[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk IFAKs /k/ What's in yours? Why don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 27

Let's talk IFAKs /k/

What's in yours?
Why don't you carry one?
What brand of pouch do you use?

My IFAK layout is below -

Interior:
>2x 2" x2" gauze pads
>2x 4" x 4" gauze pads
>3x 5" x 9" abdominal pads
>1x pair of nitrile gloves (any color other than black)
>1x roll of kerlex gauze bandage
>3x petroleum dressings
>2x Triange Bandages
>1x Roll of Coban
>1x 32 Fr. NPA
>1x Roll of 2 inch Paper Tape
>4x Alcohol Prep Pads
>1x Venous Tourniquet
>2x Normal Saine Flush
>2x Luer Lock
>2x 18g ProtectIV IV Catheter

Exterior:
>1x Black Sharpie
>1x Trauma Shears
> CAT Tourniquet
>>
>>35094611
Forgot to add that I have a few basic meds in as well
>Benadryl
>Ibuprofen
>Acetaminophen
>ODT Ondansetron
>>
Some US army IFAK. Has a bunch of shit like a decompression needle and other things I don't know how to use but I keep it in there in the event that it's needed and someone knows how to use it all well.
>>
>>35094687
What other stuff is in there you dont know how to use?
>>
>>35094698
quickclot and something else.
I understand what to do but without practicing first I'd be hesitant to use them
>>
Planning on taking a class with Lonestar Medics next month and have a SOFTT-W coming in tomorrow that I'm going to carry in a PHLster flatpack. Want to get some ceelox, sterile gloves and some other stuff for my EDC as well.

Everyone tbqh should have medical and an IFAK at the ready for whenever they're at the range. Using a torniquet is easy as fuck
>>
>>35094719
I think people should have an IFAK available 24/7. You never know when you'll need it. I always seem to pull up on accidents. Exactly why I want to keep one in my vehicle.
>>
>>35094719
>sterile gloves
Probably unnecessary to carry in your kit unless you plan on doing finger thoracostomy or reach in a torso and pinch off a bleed.
>>
>>35094773
Gloves are the sign of professionalism.
>>
>>35094784
No, sterile gloves is a sign the person doesnt know much, sterile gloves are only used for invasive procedures. Non-sterile gloves work for 99% of prehospital procedures to be done in the field.
>>
>>35094719
>Using a torniquet is easy as fuck
it's also literally no longer a part of first aid outside the third world

pressure and bandaging is sufficient to manage blood loss even on a severed limb

applying a tourniquet will be as good as a bandage at best and do more damage at worst

>my EDC
literal mallninja
>>
>>35094611
no heroin.fail
>>
>>35094825
>pressure and bandaging is sufficient to manage blood loss even on a severed limb

correctomundo this anon does not get needless amputation and wins heroin
>>
>>35094825
Actually no, while you are right about pressure and bandaging to be good enough, tourniquets are still being used and actually being used more in prehospital settings to control bleeding after direct pressure and elevation have failed.
>>
>>35094825
>it's also literally no longer a part of first aid outside the third world

Then why do I have to keep one in my ambulance?
>>
>>35094611
What kind of fag keeps IV supplies in their IFAK
>>
>>35094859
I have my first aid cert from St Johns ambulance and the book they give you with it never mentions tourniquets. it comes up at every refresher, and the instructor always says the same thing: "don't use tourniquets."

>to control bleeding after direct pressure and elevation have failed.
if that much blood is gushing out of you, either you have Dead Space tier high blood pressure, or you werent properly bandaged

normal human blood pressure simply isnt high enough to defeat proper bandaging, and even an arterial bleed shouldnt be spraying blood like its fukken kill bill. and anyone who is just doing first aid is probably not going to have the training to go clamping individual veins and arteries, despite what SS13 players will tell you

a dressing should be secured tightly but not to the point where it cuts off blood flow entirely, you want some clotting and for stuff beyond the cut to still be fed

>>35094861
>ambulance
>first aid
wanna know how I know you're some dumbshit first year pre-med student or something?

>>35094884
one who is probably going to kill a lot of people by accident trying to do shit he saw on "grey's anatomy" on tv or in "trauma team" for the wii
>>
>>35094745
>I think people should have an IFAK available 24/7. You never know when you'll need it. I always seem to pull up on accidents. Exactly why I want to keep one in my vehicle.

Agreed. I've personally witnessed 5 car accidents right infront of me within 2 years. The fact of the matter is you will have to use medical more often than shooting someone yet nobody wants to ever get medical training.
>>
>>35094999
>one who is probably going to kill a lot of people by accident trying to do shit he saw on "grey's anatomy" on tv or in "trauma team" for the wii
>Killing people on accident with a simple IV
>Implying I'm not trained and certified to do IVs

And guess what faggot, you are wrong about tourniquets, I work on an ambulance too and we have CATS stocked in every rig. I have my book right here with me which is up to NREMT national standards that teaches TQ use.
>>
File: 1487962775348.jpg (117KB, 974x635px) Image search: [Google]
1487962775348.jpg
117KB, 974x635px
>>35094999
>"d00d just put a bandage on that wound lmao"

And completely ignore the makeshift TQ on his fucking leg. My God, I play SS13 from time to time and I can tell you're a retard just by your analogies and wording alone.

A bandage isn't going to fucking fix an internal bleed. Torniquets have been saving a shitload of troops overseas, that's called a fucking clue. You and your instructor are both dumb fucks, good job.
>>
I just keep a case of bic pens in my car for doing tracheotomies. Some of the time, it does the trick every time.
>>
File: IMG_1676.jpg (393KB, 1125x2001px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1676.jpg
393KB, 1125x2001px
>>35094999
Right out of my local EMS protocols
>>
>>35095062
>A bandage isn't going to fucking fix an internal bleed.
neither is a tourniquet

and that guy's leg is a level of fucked beyond any normal first aid where you still give a shit about the state of the limb but I'd still say you should probably bundle it up

also most first aid that actually happens is shit like sports injuries or traffic accidents, not people stepping on diy land mines

>>35095045
>>35095086
ambulance work is ongoing care, not first aid

first aid specifically refers to initial actions; if you have the training you can skip right to more advanced stuff but that's not first aid anymore, that's just actual medical attention and is beyond the scope of first aid

and it even says
>use blood pressure cuff only if commercial device not available and continuous pressure monitoring can be assured
i.e. don't use a tourniquet if you're just some faggot in the park busting out a cargo strap because some kid broke their foot playing soccer

nice googling though man
>>
>>35095062
Fuck what a photo. I remember seeing that when it went down and thinking is he pinching off that guys artery. Wild.
>>
>>35095107
>i.e. don't use a tourniquet if you're just some faggot in the park busting out a cargo strap because some kid broke their foot playing soccer
Yeah not for first aid, in the basic sense of bystander first aid, but EMS is very very much first aid in 90% of cases. And not google faggot, that's straight from MY protocols that I work under. TQs can be very much a part of first aid as well in situations where direct pressure is not working. Post your cert or leave
>>
File: 1498284660257.jpg (13KB, 463x480px) Image search: [Google]
1498284660257.jpg
13KB, 463x480px
>>35095109
>there's people who think the Boston Bombing was staged/fake and the injured people are all actors

It makes me mad that some people are this out of touch with reality.
>>
>>35095128
It's bizarre but some people are pretty fucked in the head.
>>
>>35095121
>but EMS is very very much first aid in 90% of cases.
are you an intern or something? the first aid instructor at my unit is a paramedic and they say literally the opposite, once they're there, first aid is done and care begins because they have the proper equipment and training

>And not google faggot, that's straight from MY protocols that I work under.
great job not even reading them because it still says
>use blood pressure cuff only if commercial device not available and continuous pressure monitoring can be assured
which is basically impossible for average first-aiders (i.e. normal people who just have a cert and maybe a little sports injury kit or something)

tourniquets are a meme on par with plugging bullet holes with tampons and strapping baby diapers to open cuts (protip don't do these things, those products are meant to wick away liquid, you're just stealing their blood, use normal gauze ffs)

>Post your cert or leave
it's at work and has my name on it
do you think they're hard to get anyway? it's a two day course and like an extra fifteen bucks to keep the book if you aren't getting it for free through your workplace
>>
File: fucking great idea.jpg (80KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
fucking great idea.jpg
80KB, 500x500px
>>35094773
>>35094800
>the person doesn't know much
Enjoy your blood-borne STDs without going through the fun of getting them the conventional way if you have a wound you didn't know about. Wouldn't that be funny, you try to save somebody's life and they're HIV positive and they give it to you, then, months later, you both find all that out the same day at the same hospital!

