[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /k/ thinks about airguns? It is a viable option for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: predator1-web.jpg (11KB, 360x195px) Image search: [Google]
predator1-web.jpg
11KB, 360x195px
What does /k/ thinks about airguns? It is a viable option for a gun controlled region? It is strong enough to kill someone?
>>
im american but want a fun plinker and something to maintain marksmanship!
just want extreme low investment fun
should i a crossman vigilante? 1322? something else in that low low range?
>>
It is a viable option for a gun controlled region?
No. Any place that's vulnerable to the scourge that is gun control will end up controlling airguns too. For the children.

t. Australia
>>
>>35101690
Nah, at that point you might as well make a muzzle loading pipe gun using homemade BP or crushed up match heads, then use that to acquire a real gun.
>>
>>35101690
i'd love to get into airguns. specifically the pressure tank ones. but it's just not cost efficient; particularly for me. my 22 cost me ~$200 and with ammo was ~$.06 for around the same time. the airgun i want that would replace it would cost me ~$2000. might be different for others, but not i'm plinking and hunting small game enough to warrant that kind of price range. plus i'm too lazy to hand crank a springer after every shot.
>>
>>35101690
Viable for killing rodents cheaply and having back garden fun. That's about it.
>>
>>35101855
This right here, man. I bought a Benjamin Bulldog a few years ago, and I love it to death, but I could've bought twice the gun in a conventional firearm for half the cost. I don't regret it, but a wouldn't suggest it if you're looking to save money.
>>
>>35101855
not all air guns are just for small game
>>
File: no-country-for-old-men.jpg (26KB, 250x443px) Image search: [Google]
no-country-for-old-men.jpg
26KB, 250x443px
>>35101690
>>
I have a 1200 fps .177 break barrel airgun that I guarantee would kill someone with a shot to the neck. I can hit an M&M from 50 feet with iron sights.
>>
>>35101984
>~$3000 357 airgun vs ~$600 308 rifle
the price still doesn't match the use. even if you factor in ammunition, the powder still is less costly. even still you have to charge that airgun tank; that would be another $30 for a pump.
>>
Cheap to plink with and useful for bagging small game. I have a Crossman Optimus and love it. Would not recommend using one to replace the role of a firearm, especially not for use against people.
>>
>>35101690
You can absolutely get them powerful enough to hunt large game, or even kill a person. Though obviously a real gun is almost always going to be superior.

But...
>>35101731
Fucking this. Anywhere that anti-gun will also ban airguns.

In my state they even banned NUNCHUKS for fucks sake. You can go buy a baseball or cricket bat at a shop down the road and be infinitely more dangerous with it, but we can't let the people have nunchuks.

I swear they base their ban decisions on movies. There's no other reason for half of these shitty laws.

>>35101945
That the one that looks like a cyberpunk laser rifle? How rugged is it? And how many shots do you get before recharge?
>>
>>35101855
PCPs are growing in popularity and coming down in price. Benjamin cracked the $200 barrier with the Maximus.
>>
>>35102033
What exactly was that thing?
>>
>>35103027
they said it in the movie. it's a pressurized humane killing device used in slaughter houses. i'm pretty sure tommy lee jones' character identifies it in one of the diner scenes.
>>
>>35103261
>>35103027
>>35102033
Its a Captive Bolt Gun for stunning cattle prior to slaughter. No projectile in traditional sense, just a bolt that juts out and then returns when you pull the trigger.

Its not non-lethal mind, despite being used for stunning and always being followed by a proper means of slaughter. They'll always cause brain damage, and most of the ones used actually penetrate the skull. But it is a safe and humane way to slaughter livestock.
>>
>>35102036
Will it penetrate deep enough? I know 22lr works well at around 2000fps and even 850fps from pistol barrels.
>>
>>35102420
They make the movies and news stories just so they can take away our freedoms too.
>>
>>35101690
I have a couple of pretty powerful air rifles. Nothing like those insane ones they use to hunt boars lol. Couple of NP guns, a Gamo Whispercat. I have killed raccoons with them. Small groundhog one time. For small game, they are fantastic. Quiet enough that if you miss the first time, you can probably get a 2nd shot.

I may be biased though. I am in my late 30's, and spent my entire childhood innawoods with my Red Ryder lol.
>>
Looking for an airgun for groundhogs. Relatively big ones. Can't use a real gun because of municipal ordinances and legal issues (technically school grounds, but I've been given the go ahead from the board to use either a bow or an airgun to keep our fields clear of those little fucks.).

Thinking something in .22 or .25, and preferably quiet. Would an air-piston or PCP be better, with price being at least a minor factor?
>>
>>35101715
it doesnt have to be a pistol just has to be really cheap! I love you guys!
>>
File: 1504673971023.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1504673971023.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>35102420
You want to have a top kek anon? You can "smuggle" nunchucks into a country through the fucking airport if you unlace them, giving you two wooden sticks and a rope.

