrusting weapon makes more sense.
>>
File: 1503189907270.jpg (96KB, 500x687px) Image search: [Google]
1503189907270.jpg
96KB, 500x687px
>>35134997
>that wide, thick blade designed for producing a huge wound for a guaranteed death
yeah sorry the lawyers ain't gonna like that
>>
>>35135422
>what is a gladius
>>
>>35135438
Fuck all lawyers it's the DA I'm worried about.
>>
>>35135327
A mallet also doesn't need much room. And if ever ran into a doorknob or something you know how blunt stuff pushed into you can also hurt. It's not like people go against a door or something. Even a baseball bat has a pointed end and if I ram that into your face, you will notice immediately.
And depending on what kind of blade you have, you don't want to get too close to the guy. A fucking knife? Come on. A sword? You can stab, but hope you won't swing around somewhere.
A spear? That's pretty cool, but not for close quarters.
I never said blunt weapons are better for hurting or killing, just as effective. And the upside is that it won't shed blood. So I go with the mallet and a crushed skull.
>>
>>35135464
A thrusting weapon that is suitable for cutting and slashing.
>>
>>35135304
Not every place in the world is free either.
>>35135188
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtYKkwpx1gw
>>
>>35135613
I fucked it up of course
>>35135208
>>
>>35135476
>A mallet also doesn't need much room
Oh yes it does. You need room to swing your arms. Which could be a problem, especially if the guy gets right up close to you.

And lets say you try and stab me in the face with a baseball bat. Sure, it'll hurt if you hit me square on. Probably at least break my nose, knock out a few teeth. That's if you hit me square in the middle of my face. What about if you don't? Is something glancing off my cheekbone going to stop me if I'm hyped up on adrenaline and/or narcotics of some sort? You've done no real damage, certainly none that's going to incapacitate me. And you're aiming for the head, a rather mobile thing on a person. Getting a square hit isn't likely. And do you honestly think that if you do, there will be no blood? You hit someone like that, their nose is going to be running like a fountain. If you crack his skull, there'll be lots of blood too. Seen someone do that before (albeit with a wall), it wasn't pretty.

Contrast this with a sword. Pretty much any strike can be incapacitating, providing you're not stabbing the guy in the arm. Even non-debilitating wounds are more likely to cause shock. If we go back to the glancing stab to the face from earlier, having your entire cheek opened up is a lot more shock to the nervous system- and one's mind. And yes, even if you get up close with a sword, you can still hurt the guy. I explained how earlier. You ever hear of a push or a draw cut? Now that's not to say it'd be smart to use a greatsword indoors, but we're in a thread about the gladius. There's a reason people talk about it in these situations.
>>
>>35135259
How can one person be this edgy?
>>
>>35135643
You can also swing upwards. If I don't hit you in the face, I can hit your balls. With a mallet.
Also, pumped up on adrenaline or coke or meth or whatever will also not necessarily stop me if stabbed.
>>
>>35135644
Drank too much Mountain Dew as a kid.
>>
>>35135422
>arming sword
>not stabbing weapon
Also with sword you can cut at very close clinch range. It is not most powerful cut, with the middle of the blade and hammer grip, but razor sharp blade vs flesh is bad news for target anyway.
>>
>>35135862
So I'm gonna sit there and nick the intruder to death? A single stab with a wide blade seems the better option.
>>
I work as a professional swordsmith. I've spent more than a decade studying HEMA martial arts.

It would be fair to say in rare moments of ego, that I'm an expert.

