[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Canada have slightly better gun laws and a more prominent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_8513.jpg (18KB, 300x141px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8513.jpg
18KB, 300x141px
Why does Canada have slightly better gun laws and a more prominent shooting community.
They seem to be more liberal in general
>>
Guns played a sizable part in the history of Canada, so they're part of the fabric of the country.
>>
File: Coureurs des bois.jpg (59KB, 726x368px) Image search: [Google]
Coureurs des bois.jpg
59KB, 726x368px
>>35113192
>More liberal
Depends on your definition of "liberal", I suppose.

>>35113223
You're not wrong.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (154KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
154KB, 1200x1600px
Proximity to the USA is the main reason with a tinge of Canadian history.

Trudeau is going to bring back a gun registry for long-arms.
>>
>>35113192
>our laws compared to aussie
"""slightly""" better

And to answer your question, liberal doesn't always mean the picture of a scared overprotective soccer-mom or a retarded SJW. This is a perfect example of how playing identity politics like this often betrays reality. Canadians don't conform to the right/left tribalist standard as much, and as such policy is on an arguably more individual basis than in America, where both parties have completely idealistic, opposite ideas for the country and will fight to the death until their perfect solution is achieved.

TL;DR Just because the country's more liberal doesn't mean we're all extreme-left cucks, and not all liberals are extreme-left cucks either.
>>
>>35113309
They ran under a very clear message of specifically not doing that. There have been news articles about how much rural support they would lose if they did that
>>
>>35113324

It will happen. I would be willing to bet all of the money in my pocket that it will.

Do you think politicians never lie, lad?
>>
>>35113346
They've already broken on major campaign promise, electoral reform, which was something that a lot people voted them in for. If they break another one, they'd be suiciding their chance at getting in again in 2019

Having said that, I can see Trudeau actually doing it, without realizing how hard he'd be fucking himself over by pissing off the rural voters
>>
>>35113404
>If they break another one
Weed, electoral reform, the native women investigation joke, Omar Kadr (this isn't a broken promise but pissed everyone off).
There's a lot of shit to bring up at the next election.
>>
Wasn't Australiia colonized by a bunch of prisoners or rather ex-prisoners
>>
>slightly

Canadian gun laws are fucking somalian tier compared to autistralian draconian laws
>>
>>35113692
So was much of the "New World". Doesn't really matter anymore. The King of France sent literal prostitutes just to boost the population.
>>
>>35113346
>>35113404
>>35113525
I know how left trudeau and his government is, and that they've flipped on a lot, but even Ralph Goodale, has made it seem pretty clear that they have no intention of doing so, or at least doing so in this term
>>
>>35113743
I mean, they gave Harper a Majority last time by fucking with gun owners and they know it.
>>
>>35113192

In Austrailia, all of the dangerous animals are small enough to step on where as in much of Canada venturing into the wilderness without a firearm is a great way to get yourself killed. Firearms are necessary tools in many areas when there are 1000lbs+ animals that want to fuck you up.

There is also the fact that we share the worlds largest undefended border with the US and any attempt to take all our guns would do nothing to solve our very limited gun crime.
>>
>>35113192
they have to keep the prisoners in check
>>
>>35113755
Does gun policy really change voter numbers that much
>>
>>35113902
you'd be surprised
>>
>>35113241
>Depends on your definition of "liberal", I suppose.
Left of center?

We are, on average
>>
>>35113902
When your country has LIONS (Mountain), BULL MOOSE, AND POLAR & GRIZZLY BEARS (OH MY).

Getting rid of firearms makes little sense.

In addition, Canada has low gun crime compared to its southern neighbor.
>>
File: 800_NDP_AD_111128.jpg (26KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
800_NDP_AD_111128.jpg
26KB, 300x168px
>>35113902
The story is long and kinda fucky, but here goes...
In the 90's, the Liberals pass a fuckton of gun control, including a long-gun registry. They claimed that it would cost 2 million dollars total. Compliance was estimated to be well below 50% (Cooey alone manufactured more firearms in Canada than were ever registered) and, after decades of it being in place, no one could point out a single criminal case that was solved thanks to the registry existing (though we could point to many firearm confiscations from law-abiding citizens). It also ended up costing 2 BILLION dollars by the time it was scrapped.

