[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't Marines soldiers? They're basically soldiers,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 17

File: 1499636387972.png (2MB, 2900x2200px) Image search: [Google]
1499636387972.png
2MB, 2900x2200px
Why aren't Marines soldiers?
They're basically soldiers, so why does everyone throw a shit fit when they're called soldiers?
>>
File: 4.jpg (385KB, 1280x1821px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
385KB, 1280x1821px
>>35115226
>tfw no qt giantess gf
anyway to answer your question they are, they are just infantrymen stationed on ships, but are not fucking elite special forces, just a quick deploy naval version of the army
>>
File: 1499478364375.png (1MB, 1208x859px) Image search: [Google]
1499478364375.png
1MB, 1208x859px
>>35115236
Feels bad

Also my point is Marines aren't referred to as soldiers, and when they are some jackfuck tries to correct the statement and say you can't call them that.
>>
>>35115226
why does everyone throw a tantrum when someone calls a magazine a clip
>>
>>35115260
Because it shows you are low class and uninformed, you speak like a Dindu, repeating an 80 year old meme that has long grown stale. This shit was stale when grandpa was fighting the Japs
>>
>>35115260
There's an actual difference there, though.
A stripper clip and a magazine are significantly different.
A Marine and a soldier are basically the same thing.
>>
>>35115226
By basically every definition they are Soldiers.

But its a morale thing. It distinguishes them from the Army. The Marines have a separate role and it reinforces that while also giving a sense of status. Both have some value.
>>
>>35115226
Never thought I'd see GTS images on /k/
>>
File: IMG_5255.jpg (64KB, 750x648px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5255.jpg
64KB, 750x648px
>>35115275
By literal definition they are not
>>
>>35115226
We are soldiers. We are just a specific kind.

I don't correct civilians if they call me one, how would they know anything? If it's another service member like a Airman, Soldier, or Sailor, they know better and are busting balls on purpose.
>>
>>35115563
>I don't correct civilians if they call me one, how would they know anything?
>AKSHUALLY
>>
>>35115572
It'd be akshially if I corrected them.

2/10 bait. So we'll make it 1/5.
>>
File: actuallyits22.jpg (57KB, 663x639px) Image search: [Google]
actuallyits22.jpg
57KB, 663x639px
>>35115226
>why does everyone throw a shit fit when they're called soldiers?
because they're an insane cult of retards.

>Don't assume my military title grrrrrrr!
>>
>>35115581
>2/10 = 1/5
Very good, but what about 4/10?
>>
File: Army.png (7KB, 596x173px) Image search: [Google]
Army.png
7KB, 596x173px
>>35115545
Unless you want to argue that Marines are still primarily used for boarding, using google definitions isn't the best argument.

Even the Marines role in Amphibious Warfare would still fit under fighting on Land.
>>
>>35115615
2/5. But you should of gave a harder one like 3/10.

This is 0/10 bait.
>>
>>35115617
Marines are hardly even an amphibious force anymore. Their land attacks made complete sense in the Pacific during WWII because Islands aren't very big and require amphibious tactics. But fucking around deep in Afghanistan and Iraq? That's something the Army is better suited for.
>>
>>35115629
Marines aren't supposed to know about zero! Who told you this?
>>
>>35115226
>Why aren't Marines soldiers?
Because they're Marines, not soldiers. Dumbass.
>>
>>35115659
This brings up another good point. Why is soldier not capitalized but Marine is?
>>
>>35115643
>Marines are hardly even an amphibious force anymore
Yup thats pretty much my point. They're rarely used as "Marines" and even if they were the line is a lot blurrier now than it was back in the days of Wooden Ships and Iron Men.

That said, some people say that that isn't the role they need to fill anymore and the Marines new role is a Miniature Military. Something with less organizational inertia but still a wide range of organic assets/combined arms options that can be used when it would take time to roll out the Army and Airforce. There's a need for Rapid Response and Expeditionary Warfare, and the Marine Corps existed as a convenient structure to be converted.
>>
>>35115671
>Why is soldier not capitalized but Marine is?
Its not. People capitalize it as part of the organization name like how they capitalize Army, but on its own its a normal noun.
>>
File: 1493638741335.jpg (418KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1493638741335.jpg
418KB, 2048x1536px
>>35115524
nothing we do here should be surprising
>>
File: snek friend watches art.png (377KB, 626x885px) Image search: [Google]
snek friend watches art.png
377KB, 626x885px
>>35116036
Huh, that's a neat pistol. Is there a screen cap of the thread that inspired this?
>>
File: a7b.jpg (44KB, 680x364px) Image search: [Google]
a7b.jpg
44KB, 680x364px
>>35116196
i think its airsoft some jap made, but i dont actually know
>>
>>35115581