Gloves take up a tiny fucking space and there is a laundry list of reasons why it's bad not to have them.

>>35094784
You're not a professional, you're a guy with a first-aid kit. You should still have gloves.
>>
>>35095150
>which is basically impossible for average first-aiders (i.e. normal people who just have a cert and maybe a little sports injury kit or something)
That is a standing order to EMS providers to not do it with a blood pressure cuff without pressure monitoring, not applying a commercial TQ. Not applicable to first aid by civilians either as that is my directives, not directed at civilian first aid. Are you just mentally delayed or something? I'm not talking your basic first aid cert. I'm talking post proof that you are a certified licensed medical provider or fuck off. I have actual real world experience working with trauma patients and I am telling you that you're wrong.
>>
File: sartech.png (45KB, 927x551px) Image search: [Google]
sartech.png
45KB, 927x551px
Listen to this guy in pic related.

Unless you're trained, don't fuck with people's bodies.

>>35095161
>You're not a professional, you're a guy with a first-aid kit. You should still have gloves.
This is important to remember.

>inb4 some retard comes in and says he carries a scalpel and rolls of surgical tubing and ziploc bags of homemade "saline"
>>
>>35095150
>YOU DON'T NEED TORNOQUITS JUST PRESSURE
>told by a professional that there is a triage of care and they still have use
>S-SHUT UP YOU'RE JUST A GOOGLING FAG, I AM THE REAL PRO
>post proof
>I-I'm at work and can't despite writing posts on 4chan

Okay, friend. Keep moving those goalposts.
>>
>>35095177
>Not applicable to first aid by civilians either
So why the fuck are you in this thread, which is about EDC first aid gear, not fuckers who do week-end ride-alongs with the local clinic?
>>
>>35095161
>sterile gloves protect the provider from pathogens
Sterile gloves are for the protection of the patient from contamination during invasive procedures. Non sterile gloves will literally work for all other patient interactions.
>>
>>35095187
Unless you're splitting hairs about what is technically sterile you should have gloves so you don't get assorted fluids on contact with your skin
>>
>>35095186
Because I started this thread and not all of us are neckbeards who fap to youtube videos, some of us actually carry trauma kits and are trained to use them. And I only posted my protocols because some faggot said that TQs are not used when the opposite is true for both EMS and first aid.
>>
>>35095191
I am splitting hairs because sterile gloves cost more and require you to put them on in a sterile matter. Non sterile gloves protect you from pathogens and come in larger packages and are cheaper.
>>
>>35095186
>Weekend ride alongs a the clinic
>Full time EMS provider, literally airlifted a trauma patient 2 days ago
Whatever you say faggot keep talking out of your ass.
>>
>>35095195
>some of us actually carry trauma kits
Ah, I see, so you're your college campus's first aid corps. Cute!

Don't slash open anyone's throat to do a tracheotomy next time you see someone choking in the caff`.

For someone chimping out about POST UR CRETENCHULS you haven't even posted yours, either. Amazing how your stories keep escalating, too.
>>
File: 1454304826050.jpg (29KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1454304826050.jpg
29KB, 604x453px
>>35094999
>normal people couldn't possibly know how to use a tourniquet
I learned in the 9th grade because it was a retard-easy elective, shut the fuck up.
>normal human blood pressure simply isnt high enough to defeat proper bandaging
Holy fucking shit.

I have a thirteen inch scar running from my elbow to my hand where a snapped steel cable whipped my arm the fuck open and down to the bone. A fucking bandage is going to fix that? Are you fucking stupid? Everyone in the ER said my life was saved by a 7/8" wrench and a leather belt, actual doctors who do this shit for a living.

I refuse to believe you're a professional because nobody in their right goddamn mind would believe the shit you are spewing.
>>
>>35095233
For someone who claims to be a professional you sure act like a child caught talking shit and have an awful amount of time to shitpost yet can't be bothered to timestamp a single credential.
>>
File: IMG_1682.jpg (1MB, 2267x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1682.jpg
1MB, 2267x4032px
>>35095247
>>35095233
>>
>>35095233
I posted mine
>>35095266
>>35095215

Lets see yours
>>
File: bookandcap.jpg (227KB, 759x688px) Image search: [Google]
bookandcap.jpg
227KB, 759x688px
>>35095239
>A fucking bandage is going to fix that?
Yes. How much pressure do you think your blood is under, normally?

I don't see why americans are so obsessed with tourniquets. They're unnecessary in most cases, and can lead to further damage if misapplied.

>>35095247
>claims to be a professional
Are you illiterate or something? I said I did a first aid course and have the guide book and am going over what we did in that course, which includes a hard and fast "Don't use tourniquets."

Why so defensive? Even your own documentation says not to use them unless you can maintain active monitoring of their blood pressure, and to only use commercial devices. Not leather belts and wrenches.

I sure hope I never get into an accident in the US, apparently the paramedics are all illiterate and think that the solution to everything is to ratchet a cargo strap around it as tight as possible.

>>35095191
also dental dams and alcohol wipes
>>
>>35094800
> sterile gloves are only used for invasive procedures. Non-sterile gloves work for 99% of prehospital procedures to be done in the field.

Dubs is right. I'm not an EMT or paramedic, but I'm an xray tech, and assist in invasive/interventional procedures a few times a week in my job. If you're on the side of a road or in an aisle at walmart or something, you're not in a sterile environment anyway, and a basic first aid kit isn't going to have the stuff required to make a sterile field for surgery anyway. Standard nitrile exam gloves are going to be a damn sight cleaner than your filthy hands anyway, as long as you store them reasonably well in your first aid kit.

Plus...you ARE taking the victim to a real hospital ASAP, right? Where they can take steps to control any infections?
>>
>>35095298
>Not a professional
>Lecturing professionals of emergency care
Please just stop, you are making yourself look foolish. That guy was not the one who posted his protocols. EMS agencies carry commercial devices, but guess what retard, we are trained to make our own with supplies we carry as well. It's not rocket science. Yes tissue damage can happen with misuse, hence why people are taught to use pressure, elevation, then TQ as a last resort. Have you ever treated an actual injury?
>>
File: IMG_1683.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1683.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>35095298
Straight from my EMT book
>>
>>35095314
>hospitals
>controlling infections
>>
>>35095191
>splitting hairs about what is technically sterile

There's no "technically sterile." There's sterile, and there's not-sterile.
>>
>>35095317
>Lecturing professionals of emergency care

>thread is about first aid and individuals' kits for EDC
>going on about shit you should be doing as a trained professional with access to actual equipment

I still don't believe that you're an actual real medical professional and are probably a med student intern or something. You couldn't even read your own documentation that you posted.

>Yes tissue damage can happen with misuse, hence why
hence why the untrained shouldn't be using tourniquets, and you're a retard for hyping them up so much when 99% of injuries in the west will not need a tourniquet.

Some random gear queer faggot browsing the board shouldn't be carrying around things like that; it's on par with retards who unironically carry extra pens and a box cutter on them in case they have to open up someone's airway, or people who insist on plugging holes in people with tampons. It's at best a help when done by a trained professional (which i still doubt you are; you still strike me as an overzealous student trying to play hero), usually does absolutely nothing because untrained people tie them in the wrong spots or not tight enough, and at worst is a danger to the casualty if the thing gets tied too tight or wasn't necessary in the first place.

If your leg is a fucking mangled stump because you got IED'd, go for a tourniquet, but some random dude in the street probably isn't going to be able to do much for that guy anyway. If someone slices their finger off in a kitchen, it's probably not time to ratchet their finger shut when gauze, tape, and maybe a bit of plastic sheeting will control the bleeding just fine.

Especially so for normal gashes; unless there's serious risk of losing the limb anyway, a person shouldn't be tying a tourniquet during first aid, and in case you missed the memo, once an ambulance is on scene, it's not first aid anymore, it's actual care with actual equipment and questionable professionals.
>>
They especially shouldn't be tromping around with shit like OP, fucking IV drips as a first aider? A FUCKING CATHETER!? Come the fuck on.
>>
File: 1453937854727.jpg (30KB, 305x283px) Image search: [Google]
1453937854727.jpg
30KB, 305x283px
>>35095298
>they're unnecessary
I want you to read this very carefully, because this is not McHale's Navy or wherever the fuck you got your "certifications" from with your souvenir hat:

Actual medical doctors, as in, real ones with many years of schooling and years and years of trauma surgery said, in no uncertain terms, that I saved my own life with an improvised tourniquet.
Medical professionals who probably have more relevant experience than you in what actual, normal fucking people come in with, disagree with your assertion surely born from severe mental retardation.

