[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/, I've never browsed here much. I want to become

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2530.png (804KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2530.png
804KB, 1242x2208px
Hey /k/, I've never browsed here much. I want to become a gun owner and I live in az. Im 18 and don't know anything about it. I was wondering if someone here could talk to me about it so I could learn what I need to know or to get.
>>
why do you want a gun? blasting intruders, preparing for disaster, hunting? just because they're neat? any reason to be armed is a good reason, but the answers are different depending on what purpose you have planned. what's your price range, do you live in the city, or a rural area, do you live alone or with family/roommates, do you live in an apartment?

not trying to bombard you with questions, really, but we need to know more to help you pick out what best suits you.
>>
>>35120942
I'm wanting to own for self defense so probably a handgun but I would like to shoot for fun at target ranges. I don't necessarily wanna cheap out but I don't wanna save up more than 500$ to spend. I live with family still since I can't afford a home
>>
File: hipointcarbine.jpg (30KB, 1000x317px) Image search: [Google]
hipointcarbine.jpg
30KB, 1000x317px
>>35120964
well, first of all it's illegal in most states for vendors to sell a handgun to anyone under the age of 21. judging by a number of factors, I'd say your best option is a hi-point carbine.

they're rugged and reliable, accurate enough, and chambered in a pistol caliber of your choosing. That way when it's time for you to pick a handgun, you can have commonality of ammunition, which eases your logistics.

also, it can be loaded with hollow-points. this both increases the likelihood of your first shot stopping an assailant, and also reduces the chance that if you miss, your shot will penetrate the wall and hurt someone on the other side (which is why I was asking about your living arrangements)

they also have one of the largest selections of aftermarket parts available so you can really tune it to your exact needs.
>>
File: 637769_ts.jpg (35KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
637769_ts.jpg
35KB, 1155x1155px
>>35120964
Maverick 88, better for home defense than a pistol, reliable, and cheap. Plus you can trap shoot or go hunting.
>>
>>35121049
>>35120964
also they usually cost $300 or less new in box. if you save up $500 first, you can get the gun, a sling, a few extra magazines and several boxes of ammo and still have enough money to get a nice dinner on your way home.

if you (or any other new shooters) have any other questions I'll keep an eye on this thread
>>
>>35121072
honestly if you're inexperienced there's a slew of things that can go wrong with a pump gun like short stroking, also maneuvering in tight quarters with a full length shotgun can be difficult. if you're nervous and disoriented trying to face down a robber in the middle of the night, you can outright miss (esp. with slugs), short stroke without realizing it, and be left with nothing but a gun-shaped club.

but indeed, 000 buck will usually disable (or outright kill) an assailant on the first hit at close range, and further (50 yards+) if you know your shot pattern. It's a good option, probably the best behind a shorty AR or a PCC like >>35121049 suggested.
>>
>>35120896
Go to the gun show this weekend it's at the fair grounds plenty of people to talk to their
>>
>>35121049
>also, it can be loaded with hollow-points.
I'm guessing you've never tried to run one with hollowpoints? The feed ramp has a hard time with anything other than ball or JFP. Even JFP is borderline unreliable. If you load a magazine with Hollowpoints I can grantee it will jam before you get through all ten. You could certainly keep the +1 as a hollowpoint in order to have a better opening shot, but you really should stick to ball rounds for a 995.

That said the rest was spot on. It's a good carbine, even if people shit on it for being a poorfag's gun. So long as you give it ammo it can eat it'll chew through buckets of 9mm before it needs cleaned. Part of the reason for that is the action is overbuilt, simple, and rock solid. Since you can't feed it hollowpoints, your best bet for defensive ammo is a heavy grain bullet on a +p charge. Or +p++. I'm pretty sure it's actually impossible to KB one of those short of loading a wrong caliber cartridge.
>>
>>35121049
That's sort of my problem. I'm not sure about all the legality and everything. Do I need to be background checked and have some kind of license. And if I get pulled over and have a gun in my car cause I just bought it or if I'm going to the range or hunting then is that ok? I'm not sure if I have to do any weird paperwork or if I can just buy it and be off on my own business
>>
>>35121196
If you're in AZ it should just be a 10 minute background check and a form 4473 they'll hand you if you buy from a dealer, and nothing at all if you buy from a private individual.

I know transport laws are extremely lenient in AZ, especially compared to my shithole, but you should still find out if there's anything special you need to do. Wikipedia has a page for gun laws by state that gives a pretty good overview.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.