[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people say that stopping power is a meme. I would imagine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_7769.jpg (557KB, 979x832px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7769.jpg
557KB, 979x832px
Why do people say that stopping power is a meme. I would imagine the energy a bullet has would matter a lot
>>
The way I see it, a bullet's energy is kinda like is kinda like a battery. A bullet uses a bit of energy getting to it's target, then the more it has on impact, the more it can do depending on what it is designed to do, for example a hollow point carrying more energy can expand more, or an FMJ can penetrate (or fragment) more. However you have to beware of certain formulas like the Taylor Knockout Factor or whatever it's called because I crunched the numbers once and discovered that a shot put is four times deadlier than a .950 JDJ
>>
>>35128522
>is kinda like is kinda like
Always proofread to avoid sounding like a spazz, friends
>>
>>35128433

Terminal ballistics, especially in regards to low velocity pistol rounds, is the definition of an inelastic collision and therefore kinetic energy is not conserved due to the deformation of the bullet AND the crushed tissue.

Include the fact that a .22 has 95 ftlbs of energy and a .357 has 500 yet a shot to a vital structure is not 5x more effective with the .357.

And the same is said with a shot to an extremity. A .357 is still not 5x more effective than a .22.

And that's in absolite terms. Shit gets murkier when we start comparing service pistol calibers ot worse, different loads and bullet weights within a caliber.

Shot placement is king. Penetration is queen. The rest is angels dancing on pinheads.
>>
>>35128433
>I would imagine the energy a bullet has would matter a lot
It matters, but not really for the end user.
>>
https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

Because this got posted for starters.
>>
>>35128433
Because "stopping power" can't be measured. There are no guarantees in a bullet's ability to incapacitate a threat, even when the bullet strikes vital structures inside the body; the only exception being the CNS
>>
>>35128433
Oh hey it's a new round of terminal ballistics bingo, everybody set your cards up and don't forget to include:
>stopping power is a myth
>if the energy in a bullet could cause damage on it's own then tackling somebody would make them explode AKA the "i punch harder than that" argument
>some fag posting OSS studies(sannow or ellifritz probs)
>ar15.com ammo FAQ
>rabid facklerfags
>courtney and courtney get mentioned like once
>that one anon who kinda knows what he's actually talking about and posts a link to pistol-forum
>people who consider the words of docGKR as gospel
>muh paul harrel "meat" target
>that one youtube video where a guy talks about treating GSWs in general and people claim that it somehow supports their pet theories
and many, many, many, over opinionated and under informed anons

>>35129438
>the definition of an inelastic collision and therefore kinetic energy is not conserved
what do you mean by this? no collisions of macroscopic bodies are elastic, that isn't how shit works. what does this have to do with proving or disproving "stopping power"
>>
>>35129787

>kinetic energy isnt conserved
>proceed to use kinetic energy as a comparison for stopping power

Since kinetic energy isnt conserved you cant say "therefore a bullet with more KE transfers/does more work/converts to heat/insert buzzword"
>>
>>35130746
so where im at understanding wise right now is:

>when a molecule or greater sized body is involved in a collision some energy is inevitably translated into heat/sound/friction reducing total energy in the system.
>this means that as all energy isn't deposited into the target energy can't have any effect on the target

If the interaction was perfectly elastic then the round would bounce off of the person and the person would bounce of the round. For either preferred wounding mechanism to happen an interaction must be inelastic.

I don't see how KE not being a 1:1 indication of terminal effectiveness disproves it being a factor and IDK why you're bringing elastic vs inelastic equations into this.

Not even trying to take sides as to stoppan powah vs facklerism, just wondering how that's supposed to potatoe
>>
File: porkbbq.png (793KB, 601x600px) Image search: [Google]
porkbbq.png
793KB, 601x600px
Because our ancestors hunted for thousands of years with arrows going 150 fps or how ever fast a broadhead can go. A few hundred feet less or more doesn't matter when it comes to take down power, but retards on here think it does.
>>
File: 20170404_163153-2993x3991.jpg (2MB, 2993x3991px) Image search: [Google]
20170404_163153-2993x3991.jpg
2MB, 2993x3991px
>>35128433
I got 16 "arguments" loaded into my nine to convince a nigga to stop fucking with me. And if if they want some mo, I got another clip for em. Yuung Fleezy ain't getting down with no high price ammo shit. My nine is cheap. My nine will drop a fucka. My nine shoot real smooth and fast.
>>
File: IMG_20170910_194927.jpg (146KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170910_194927.jpg
146KB, 600x450px
>>35131103
You gotta get you one in Gods caliber son, stopping power bitch!
>>
>>35131103
>~1$ per round
>not high price ammo
Pick one.
>>
>>35131007

Because retards use KE as if it's a 1:1 factor. That .22 isnt even worth using on a threat even if it's all you have and that fotay fie stoppan powa cant even compare to low grain .40 because one has 35 more ftlbs.

Or when people move past the full retard line and start talking "muh energy dump".

And then to say that one believes in energy as a predictor in a bullet's effectiveness yet dont understand why people call them retarded by explaining how a tackle from a HS linebacker wont kill you even though it packs shotgun slug energy, or how brushing your hand against a moving ship doesnt turn you inside out.

This is why stopping power is a meme and humanity was a mistake.
>>
>>35131026
Oh fuck that shit looks good, what is it?
>>
>>35128433

Because they compare things of similar energy output.

If you were to compare a .22 to a .50 AE, then you would have an argument.
>>
>>35133069
Look at the file name. Id guess a pork bbq sandwich with an onion ring on it.
>>
Stopping power depends on where you aim, if you aim at the head he stops living, shoot him in his leg he'll stop walking. Pretty simple to me.
>>
File: Lapdog.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Lapdog.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
Bullets kill by putting holes into the human body, not by transferring energy to them. Whether you stab someone at high speed or low speed, they still die. It's the same principle with bullets.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.