[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How bad are wax rounds for your rifle? Has anyone got tips o

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (6KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 260x194px
How bad are wax rounds for your rifle? Has anyone got tips on this kind of thing?

Thinking about either making some projectiles, or just pressing them into wax for 22LR. I plan on pouring out the gunpowder, removing the lead and only using the primer to move the wax round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKW6_udRJT0
>>
Monitoring this thread
>>
>>35112595
if you are planning on shooting indoors remember that primers tend to be made out of lead, and you can contaminate your house pretty easily shooting just primers
>>
Fast draw shooting uses wax bullets with primers only. They typically use smooth bore barrels made of aluminum, though.
Wax rounds through a normal rifled barrel will gum it up to hell.You can use rice if you don't want to bother with that.
https://youtu.be/_ypg2BruPhU
>>
>>35112705
you an get lead free primers
>>
>>35112834
sure, just letting folks know. is lead free .22 non lead primer too, or just copper/plastic bullet?
>>
>>35112912
typically, lead free means only in the bullet, to conform to hunting in certain locations. CCI rimfire lead free ammo for instance, still uses lead based primers

Ammo that uses lead free primer or primer compound will specifically be labelled as such
>>
>>35112834
>>35112705

even modern primers can contain mercury fulminate. that's more dangerous.
>>
>>35112980
That's bullshit.
Fulminate has not been used in primers in close to 100 years now.
>>
>>35113053
lead styphnate
>>
>>35112813

Would wax bullets destroy a rifled barrel, even if you cleaned it after each use?
>>
>>35112595
Sounds like a great way to play airsoft without being a faggot.
>>
>>35113517
Wax...destroy steel? How do you figure anon?
>>
>>35113564
I never figured that at all, I'm just wondering how such a good idea has any drawbacks except for cleaning... perhaps it could wax the barrel up so much it could cause a malfunction?
>>
>>35113517
No, just warm it up and swab it out. Definitely clean thoroughly before switching back to live ammo for the sake of accuracy.
>>
>>35112595
How the fuck did he pull the bullet out of the case so easy? I tried a needle nose to yank a .22lr out of a case like 15+ years ago and it was crimped so tight I couldn't get it apart.
>>
>>35113715
My next question would be on the safeness of removing the projectile with the risk of the priming stuff on the base being set off.
>>
>>35113517
I'd test to see if your gun cleaner can break down wax.
If it can then you're good to go.
If not, you need to figure out what does.
>>
>>35113897
I never got that bullet apart so I couldn't tell you for sure. From what I've seen about how 22lr is made the primer is packed in there pretty good, and the powder should all be loose. Good question though I don't know for certain.
>>
>>35113897
Very little risk, you need very fast and direct impact to the primer to set it off. With rimfire, you're more likely to shuffle the primer, unseating one edge of it. If that edge happens to be where the firing pin strikes, it'll seem like a dud round - just re-chamber it with different rotation.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.