>able to simply fractions

most definitely not a marine
>>
>>35116286
>Can't say simplify properly

Army or retarded, same difference.
>>
>>35115545
Those definitions are shit. A soldier is someone that recieves the same pay regardless of the number of hours he works in the month. Since it tends to be illegal, only military personnel are subject to it.
>>
>>35116215
Okay, thanks anon.
>>
File: 1496506994811.jpg (127KB, 459x573px) Image search: [Google]
1496506994811.jpg
127KB, 459x573px
>>35115563
>>35115275
Thanks for the helpful answers.
t. OP
>>
>>35115260
I'll throw a tantrum on the interwebs because there is a difference. They both do a separate functions and one cannot do what the other does
>Clip
A clip is a feeding device for the magazine. It can only load cartridges into a magazine whether its a detachable mag or a non-removable internal mag. There are some instances (like the En-Bloc) where you feed the entire clip in to the firearm. Does this make the En-Bloc clip a magazine? No. The weapon that receives the En-Bloc has an internal mag that has the actual means of feeding a round into the chamber.
>Magazine
A magazine is a feeding device for a firearm. I contains some sort of spring and follower that presents the cartridge in the proper position for the bolt to send it to the chamber. A magazine cannot load a clip. Without a magazine you can only single load a firearm. A clip cannot facilitate what a mag can do.

Saying clips pretty much points you out as someone of limited knowledge and or interest. Like how antifuns gleam over and skim everything they read about guns to the point that they think getting hit by a bullet knocks you back 20ft while the shooter stays put and that the entire cartridge flies out of the barrel when you pull the trigger. More thrust per squeeze and wot not.

irl i don't call anyone out on it unless i know that they're into and want to learn about gun. Anyone that unironically uses "clips" gets a "watch out for this guy. Prone to talking out of his ass"

you steamed my beans just right anon.
>>
>>35115226
>so why does everyone throw a shit fit when they're called soldiers?
Jarheads are low-iq retards. They even have their own version of "World Star" videos where they autisticly scream "Stolen Valor" at people who wear camo in public.
>>
>>35117338
Sounds cringey
>>
>>35117626
It's cringey as fuck when the SEALs do it too. Even worse because the guys wife does it with him.
>>
Soldiers = armed people in a states armed force.

Thats what it should be, ignoring your mongoloid murrican definitions
>>
>>35115226
The army is there for a pension
The marines are apparently there to kill a dragon or a wizard or something
>>
File: large_000000.jpg (99KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
large_000000.jpg
99KB, 800x800px
>>
>>35117701
>The marines are apparently there to kill a dragon or a wizard or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mplEt-7HNR8
>>
>>35117819
That made my day.
>>
soldier≠warrior
>>
File: 1355492978941.jpg (143KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
1355492978941.jpg
143KB, 472x472px
>>35117777
>>
>>35115643
A desert is basically an ocean with sand instead of water.
>>
>>35117777
Well that answers that
>>
Having us go by a different name is a useful mechanism. Helps with politics and helps with social manipulation. If a politician says something about what our "soldiers, sailors, and airmen" are doing, they aren't technically talking about us.
>>
>>35117819
>that commercial got so many guys, man.
>>
>>35119034
>doesn't know how to green text, man
>>
>>35115226
more
>>
You know, just for fun, this is actually a kinda interesting and related to the history of the Marine Corps. I read up on what I'm gonna talk about like, 5 years ago and I'm just gonna spit it out from memory so I'll be vague with the detail but:

Basically, The US government has tried to get rid of the USMC a bunch of times. We've had a bunch of presidents who served in the Army and some from the Navy, even one from the Airforce (George W. was air guard reserve) but no Marines. So from a logistics perspective we're, historically, just a pain in the ass as far as U.S. presidents are concerned. The biggest and most influential push that I'm aware of is the post-ww2 restructure.

We liked some of the structure of the German military and this is where the Airforce became a thing. It's also right after when the joint chiefs of staff got made I think? Anyways, we decided to compartmentalize our military better and we wanted a Airforce. Both the Navy and the Army had boats, planes, and warriors (Soldiers and Marines) and it meant a lot of redundancy. So they negotiated an agreement under the presidents orders (I think it was Truman). The Army was willing to give up their air program and their boats but the Navy didn't want to loose their Air program on the grounds that they had aircraft carriers and they wanted specialized pilots and research funding for exclusive navy use. Supposedly, the Army Generals made a deal with the Navy Admirals at the Pentagon to both sign off on a plan that got rid of the Army's boats/planes but let the Navy keep their air program on the condition that they got rid of the Marines and left the soldiering to the Army.

The Marine Generals at the pentagon got the formalized plan a few days before it went up to congress and, while it didn't specifically get rid of the USMC, they noticed that it totally left them out. As a reaction, when the plan when up before the legislative branch, the Commandant of the Marine Corps gave this kickass speech.
>>
File: image.jpg (153KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153KB, 1280x720px
>>35119075
>>
>>35119236 Cont.

