[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't we put bombs and missiles on top of wings more

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 12

Why don't we put bombs and missiles on top of wings more often. Seems like you could easily double your size and payload with three easy steps.
>>
>>35112121
>missile doesn't activate
>crashes into into own aircraft instead of harmlessly falling to the ground
>>
they should put one on the top of tail just to be dicks!
>>
>>35112121
Because it's a motherfucker and a half to get to. Also, I imagine it'd make the airframe much, much heavier for limited gain
>bombs
Are you retarded?
>>
>>35112121
>What is "lift"?
>>
>>35112121
because the RAF patented it,the bastards.

Signed,
The USAF.
>>
>>35112160
Missile wont fall of the rail if it's on a rail.

>>35112167
>Are you retarded?
No, are you?

>Because it's a motherfucker and a half to get to.
So you're telling me the military can make an invisible plane that can fly faster than light into space but they cant throw together a pulley and scaffold system?
>>
>>35112172
Missiles and bombs on the wings wont affect the engines at all.
>>
>>35112164
bomb on the tail would probably be dumb, but a tail gunner would be sweet.
>>
File: US_spectating_slavchink_war.gif (1MB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
US_spectating_slavchink_war.gif
1MB, 320x200px
>>35112215
>WHAT IS "LIFT"?
MOTHER FUCKER
>>
File: lifting body at full lift.jpg (25KB, 700x564px) Image search: [Google]
lifting body at full lift.jpg
25KB, 700x564px
>>35112246
It's how the engines keep planes in the air. Do you even physics?
>>
File: rage.gif (982KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
rage.gif
982KB, 320x287px
i dont know why but this thread is triggering the fuck out of me right now.
>>
>>35112267
>It's how the engines keep planes in the air.
>engines
Seriously go and fucking learn about lift you daft mong. For fucks sake not sure wether bait or not.
>>
>>35112293
>he really doesnt know what thrust and lift is.

American education system ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>35112305
I sincerely hope that wasn't aimed at the quoted post, otherwise you've made yourself look a right ninnywinkle. Why does nobody in this thread know what lift is?
>>
>>35112326
Do you really thing planes just magically stay in the air without engines?
>>
>>35112326
Because it's/k/ so it's filled with a bunch of 42 ged losers. The guy doesn't understand that the top of the wing created the lift when it's moving forward, either by inertia or the thrust of the engine, cluttering it up with missles would reduce it's effective lift
>>
File: image.jpg (99KB, 780x585px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 780x585px
>>35112338
Yes
>>
>>35112338
A plane can fly without power, it cannot, however, fly without the phenomenon known as lift, something you clearly know very little about. Please save yourself any further embarrassment and learn how lift works, you absolute specimen.
>>
>>35112364
FINALLY. You know for a minute there I thought I was the retarded one.
>>
>>35112374
>glider
>gliders glide down
>like a piece of paper

>>35112375
A plane without power is gliding. See above.
>>
>>35112364
>wing created the lift

You don't understand how wings work either.
The top of the wing does not create lift. it's a combination of the top and bottom of the wing creating a pressure differential that displaces an air mass downward equal to the mass of the aircraft necessary to maintain level flight.
>>
>>35112408
You guys are seriously retarded.

Wings work because oncoming air hits the bottom of the wing with a positive angle of attack and is directed downwards. This downward direction of air equally and oppositely pushes the wing up and makes it fly.
>>
>>35112391
>A plane that transitions to unpowered flight is now an actual glider everyone
>like a piece of paper
But gee, seeing as you're living in bizarro world, how do your gliders stay in the air? Semen powder and prayer?
Holy fuck stay in school
>>
>>35112424
Unpowered flight is literally the definition of gliding.
>>
>>35112424
>how do your gliders stay in the air?
by gliding
like a piece of paper
please learn to read, I'm tired of having to repeat myself to educate you.
>>
File: knowledge.gif (5KB, 446x246px) Image search: [Google]
knowledge.gif
5KB, 446x246px
>>35112408
I'm not gonna write a book about it here, the more complex surface is the top.
>>
>>35112451
Still haven't learned about lift I see.

Spitting out the bait now, fuck you guys.
>>
>>35112467
>literally pulling an image from a nasa website that was using that same image to explain why this understanding of how wings work is wrong.

you're not very smart are you?

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/wrong1.html
>>
>>35112468
see:
>>35112486
>>
just play kerbal you guys, learn a thing or two
>>
>>35112121
It would be harder to load those pylons.
>>
File: laugh22.jpg (42KB, 800x804px) Image search: [Google]
laugh22.jpg
42KB, 800x804px
>Mfw everyone in this thread
>>
>>35112415
You aren't funny.
>>
>>35112546
How about you stop btiching about all the work you're not doing load toad.
>>
ITT what the fucking fuck is Boyle's Law and Bernoulli's Principle
>>
>>35113878
I have a sneaking suspicion that you don't even know what those theories are or how they apply to aerofoils.
>>
File: 1353449351690.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1353449351690.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
Sometimes when I think about how long I've been here, it occurs to me that there are other people who have been here as long as me, even longer. And then I think about the kind of people who make threads like these. Is it the same people, tirelessly pretending to be retarded for years and years, to some unknown end? Or is it just a constant flow of legitimately, unironically retarded people that come here, post their braindead threads, get bored and leave in a few weeks?

