[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/, how easy is it to detect IEDs and landmines with the naked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: ANA soldier gets blown up by IED.png (619KB, 1352x621px) Image search: [Google]
ANA soldier gets blown up by IED.png
619KB, 1352x621px
/k/, how easy is it to detect IEDs and landmines with the naked eyes?

is there a 100% guaranteed chance that you'll see them before stepping, or are there some that are too well hidden to be seen? (any examples of this?)
>>
If you can visually spot ied or landmine than someone done piss poor job placing it.

Their job is killing not area denial.
>>
landmines are buried and camuflated by the natural environment and with enough time they get almost invisible if you don't have the exact locations writed on.
They even "move" from the original position over the years because something about rain and earth plaques
>>
>>35133769
I had a conversation with an 11b at the VA, I was an 0311. He was telling me about the different machines they have that sweep that stuff.

I never saw any of that. My ass used a bamboo stick with bone fragment attached on the end, I think from a dead dog. You got to sweep the dirt for wire, because it's buried. They mostly used live wire because we had signal blockers.

Sounds old school but it worked, my unit found more than any other.
>>
>>35133806
Let me be clear, we found more than any unit before us, but we had a hotter AO than most. Plus my squad leader it seemed could sniff IEDs like Barnes could smell a gook.

Movie info: platoon was a loose narration of Oliver Stone's Vietnam days. Charlie Sheen was Oliver Stone. The real life Barnes actually was able to smell gooks, so he claims. And Elias was actually a Native American. Also, before Oliver Stone released the film, he invited all his old platoon buddies for a private showing. All of them agreed it was accurate as could be, for a Hollywood movie anyway.
>>
>>35133769
You wont see a properly hidden mine, sorry.
>>
>>35133769
It depends on the enemy in that area
I always looked for visual indicators such as twine in a tree or indentations in the ground
Also, they Taliban (little T) I dealt with also liked to use trees or telephone poles as aiming stakes.
They also liked to use tank tread marks in the ground as a place to put pressure plates
Simple stupid shit
>source?
>me 0311 when I was along route 611 in lashkar gar
I was the dick head out on point looking for them
>>
>>35133784
The one you see is often the distraction to get you to the more lethal one
>>35133806
Had equipment and ended up using some of your techniques and if the fuckers bury the wire your life sucks
>>35134119
Basically this the gpr is huge with the nonmetallic mines but done right no visible signs >>35133786
Some of what you mentioned is for leftovers from the Soviet invasion and still just as dangerous
>>
>>35134157
This covers the most important current signs
>>
This is the video OP is referencing in his image. It was not an IED, it was a Russian landmine. And to answer your question they are possible to detect 100% of the time, the problem is you have to slow your advance and/or occupation to a fucking standstill to detect them.

I hate to be that guy but "trigger warning" this one is pretty brutal.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nWQOGc78l-g
>>
>>35135756
Allow me to add an asterisk to that. There are wooden landmines with a small chemical charge that are next to impossible to detect, but as far as I know they haven't been used since the 1950s, and even then they were basically prototypes and never fully deployed. They would blow off a toe or a foot at best.
>>
>>35133769
Why doesn't the military use dogs for sniffing out mines? Humanitarian organizations use them to good effect
>>
File: military_dog_ofweek_102512.jpg (289KB, 1036x575px) Image search: [Google]
military_dog_ofweek_102512.jpg
289KB, 1036x575px
>>35135824
Because they do. Not everyone has one tho. About 1 per platoon.
>>
>>35133769
Hard as fuck unless you've been doing it for years and know your enemies m.o.

We had to do this training as part of route clearance shit.
>>
>>35133769
100% guaranted chance
What the fuck are you trying to say?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.