So, OP, my answer is:
Buy a gun.
>>
>>35136326
Professional sword smith you say? Interested in some commission work?
>>
File: m772.033va.jpg (63KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
m772.033va.jpg
63KB, 600x400px
>>35136531
way too long a backlog, my prices are way too high for you, and more importantly, I'm not going to advertise my identity on a merovingian snail-jousting board.

plus, I'm not in the US, so probably the wrong country for you.
>>
>>35136802
>merovingian snail-jousting board.
Very classy and appropriate context.
>>
File: 583367.jpg (43KB, 450x579px) Image search: [Google]
583367.jpg
43KB, 450x579px
>>35134997
>>
File: super-gay_c_219614-min.jpg (30KB, 500x534px) Image search: [Google]
super-gay_c_219614-min.jpg
30KB, 500x534px
>>35136326
>It would be fair to say in rare moments of ego, that I'm an expert.
>>
>>35135208
what else do you expect an 'edgy' teenager who can't afford or have guns to do?
>>35135259
now that's what i call
E D G Y
D
G
Y
>>35135327
>A bade can do debilitating damage instantly and with very little effort/strength.
you watch too many movies/video games, cringe worthy desu mate
>>
File: Griffith.jpg (29KB, 900x381px) Image search: [Google]
Griffith.jpg
29KB, 900x381px
>>35136326
>>35136802
Are you the fag that occasionally tries to convince people that Griffith's sword isn't a saber? Because you write exactly like him.
>>
>>35137611
given I have not got the slightest clue who or what "Griffith's" is (other than the name of an ex-girlfriend from about 12 years ago.), or even what bit of weabooo cartoon shit its from, I think the answer to that is "no, I'm not whoever you think I am"
>>
A Gladius has killed metric shit tons of people, but you'd have to close the distance, which is stupid when you can eliminate shitbags from range with modern firearms.

Regardless, these guys make good shit, so if you want one that's actually functional, they're the way to go.

Cold Steel Gladius:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHsmZutP3GQ

That's me in the black.

You're better off with a mossberg 12 ga IMO.
>>
>>35134997
The actual blade sure, but the pommels are actually really big. I'd suggest a short sword with a smaller edge profile and a more compact crossguard. I have a dirk that is pretty close to that description. In your house you really want a good stabbing weapon with a short recovery like a tanto or dagger.

>but I really just keep a shotgun loaded with 00 and the blade in a rack
>>
>>35134997
Cool gladius dude.
I just bought the saber smith one, has a lot off custom features, still waiting for it to ship though. I can't wait to see it.
I really want to get into making my own too.
Dont listen to some of these internet lawyers, not everyone lives in an apartment cuckshed or has shit laws.
With where i live and what i do, no police or let alone any DA are ever going to hear about any home invaders, lol.
>>
>>35135208
Because I've got to use my knife in 3 people and never got to shoot someone.
>>
>>35137900
He thinks you're a fag
>I'm not a fag

Okay
>>
>>35135208
big strong man is better at grabbing blunt weapon than wrist holding sharp weapon
>>
>>35137360
Here's the thing I live in California so I'm pretty sure the DA will be less likely to prosecute me if I kill them with a sword then if I was to shoot them with my security six or Springfield 1903a3.
>>
>>35138102
So, lets get it right. I say "no, I'm not the person you think I am", I'm obviously the person.
if I say yes, I'm also the person.

Great logic there. Sherlock. I see your IQ can barely be counted on the fingers of one stump.
>>
>>35137900
confirmed fag
>>
>>35138153
Fag
>>
>>35136802
I'm an engineer so unless you make swords that are $20k or something along those lines then I can afford your swords but considering of all the ways to tell me that you wouldn't be able take a commission from me you chose the cuntiest of them all by assuming I'm a poorfag so I hope you have a terrible accident that will leave you unable to blacksmith and causes your family to abandon you to die broken and alone.

TL;DR GO FUCK YOURSELF!
>>
File: Chad swordsman.jpg (71KB, 1180x480px) Image search: [Google]
Chad swordsman.jpg
71KB, 1180x480px
>>35137900
>I have not got the slightest clue who or what "Griffith's" is
First day on 4chan? Glossing over the fact that you don't know what Berserk is I provided a pic for the express purpose of clarifying my question because I knew there was a good chance that you aren't the fag I'm talking about.