Now, sit there and think long and hard about this.

You're telling a guy who, while not a medical professional, has actually A: used a tourniquet successfully and B: was the recipient of 100% necessary use of a tourniquet to save his life, that "normal people don't know how to use tourniquets, use a bandage."
You're telling that same guy to put a tiny bandage on the length of his entire arm that was filleted like a motherfucking fish with both bones fully exposed and was literally spraying blood. I am not exaggerating, it squirted a good two feet after I fell down in shock because I could see the inside of my wrist through the floppy tube of my arm.

So let's recap:
>Doctors disagree with you.
>People in the thread are calling you out.
>Actual fucking reality does not coincide with your assertions.

Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>35095360
I think he just means "gloves intended to keep their nasty aids blood off of your nailbeds" and it's painfully obvious that he means that. Flex harder, faggot.
>>
>>35095331
Point taken... but you know what I mean. You're taking them where they will be seen by a doctor, have their wounds cleaned by such, given antibiotics, etc. If you're literally performing surgery, yes, you want sterile gloves. If you're performing first aid and moving the patient to where they will get a higher level of care, regular exam gloves stored in reasonably clean conditions will be entirely satisfactory.
>>
>>35095375
>Actual medical doctors, as in, real ones with many years of schooling
What part of "first aid" do you not understand?

Once you're seeing doctors and surgeons, you're not in a first aid situation anymore. Doctors don't carry "IFAKs" they have giant carts of equipment and nurses beneath them monitoring all kinds of electronic equipment when they work on people.

Are you really having that much trouble understanding what this thread is about?

>A: used a tourniquet successfully and
wow you managed not to kill someone!
>B: was the recipient of 100% necessary use of a tourniquet to save his life
inconclusive and proper first aid would have been to bandage it anyway. again, how much pressure do you think your blood is under?

> a tiny bandage
what do you think a bandage even *is*?
>>
>>35095377
he's using technical terms without understanding what they mean, then.

>35095204

understands what he's talking about.
>>
>>35095410
>he's using technical terms without understanding what they mean, then.
the audacity. how dare he think to put on latex gloves before touching someone who could be oozing any number of bodily fluids, but not referring to the type of gloves correctly. it's better he not even put on gloves at all.
>>
File: fucking disgusting.png (181KB, 460x558px) Image search: [Google]
fucking disgusting.png
181KB, 460x558px
>>35095401
>What part of "first aid" do you not understand?
Hey, dumb fuck, pay attention and learn to read.

I WAS THE ONE WHO APPLIED FIRST AID, YOU ISLAND-DWELLING BONGOLOID.

BIN YOURSELF AND YOUR FAGGOT HAT.

Doctors do actually know a thing or two about medicine and I'll take their opinion as 10000000000% more valuable than yours because you can't even fucking read a goddamn post on 4chan.

>wow you managed not to kill someone!
Myself.
>inconclusive
Wrong.
>proper first aid would have been to bandage it anyway
"Use a bandage" is not the proper procedure for an arm spewing blood and nearly split in two lengthwise. Go reference your google guide on that one and see what to do.
>how much pressure do you think your blood is under?
Enough to make my blood arc the better part of two feet. I don't have an exact measurement, but it sprayed almost the length of my arm away from my hand.

>what do you think a bandage even *is*?
Not the correct thing to use here you cousin-fucking retard.
>>
>>35095362
>literally posted my cert and protocols destroying your argument

>it's not first aid anymore, it's actual care with actual equipment and questionable professionals.
Stop spouting shit like you know what you are talking about, first aid as a term refers to civilians rendering aid, but in most circumstances first responders are the first to start treatment. Also, when I took my first aid class as a requirement, they taught us TQs.

>>35095371
>fucking IV drips as a first aider? A FUCKING CATHETER!? Come the fuck on.
I'm trained and certified to use everything in my kit retard. First aiders need to carry first aid shit, only professionals should carry advanced gear.
>>
>>35094611
>israeli bandage
>celox
>a couple of chest seals
>cat
>some painkillers
>just regular gauze
>>
>>35095298
You're a fucking idiot
>>
>>35095371
Where did OP say he was a first aider
>>
>>35095432
Doctors say not to use tourniquets unless it's either truly a last resort, or the nature of the injury is such that you CAN'T put pressure on it (like an amputated limb that's so mangled you can't get bandages around it feasibly, or situations where you can't stay to put pressure because of multiple casualties)

http://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/tourniquets/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_tourniquet#Risks
http://www.webmd.com/first-aid/tc/emergency-care-for-an-accidental-amputation-topic-overview#1
https://www.sharecare.com/health/first-aid-for-wounds/what-first-aid-treatment-amputations

and even if you are a doctor or surgeon, if you're in a first aid situation, you don't have access to the kind of gear you need to make an accurate diagnosis or do proper surgery and still shouldn't go fucking around trying to clamp them shut when pressure and pads will suffice.

Tourniquets have a time and place but every little paper cut like you (and most mallninja gear queer faggots) advocate is not it. in most cases, elevation and pressure will suffice. It's simple physics, a human body is not pumping blood so hard it can get through a blood soaked cloth.

Even the document you yourself posted already warns to only use commercial devices, and to not use them if other methods of controlling the bleeding will suffice. Basically every resource that isn't some Muhreen meme site advocates basically the same thing: don't use tourniquet unless it's a really exceptional case.

I really don't think you understand what "first aid" means. Try to resist the urge to slash someone open with a boxcutter to cram a pen barrel down someone's throat anytime soon. Especially don't go giving people fucking IV drips for no reason when you find them passed out at the bar. Double especially don't advocate for random mallninja anons to do either or to go fancying themselves doctors because they have an olive green fanny pack full of zip ties.
>>
>>35095401

First aid is literally pre-hospital setting care and treatment of the injured. The role of first aid is to provide medical care and management of injuries until transportation to or more detailed and more significant medical care can be provided.

Tourniquets absolutely save lives. They are a vital part of any first aid kit.

If you have the understanding or training on how to use a tourniquet, you should have and use it.

>inconclusive and proper first aid would have been to bandage it anyway. again, how much pressure do you think your blood is under?

Irreverent. The wound is still hemorrhaging at a significant rate if arterial spray is occurring. No amount of pressure will sufficiently staunch this flow. Denial of circulation the only thing that will, outside of surgical intervention.

General blood pressure in a state like this should be expected to be 2.6PSI at the Radial or Ulnar artery.

> Doctors don't carry "IFAKs" they have giant carts of equipment and nurses beneath them monitoring all kinds of electronic equipment when they work on people.

The CATs, RATs, and other tourniquet we use in a ER are exactly thew same as you see on ambulances and those you get online.
>>
>>35095477
What part of this are you not getting? OP here, I'm the guy who posted his protocols and cert. You have us mistaken. Also there are no IV drips in my kit, only start supplies, which you would know if you weren't fucking retarded and knew what you were talking about. Yes TQs have a time and place, but Dr.s are teaching them for first aid WHEN INDICATED, teaching people how to do it right is better than teaching them to not do it. TCCC courses all over the US teach it. Its part of EMS protocols almost everywhere AFTER pressure and elevation and taught in many first aid courses.
>It's simple physics, a human body is not pumping blood so hard it can get through a blood soaked cloth.
Stop talking. I have seen it before many times, on many patients, this is the most stupid fucking thing I have ever heard. You are truly autistic.
>>
>>35094825
The fuck are you getting your info? TQs are trained for and literally used in treatment of trauma in both the military, EMS, civ and LE.
>>
>>35095472
You're right, all he's said is that he has a pouch full of gauze, bags of saline, and a sharpie

>>35095486
>until transportation to or more detailed and more significant medical care can be provided.

