[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it really so hard to make a nuke? If not, why isn't every

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: nintchdbpict0002638694281.jpg (135KB, 960x767px) Image search: [Google]
nintchdbpict0002638694281.jpg
135KB, 960x767px
Is it really so hard to make a nuke? If not, why isn't every country doing it?
>>
>>35106864
it's relatively easy

but expensive, long and dangerous
>>
No, it's so simple a child could do it.
>>
Just look at the norks.
>>
Acquiring sufficient HEU is the main difficulty.
>>
>>35106916
How did the Norks manage that?
>>
>>35106916
This
>the physics is high school textbook level
The hard part is getting fissile material
>>
>>35106919
North Korea has quite a bit of mineral wealth.
>>
>>35106864
Most countries don't want to deal with the sanctions.
>>
>>35107445
Can't they just hide it
>>
>>35107456
Unlikely. Even the perceived threat of nuclear weapons puts the US on high alert.
>>
File: strangelove.jpg (70KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
strangelove.jpg
70KB, 1440x1080px
>>35107456
The whole point of the doomsday machine is lost if you keep it a secret.
>>
>>35107570
It's only a problem if slim pickens has the con
>>
>>35107456
>>35107498
Ha, right. (((no one))) could get away with hiding nukes and not alert the US!
>>
>>35106864
It's easy to make the bomb, it's insanely difficult to get the materials.
>>
>>35106884
Sounds like my marriage.
>>
>>35108528
yeah
basically

Sounds a lot easier than it is, but overall not that bad
>>
>>35108309
>implying we haven't always known about their nukes
>implying we didn't have a hand in their program
>>
>>35108309
>implying our scientists weren't actually working for ((them))
>implying they don't have a nuclear suicide bomb in case Ahmed comes
>>
>>35106864
no country owns nukes i think its all a big lie to prevent war.
>>
File: pubomb.gif (8KB, 333x262px) Image search: [Google]
pubomb.gif
8KB, 333x262px
>>35107430
>>35106940
As someone studying chemistry in college I can verify that getting fissle material is the hardest part. It is incredibly hard to 1) get enough raw material, 2) separate isotopes or create plutonium.

Getting a chain reaction to start is difficult, but seemingly the easiest part
(See pic)
>>
File: 1504309092003.jpg (131KB, 480x455px) Image search: [Google]
1504309092003.jpg
131KB, 480x455px
>>35109120
>Now 17, David hit on the idea of building a model breeder reactor, a nuclear reactor that not only generates electricity, but also produces new fuel. His model would use the actual radioactive elements and produce real reactions. His blueprint was a schematic in one of his father's textbooks.

>Ignoring safety, David mixed his radium and americium with beryllium and aluminum, all of which he wrapped in aluminum foil, forming a makeshift reactor core. He surrounded this radioactive ball with a blanket of small foil-wrapped cubes of thorium ash and uranium powder, tenuously held together with duct tape.

>"It was radioactive as heck," David says, "far greater than at the time of assembly." Then he began to realize that he could be putting himself and others in danger.

>When David's Geiger counter began picking up radiation five doors from his mom's house, he decided that he had "too much radioactive stuff in one place" and began to disassemble the reactor. He hid some of the material in his mother's house, left some in the shed, and packed most of the rest into the trunk of his Pontiac.

>At 2:40 a.m. on August 31, 1994, Clinton Township police responded to a call concerning a young man who had been apparently stealing tires from a car. When the police arrived, David told them he was meeting a friend. Unconvinced, officers decided to search his car.

>They opened the trunk and discovered a toolbox shut with a padlock and sealed with duct tape. The trunk also contained foil-wrapped cubes of mysterious gray powder, small disks and cylindrical metal objects, and mercury switches. The police were especially alarmed by the toolbox, which David said was radioactive and which they feared was an atomic bomb.

>The discovery eventually triggered the Federal Radiological Emergency Response Plan, and state officials would become involved in consultations with the EPA and NRC.

YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH
>>
>>35109317
I remember the "Radioactive Boy Scout". None of my friends believed me until I showed them the pics. Didn't he get the material necessary by stealing and conning smoke detectors off of houses and businesses?
>>
>>35108946
Hi Kim
>>
>>35109428
he told smoke detector companies he was a science teacher who needed them or something like that and bought broken detectors in bulk, then he got uranium paint off of clocks in thrift stores
>>
>>35106864
not really the russians did it with a us high school book

the chinese did calculations on the nuke with a abacus

i think it's the equipment that's hard to get
>>
>>35109257
bruh the gun is better by every metric. That should only ever be used in supers.

Also the liberal arts dropouts trivializing the actual physics behind bomb design is a little infuriating. If it's so fuckin easy then go make one retards. What makes it easy is that the designs and math are in the public domain. Without that it would have been impossible for a non superpower to make a nuke before 2100.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.