Get your shit together Anon.
>>
>>35135208
>Why do people, if they insist on not using a gun, always choose blades? I mean, granted, a gun is messy, but what do you think a blade does?

getting cut is painful and absolutely, pants-shittingly terrifying and demoralizing.

getting bludgeoned isn't nice, getting hacked/disemboweled is worse.
>>
>>35135367
They kicked you out at eight years old? No wonder you're so edgy.
>>
File: Smatchet_use1.gif (16KB, 508x371px) Image search: [Google]
Smatchet_use1.gif
16KB, 508x371px
>>35134997

Is reasonably practical design yeah. Get a Cold Steel Gladius or Smatchet machete.
>>
>>35135147
So just use a machete?
>>
>>35138334
>Glossing over the fact that you don't know what Berserk is

Never even seen it. Heard the name before, some angsty shite with stupidly oversized swords, isnt it? Really not my thing.

>>35138320
>unless you make swords that are $20k or something
I'm not fluffy from fucking Angel Sword, so no, I'm not asking $20K, and I dont make shit from "techno-wootz". Thank god.

However if you really wish to know, the reason I would turn you down is simply as this is 4chan. I am not advertising my work here, I am not going to ID myself. You could post up a photo of your dream object, and it be something I really want to make, and I will not, under any circumstance, give out an email, a website, or samples.

That's the plain honest truth why I'm not going to take a commission off here.
>>
>>35138334
Didn't the effeminate fag cuck the MC right in front of him?
>>
File: spanish_falcata_sword_replica_g3.jpg (204KB, 1100x824px) Image search: [Google]
spanish_falcata_sword_replica_g3.jpg
204KB, 1100x824px
>>35134997
spanish falcata
>>
File: 1280px1.jpg (234KB, 1280x866px) Image search: [Google]
1280px1.jpg
234KB, 1280x866px
>>35135327
>>35135643
>a guy hopped on drugs or adrenaline is going to shrug off baseball bat strike, but not a blade
>blood less, the least efficient way of stopping someone, is going to cause someone to go into shock and stop someone faster than blunt force trauma

Blades are more lethal, but that doesn't mean they're better at stopping people.

>Pretty much any strike can be incapacitating
This is the go-to argument for anybody saying a bladed weapon is better than a blunt weapon. It's like a guarantee that the person is talking solely in theoretical terms and doesn't have any actual training.

Swords aren't lightsabers. It doesn't take a lot of effort to make a good hit with a blade, but that doesn't mean the slightest touch is going to grievously injure you. There are plenty of historical manuals where you grab your own or the opponent's blade.

Blunt force trauma works regardless of whether a guy is hopped up on something. You knock a guy out, he's not getting up.
>>
>>35135304
It is probably more time efficient to grab a blade in most cases. If you manage to pick up a gun, aim, and shoot a robber, they will probably end up with an entry wound in their back.
>>
>>35138751
Post one of your swords with timestamp and show the mark.
>>
>>35139352
what part of
>I am not advertising my work here, I am not going to ID myself.

was too complex for you?
>>
>>35138036
Eh, Cold steel have issues, the swords are infamously overbuilt, the gladius is by all accounts one of the better ones they make in terms of functionality. They do make some very nice knives, I had the chance to play with an espada ince and it was impressively good quality work.
>>
I feel like a mace would be good, something steel headed and fairly heavy. No need to worry about edge alignment, just practice to have decent form and make sure you have a fairly short one so it's actually useful inside of a house.

A gun is of course always better.
>>
>>35139366
What is the chance someone could identify your mark?
>>
>>35138036
hold the fuck up, just on the offchance you're being honest, you're this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azt-7ntEgC4

I demand proof. timestamp and tell us about your current actions.
>>
>>35139508
Nah, dude, I'm just fuckin' with you...
>>
>>35139504
high enough that, the last time I put an image with maker's mark and no watermark, I was ID'd and my site had an attempted DDOS that night.
>>
>>35138595
My sides with that one anon. I'm just a late 20's hard working adult who enjoys walks on the beach and indulging my dark passenger from time to time.
>>
>>35138751
Dude you don't have a 4chan email? Don't spaz on me because you forgot that there multiple email providers. Shit I've got 4, aol (personal), gmail (4chan/whatever), yahoo (fuck all), and my work email which I also use as my professional email. Plus I would've posted mine. You really need to calm your tits.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.