[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>/k/ is it? You must be my new officer >Tomorrow we are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: iu[1].jpg (21KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
21KB, 333x500px
>/k/ is it? You must be my new officer
>Tomorrow we are going to line up in a conventional manner and you will lead the first wave against the French.
>That is unless you think there is a better method to use our men and arms more effectively?
>>
You're gonna make all of /k/ a collective single officer? I go by anon or anonymous but you said all of /k/ so alright

Let me call em
>>
>>35089850
>That is unless you think there is a better method to use our men and arms more effectively?
create obscene Chevaux de Frise forts, fill with boxes of poudre noir, while a motley collection of regiments fire wildly in the general direction of the enemy, then, when the enemy is trying to break into the "fort", blow it up while 5-6 bagpipers on a plank tower all play different songs at onece
>>
>>35089893
Mount and Blade ruined Napoleonic history for me.

Light infantry tactics and massed artillery. Use open order to quickly traverse broken ground and destroy the French supply columns.
>>
>>35089850
Do you expect me to invent the radio on the spot?
>>
squad based fire and maneuver

that zig zag shit they did near the end of ww1

attach a cannon to shielded iron carts that infantry can hide behind in an advance
>>
>>35089893
SCOOTLAAAAAANDD FOREEEEVEEEER!!
>>
>>35090026
HURRAH FOR OLD NOSEY!!!
>congreave rocket
congreave rocket
>congreave rocket
congreave rocket
>congreave rocket
congreave rocket
>congreave rocket
>>
>>35090021
>squad based fire and maneuver
Not going work in this era where the squad based autonomy isn't even a concept

>that zig zag shit they did near the end of ww1
what

>attach a cannon to shielded iron carts that infantry can hide behind in an advance
how will you keep the powder and ammo with the cannon? Making the shield large enough to protect a horse trailing behind it carrying ammo would make it extremely heavy
>>
File: IMG_1972.jpg (512KB, 1024x508px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1972.jpg
512KB, 1024x508px
>>35090026
GOD SHITS ON THE KAISER
>>
>>35090057
Why can't squad based automony be a thing?

>zig zag
Spread out, single file, move across no mans land in a zig zag pattern, apparently was effective.

>how will you keep the powder and ammo with the cannon? Making the shield large enough to protect a horse trailing behind it carrying ammo would make it extremely heavy
You don't bring ammo, just a few canister rounds for punch holes in the enemy line. Main purpose is protection.
>>
>>35089850
You have oil, glass, and cloth laying around right?
Time to turn the french into french fries.
>>
>>35090146
>t.partizani
>>
>>35089850
>I have a great idea for a rifle, it's called the akm
>>
File: 1473971963122.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1473971963122.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>35089893
>when the server mods start deleted your cheval de frise tower
>>
>>35090130
>Why can't squad based automony be a thing?
How do you intend to coordinate them?
>>
>>35090155
Exactly.
>>35090157
Maybe too complex for the people in that era. Perhaps a bolt action or single action would be feasible.
>>
File: IMG_5232.gif (2MB, 377x311px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5232.gif
2MB, 377x311px
>>
>>35090195
Animal calls?
>>
>>35090210
That would make the colonial troops more confused than usual.
>>
>>35090195
Flagging, whistle, hand motions, telescopes whatever.

Did the idea not already exist by Napoleon's time where he told generals to march divided and march to the sound of guns?

Plus the idea is they would be autonomous and trained to fight on their own if needed. Plus I think this would lead to a pressing need for faster firing weapons to be invented/adopted earlier as a musket left a man vulnerable.
>>
>>35090210
>random bird flies by and makes a noise
>one of your squads attacks 30 minutes early
>>
>>35089850

