[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone know of any good sword manufacturers that don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 22

File: 21444.png (386KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
21444.png
386KB, 1600x1600px
Does anyone know of any good sword manufacturers that don't cost a shit ton to purchase from?
>>
>>35104290
>good sword manufacturers
>that don't cost a shit ton

Pick one and only one anon.
>>
I just got my Albion Crecy for the small price of $920.
>>
>>35104335
I'm looking for something within the $500 to $700 range. Preferably a medieval era longsword.
>>
You get what you pay for when it comes to swords.

>sub $200
It'll be good for fucking around and sturdy enough to not break easily. In terms of the other qualities that make a good sword, they'll be lacking.

>$300-600
Sweet spot between (relative) affordability and good quality. Some corners are cut when it comes to historical accuracy (mainly to save on cost), but they'll be pretty good swords in their own right. Many of the smiths in this range actually practice fencing and know what qualities

>$900+
Makers in this range create great swords that are historically accurate, but it comes at a cost.

Now this only applies to European weaponry. Weapons from other cultures vary in price. For example, Japanese weapons can be as expensive (if not more so) as European repros at the high end, but the cheap $100 katanas are a lot better than $100 longswords because katanas have a much bigger market.

>>35104632
"Medieval" isn't really very specific, since medieval could refer to multiple eras.

As for brands, look into
>Valiant Armoury
>Lutel
>Regenyei
>Danelli (I'm pretty sure they're a few years overbooked though)
>lower end Arms & Armor
>lower end Albion
>>
>>35104632
Albion squire line or valiant armoury in my opinion. Stay far far far away from darksword armory - those things are a deathtrap waiting to spring for the wielded.

Albion squire line - better blades, less variety, no scabbard
Valiant armoury - blades aren't as good, better variety, scabbard included.

Valiant armoury is a better package deal but Albion squires are better for the most important thing - the blade
>>
>>35104290
>Does anyone know of any good sword manufacturers that don't cost a shit ton to purchase from?

Stop advertising your fake shit here you sad fuck.
>>
>>35104632
https://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/swords-albion-mark-squire.htm
>>
>>35104290
Cold steel
>>
>>35105095
No
>>
Is there anyone that makes a good naginata that isn't horriblly expensive? Everything I see is either obvious wall hangers or costs a fortune. I've been wanting one or something similar with a shaft of at least 6 feet for a while.
>>
>>35104805
>Stay far far far away from darksword armory - those things are a deathtrap waiting to spring for the wielded.
Explain? I have a dsa and it's been nothing but great so far. What kind of failures should I keep my eyes out for?
>>
>>35105153
Should add, I don't want something super ornate, I'm looking for a bladed polearm I can use for hiking that won't break if I use it and can generally take a beating. Something that can slash and stab effectively.
>>
>>35105153
>>35105170
Here ya go.
http://kultofathena.com/s_results.asp?search=naginata&submit=Search
>>
>>35105181
Problem there is I have zero clue as to what is good and what is not. This would be my very first step into melee weaponry. Would also like some info on daggers now that I think about it.
>>
>>35105196
KoA makes things pretty easy. I would go under 'categories' click 'polearms and spears' or 'daggers' and sort by 'battle ready' and 'price'.
If something grabs your eye look for some customer reviews on the company that produces it. Hopefully you can find some reviews for the specific product as well. If you like what you've read/seen go ahead and place your order. Avoid anything made by Cold Steel and you should be good.
>>
>>35104290
You get what you pay for. A good swords in the cost you a couple hundred.
>>
>>35105153
http://www.kriscutlery.com/japanese-weapons/kris-cutlery-naginata-iii-1060-steel

Just needs a shaft.
>>
>>35105217
This, just check kult of athena. Pretty sure you can search by culture/type and price range.
>>
Which one of these would be beter for a carry dagger?