I believe that speech is the origin of the adage "The USA doesn't NEED a Marine Corps, they WANT a Marine corps".

Congress and the senate were moved by his speech, It was like and hour long and included so badass moments in Marine Corps history, it resulted in them modifying the plan on the floor to guarantee the Marine Corps continued existence and use and they passed it right then. Commandant didn't tell anyone before the speech so it totally blind-sighted the President, the Generals, the joint chiefs, and the Admirals that agreed on the plan. President made the Commandant "resign" as a result.

The end result of this though was that, the Army was firmly the branch that had warriors, no planes and no boat. The Ariforce was the branch that had Planes, no boats and no warriors, the Navy had boats and planes but their warriors were the Marines and, since they were part of the department of the Navy, the Marines were the ones who could have ALL THREE.

As a result, we've been structured ever since to be a shock troop force. We're not special forces or anything but we're smaller and we move quicker and we have our own planes and everything so we're the quickest to organize. Technically though, a Marine could work on a boat carry a rifle, or be a fighter pilot in equal capacity and that's normally of true of the other names "soldier/airmen/sailor". Part of why we point out the difference.
>>
>>35119346
Jesus I need to spell-check myself better, sorry.
>>
>>35116311
that's what a salary is idiot
>>
>>35119236
>>35119346
It's true, the US doesn't need us, but they do want us. People think it's a big deal. Actually nobody who's a real person does, just a select few trolls. I have upmost respect for Army guys but I'll also tell them to suck my dick if I feel like it. It's just smack talk, like two guys on a rival football team.

Armchair generals. What's the point of having 2? Why do you think the founding Fathers created the Legislative, Judicial, and Executive powers. To balance and check the authority of government. 3 different branches who work in unison. We basically modeled the military in the same fashion, except we had to add a 4th because we didn't have flight back then.

I'm starting to rant but the memes are out of control. At least it died down a bit because school started.
>>
File: 1502459890265.jpg (91KB, 618x645px) Image search: [Google]
1502459890265.jpg
91KB, 618x645px
>>35115545
>implying the US Navy is an Army
Anon, please quit being thickskulled on purpose. Army implies ground forces. Marines are a branch of the Navy, which is on the ocean. Therefore we can draw the conclusion that those faggot Marines are not in my Army, meaning they cannot call themselves soldiers^TM.
>>
>>35115545
Literal definitions mean jack shit
>>
>>35115260
Because many here think all clips are stripper clips. A magazine is also a clip.
>>
>>35121965
>Because many here think all clips are stripper clips.
Yes, not all clips are stripper clips and many people get this wrong.
>A magazine is also a clip.
No. A magazine is responsible for feeding the rounds, whether its fixed or detachable. This is why, for example, a Garand still has a magazine despite using a En Bloc Clip.

All clips are used to load magazines, with MAYBE the singular exception of Moon Clips for revolvers.
>>
>>35115260
It's like calling a car a truck. It just sounds retarded.
>>
File: USMC.jpg (76KB, 960x546px) Image search: [Google]
USMC.jpg
76KB, 960x546px
>>35117777
Those quotes are there for a reason, anon
>Tuna: "Chicken of the Sea"
>>
>>35115226
their DOD check is approved thru the navy
>>
>>35119897
Learn to read.
>>
The reason marines exist is so the army tards could finally have someone to look down on to make them feel better.

Also
>>
File: promotion.png (240KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
promotion.png
240KB, 500x382px
>>35118212
>>
>>35115704
you get it. The new Marines started to form during the aftermath of the first gulf war experiences in the 90s. A lot of old timers do not like it, but they are transitioning to fill an organic/ rapid strike niche that exists because the USSOCOM elements are hard to retain and train, and there is never enough.
>>
>>35115226
Marketing
>>
>>35115260
Because gun owners are pretentious but there's no barrier of entry to owning a gun
>>
>>35115643
>That's something the Army is better suited for.
Which is why the Marines had to recapture the cities they lost, right?
>>
>>35117777
USMC
B T F O
T
F
O
>>
>>35115226
If a certain percentage of people where born and grew up to be giants/giantesses(around the size of the ones in the OP) , do you guys think people would lobby for the repeal of destructive device laws so the could own guns too? Or maybe hunting guns for giants would qualify large calibers as having sporting uses?
>>
Because people want to be special snowflakes. That's why "warfighter" has replaced soldier as the catch-all term.
>>
>>35123890
Pretty sure the Army got BTFOd by the Marines. Learn to understand.
>>
>>35123951
Wat?
>>
>>35115269
>except how they train, fight, operate combatitvly and logistically, dress, talk, and mindsets.
Yea sure same thing.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.