>>That is unless you think there is a better method to use our men and arms more effectively?
Nope.
The tactics they used were the absolute best you could employ with those kinds of weapons.
>>
>>35090261
Multiple whistles and flags on the battleground when you are deaf and blind after two musket volleys? The bright uniforms and large formations existed for a reason, skirmishers were the exception but they rarely had much effect on the battle.
>>
>>35090070
>tfw you will never go to war in a tophat
>>
>>35089893
GOD SHITS THE KAISER
>>
>be officer
>Career is driven by positive OERs
>Trying to impress CO and Senior Rater by taking on seemingly impossible task as implied with no thought even though my job as an officer is to think
>Ignore advice of senior NCOs because fuck their careers
>Tell the troops we're all filling the same orders and we'll get through this together
>Get troops shot to shit
>Battle is overall success
>Have modern sugereon heal wounds instead of just amputation
>Get promotion for being such a puppet instead of leader
>The toxic leadership grows

No Sir! Good plan Sir! Wilco!
>>
>>35090252
They may get spooked by the idea of ghost birds that sing before they get attacked.
>>35090264
One would think there would be a code embedded in these calls. Could we recreate Morse code with bird call?
>>
>>35090021
how are you going to acheive volume of effective fire with smooth bore muskets that rely on mass fire to compensate for accuracy?
>>
>>35090294
>not going to Africa just so you can go to war in a tophat.
>>
>>35090261
>lead to a pressing need for faster firing weapons to be invented/adopted earlier as a musket left a man vulnerable.

i no rite, why didn't they just build armalites already
>>
File: 12235634644.gif (1MB, 320x314px) Image search: [Google]
12235634644.gif
1MB, 320x314px
>>35089893
What a fucking great game.
>>
>>35090331
You really going to make signals when no one can hear shit and there is so much smoke that it looks like a fog machine went into overdrive?
>>
>>35089850
I'm going to wave my sword and shout "follow me"
>>
>>35090261
Have you never been shot a black powder rifle or been to a civil war reenactment? Low visibility and deafness are normal because what the fuck was hearing protection at the time. Hence why Guidons where such a big deal and usually bright as fuck
>>
>>35090379
No. Just signals to say "go over here" or "attack" before the shooting starts.
>>
>>35090420
I've seen the re enactment of the Battle of Leipzig in Leipzig so I can understand the smoke.

inevitably, you would lose contact with squads but if those squads can stay in contact with each other and act accordingly to their situation I think things could be handled fine.

That said, it can never really be tested so I'm just spitballing really
>>
>>35090422
That is not squad level Fire and maneuver warfare
>>
>>35089999
integers validate the implication

>>35089850
There is literally nothing better. If we fought this way we wold have won both Vietnam, and Korea.
>>
>>35090459
Yes it can, just look at the major conflicts of the period and you start to realize what does and doesn't work. Hell the American were doing this idea during the early parts of the Revolutionary war and were getting the shit kicked out of them until they switch to the mainland style of warfare. We like to think that we are smarter than those that come before us but most of those leaders had been in regional conflicts for the better part of 200 years with the tech and learned to use it very well. it is only around the civil war that tech changed enough to start making line formation obsolete and it didn't hammer home until WW1 and then it is off to the races with WW2.
>>
>>35090469
Best we can do. Besides, it may be better than going too complex.
>>
more skirmishing units who have actually use camouflage, they can close distance to account for inaccuracy hopefully undetected.

and probably dogs or some shit idk
>>
>>35089850
Underaged fag, listen. You ever see army mens doing marching drills in parades? No, not the gay parades your dad's partner always take you to. Military parades. Ever noticed how they are all very stiff, move as a unit and follow orders like robots? All these were to overcome the human instinct to flee from death. Today marching is mainly ceremonial but at one time, it served a purpose in battles. Now, you wonder, why go through all this trouble? The answer is to read the replies in this thread and maybe go find some history books.
>>
>>35089850
>Mount cannons to horse's and men
>Practice naval warfare tactics
We got this, tally-ho
>>
>>35091177
OP here, I agree with what you said and I thought I left it as an open ended question to see if there was some interesting alternatives.

But it sounds like you have some good book recommendations about 18th/19th century tactics?
>>
>>35090261
Formation and bright uniforms were meant to aid against the poor visiblity created by black powder, you'd have guys running around like headless chickens
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.