Transportation and more detailed/significant care such as... Attention from an EMS with all his gear on him?

hmmmmmmmmmmm

>you should have and use it.
no, you should exhaust literally all other options and then still probably not use it since either you fucked something up along the way to make pressure and gauze not control a normal wound, or you should probably be doing better triage and finding someone who isn't literally only a torso now to treat

>The wound is still hemorrhaging at a significant rate if arterial spray is occurring.
if spray is occurring after you've bandaged them you fucked it up

>2.6 PSI
you can't stop that with your bare hands, let alone a well tied knot or two? Jesus Christ.
>>
>>35095500
>bags of saline,
It doesnt even say a bag of saline fucktard
>>
>>35095500
What was the last trauma patient you treated?
>>
>>35095495
>only start supplies,
Why are you starting IVs on people?

Even weirdos who call themselves "superheroes" and go about their nights treating drug and alcohol overdoses in the streets generally just hand out Gatorade.
>>
>>35095500
Oh wow I had no idea stopping bleeding was that easy, just squeeze it with your bare hands.
>>
>>35095500
kys my man
>>
>>35095510
No, we don't hand out gatorade. EMS is usually not allowed to hand out food or drinks, thats why we have IVs. TO replace electrolytes and fluid. I carry IV start supplies to start fucking IVS dumbass because thats part of shock management. If you get a GSW and bleed you are reducing your total volume and need a NS bolus. I go shooting easily 40 minutes from an EMS response, easily enough time to go into severe shock without proper treatment.
>>
>>35095508
>w-when did y-you l-last--
I don't run around playing mall ninja and jamming needles into people's arms for fun, and my coworkers tend not to straddle lines for fun.

I once had a pretty bad wound on my leg, though, and it was an arterial bleed; didn't need a tourniquet. Pressure and bandaging worked just fine. I was lucky to get immediate attention though.

>>35095514
>what is direct pressure
>>
>>35095500
What's so fucking hard for you to understand
>guy is bleeding
>apply pressure and elevation
<doesn't work, apply tourniquet
>>
>>35095477
>Doctors say not to use tourniquets unless it's either truly a last resort, or the nature of the injury is such that you CAN'T put pressure on it (like an amputated limb that's so mangled you can't get bandages around it feasibly, or situations where you can't stay to put pressure because of multiple casualties)
>like an amputated limb that's so mangled you can't get bandages around it feasibly
>so mangled
>can't get bandages around it feasibly

OPEN FUCKING QUESTION TO THE THREAD:

SCENARIO:
>Arm has been struck by a half-inch steel cable going a gorillion miles an hour
>Instant redneck fillet, almost cuts through arm
>complete loss in function
>blood literally spewing out
>both bones fully visible, one shattered, muscle severed
EQUIPMENT:
>wrenches, assorted sizes
>leather belt
>welding goggles
>duct tape
>assorted issues of Nintendo Power circa 1994-1995
>first-aid kit bought as-is from Wal-Mart at other end of shop area
QUESTION:
What do you do? How do you save yourself?
Is this bong a complete fucking retard? Y/N

>Even the document you yourself posted already
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF I didn't post any document you fucking mouth-breather. I'm the one with a sliced-up arm. These are my posts: >>35095239 >>35095375 >>35095432
>>
>>35095521
You don't do this professionally, yet are trying to say that me, a professional, does this for fun. I'm calling you out because you don't have experience treating injuries like I do, so shut the fuck up and listen when I'm telling you whats what.
>>
>>35095524
It's simple, I just squeeze the arm with hand and the bleeding stops, just like I was taught in my britcuckistan shit class where I got my stupid hat.
>>
>>35095520
again,
>thread is about people's own kits they carry around
>basically a thinly veiled EDC thread
Do EMS generally take their own gear to work? That seems like it'd be a big liability issue. It also seems a little dumb to go jamming IVs into people when you don't even know what's wrong with them.

>I go shooting easily 40 minutes from an EMS response, easily enough time to go into severe shock without proper treatment.

>>35095522
<doesn't work, apply tourniquet
the >implication itt is that tourniquets are the end-all-be-all to first aid. I'm surprised you fucks aren't fixing leather belts on people for cases of food poisoning

>>35095524
>first-aid kit bought as-is from Wal-Mart at other end of shop area
Tell the fucker next to me to put pressure above it while I get the kit, then fuckin wrap that shit up

>>35095537
amazing. it's like you literally can't conceive of any sort of first aid that doesn't involve wrenching a cuff on someone. traumatized much? maybe you should see a shrink about your fixation on belts.
>>
>>35095542
Hey, unlike you, I'm a trained professional and don't run around squeezing peoples hands and stopping bleedings for fun like a mall ninja.
>>
>>35095542
>Do EMS generally take their own gear to work? That seems like it'd be a big liability issue. It also seems a little dumb to go jamming IVs into people when you don't even know what's wrong with them.
No we don't carry our own gear, it would be a small liability, but cost is more the issue. Except that is why you are trained to be able to narrow down what is possibly wrong with someone, and shock treatment doesn't differ much no matter the cause IV fluids and Oxygen are going to be administered and the cause of shock is going to be treat and reveresed.

>>35095542
>>thread is about people's own kits they carry around
I know, I started the thread for people to post theirs. My kit has IV supplies because I am an EMS provider and live where I work, so I carry my kit in case I need it and am trained and legally allowed to do so.
>>
>>35095537
This thread is proof that the UK is worthless trash.

>>35095542
>Tell the fucker next to me to put pressure above it while I get the kit, then fuckin wrap that shit up
>next to me
>fucker
>next
>to
>me
This is how I know you're a disgusting retard because did I say there was a friend in the list of equipment? No. I did not. Nearest person is two and a half miles away, if they happened to be home at that moment.

YOU DIED.

Also lol literal fucking bandaids on a violent, life-threatening injury. Actual Johnson & Johnson bandaids from Britain's finest.
>>
>>35095542
i had both my legs blown off and all i had to do was have my mom kiss the boo boo. applying pressure is dangerous and unnecessary.
>>
>>35095500

>Well tied knot

This is now a tourniquet.
Unless you are putting it in the wound, in which case, you are now putting them at risk of an Aneurysm.
Good job.

>Transportation and more detailed/significant care such as... Attention from an EMS with all his gear on him?

hmmmmmmmmmmm

EMTs have nothing of particularly special equipage, besides a 5.7l driven truck with lights and sirens and a few nifty critical support devices The biggest thing they have? Oxygen. Their kit has the same general wound care stuff.

>if spray is occurring after you've bandaged them you fucked it up

Just because the wound is covered doesn't mean spray is no longer occurring. The artery has not stopped bleeding just because the wound is covered.

>exhaust literally all other options and then still probably not use it since either you fucked something up along the way to make pressure and gauze not control a normal wound

This is not a normal wound.

>>35095520

Well I mean
You do
Just to other EMTs and firefighters ;p

Are you in a state that allows EMTBs to start lines? Paramedic? AEMT/EMT-I?
>>
>>35095558
>gets shot
>loses 1000cc of blood
>hmm I wonder why this patient is in shock
>It can't possibly be that they are in hypovolemic shock due to blood los
>Maybe I should stop the bleeding and then initiate an IV and give saine to start treating the cause of their shock and bring their blood volume back up to help perfusion
>>
>>35095567
>EMTBs to start lines
I am a EMT-B and I can do IV's and IO as well as supraglottic airway. I never have to call medical direction unless I am giving nitro without prescription.
>>
>>35095500
>no, you should exhaust literally all other options..
If somebody gets their femoral artery cut they're dead in just a few minutes. You don't have much time to try different things.
>>
>>35095558
>I know, I started the thread for people to post theirs.
You know the "FA" in "IFAK" literally stand for "First Aid" and not "Ongoing Care In Ambulance On The Way To Hospital", right?

If you're innawoods or at the shop fussing with IVs, your priorities might be a little wonky.

>>35095564
>UK
you're really triggered, huh, you're literally resorting to screaming about boogeymen.

>did I say there was a friend in the list of equipment
>not having any friends
That would explain a lot about the way you act.

>Also lol literal fucking bandaids
Do you know what a bandage is? I don't think you do if you think I'm referring to Band-Aid(tm) little stretchy things, I mean actual dressings you dumb fuck.