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=401908&name=Brass+Hilted+Rondel+Dagger
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=403599&name=Italian+Arming+Dagger

Both are unsharpened so I'm guessing it's stab or nuffin without some work.
>>
>>35105623
>not a ballock dagger

step up your game, son. Get a penis knife today.
>>
>>35105155
I had one, the pommel and handle came off mid swing and caused the blade to just go flying straight into the dirt (thankfully it happened at the end of it)

Go look at medieval review's einar where the tang broke from cutting water bottles

Hilt furniture is commonly found to be put on at weird angles so things aren't even straight. My whole handle for my longsword was crooked by a few degrees, enough to be noticeable once you realized it was there

If you think the sword is peened, it's not. They thread the whole tang (which is dangerously small) and give you a fake peen at the pommel so it looks like it is one, but it's purely an aesthetic thing
>>
File: henke.jpg (33KB, 467x350px) Image search: [Google]
henke.jpg
33KB, 467x350px
>>35105270
Is that just because you fags only buy LARP swords? In terms of effectiveness, i cant imagine a sharp piece of steel with a handle would cost too much.
>>
>>35106306
Sure a machete doesn't cost much, but if you think a sword is just a sharp piece of metal with a handle you're wrong
>>
>>35105095
>>35105116

I think it's funny that cold steel could literally put out the finest blade in the world, and people would refuse to buy it based on the brand name alone. I guess that's what happens when you make your name with mall ninja beater knives.
>>
File: SwordTree.jpg (113KB, 530x710px) Image search: [Google]
SwordTree.jpg
113KB, 530x710px
>>35106306

gr8 b8 my m8
>>
>>35106306
>>
>>35104290
Péter Regenyei and Pavel Moc make good stuff if you're in Europe. If in America it's still fairly cheap from them iirc.
>>
>>35107849
>As metal became more available they became larger.

>As metal became more refined they became thinner.

Whew lad, impressive fucking guide for the technical aspects of a sharp shiny stick.
>>
>>35107486
>I think it's funny that cold steel could literally put out the finest blade in the world

Yeah, and I could find myself fucking a pair of supermodels tonight.
>>
>>35108489

Bro, swords don't take that much metal at all, especially compared to a helmet & chain mail hauberk. Lack of metal wasn't the factor, if it was then due to the cost only nobles would have had two handed swords early on. Besides, swords were never primary battle weapons, it has always been polearms.

It happened this way:

Armor improvements >> no need for a shield >> ability to use a two handed sword
>>
>>35105011
>Stop advertising your fake shit here you sad fuck.
>>
>>35104290
Yes. Choose for yourself. Read everything at this site first:
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/
>>
>>35104290
Goat fuckers tend to make pretty cool blades by hand.
>>
>>35105623
That brass one is peened so it 'should' be sturdier in its construction.
But that Italian one is pretty sexy looking. Then again I've always liked traditional daggers as opposed to rondels and the like.
>>
>>35106164
Oof, that doesn't sound good. I've heard a lot of conflicting stories regarding DSA but none as potentially dangerous as yours. So I wrote them an e mail to hopefully get the specifics of my model's construction.
>>
File: IMAG3469.jpg (2MB, 1824x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG3469.jpg
2MB, 1824x3264px
Check Myarmoury or Armorarchive's trading forums for used swords if you're on a budget. I've gotten some nice deals there but you have to be patient as the best deals get snapped up almost immediately
>>
>>35114209
now you just look like a KKK member
>>
>>35114213
>tfw I love the Templar aesthetic but have yet to put together a suit because of the KKK appropriating it.
>>
File: image-79164.jpg (737KB, 1824x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image-79164.jpg
737KB, 1824x3264px
>>35114213
I'm not wearing it, it's on a mannequin guarding the front of my house.
>>
File: condottiere swagger.jpg (362KB, 1170x1600px) Image search: [Google]
condottiere swagger.jpg
362KB, 1170x1600px
>>35114371
those sabatons are absolutely appalling
>>
>>35114209
Crusaders didn't wear plate.
>>
>>35114209
Jesus Christ that looks like ebay tier of shit armour
>>
>>35114952
At least he has armor. Meanwhile I'd wager most of us on /k/ don't even have a proper sword.
>>
File: de bohun - tods stuff.jpg (96KB, 960x651px) Image search: [Google]
de bohun - tods stuff.jpg
96KB, 960x651px
>>35114969
I would hesitate to call it armour.

its certainly nothing out of real-world history that was worn by a single person.

