[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /k/ im looking to get into shotguns (right now I have a AR-15

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Hi /k/ im looking to get into shotguns (right now I have a AR-15 and Marlin Model 60) and have my eye on Mossberg. Specifically the 500 Hunting All Purpose Field, 500 Tactical and Maverick 88 Security. I figured get the Field for birds/turkey/skeet/etc, Tactical for home defense, and Maverick for a truck gun. Not really into modifying guns from their stock configurations, and I prefer synthetic so I don't really need to worry about water damage to the stock. Are these good choices?
>>
>>35130312
Yes.
Mossberg 500 is going to be the standard response from /k/.
Good firearm overall and you won't regret it.
I personally prefer the OLD Remington wingmaster 870's, but I'm talking about models from the 70's and many people would rather buy new versus trying to gamble on something from gunbroker or waiting for something local to show up.
>>
>>35131027
>>35130312
I just bought my first firearm and it's an 870, I personally love it. Bunch of furniture kits to keep you happy
>>
>>35130312
Only problem I have with the 88 security model is that it's fixed choke and if you want to change out different barrels for skeet shooting or hunting, you have to buy a whole different magazine tube, too. It's fine if it's just going to sit in your bedroom cruiser ready all the time, but not if you planned on having JUST ONE GUN for everything shotgat-related.
>>
>>35131027
>>35131087
I'd love to buy a 870 because of the crossbolt safety (I used to be in air riflery and those had crossbolt safeties which i'm used to) as well as the 870's sights, but I'd rather buy new and if i'm buying new, I want a higher chance of not getting a lemon. Any chance you guys have barrel length preferences? 28 seems so long (especially when I hold my 16 inch AR and it feels perfect).
>>
>>35133012
you want a longer barrel.
the only reason you want a short barreled shotgun is it looks cooler and hd. if you have an ar you already have a better hd gun. mightas well have a shotgun thats good at being a shotgun meaning for clays or bird hunting. where the primary purpose is shooting shot. stuff outdoors where the extra length isn't a negative. you want the longest barrel you can get.
>>
>>35132962
Yeah fixed choke isn't great, but it's just a truck gun/bedroom cruiser. I'd have the 28 inch field for birds, and the tactical for home defense. Right now I keep the Marlin 60 in my truck, but I definitely need something with a bit more oomph, and i'd rather not leave my AR in my car. I figure ill have the Marlin for smaller things, and use buckshot or slugs out of the Maverick for bigger threats.
>>
>>35133035
Right now i've been keeping the AR ready for home defense, but i'd prefer a shotgun because it'll probably go through less walls, and also if someone breaks in, even if they're wearing body armor or something, they're definitely going to feel the hit from a slug to the chest. I could also do a mix of buckshot and a slug.
>>
>>35133035
Nah, shotgun is probably the most versatile HD gun. #4 buck for dense neighborhoods and 00 for countryside. I know it's all shot placement but if you hit ANYONE center of mass with a mess of 12 gauge buck they're dropping no matter what.
>>
>>35133012
28" or 30" for a field gun.
Go ahead and get that stubby for home defense, its difficult to swing a 28" in a hallway.
But if you plan on bird hunting or skeet shooting, you'll want that extra length and a full choke.
>>
File: IMG_20170823_183814604~3.jpg (1MB, 3978x2032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170823_183814604~3.jpg
1MB, 3978x2032px
>>35130312
There's a model of the 500 they sell that comes with 2 barrels -- a 28" field barrel and a 18.5" security barrel. I picked that up for $310. Only trouble I've had with mine so far is getting some cheap ammo to reliably extract, but that's usually solved by racking the slide really hard. You can't baby a Mossberg.
If you can find an older 870, I would go for it. Those are extremely well built guns.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.