>>35095567
>This is now a tourniquet.
A tourniquet is generally understood to be something that limits blood flow by sheer pressure cutting off blood flow through veins/arteries leading to the cut; tying a knot in a bandage is just to keep the dressings in place. The dressings limit the bleeding kinda the same way a wet towel will be able to pool liquid on it once it's totally saturated.

dressing =/= tourniquet and lmao if you fucks are literally ONLY applying tourniquets but still leaving gaping wounds open, what the fuck man

>>35095574
>and then initiate an IV
but you're not putting anything in the IV, didn't you already chimp out saying you don't carry any solutions to put on the IV? >>35095504

>>35095598
d i r e c t
p r e s s u r e
>>
>>35095583

Some states don't allow this unfortunately.

Im a former Paramedic. Work in an ER now as an acute care nurse practitioner. Hope your career goes well. It was the best job I ever had.
>>
>>35095609
>If you're innawoods or at the shop fussing with IVs, your priorities might be a little wonky.
Explain how. Please, Im waiting. I'm treating the cause of shock to keep the patient alive while we work on getting closer to a trauma center.
>>35095609
>didn't you already chimp out saying you don't carry any solutions to put on the IV?
Yeah I don't carry any, YET. I'm still putting my kit together.
>>
>>35095610
Thanks. I love my job, been doing this coming on 4 years. This has been the best 4 years of my life. Plus you get to see and do some crazy shit so thats a plus..
>>
>>35095609

>The dressings limit the bleeding kinda the same way a wet towel will be able to pool liquid on it once it's totally saturated.

This has been good trolling up to this point.

>Take towel
>Wrap towel around leaking pipe
>Towel has become totally soaked through
>Has the pipe stopped leaking?

vs

>Pipe is leaking
>Put towel around pipe
>Tun off the pipe
>Water stops
>>
>>35095619

Any plans to move up to the Paramedic level, go into nursing/medschool, ect?
>>
>>35095609
>arrive on the scene with an unconscious person bleeding
>just start applying direct pressure
>doesn't work, guy fucking dies
should've applied a tourniquet
>>
>>35095614
>>If you're innawoods or at the shop fussing with IVs, your priorities might be a little wonky.
>Literally the process goes like this
>Asses airway, breathing, and circulation
>If airway is patent go to breathing if not secure airway first,
>if they are breathing adequately on their own, go to circulation, if not begin bagging the patient to ensure adequate breathing
>asses circulation and stop any life threatening bleeding
>once you have bleeding controlled, or extra hands, establish an IV
>Give patient saline to replace lost blood volume
>transport patient to hospital

And I can do all of that if I am shooting and someone gets hurt. Regardless of being at work, thats why I carry it, because I can save a life knowing how to use it.
>>
>>35095628
Yeah I'm planning on medic school next fall
>>
>>35095609
>ree don't make fun of me for being a product of thousands of years of woad-painted incest
Cry me a fucking river you deserve to be treated like this.

>That would explain a lot about the way you act.
Said the boy googling shit and posting pictures of his dad's RAYOL NABY HAT :DDDDD without actually reading what's going on in the thread.

Meanwhile those of us who are adults who live in actual countries that aren't fat, slobbering laughing stocks as they cry into their tea sometimes do live in rural areas. Of which, I might add, make up most of the continental United States.

>Do you know what a bandage is?
Oh ho ho here we go again.
>I don't think you do if you think I'm referring to Band-Aid(tm) little stretchy things
GUESS WHAT IS IN A STORE BOUGHT FIRST AID KIT.
>I mean actual dressings you dumb fuck.
GUESS WHAT IS NOT IN A STORE BOUGHT FIRST AID KIT.

We established the kit was bought "as-is" from Wal-Mart. It was a gift. It wasn't modified.

You fucked up you gigantic, probably ginger, bongaloid retard. Go back to the start and try again: >>35095524
>SCENARIO:
>>Arm has been struck by a half-inch steel cable going a gorillion miles an hour
>>Instant redneck fillet, almost cuts through arm
>>complete loss in function
>>blood literally spewing out
>>both bones fully visible, one shattered, muscle severed
>EQUIPMENT:
>>wrenches, assorted sizes
>>leather belt
>>welding goggles
>>duct tape
>>assorted issues of Nintendo Power circa 1994-1995
>>first-aid kit bought as-is from Wal-Mart at other end of shop area
>QUESTION:
>What do you do? How do you save yourself?

Let's go, dumbass. Figure it out.
>>
>>35095644

Nice anon. It got me through nursing school and my masters program. I loved every bloodstained, coffee soaked and caffeine fueled moment of it.

10/10 would medic again.
>>
>>35095614
>I'm treating the cause of shock to keep the patient alive while we work on getting closer to a trauma center.
The cause of the shock is that they presumably are rapidly losing blood (or maybe not so rapidly and it's just been happening for a long time) and you are allowing them to continue losing blood by choosing to fuck around with IV needles instead of applying a dressing

it's double dumbassery since you apparently dont even carry anything to put on the IV

>>35095625
>Take towel
>Wrap towel around leaking pipe
>Towel has become totally soaked through
>Has the pipe stopped leaking?
m8 naval DC school is literally "There's a hole in the side of the ship? Fucking plug it with some wood cones and a couple of bedsheets"

one of the first things they teach you is that while The Ocean is big and vast and water is heavy, the actual pressure on a hole isn't actually that large, and smacking in a wedge with a mallet is generally sufficient. a proper seal is made by legit just stuffing rags in the side.

Shit nigger have you ever even plunged a sink or shower? The first protip there is is that you can make a better seal on non-flat surfaces by using a wet towel to make a better seal, it literally becomes more airtight than flat rubber on uneven ceramic/stainless steel.

>>35095632
>arrive on the scene with an unconscious person bleeding
your first instinct was apparently to put in an iv instead of cause them to stop bleeding, or to even check if they're breathing or not
>>
>>35095647
apply the good old squeezy mcqueesy
>>
>>35095652
>The cause of the shock is that they presumably are rapidly losing blood (or maybe not so rapidly and it's just been happening for a long time) and you are allowing them to continue losing blood by choosing to fuck around with IV needles instead of applying a dressing
>Not treating ABC first
You are a fucking retard. Thats literally the first priority. IV comes second, hence why there is a TQ on my kit

>>35095652
>it's double dumbassery since you apparently dont even carry anything to put on the IV
This shows me you are clueless. After their pressure tanks due to blood loss you are going to have a harder time getting IV access and it will delay IV access at the ER because they wont find a vein. Getting it early ensures they have one ready upon arrival.
>>
>>35095652
>your first instinct was apparently to put in an iv instead of cause them to stop bleeding, or to even check if they're breathing or not
>Making shit up because you are getting wrekt
>>
>>35095652
>rapidly losing blood
>Stop bleeding with pressure, or TQ
>Give IV
>Take to hospital
What is hard to understand
>>
>>35095652
I don't carry an IV but if I come across a person with catastrophic haemorrhage and I have no idea how long they've been laying there, I sure as hell won't start playing with some shitty bandages and just hope with fingers crossed that it stopped the bleeding
>>
File: shart in mart.png (19KB, 1263x165px) Image search: [Google]
shart in mart.png
19KB, 1263x165px
>>35095647
>actual countries that aren't fat, slobbering laughing stocks
t. most obese nation on earth that literally sharts in marts

you wouldnt last five seconds on >>>/bant/

>GUESS WHAT IS NOT IN A STORE BOUGHT FIRST AID KIT.
uhhhhh leather belts and wrenches are generally not in first aid kits. Probably for a reason. But literally every first aid kit comes with dressings of various sizes, and triangle bandages are basically just a big triangle of fabric, you can use literally any cloth ever to bandage

you're fucking retarded and have some weird fixations, man

seriously, do you understand what a bandage is? have you ever seen a bandage?