The thing is, many MP's for both the NDP and LPC were in rural electoral ridings and, as you would expect, the registry (or gun control as a whole) was not particularly popular there, so those MP's would say things like "If it ever comes to a vote, I'll vote to scrap it!" thinking that there's no way it'll ever come to a vote.

In come the Harper government. It was a long string of minority governments and they were the only party in parliament that actually wanted to loosen gun control, so to say it was difficult to get a bill passed was an understatement. Parties just whip votes. The leader says "vote this way" and that's how the MP's vote. So a CPC MP decides to put together a Private Member's bill which, historically, has always been a free vote. Bill C-301, as it was called, was fucking awesome. It got rid of a ton of regulatory bullshit and was just all-around great.

For instance, instead of having to get an Authorization To Transport handguns and other restricted-class firearms that you already lawfully own and would still remain registered after the long-gun registry was abolished, that would just be baked into your firearm license to begin with. It'd save time, money and hassle for everyone. How the media and other parties decide to spin this is that gun owners would be CC'ing pistols and shooting antimaterial rifles at babies.
>>
>>35113993 (cont.)
So, despite the "criticisms" leveled against the bill being outright lies and fearmongering, the other parties had ample "reason" to vote against the bill. So another CPC MP takes JUST the part of the bill that deals with the long-gun registry, and I truly mean ONLY that portion, and puts it forward as her own Private Member's bill (C-391). The whole text of the bill is two pages long and that's in both languages WITH all the legal jargon. Shit was the most concise fucking bill you've ever seen a politician write.

So, how did the supposedly "free" vote go? Well, the Bloq Quebecois whipped the vote, the Liberal Party whipped the vote and then the NDP whipped the vote JUST ENOUGH so that some of their rural MP's who had promised to vote to scrap it could keep that promise while also making sure that the vote was lost by ONE VOTE. Not even joking.

The following election, the CPC won their first (and so far only) majority and shoved C-42 down the throats of every other party, making many of the changes that were in the original C-301 bill.
>>
>>35113192
history of being eaten by bears
>>
>>35113346
No, it won't. Non-compliance this time around will be astounding. I can guarantee the majority of the serious shooters at gun clubs will not do it, and continue to shoot their guns, just like with the CZ-858/Swiss Arms, and just like with the FALs and G3s. Western Canada is a political blindspot compared to the centre of the universes that is Ontario and Quebec.
>>
Look at us on Google Earth. Zoom out till you can see the whole country.

See all that green? We just use cities as numale/Justin Trudeau voting cocksucker containment facilities; the rest of it is hunting grounds.
>>
>>35113404
I hope the fucking bubbleheaded sock puppet spokesbabe does. It'd guarantee another 3-4 terms of non-Liberal government.
>>
>Why does Canada have slightly better gun laws
>slightly better
>slightly
Australia's laws were made up by a glorified weasel accountant, and written in such a way as to make it virtually impossible for a state to remove once agreed to.
>>
>>35113755
Lmao you cant actually believe this, yeah man this one minor issue totally swung the campaign to the point of a majority government being formed. At best it was tangentially related because the component of the electorate who really care about firearm laws are generally also not huge fans of federalism.
>>
>>35113404
>without realizing how hard he'd be fucking himself over by pissing off the rural voters
Its irrelevant since politically speaking the electorate outside of toronto, montreal, and vancouver doesnt matter
>>
>>35113192
>slightly better gun laws
>slightly

Pretty sure semi-autos of all kinds are just flat out inaccessible to the public in Australia. Don't offend us canucks by comparing the two
>>
>>35113324
Ignore him, he's clearly a fervent conservacuck
>>
>>35115954
The category D class of firearms is very hard to get in Australia but once you do, its pretty much whatever you want without magazine restrictions or much in the way of anything else really. They still have to be semi-auto, but you can bolt up whatever sights, silencers or whatever you want to them. One of the aussie professional shooters who comes on /k/ every now and then packs some serious hardware.
Pistols are in a difficult spot, restricted in terms of lots of things, but not inaccessible at all.
>>
>>35116012
How many people exactly hold Category D licenses in Australia? Probably less than a hundred? Read: inaccessible.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.