>t. leaf who does Karate and bought wooden nunchucks in Okinawa
>>
I used to shoot things like Beeman R-1's, R-10's etc back in the 1980's, and these airguns like the Ruger Airhawk and the Gamo are surprisingly nice guns for the money. Twangy, for sure, but accurate and powerful enough to hunt small game, and cheaper than .22 rimfire.
>>
>>35103487
Could be outstanding for small game in SHTF since nothing else can match the ammo quantity you could carry.
>>
>>35101690
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdvsv6cRacU
>>
>>35103566
I own a 1377 and love it, I have two actually, one is still a pistol and the other one is modified with a shoulder stock and a 24" barrel. I love both guns, they're great for the price.
>>
I shoot a scoped Crosman 1322 with shoulder stock quite frequently in my backyard. As I am in the suburbs, 22lr is a no go. I have tried the Aguila super colibris in my ATI StG 44 and although they are roughly the same sound level as a high powered pellet gun, they don't cycle the action reliably and have disappointing penetration.

The Crosman has a short barrel but after 8 pumps, the 22 pellet can easily smack targets under 30 yards. Pellets are dirt cheap and can reliably kill birds, rabbits, snakes, and other small creatures. While pellets can't inure your body to the recoil impulse of a firearm, the principles of breathing and sight alignment are still the same.
>>
>>35101690
This question is way too vague. Some pellet guns wouldn't do much to a person, many of them are vasically single shot .22s, and some of the high end ones are ridiculously powerful. Most are just a step below .22lr.
>>
File: bpbd3ka_03.jpg (191KB, 2000x698px) Image search: [Google]
bpbd3ka_03.jpg
191KB, 2000x698px
357 big bore air rifle with a built in suppressor
>>
or how about a 50 cal
>>
>>35102420
Politicians also bank heavily on unfortunate events. They're like vultures that feed off people's emotions to feed their habits. Frankly if SHTF the first to hang from lamp posts will be them.
>>
>>35102420
It gets ten rounds (two mags) between charges, depending on your bullet weight and power setting. For hog or deer hunting I'd recharge every five to eight rounds, though. The main draw, for me, is how quiet the thing is. With buying a suppressor being such a pain in the ass it's nice to be able to buy a nearly silent weapon capable of putting down a man sized animal through the mail. It would be nice to be able to just switch out tanks instead of refilling a reservoir, though.
>>
File: IMG_4301.jpg (422KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4301.jpg
422KB, 1920x1080px
I've got a little old beat to shit slavia pistol.

I've been messing about with filling pellets skirts with crushed match heads and plugging it with a snap gun cap. It's really increased the velocities I'm getting and gives me a badass flame/spark. Though I imagine it's not good for it.
>>
>>35103537
Piston guns have the same kind of accuracy issues as open bolt powder burners. IMO only low power ones are any good at all.
>>
>>35104765
>Most are just a step below .22lr.
A big step. A high end 22 pellet gun has about 1/3 the muzzle energy of a 22LR.
>>
There alright for plinking but I've never found a use outside of that, you can store a fuck tonne of ammo though which is really useful.
>>
>>35101945
Love my Beeman Sulver Bear, 900 fps fuck around can killer. I have those plastic tipped pellets in the op pic, good pest controllers.
>>
>>35101690
If you shot them point blank in the eye maybe, but no, not effective for killing anything but small animals.

If you want something fun and accurate as hell up to around 35 yards then get one. You can put pellet on top of pellet at that range with a PCP (or a springer if you're any good).

It'll effectively kill small animals at that sort of range as well, think rats, pigeons, rabbits, squirrels, etc, although head shots are key, really.

Oh, and I'm referring to sub 12ft/lb power (UK legal limit without FAC). FAC rifles add more power and slightly more effective killing range, say 50 yards or so, depending on what power they're running at.
>>
>>35104761
>pellet can easily smack targets under 30 yards
and how is that an achievement?
>>
>>35105807
I'm obviously ignoring prohibitively expensive and impractical air rifles that shoot .357 slugs and the like, as a 'proper' rifle will be a better tool 100% of the time.
>>
>>35105813
For shooting quietly in your back yard without pissing the neighbours off?

There are plenty of reasons for it, hence why airguns exist, obvs.
>>
>>35101690
Not killing, but the robber is not going to stop and id what you are holding, if they see you witha rifle-like thing they will run for their worthless live. Just don't actually shoot, or if you do aim for the face to cause as much pain as possible
>>
File: 20170514_105321.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170514_105321.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>35105825
no, I meant how is hitting a target under 30 yards with an airgun an achievement?

this is a 40mm KZ at 40m, easy shot.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.