>>35095657
>Not treating ABC first
that is exactly what you are proposing, you're off installing IVs and tying tourniquets on his arms before even checking where the fuck the blood is even coming from
>>
File: britbongfucked.jpg (706KB, 2012x1448px) Image search: [Google]
britbongfucked.jpg
706KB, 2012x1448px
>>35095655
oi

are you usin yer hands wifout a license?

off to the billyboggle gohohoh bollocks blub piddly pim chuffed to hear it mate mmmm kebab shops me favrite blimey guvnah gibs yer ears an box yer uncle i reckon yeap jog on mate constubationatorium
>>
>>35095672
>that is exactly what you are proposing, you're off installing IVs and tying tourniquets on his arms before even checking where the fuck the blood is even coming from
Where the fuck did I say that? Stop making shit up because you can't properly articulate an argument
>>
>>35095652
>arrive on scene
>apply direct pressure with knee
>apply tourniquet
>send to hospital
instead of
>arrive on scene
>start fumbling with bandages that are rolling everywhere
>bleeding wont stop
>isded
>>
>>35094999
>this is the same kind of person who fucked everyone back in the early day of medicine because he rejects everything other than what his issued textbook and Slow to change seniors have taught him to never deviate from.
>>
>>35095664
>>rapidly losing blood
>>Stop bleeding with pressure,
Nice bait faggot. That would never work.
>>
>>35095652
>m8 naval DC school is literally "There's a hole in the side of the ship? Fucking plug it with some wood cones and a couple of bedsheets"
>one of the first things they teach you is that while The Ocean is big and vast and water is heavy, the actual pressure on a hole isn't actually that large, and smacking in a wedge with a mallet is generally sufficient. a proper seal is made by legit just stuffing rags in the side.
>Shit nigger have you ever even plunged a sink or shower? The first protip there is is that you can make a better seal on non-flat surfaces by using a wet towel to make a better seal, it literally becomes more airtight than flat rubber on uneven ceramic/stainless steel.

This is not nearly the same thing. You are attempting to create a total seal. A bandage, with pressure, does not create a total seal. Without proper staunching, a patient with an arterial bleed will bleed out.
>>
>>35095673

>Lost my mother to a bike wheel.
>>
>>35095672
>t. most obese nation on earth that literally sharts in marts
Nauru?

We put a man on the moon, you can't even master basic dentistry.

>uhhh leather belts and wrenches are generally not in first aid kits
l m a o

I'm sorry, but this is just hilarious seeing you squirm every which way you can to not admit that a wrench and a leather belt was literally the only thing I had to save my own life.

I'm really enjoying myself, at first you really pissed me off because I hate dumb fuckers and snaggle-toothed bongs with ever fiber of my being, but it's great to see you LARP and try really hard to pretend like you actually can stand up to >>35095676 and >>35095677 and others here who know what they're doing.
>>
>>35095676
>arrive on scene
>apply direct pressure with knee
>apply tourniquet
>send to hospital

you're seriously not even considering applying a dressing? fuckin' really?

>>35095677
lmao tourniquets are older doctrine than just bandaging everything

>>35095681
>A bandage, with pressure, does not create a total seal.
im sorry but basic physics disagrees with you and if you think that 2.6psi of pressure is too much for a properly applied dressing to deal with, i hope you never have to patch literally anything else in your life because most things run at higher pressures than that
>>
File: 1496035673304.jpg (51KB, 618x631px) Image search: [Google]
1496035673304.jpg
51KB, 618x631px
Could semen be used to make homemade IV bags?

Asking for a friend.
>>
>>35095690
>still obsessing over the UK
was the cable you snapped by being a fuckwit made in the commonwealth or something?

>a wrench and a leather belt was literally the only thing I had
except for, y'know, that fist aid kit you mentioned

you really are obsessing over this pretty hard. it's kinda sad to see. perhaps you should speak to a mental health professional about your little incident in high school, and your subsequent obsession with strapping belts onto things
>>
>>35095697
you have to water it down with milk
>>
>>35095693
Then you should realize that the medical field is ever fucking changing and to stick adamantly to one thinking and mocking others because the local people who teach and employ you say so is the dumbest shit ever. The shit thing is you'll go on to teach others later on, and instead of being proactive in advances and new approaches in the field, you'll become the very fudd who thinks everything moderately new or not stated in your personal text training = stupid and useless.
>>
>>35095693
If I feel that the tourniquet isn't necessary then I'll apply a pressure dressing and slowly release the tourniquet and observe if the bleeding is still stopped. But generally if I see a catastrophic haemorrhage I'll go for the tourniquet first, it's better to be safe than sorry.
Disclaimer: I don't think that a tourniquet is the answer to everything, that's why I also carry an israeli bandage and celox.
>>
>>35095698
>reee stop making fun of me
No.

>except for, y'know, that fist aid kit you mentioned
Let's look at that: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Be-Smart-Get-Prepared-First-Aid-Kit-85-pc/22145404?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=a158459b-5c10-42c9-83be-2d0ebf5cf3b3&config_id=106&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=a158459b-5c10-42c9-83be-2d0ebf5cf3b3&item_id=22145404&parent_anchor_item_id=14984573&parent_item_id=14984573&placement_id=irs-106-t1&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=ZP3emnNpywvomIEbUqH8Rw#read-more

Pic related, it contains TWO (2) FOUR PLY 4x4" GAUZE PADS. WOW. Holy shit just a little pressure and that'll solve anything, including a broken bone! Well, maybe not that, better bust out the big guns and use those antiseptic ointments and moist towelettes!

>you are really obsessing over this pretty hard
No, I'm insulting you because I think it's funny because I cannot possibly find you more pathetic and disgusting than I do right now. You actually think paper-thin gauze pads will stop what is without a doubt a fatal wound if the blood flow is not stopped.

You are unironically saying put a band-aid on a severed limb. You deserve every ounce of ridicule you get, and I will gladly reap the schadenfreude as you squeal in shame. Go slurp up some batter-fried anchovies, you disgusting fuck, but don't forget to wipe your mouth off. (your bull won't like it when he gets back from the mosque and your mouth is dirty)
>>
>>35095707
are you seriously saying that tourniquets aren't fudd shit? lmao. keep crying about the UK cucking your arm or whatever

>>35095712
>I don't think that a tourniquet is the answer to everything,
perhaps, but it is painfully obvious that most of this thread does think it is the answer to everything wound-related, and even the ONLY answer. people like >>35095676 who just entirely ignore dressings and bandages

>a catastrophic haemorrhage
even if a guy is bleeding that much from an arm or leg, it's still probably faster and safer to apply direct pressure with one hand and build a dressing on it. if it's bigger than your hand, yeah, you cant pressure the whole thing and will have to go above to limit the bleeding while you work, but the actual aid measure should be the dressing and direct pressure from a bandage, not a tourniquet above the injury

like, let's say someone's leg gets opened up somehow. if you cover his leg in gauze and shit, where is his blood gonna go now? into the gauze. then where? fuckin' nowhere, because the moist dressings below are gonna create a decent seal around the wound. preferably, you dress it such that the wound is also as closed as you're gonna get it, instead of just leaving it open like anons itt seem to think is good

but even that said, it's exceedingly rare to encounter those sorts of crazy injuries in routine life and planning what you intend to wear on your hip to go to the grocery store around that kind of extreme injury is, frankly, a little silly

it strikes me as naive and mallninja-ish that you dont really have anything to treat the sorts of minor boo-boos you actually see from people falling off of bikes or slipping on ice or eating shit off of stairs or whatever, but have shit for doing IVs. you manage to not have splints or ace bandages, but do have giant abdomen gauze pads and IV needles. the focus here seems misguided
>>
>>35095750
yeah it's obvious you don't know what dressings or bandages are. you're also apparently too stupid to use any other cloth, or prepare a first aid kit properly for the kind of shit you get up to.

>including a broken bone!
don't tell me you think tourniquets are appropriate for broken bones. holy shit if you actually think the solution to a broken bone is to lash something around it as tight as you can
>>
>>35095786
>people like >>35095676 (You) who just entirely ignore dressings and bandages
No, that was me too. Here's my philosophy on my own gear
>"He is going to fucking die"-tier bleeding
tourniquet
>That's a lot of blood
pressure dressing
>anything else like minor bleeding
band-aits and gauze pads and that kind of shit which I also carry. I don't see what's the problem.
>>
File: 1441931037672.gif (1MB, 350x300px) Image search: [Google]
1441931037672.gif
1MB, 350x300px
>>35095800
>yeah it's obvious you don't know what dressings or bandages are
Oh ho ho ho and here comes the backpedal. Like fucking clockwork, you went from "nobody can use a tourniquet" to "most people shouldn't" to "use mountains of first-aid dressings instead of a tourniquet" and then "get a friend to help you with a first aid kit!" to "use the first aid kit!"

Now that you've seen the first aid kit is LITERALLY BAND-AIDS, you go, "tut tut you don't understand what real first aid is!" I understand it infinitely more than you do, you fucking bongoloid.

Every iteration you've expressed some insane, irrational hatred for a tried and tested first-aid device that's been in use for millennia. You keep trying to come up with all these stupid theories about what might work and how I should've done X, Y, and Z with shit I did not have with my one hand. (tendons sliced right the fuck in half tend to incapacitate fingers and shit) In reality I had a "oh no I'm going to be dead soon" moment and improvised a solution to save myself. While you were fucking around with the first-aid kit and died, I lived with a wrench, a belt, and determination.

