[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the most effective way to win against an insurgency without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: kekekek.jpg (47KB, 800x820px) Image search: [Google]
kekekek.jpg
47KB, 800x820px
What is the most effective way to win against an insurgency without committing war crimes and/or avoiding the wholesale slaughter of civilians?
>>
>>35110599
Do what America does, fund them and have them do your bidding.
>>
File: isisrael.jpg (59KB, 706x664px) Image search: [Google]
isisrael.jpg
59KB, 706x664px
>>35110605
pic related?
>>
Put your troops lives on the line and avoid mechanized warfare
>>
>>35110599
Declare them not civilians
>>
>>35110599
FAL's, trucks, a couple helos, short shorts.
>>
>>35110599
commit war crimes and the wholesale slaughter of civilians and then cover it up
>>
>>35110599
Piss off the civilian population that they all take up arms, then exterminate their cities since they're no longer civilians.
>>
>>35110769
>>35111391
the only acceptable answers
>>
>>35110599
train, equip, and fund their enemies. let them fight it out. then, after they have decimated each other, kill the remaining fighters on both sides.

bonus points for cooking up a story about ethnic and/or religions conflict.
>>
>>35110599
In a foreign country: hands-off approach. SOF doing FID along with political and economic maneuvering with/against surrounding nations and other players in the game. Trying to "nation-build" is a fool's errand and trying to conduct an occupation just pisses the locals off and gives the enemy acceptable (i.e. foreign) targets to shoot at.

On home ground: rev up those helicopters.
>>
Reeducation?
>>
Name a successful counterinsurgency
>>
>>35112066
The Malayan Emergency
The defeat of the Tamil Tigers
Second Chechen War
>>
>>35112113
Now name one without a large number of war crimes
>>
>>35110599
While you likely could figure out a way to avoid butchering lots of civilians, it's rather unlikely you can wage counter-insurgency without committing some war crimes, either intentionally, or un-intentionally on either a large or small scale.

Best way, treat it like a crime problem and cultivate a network of informants like any big city or large prison. Use conventional troops to man roadblocks and checkpoints and observation/listening posts along the borders and institute a series of curfews, identification papers and other means to separate the population into groups easy to surveil and control.

Might come down to having someone in each apartment building, dorm, work site, block, etc responsible for monitoring the comings and goings of everyone there to make it as difficult as possible for people to move around unless they are doing what they say they are.
>>
>>35113195
Name a large scale war without war crimes.
>>
File: sadpeepee.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
sadpeepee.png
51KB, 657x527px
>>35113279
>>
>>35110599
infiltration under cover type stuff, lots of tracking sources for weapons and ammos and cutting connections
>>
>>35111391
>and then cover it up

or say the enemy did it and are liars
>>
File: 54030496162010461085150610653.jpg (61KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
54030496162010461085150610653.jpg
61KB, 900x675px
>>
dumb frogposter
>>
>>35112113
Don't move the goal posts old boy. It can be done, it has been done, and it will be done again. Hopefully to someone else, very far away.
>>
>>35110605
fpbp

and really that is the only answer. war must be total to be effective. the ROE of having one hand tied behind your back as promulgated by the USA in the early 21st century is a prescription for losing a war and making a mint for your buddies, not a strategy for actually winning.
>>
>>35113512
yeah that's what I said
>>
File: Cxd86Z-VEAAYhZb.jpg (59KB, 600x578px) Image search: [Google]
Cxd86Z-VEAAYhZb.jpg
59KB, 600x578px
Boost the local government so that it is respected by the population and isn't too corrupt. That's really the only surefire way to cut down an insurgency. Unfortunately, this is extremely difficult, and outright impossible in some cases, such as South Vietnam, so you're basically bleeding men and resources for a godawful government that will collapse as soon as you leave because they're more interested in stuffing their offshore bank accounts with your aid money, pissing off the locals, or both than anything else.
>>
>>35110605
Muhammad was a pedophile and a faggot
>>
>>35110599
Bring in another worse enemy as an invading force and then side with the insurgents.

Like how the Shia militias that were insurgents who killed Americans and Iraqi army allied with the Iraqi goverment as PMUs during the ISIS war and basically curtailed (or covered up better) their worst excesses and crimes. And didn't even shoot at Americans despite a reported friendly fire airstrike that hit PMU troops at some point.
>>
>>35110599
hire a contractor to do that shit for you
>>
>>35110599
You don't commit war crimes in front of people.

Let's be fucking honest here. The Nazis plucked gold teeth out of Jews mouthsz shaved their head for hair, then gassed them or threw them in a fucking oven to burn. That's a war criminal.

You want to call my guys who maybe clipped a fucking Hadji a war criminal, like a fucking Nazi. At best broke the UCMJ.

No. Hell no. We fought with honor and after they abused the war rights we gave them and they abused it of course we took retribution.

I only ever saw 1 true war crime. We caught a kid planting IEDs, probably the age of an average poster here, 17. My 2nd team leader said he'd do him, so ai said Ok. After a few minutes I didn't hear any shots. So I went back to check, he was stabbing hiim repeatedly.

I told him to shoot him, why the fuck are you stabbing him? He told me he killed 1 of ours, he wanted him to suffer. So I let it pass, but fuck if that doesn't haunt your dreams.
>>
>>35110599
Follow the SWORD model and use a population centric approach.
>>
>>35111692
Seals do FID too!
>>
>>35114336
What is the SWORD model?
>>35114332
dead jews happened, the mechanized slaughter of 11 million didn't
>>
>>35114332
fake and gay. also Hitler did nothing wrong dont fall for the holohoax
>>
>>35114342
SEALs are SOF.
>>
>>35115495
http://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/the-sword-model-of-counterinsurgency
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.