(vaguely 15th C legs, clown-shoe sabatons, 16th C arms, early 14th C helm. God alone knows what the trainwreck hidden under the surcoat is.)
>>
File: IMAG3230.jpg (1MB, 1824x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG3230.jpg
1MB, 1824x3264px
>>35115177
I know, but historical accuracy costs money. It's a cheap replica I got on ebay for $400. It looked even worse when I first got it.
>>
File: nonono.jpg (106KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
nonono.jpg
106KB, 900x600px
>>35115177
>I would hesitate to call it armour.

"Death trap" does seem a more fitting description.
>>
>>35104290

Most of these guys don't know shit about shit. Basically you got wall hangers, theater grade, sparring blades l, then the real deal. Theater blades can be had for 100-250. They look good but lack detail work and are tough enough for smacking around during a live performance. If you plan to really beat it to fuck, go for sparring/practice swirds. Tough as hell and cheap, but made to have zero edge and normally zero detail work. But.... if you want a real deal, battle ready sword, be prepared to open a savings account.
>>
>>35108489
Kunst des fechtens & Armizare are beyond this one
>>
File: IMAG3533.jpg (1MB, 1824x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG3533.jpg
1MB, 1824x3264px
>>35115591
The other replica armor I got this week is a lot better quality now than the first one. The gothic armor is almost twice as heavy and thick.
>>
File: cross_section01v.jpg (77KB, 731x520px) Image search: [Google]
cross_section01v.jpg
77KB, 731x520px
>>35108489
>As metal became more refined they became thinner.

You're forgetting that there's a third dimension to it. When you see a wide blade, that will usually also be a very, very thin one, whereas a blade with a slimmer profile will often be thicker, with the absolute extreme being those with a cross section of a square, isosceles triangle, or some such.

A side effect of this is that swords with quite needle-like profiles can easily be relatively heavy as well, while the Conyers falchion on the other hand is by no means a heavy weapon. The differences in average thickness can be quite extreme.
>>
>>35115648
What kind of armor is that, anon, and where can I buy one?
>>
File: IMAG3536.jpg (2MB, 1824x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG3536.jpg
2MB, 1824x3264px
>>35115758
Gothic Armor made by a company called "Windlass". Sadly doesn't seem to be manufactured anymore, I got lucky and found the breastplate, arms and pauldrons for only $530 on Ebay. The sallet and bevor I had to buy separately which is why it doesn't match and I'm reusing the gauntlets and leg armor from the first cheap set of armor I bought. For a cheap replica it's very well made.
>>
Is this a rolepay thread?

There are other boards for it

hema is supposed to be a 'sport' take it to /sp please. There are boards for roleplay dress up to.

Its shit that you need to destroy it with this replica and reproduction crap. None of these things are made for use as weapons.
>>
>>35115658
one nearly decent post in a shit thread but without any of the correct terminology and lacking in knowledge.
>>
File: doitconan.jpg (136KB, 640x357px) Image search: [Google]
doitconan.jpg
136KB, 640x357px
>>35115837

Goddamn Anon, that's sexy as fuuuck...no homo. Do some mobility tests for us and post it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa2irrYK09w
>>
>>35115648
>>35115837
Better it is.

The Bantam Death March was also better than the stuff Unit 731 got up to.
>>
File: IMG_4958.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4958.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>35104290
I can speak for Valiant Armory, I got a Rhinelander(pic related) from them last year and am very happy with it. It's furniture and sheath is where it really shines through, Sony's leather work is spectacular. the blade is pretty average if not a weak point for the price range. The assembly is okay, has a notable gap between the guard and blade. Sharpness could be a lot better, but it is a general problem with most European sword makers now a days.

The is my first sword from VA and I would get another.

Also consider the Albion Squar line,, I've heard a lot of good of them. Longer wait, and less fancy hilt design, but they handle and perform like an Albion should.