>you're also apparently too stupid to use any other cloth
Yes, because grease, dirt, and motor oil belong inside open wounds.
>prepare a first aid kit properly for the kind of shit you get up to
You're right, that was on me, but I adapted to the situation and overcame it. I have a better first-aid kit now that I actually made for the shop. It includes a CAT.

>don't tell me you think tourniquets are appropriate for broken bones
A sign of autism is an inability to detect sarcasm, in this case it's so thinly-veiled that it might as well had a big, neon said that said "HEY RETARD I AM INSULTING YOU." I'm not even joking right now, you've become an incredible lolcow.
>>
>>35094611
I carry a USMC IFAK-A1 as well as an extra tq, compression bandage, and quikclot. It not my first choice, but my company issues the ifak for free so I'm not complaining.
>>
>>35094719
I carry a flatpack at work. dropped my tq so many times cause its a shit design
>>
>>35094999
>wanna know how I know you're some dumbshit first year pre-med student or something?

Yes, please explain why a premed student would be on an ambulance.

I'll wait
>>
>>35094611

Like said last time.

>Heroine.
This kills the pain.
>Red bandana.
Covers wound, tricks enemy into thinking you're gay, not hurt.
>Hello kitty bandaids
When you hit fan with shit.
>>
>>35097153

Not OP, my bro is in his 2nd yr of med school, he works part time as a EMT.
>>
>>35095150
>it's a two day course and like an extra fifteen bucks to keep the book if you aren't getting it for free through your workplace

Okay, I get it. Your 2 day course trumps my associates in paramedicine, bachelors in human biology and 5 years as a paramedic.
>>
>>35097215

Glad you recognize it.
>>
>>35095417
It's the medical equivalent of calling every rifle an ak47. Sterile gloves go over your regular gloves for a procedure. Regular gloves are just gloves, or nitrile gloves.
>>
>>35095401
>what do you think a bandage even *is*?

Please define bandage for us
>>
>>35095521
>I once had a pretty bad wound on my leg, though, and it was an arterial bleed; didn't need a tourniquet. Pressure and bandaging worked just fine. I was lucky to get immediate attention though
>I had arterial bleeding but didnt need a tourniquet
Uhhh..
> Pressure and bandaging worked just fine. I was lucky to get immediate attention though.
>got immediate attention
... so you didn't even have to do a single thing since you got immediate attention; meaning you don't know whether or not your bandaging did anything at all...

This has to be bait.
>>
>>35095477
>It's simple physics, a human body is not pumping blood so hard it can get through a blood soaked cloth.

I've seen blood shoot 12 feet across a room. I've seen it hit the ceiling. A 4x4 is not going to stop that.

You seem like that jackass that tries to tell me how to do my job while on scene and always insists that he ride in the back of the ambulance. Fuck off and trust that the people who have made a career out of the very thing you took a 2 day course on know what the fuck they are doing.
>>
>>35095542
>It also seems a little dumb to go jamming IVs into people when you don't even know what's wrong with them.

I obtain access on every patient where I don't know whats going on with them. An IV is barely invasive and can make the difference in a lot of patients.
>>
>>35095609
>Do you know what a bandage is? I don't think you do if you think I'm referring to Band-Aid(tm) little stretchy things, I mean actual dressings you dumb fuck.

Dressings and bandages are not the same thing
>>
>>35097188
>Not OP, my bro is in his 2nd yr of med school, he works part time as a EMT.

Jesus. How much adderall does he take on a daily basis?
>>
Here's what I carry
1) A RATT tourniquet;
2) A FUCKING Epi-pen 2 pack;
3) An Angiocath for needle decompression;
4) A cheapass old Littmann lightweight stethoscope so I can hear breath sounds;
5) A #10 blade and stainless Zebra pen for a cryc set;
6) A medium CPR mask;
7) A flashlight wrapped in duct tape;
8) Tape, 4x4s, gloves, chest seal, acetaminophen, splinter tweezers, pick ups, a hemostat, Sharpie and other assorted bits of mostly useless shit;
8) Training and experience: 4 years undergraduate, 4 years medical school, 3 years residency, a Board certification, a medical license and 17 years in practice.
9) Limited tolerance for certain people and their "medical" opinions.
>>
>>35097431
Not all dressings have bandages, but all bandages either have or act as, dressings.
>>
>>35097576
Hmph. Just looked. Add: "Nasal trumpet," "Band-aids" and "Celox packets."
>>
>>35097528

Not enough. He tries to boast that he does it to help people. I then remind him that his area is a dindu infested area, that he is helping animals, not people.
>>
I have a buddy thats a FF/EMT. He said he could get some basic shit for me and would be willing to school me on a few things. Would should I try and get for a small IFAK(use mostly for range trips i'd guess) and also what could he show me? anything specific to ask?
>>
>>35097576
Interesting, what made you go with the rats tourniquet?
>>
>>35097852

Easier to hang myself with.
>>
>>35098007
I personally like to use a CAT, it's really easy to euthanize myself with it.
>>
>>35094825
Ur dumb, go take a first aid class.

T. EMT and firefighter
>>
>>35094611
>I dont know what I'm doing
The post.

>2x2 gauze
>4x4 gauze
>one pair of gloves
>alcohol wipes
>saline
>needles
>iv

jesus christ you really don't understand what an ifak is or what it's for
>>
adding insult to injury for that one dipshit ITT: someone saving someone using a tq just a few days ago in not iraq/afghanistan
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?27561-Get-a-med-kit-if-you-don-t-already-have-one
>>
>>35098684
I literally am a professional medical provider and can tailor a pack for MY needs, as should you
>>
>>35097179
I remember your post last time
>>
>>35098684
Gauze and bandaging stops bleeding, IV access helps the ER staff and the patient, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>35098684
>carrying advanced supplies means you dont know what you are doing
Sorry you only have a first aid cert and don't understand shock management
>>
>>35094825
please apply a tourniquet around your throat you dipshit.
>>
>>35094850
if you weren't such a moronic ass you'd know it takes hours for any damage to begin in muscle tissue from hypoxia. much longer then the time you'd survive with your blood leaking out of you.
>>
>>35094999
please burn your first aid certificate. you didn't earn it or it didn't teach you shit.
>>
File: 1276526296591.jpg (14KB, 266x394px) Image search: [Google]
1276526296591.jpg
14KB, 266x394px
EMR noob here, sorry for interrupting the tourniquet fistfight, but what should I carry in my IFAK for dealing with fractures/dislocations? I was told SAM splints are pretty good.
>>
>>35094999

Did you ever think that all of these professionals tell you not to use a tournequet because all you have is a pool lifeguard level first aid cert and they're well aware that you have no fucking idea what you're doing or talking about?
>>
>>35094825
Paramedic here. Tourniquets are the multisyatem trauma gold standard.

Not only do they work, but why the fuck should I dick around with trying to wrap a bandage on a limb that may need to be wrapped when I can throw a tq on it and move straight to abd wound or managing airway
>>
>>35099780

It would probably be easier and save some space if you just put some cravats in there, you can use a lot of shit around as a splint 99% of the time
>>
>>35094850
How many dicks have been amputated after viagra hit the market? Because you have blood cut off for four fucking hours before you are even instructed to go to the ER. The reason for TQ amputations is because they're already mangled beyond saving -- hence why bleeding can't be controlled without the tq in the first place
>>
>>35099780
Triangle Bandages, maybe a sam splint and coban
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>35095298
Not posting my cert but here I am, in my 511s, in my ambulance, that I work in 5 days a week or more, because it's my profession, that required a 3 month EMT B very followed by 12 months of paramedic school that included 30-60 hours per week of clinicals alone of time in the ER, fire department, surgery labor and delivery (and more), in addition to actual study material and rigorous testing requiring an 82% grade average at minimum and following both the hospital (a level 1 fucking trauma hospital at that) final test and the national test I have in my wallet a state and national paramedic cert AS WELL AS a required *International Life Support* card and work at a company who's medical director is a fucking army trauma surgeon. And with this in mind I'll tell you right now you're a retard. TQs save lives. All evidence proves this, and you're operating off of a novice level course that itself is off of outdated research. Look at backboards. Evidence shows they're near useless, but retarded programs like yours still advocate using them. And it doesn't help that in bongistan your medical care is like 5 years behind America in protocol. I mean ffs you clowns still use Valium in pediatric seizures
>>
>>35095583
What state? Ohio would never let EMTs do this even though they should. Can blame them though when hospitals here are like McDonald's and basic registry us a fucking joke
>>
>>35097852
I like the RATS (not RATT... thanks) because it's compact, stupid easy, effective and you can practice with it so you know how it should feel when applied. It can be applied with one hand, if that matters.

