[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear /k/, I am interested in purchasing a "real"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

Dear /k/,

I am interested in purchasing a "real" gun, but am overwhelmed by the options. By this, I mean a gun that has a the potential for relatively large magazine size, fires larger calibers, can fire relatively accurately over relatively long ranges, and is semi-automatic. A sort of JoaT.

What would your choice be? Why did you choose that over other available options? Also, what addons would you consider essential, besides optics?

Let's keep the price range, with reasonable level of addons (i.e., optics, strap) to between 500 and 1500.
>>
For example, M1A vs. AK vs. AR?

How did you decide?
>>
You want a battle rifle then. Your low ball will be a century cetme, mid-range will be PTR and the wise choice will be a cheap ar10 like dpms.
>relatively large magazine size
You can get 30rders and drums for AR10s. You can also get larger mags for FALs too, but that might be out of you price range.
>Also, what addons would you consider essential, besides optics?
Nothing desu. People meme about "rifle is fine", but if its just a range toy you dont even need a sling. If "relatively accurate" is what you're aiming for, just get an no-name airshit optic and dont stress.
>>
>>35087238
AR for sheer aftermarket and inexpensive ammo and good price.

AK if you want to be unique/commie, but smaller aftermarket, less decent options and generally more expensive up front.

M1A isn't really comparable to the other two, get it if you like M1s/M14s aesthetic
>>
>>35087251
Thanks much, will check out the ar10 from dpms. Looks like a good balance of price / oomph.
Thanks for the input on the addons. Seeing the rifles posted here can sometimes be overwhelming.
>>35087264
AR sounds like the one for me. Not a commie, don't care about uniqueness, nor aesthetics.
>>
File: 20170901_115414.jpg (4MB, 1859x3614px) Image search: [Google]
20170901_115414.jpg
4MB, 1859x3614px
>>35087186

Theres a lot of options and most of them are good choices. Probably not what you want to hear but build an AR15. It does all of that except maybe the large caliber part cheaply, efficiently, and to your own taste. It's a well documented gun to build and it's like legos, you'll understand it inside and out. The hardest part is knowing what its purpose will be as you build it, the two main types are for endurance and accuracy. The easiest way is to use PSA (not sure if they're site is still hacked I've ordered many times and never had an issue):

Choose a caliber cheap and common, most likely 223/5.56. It will kill white tail to 200 yards.

Buy a lower parts kit with stock of your choosing, it comes with everything you'll need. Magpul is durable, just above entry grade things

Buy a 7075 forged aluminum lower, billet aluminum is more expensive and insignificantly more durable

Buy an upper from any nice brand, PSA is again better than anything similarly priced but it's nice to have an even better quality upper. The upper you're looking for will have a chrome lined barrel for endurance or stainless for accuracy. A stainless will burn up significantly faster. The gas system you're after will need to be mid length, carbine is stupid with only drawbacks unless you're building an SBR, rifle length if you're going for a full stock with M16 buffer (when you bought your lower kit look at the buffer type it came with, carbine = carbine or mid length gas).

You'll notice some uppers say with or without BCG and CH. Thats the bolt carrier group and charging handle, dont be afraid to buy without, you buy them separately as one piece each and get to pick what you want. The BCG you want comes from a good brand, is full auto style (AKA m16) and made of carpenter steel or nickel boron. If you're smart you'll get a BCM ambidextrous charging handle to have an easy life.

Assemble with a guide, it's so much easier than you think it is. Pic was $~1000 before optic
>>
Save your pennies and get a SCAR17, they can be had for around 2500 these days.

You will never need another gun for the rest of your life.
>>
>>35087238
Cal fag here, just got a m1a 16 Socom. The guy talked me into a scope which I already regret but I might rake it off and put it on a future 700. Now I just need to wait 9 more days...
>>
>>35087186
I'm considering the s&w m&p ar15 sport II from buds guns $499 at the moment. Seems like a good first rifle
>>
>>35087312
Thanks very much for the input friend.

>>35087313
I'll check these out.

>>35087414
I'll check that out, too.

Thanks for the input, all.
>>
>>35087186
I love my m1a is super accurate and fun to shoot. Easy to clean and I don't need to take anything apart to clean it
>>
>>35087312
>chrome lined barrel for endurance
bruh, nitride is fine. none of the budget non-stainless barrels have chrome.
>>
>>35087445
Hows your reliability? and how bad is heat after a lot of rounds?
>>
OP,what do you want the gun for?Whats its purpose going to be?

We can reccomend something much better if we know the purpose of the gun.

Be honest,we dont give a fuck
>>
File: top quality fair price.jpg (967KB, 1194x4728px) Image search: [Google]
top quality fair price.jpg
967KB, 1194x4728px
>>35087186
Get pic related
>fires multiple calibers
>made of metal not plastic like ARs
>clips hold lots of bullets plus made for that exact gun (not like generic AR clips) plus also made of metal (not like plastic AR clips)
>can put scope right on don't need to add lego parts
>shoots very straight, much more accurate than AR at long range
>>
>>35092553
Delete this before the /arg/ trip fags come covered in salt
>>
>>35087312
>j-just g-get an ar
kys
>>
>>35087186
Ruger mini 14 or mini 30
>>
>>35087186
AR-10, 16 inch barrel, 15 inch M-Lok handguard. Whatever Vortex scope is on sale. Some back up iron sights. A laser/light combo. A foregrip or something if you really need one.
>>
>>35095057
fuck off with your ruger shit
>>
>>35087312
>Billet (I.E. castings with inconsistent grain flow milled down) receivers are stronger than forgings

Protip they literally are not and are weaker
>>
>>35087340
shouldve gotten a scout squad
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.