Because if it's the former, that's insanity. That's legitimate, bona-fide mental illness. And the worst part about it? I don't know which reality I prefer.
>>
>>35112205
>the military can make an invisible plane that can fly faster than light into space
Did I wake up in an alternate reality where the laws of physics don't apply this morning?
>>
>>35114761
>Because if it's the former, that's insanity. That's legitimate, bona-fide mental illness

>this is life.

Its like I cant considered what's worse a murder who kills people by feeding them rat poison or a guy who feeds rat poison because he thinks it only kills rats.
>>
>>35115898
keep in mind there are literally people flocking to beaches in florida right now .
Link

http://www.cnn.com/specials/live-video-3
>>
You know the wings pull the plane up because the air moves faster over them than under them, right?

The more things you put over the wing, the less force the wing pulls the plane up...
>>
>>35115964
Not exactly it disturbs the airflow and slows it creating drag which cause the plane to require more force to lift it..
>>
>>35114722
An airfoil is designed so that air flows faster over the top of it than under it. Because the mass flow is constant on both sides at any given point in time, and the trip over the top of the wing is longer, there's more volume for the air mass to occupy, lowering the density of air particles and thus the air pressure. This creates a pressure differential in which the pressure under the wing is higher than the pressure above it, resulting in a net upward force called lift. v^2/2+gz+p/ρ=c

>>35115964
>>35116043
the same exact thing happens when you strap bombs under the wing. It's called wing loading and nobody who designs fighter jets cares how much it changes airflow because structural considerations are much more important.
>>
>>35116133
>much it changes airflow because structural considerations are much more important
They do care as it reduces top speed and range. Generally there is a design compromise. Recently the US has been researching aerodynamic and stealthy hardpoints to maximize range and reduce radar cross section.
>>
File: Explain this atheists!.jpg (52KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Explain this atheists!.jpg
52KB, 1200x800px
>>35116133
If aerofoils create lift; how do planes fly upside down?
>>
>>35116592
angle of attack
take a closer look at the image
>>
>>35116592
simple the flaps redirect the flow of the air to generate upwards pressure.
>>
>>35116592
By having a higher than 1 thrust to weight ratio, probably also why those airshow planes are modded and not carrying a lot of fuel, neither are they carrying weapons.
>>
>>35112121
1. Awkward loading for ground crews
2. Restricted view for the pilot
3. They act as a wing fence, adding one without a need for one increases transonic drag.
4.weapon plumes risk flaring and obscuring pilots sight with smoke.
5. Drastically increased top aspect RCS
6. Requires "hot launches" motors fired from the rails, this creates a sudden turbulence over the wing stalling the lift over a large area.
7. Combat flight manoeuvres are almost all positive G turns, wing top pylons fired during high g manoeuvres risk wing damage.

The only ones I know of where the Jaguar as emergency extra pylons which where redacted or the Ferry tanks on the lightning.
>>
>>35116592
Look at the elevator deflection.
Inversion is a temporary trick
>>
>>35114761
They think the same thing about you though. It's the mad tea party. You must be mad or else you wouldn't be here.
>>
>>35116133
>Because the mass flow is constant on both sides at any given point in time,
REEEEEEE THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS
>>
File: 'brains exploding'.jpg (68KB, 450x605px) Image search: [Google]
'brains exploding'.jpg
68KB, 450x605px
>>35116626
Yeah, i know, i'm just picking holes in this Aerofoil shape provides all lift! nonsense/bait, loads of planes have symmetric Aerofoils; the F-16, for example, has a negative camber in cruise flight!
The point of positive wing camber is to improve lift/drag at ~0° aoa of the wing, it doesn't provide all of the lift all of the time.

>>35116627
Nope, the flaps don't change position in response to negative aoa.

>>35116638
Those F-18s are out of afterburner so they don't have 1+ twr, plus, plenty of light acrobatics planes fly upside down all the time.
>>
>>35116722
The stabilators are providing downforce in the picture lmao.

The only reason inversion is temporary is usually because the fuel flow to the engines in many planes cuts out after a certain time below +1G and because it's uncomfortable for the pilot.
>>
>>35116626
I do believe that is the point he was making.
>>
File: smut.jpg (95KB, 562x799px) Image search: [Google]
smut.jpg
95KB, 562x799px
I think this configuration was actually used in combat by the Saudis
>>
>>35112338
Look up Bernoulli's Principle, it explains how wings, and venturies work. It's the low pressure air on the top of the wing that keeps the plane in the air, the engines just push the plane forward, the airflow over the wings is what provides lift. This is middle school level physics we are talking about. You should be embarrassed.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.