If you want something on the cheaper side (Sub $300), the Hanwie Tinker Pierce Long Sword handles really well. And if you want to take a gamble the Cold Steel Italian Longsword is one of the only swords Cold Steel makes that handles well, but a 50/50 chance it will come with issues.
>>
File: 1501902284177.png (272KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1501902284177.png
272KB, 640x360px
Just make your own. How hard could it be?
>>
File: 1425-3.jpg (377KB, 883x1139px) Image search: [Google]
1425-3.jpg
377KB, 883x1139px
>>35115648
Are you the anon who posted about your ebay armour a couple of weeks ago?
>>
>>35116318
>the blade is pretty average if not a weak point for the price range.
what company would be a good blade for that price range?
>>
>>35116318
what a piece of shit
>>
>>35116134
>>35116134
>The Bantam Death March was also better than the stuff Unit 731 got up to

very under rated post
>>
>>35112782
>Yes. Choose for yourself. Read everything at this site first:http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/

^^^^^^^^^Fake and gay central^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>>35106336
>just a sharp piece of metal with a handle
But it is.
>>
>>35117068
>>35117078
>>35117095
>>35117118
Do you seriously have nothing better to do?
>>
>>35117118
>just a sharp piece of metal with a handle
>But it is.

and a rifle is just a piece of pipe attached to a stick.

and a jet aircraft's just some aluminum sheets riveted together.

and a battleship is just some plates of steel welded together.

and your body is just a few cells that zap electricity around.
>>
>>35117163
The key thing about a medieval sword, or a renaissance sword is it is actually from the mediaeval period or renaissance era. Otherwise its just a lump of junk kinder words are reproduction or decorative item. The gayness is rising in this thread.
>>
>>35117355
You're literally arguing English Vernacular versus functionality? For real? We all know calling it a "Medieval sword" Isn't a textbook proper descriptive term for the object, However we know the general idea we are trying to convey. Claiming our use of Colloquialisms is somehow tantamount to the items in question being of less then accurate historically or functionally correct in its creation is quite literally the most FUCKING AUTISTIC ASININE RETARDED thing I have ever read. Kindly see your way out of this thread/board/North Korean Crater appreciation site.
>>
>>35117355

So if a new sword is produced today, using techniques and materials *at least* as good or even better than used in the medieval or renaissance, it would still be a piece of junk why?

The sword hasn't been around absorbing historic "mumbo jumbo" vibes for 500 years? Is that why? Please help us, enlighten us, I'm genuinely curious how this all computes in your brain.
>>
>>35115658
>namefag making a sincerely good point and demonstrating valuable knowledge on the topic at hand

This makes me feel uncomfortable
>>
>>35115881
This board isn't just for guns, you fucking cunt
>>
>>35117526
Its not medieval or renaissance is it?

Take this shit to /toy where it belongs
>>
>>35117670
Iive action rolepaying hema etc -> /sp or somewhere it would be comfy

Airsoft is generally not welcome here either and if anything this is sadder
>>
>>35117502
>"Medieval sword" Isn't a textbook proper descriptive term for the object

certainly is not. do you dress up as Gandalf or something with your toy?
>>
>>35117851
>>35117863
>>35117877
It's really sad how pathetic you are.
>>
>>35117897
literally toys for children and the intellectually disabled
>>
are there any swords for less than 500 dollars one of those light weight cold steel 10 dollar machete swords wouldn't literally smash to pieces? Inb4 someone spouts the nuances of blade design swords were 2nd rate weapons anyway and I don't want to get the dick paying for a sword made by a team of numales that would break if I actually swung it as hard as I could.
>>
>>35117916
you really need therapy
>>
>>35117851

When someone calls an Albion Squire arming sword a "medieval" sword, they of course mean it in the sense of saying "medieval style." They are not trying to say "made during the medieval period."

There's no attempt at deception in describing newly made swords this way. It's simply the most efficient and sensible way of communicating with someone, assuming they don't suffer from crippling autism.

Surely you must understand this?
>>
>>35117969
What you don't understand is that the way those Cold Steel blades are designed, they force you to throw the fencing equivalent of a haymaker.

And haymakers have no place in martial arts. The whole *point* of martial arts is that you evolve past just lobbing sloppy haymakers at eachother like a couple of fat drunks.
>>
>>35117969
>machetes
>smashing swords
Machetes are even lighter than swords
>>
>>35118389
>a "medieval" sword

Its as medieval as a plastic bin bag
>>
File: untitled.png (89KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
89KB, 194x259px
>>35117991
>you really need therapy

Aye he does maybe but you go on ahead in the queue and show the man in the white coat your dress up and toys. Good luck now!
>>
>>35117969
>one of those light weight cold steel 10 dollar machete swords wouldn't literally smash to pieces?
The first obstacle to that is that regardless of the capability of the machete the human wielding it probably won't have the strength to smash a sword just like that. Making it even harder, the sword won't be solidly clamped down, it'll be held in the hand(s) of another human, allowing it to roll with the punches.