YMMV.
>>
>>35100182
Don't bother. When Eurofag med students show up on foreign exchange rotations in the US they invariably shit their pants over how haaaaard we work.

A few of them manage to become decent physicians in spite of it, but they're the exceptions. Decades of socialized medicine, a shitty work ethic and generalized faggotry have made most of them the equivalent of Dr. Lexus.
>>
>>35100251
WA. Only allowed by some MPDs, some counties protocols are shit
>>
>>35100408
>Dr. Lexus.
The lazy rich doctor villain, Lexus Luthor?
>>
>>35098976
Yeah but, and im not that anon, but you dont need 2x2s AND 4x4s....you can just fold the 4x4 to make a 2x2.

>>35100294
But doc, there is literally zero evidence that a RATS is effective in providing total occlusion. Not one peer reviewed study that shows its effective. There are tons of TQs out there and yet the CoTCCC still only recommend 2
>>
>>35094611
I keep a "military style" IFAK in my range bag. I'm new to the IFAK scene and haven't practiced with my equipment yet, but I am taking an advanced first aid class at a local community college.
>>
>>35101394
I supposed I could do that, more efficient use of space
>>
Emt's are the retarded garbage kids that are a cunt hair to smart for McDonalds but way to stupid to do anything else in the medical field.
>>
>>35101581
Not even deserving of a response. Clearly you know nothing about medicine. As an EMT where I work I can do more things than the nurses in many hospitals without having to consult a Dr. first.
>>
>>35101581
I sure hope you never have a medical emergency and need 911 to respond. People like you should just be left to die.
>>
>>35101581
>Pissed off RN mad that you have to ask daddy Dr for permission before doing anything
>>
>>35101394
Fair enough. Which do you prefer?
>>
>>35101592
>>35101603
>>35101612

>takes bait like dumbass emt's
>>
>>35101592
>As an EMT
Your scope of practice is boy scout first aid merit badge with some extra shit, relax ketchup dick

>>35101650
CAT and SOFT-W are the two recommend. The SOFT can pack flatter and i prefer the metal windlass
>>
File: cuckpepe.png (149KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
cuckpepe.png
149KB, 499x499px
>>35101612
>>35101603
>>35101592
>>35101663

He probably make the same money putting ketchup on burgers full time... the sweet 32k job. Must have so much training and be a wealth of medical knowledge and professionalism....
>>
>Why don't you carry one
>Implying

>What's in yours?
2lazy4that
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (12KB, 333x187px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
12KB, 333x187px
>>35101082
No, no, no...
This guy.
>>
>>35101663
Cool. I have a CAT floating around somewhere. Upgrade in progress. I'll order a SOFTT-W from Chinook tomorrow.

I bow to your superior autism, sir.
>>
>>35101765
I usually hate the overuse of the term autism, but if im going to be autistic, it might as well be about peer reviewed scientifically valid medical research
>>
File: Ive fallen and I cant get up.jpg (2MB, 2008x2868px) Image search: [Google]
Ive fallen and I cant get up.jpg
2MB, 2008x2868px
>>35101782
/k/ - Peer reviewed autism
>>
>>35101663
>placing supraglottic airway and IO access
Whats your scope faggot? Probably nothing.
>>
>>35101684
>tfw Firefighter/Medics make 100k at your dept
>gets called the equivalent of a burger flipper
Sometimes I hate my job because of ungrateful fucks like you who talk all this shit then have no problem calling 911 when you fat neckbeard fucks have a STEMI while walking up your moms basement stairs or mowing the lawn on a hot day.
>>
>>35101684
It amazes me that people are willing to be first responders with how much shit they get. Literally getting PTSD and taking risks to save peoples lives and dealing with shitheads all the time only to get mocked and insulted.
>>
>>35101841
People hating on firefighter and EMTs are just butthurt do-nothings. That or butthurt military medics. That or butthurt doctors and nurses mad that EMTs and firefighters are loved by the general populace and praised for their first-responding.
>>
>>35101826
OOOOOOOO blind insertion airway devices, thats so hard

The EMT scope IS nothing, just because your state allows some additional training to let you a few extra things, doesnt change that
>>
You're all just a bunch of LARPERS anyways.

Also, STOMP COYOTE TACTICAL?!?!?!?!
>>
>>35101899
>EMT scope IS nothing
Like I said, post your scope of fuck off. You can't talk shit when you yourself aren't allowed to do anything. Fucking layperson.
>>
>>35101899
>butthurt med school future dropout spotted
EMTs are great.
>>
>>35101899
EMTs in my state are going to start getting albuterol nebs and ODT Zofran. You can say it is nothing, but EMTs can do more shit on their own than almost all other medical professionals.
>>
>>35101899
>OOOOOOOO blind insertion airway devices, thats so hard
Says the faggot who probably has 0 patient interactions. Sure they are easy to place. Lets see you get forearm or AC IV access on a trauma patient with multiple bilateral open fractures on both arms.
>>
>>35095161
This is semantics, but sterile gloves are distinct from regular ol' nitrile gloves.
Sterile gloves come sterile sealed in a package for use in ORs elbow-deep in a patient. Nitrile gloves come by the 100 in a box.
You don't need sterile gloves pre-hospital.

>>35094999
St John's can suck my dick.
TQs are faster and better at stopping blood flow, especially if somebody has multiple wounds to their extremity. If you're dealing with a decapitation or a limb turned to hamburger, a pressure bandage will not be adequate.
I don't care if you use a cravat and a stick or if you spent $50 on the latest greatest tacticool TQ, have one and know how to use it.
>>
>>35101841
Lmfao you don't gotta lie... 100k my ass.
>>
>>35101911
Do you not know what the national EMT scope is? Why do i need to post it?

>>35101926
Except Medics, doctors, and midlevels

>>35101946
Why would i place an IV in that patients arm and not just EJ or IO them?

Ive been an EMT for 8 years, but realize what the EMT scope is. Sure some states are letting their Basics do more, but then why not make everyone AEMT at that point
>>
>>35102003
>Hurr I'm too stupid to realize salary varies greatly by agency and region
I live in the state with some of the highest paid firefighter paramedics. After OT every single guy at my department was clearing $100k except the temp hires and probies.
>>
>>35102017
>Except Medics, doctors, and midlevels
Yeah, hence why I said almost all others.

>>35102017
>Why would i place an IV in that patients arm and not just EJ or IO them?
Go for the less invasive procedure first. If you are an EMT why are you talking so much shit about EMTs? If you have been a basic for 8 years you fail at life.
>>
>>35099780
SAM splints are easy as hell to use and very effective.
>>
>>35102038
my dept my dept duururrrrererre WeMaKe100K lmao you dont quit trying to "be cool" for the internet. Probably in the same place 100k a year is poor.
>>
>>35102076
Keep backpedaling faggot. $100k where I live is in the top 5% of income earners for my county. Sorry you are a broke retard who thinks $100k is too much money for an average person to make. Add up the top step I posted. That's almost $80k a year before overtime, and my department was dropping $50k on overtime a month with only 27 guys on the roster.
>>
>>35102076
Probably still more than you are making anon. Whats with the jealousy? You have some deep issues man
>>
>>35102017
>why not make everyone an AEMT
Because AEMT was also a completely arbitrary designation because democrats needed to justify themselves.
>>
File: pepe.jpg (8KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
8KB, 180x180px
>>35102114
"Broke retard"... I'd feel broke making 100k a year. You're dumb to believe someone is this retarded. Was nice fucking with you tho.
>>
>see first aid thread
>hey good, I'm always looking for more input on what is good to include
>200 posts of autistic screeching on tourniquets
>>
File: 1504723389226.gif (451KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
1504723389226.gif
451KB, 500x313px
>>35102249
Just sift through the shit, found out I need more compressed gauze at least
>>
>>35102279
Compressed gauze is pretty great.
Thread posts: 208
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.