[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me how the "grain" system works?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: 20170702_193323.jpg (438KB, 952x937px) Image search: [Google]
20170702_193323.jpg
438KB, 952x937px
Can someone explain to me how the "grain" system works? I get how (for example) 185 grain is stronger than 115, but what exactly is it stronger in? Faster bullet?

Also I have no frame of reference. Give me some example calibers (start with 9mm, .223, .308 for example) and explain to me the minimum and maximum ranges of "grain count" and why those arbitrary numbers were chosen.
>>
>>35069604

weight of the projectile
>>
grain just refers to bullet weight. usually bigger cartridge = more grain because bigger bullet. usually also means bigger cartridge means more powder to make bullet fly faster and hit harder. different materials will have different grains even with the same size eg plastic vs lead vs copper vs steel
>>
>>35069604
Weight of actual bullet in measurement of mass (grains/grams)
>>
not to be an ass but you really could have googled that one. You should lurk for like two more years, also go ahead and discard any opinions you have about guns at this point because they are wrong.
>>
>>35069619
>>35069628
>>35069638
Okay, thanks, I thought it correlated with the amount of gunpowder somehow. Is less or more bullet weight in the same caliber ideal? Or does it vary between guns, like would a heavier 9mm be better than a lighter .223?
>>35069642
Fag
>>
>>35069604
Grains usually refer to the weight of the projectile.
Occasionally it can mean grains of powder like in blackpowder or a smokeless powder charge.
So a 55 grain 5.56x45 bullet will go faster than a much heavier 147 grain 7.62x39.
Depending on the shape and desired effect of the projectile means much more than just weights and velocities when it comes to damage. But I'm not going to sit here and tell you that 5.56 is more lethal than 7.62x51 nato or something.
>>
>>35069654
Not that anon, but seriously you should goggle and learn how to use Wikipedia.
>>
>>35069654
It all depends on purpose. Heavy bullet equals more force when it connects with object. Lighter bullet has more velocity.

Unrelated example, long range precision shooting with 308. For up to 400yds 150gr is prefered, for up to 700yds 168gr, for 1000yds 175gr.
>>
>>35069604

1 grain=~1/7000 of a pound

A heavier bullet needs more powder to get going, and there's some formula you can do that determines the energy at the muzzle and basically a 115 grain bullet is less powerful as a 124 grain bullet because it's less heavy.

A bullet is stabilized by the rifling making contact with the bullet, the longer the bullet is, the more accurate it is, and you can't make a bullet wider so you make it longer and when you make it longer you add weight. It just so happens that a 115-147 grain 9mm works well in most 9mm barrels and 55-62 grain works well in most 5.56,/.223 barrels.
>>
>>35069654
>I thought it correlated with the amount of gunpowder somehow.

The amount of gunpowder is also measured in grains. Grains is like kilograms, it's just a unit of measurement, it doesn't tell you anything about what you've measured. You could measure your own mass in grains.

> Is less or more bullet weight in the same caliber ideal?

Depends on what you're trying to do, and what may come in the way. For penetration into people though want momentum (for equal sized holes without any secondary effects to muddy the waters penetration depth scales pretty linearly with the momentum), and you'll get more momentum out of the energy available in the powder with slow&heavy bullet compared to a fast and light one.
>>
>>35069677
I know how to but I just like making threads, plus wikipedia didn't explain it as well
>>
>>35069604

One grain is 1/7000 of a pound.

A, for instance, 150 grain bullet is not "more powerful" than a 100 grain. It is heavier. Out of a similar cartridge generally a heavier round will have a slower muzzle velocity.

Kinetic energy is 1/2m*v^2. So a faster lighter round will carry more energy generally. However a lighter bullet will be affected by air much more and generally will not pack as much "punch" at longer distances due to losing velocity. However, that heavier round will still be heavier, this retaining longer range effectivness.

It is all about the different cartridges and what you want them to do. Comparing a heavy 9mm to a light .223 is dumb, as they are vastly different rounds and the .223 has such an energy advantage due to the longer case that it doesn't matter if the 9mm is much heavier or whatever, the rounds are very different.

So grains is just weight. Unless you are referring to black powder weapons which you literally pour grains of black powder.
>>
>>35069706
>>35069746
So by reading these two posts I'm gathering that heavier bullet is better for further ranges as well as penetration (and therefore self defense). What the hell is a lighter bullet useful for then, is it cheaper?
>>
>>35069642
Fag
>>
>>35069820
higher velocity and hydrostatic shock
or explosive expansion like for varmints depending upon bullet design

less recoil

flatter trajectory
>>
>>35069820

Kinetic energy is 1/2m*v^2

Mass increases energy linerarly, speed increases it exponentially. This is why rifle rounds fuck shit up, they are moving damn fast. A lighter round in the same cartridge will be moving faster, thus more muzzle velocity, more energy, more dead.
>>
>>35069820
higher velocity which can also mean better range depending on the aero of the boolit

basically, a flatter trajectory that is travelled along faster, but it will lose accuracy at range, versus a more predictable trajectory but overall slower bullet

also >>35069850 it can be more economic in a sense to have a faster smaller bullet than a heavier one if all you care about is muzzle energy

though "in real life" many studies find a bullet is a bullet so in general armies and police etc. prefer smaller, lighter rounds just because you can carry more of them and a .223 to the dome isn't going to make you any less dead than a .50, and you can carry more .223 than you can .50
>>
>>35069677
Wow because this is so much shitter a thread than yet another anime zone and this is such an awful uncouth discussion compared to meme camo and (((morale patches)))
>>
>>35069642
Fag
>>
There is also the amount of powder (grains) that you use in reloading too.....
>>
>>35069642
>people who believe in the concept of "lurking"

whats the worst that happens, you get anonymously made fun of online?
>>
>>35070851
Your types are the reason 4chan went to shit
>>
>>35070851
"Lurking" is a single word used to condense the concept of "shutting the fuck up until you have half a clue what you are talking about because until you do you contribute nothing of value to the board".

I could tell every idiot like OP to shut the fuck up until he has half a clue what he is talking about because until he does he contributes nothing of value to the board, but my incipient carpal tunnel biases me in favor of just telling him to "lurk more".
>>
>>35069654
A 9mm fires a heavier bullet of greater diameter than a .223, however at roughly 1/3rd the velocity,
>>
>>35071007
Kek
>>
>>35069919
>being this defensive over being an incompetent user of the internet
>>
>>35069713
>some equation

You mean F=MA?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.