Second, if the machete does have the mass to be significantly sturdier than the sword, then I doubt it'll be anything we'd consider light weight, at least not as we look at that phrase in the context of swords.

>I don't want to get the dick paying for a sword made by a team of numales that would break if I actually swung it as hard as I could.

If you want to beat down walls then a sword probably isn't what you want, a fire axe would serve you better there. If we look at a sword fight mortal wounds can be inflicted without all that much effort. The hard parts aren't hitting hard enough, they are instead going to be hitting at all, and not getting hit. So a sword will need to be strong enough that it won't be likely to break in a fight, but it must also be quick and nimble so you can hit a moving target and intercept incoming attacks. Making it as sturdy as a wood splitting maul may seem like a good idea at first, but the end result would be too sluggish to be of much use against any half-competent opponent. (Better than your bare fists perhaps, but that's not saying much.) All that "sword" would find to contest with is air, while it'd be your flesh that had it's resilience found wanting.

If you want a sword, buy a sword. While there's plenty of crap around, there are decent ones to be found that will most likely be just as resilient as any historical sword of its type was. But if you want something you simply cannot break by swinging it then you may be better off getting a four foot length of old railroad track instead.
>>
>>35119170
>But if you want something you simply cannot break by swinging it then you may be better off getting a four foot length of old railroad track instead.
I'd love to meet a human being that can swing a four foot length of railroad track
>>
>>35105095
Cold Steel™ propaganda incoming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfLZozBVpM
>>
>>35119198
>go on ahead in the queue and show the man in the white coat your dress up and toys

Um....
>>
What is the best Bilbo baggins sword that can be used in hema please and can I bring my cloak?
>>
File: bilbo.jpg (149KB, 900x674px) Image search: [Google]
bilbo.jpg
149KB, 900x674px
>>35119339
well, there arent many reproductions out there, but Lutel will do a blunted version of their Bilbo, (see pic) which is fairly appropriate for studying La Verdadera Destreza in HEMA.

I'd suggest starting with Narvaez. Carranza's De la Filosofía de las Armas y de su Destreza y la Aggression y Defensa Cristiana is excellent but takes a bit of a learning curve to get into compared to the later stuff.
>>
>>35119420
that said, I'm struggling to find any good bags for your Bilbo to go in.
>>
>>35116530
Albion Squire Line
>>
>>35119795
meh, 500+ bucks for a blunt sword with no scabbard

say what you will about chinese katanas but for the same price you get a pretty good one with the whole package
>>
>>35119840
and that's the difference between it being made in the US from 5160 steel with a proper heat-treat and quality control, and it being made from probably a high carbon steel with a heat-treatment into any old oil, by an semi-skilled worker earning 5 yuan a day
>>
>>35120191
pretty much the reason I haven't pull the trigger on the VA war sword, being the chinese made blade.

I don't mind coughing up 900 bucks for an albion if only it came with a scabbard, or if a custom made scabbard didn't cost 500 bucks (the cost of a VA almost)

that or I can get another gun
>>
>>35119420
>well, there arent many reproductions out there, but Lutel will do a blunted version of their Bilbo, (see pic) which is fairly appropriate for studying La Verdadera Destreza in HEMA. I'd suggest starting with Narvaez. Carranza's De la Filosofía de las Armas y de su Destreza y la Aggression y Defensa Cristiana is excellent but takes a bit of a learning curve to get into compared to the later stuff.

I really love LOTR and want to do HEMA with a sting blade and my cloak! Do many people do HEMA in character?
>>
>>35120648
>or if a custom made scabbard didn't cost 500 bucks

It is worth it if it is a limited edition one with the Jackson signature
>>
>>35121028
everything's worth whatever people are willing to pay I guess
>>
>>35121455
>everything's worth whatever people are willing to pay I guess

Peter Jackson is a genius. If he dies (and he is quite overweight) the price of premium fantasy swords will skyrocket AND they are a great status symbol
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.