[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is carrying a box cutter really that weird compared to a pocket

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: Nebo box cutters.jpg (81KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Nebo box cutters.jpg
81KB, 600x600px
Is carrying a box cutter really that weird compared to a pocket knife? I own some knives, but they get dull and sometimes I just don't want to mess with sharpening them. A box cutter can do the same thing as a knife, and you can just replace the blade on them when they dull. Also in my experience a box cutter has a sharper edge on the blade than a knife does, aside from being given weird looks I don't see how a knife out classes a box cutter. The only thing a knife has is aesthetics going for it, I mean if you want to carry around a "cool" looking knife to get attention, that's fine I suppose.

Hell, a multi-tool probably is better than a pocket knife.
>>
I carry a leatherman
>>
>>35063151
If you're planning on actually using it to cut shit, that's what you want. Get heavy duty blades though.
>>
>>35063184
>If you're planning on actually using it to cut shit

Then why do people carry pocket knives if not to cut shit? You're telling me people carry around pocket knives and never use them? Or is the security of having a weapon on you? I mean by definition a box cutter could be a weapon.
>>
>>35063201
really depends on what shit you intend to cut. for example the thing i use my pocket knife most for is cutting fruit. cutting fruit with a boxcutter would suck. if all you intend to cut is cardboard and occasionally other stuff a boxcutter would be fine
>>
>>35063201
I always carry one unless I'm innawoods where it probably makes less sense. But else its just convenient because the only use for a knife unless I'm cooking is to open well, packages.
>>
>>35063201
They either use it to cut only the pussiest of materials or autistically flip it when bored.
If you're actually doing some work, you use a stanley knife.
>>
>>35063294
come to think of it nowadays it's p much an urban survival tool. If we compare it with fruit disassembly for example, I suppose back then you had to rip them off the trees and then tear them apart with your bear hands. Nowadays they come in those plastic packages and some of those are just ridiculously sturdy so a box cutter helps. Or a can opener for those special kinds.
>>
box cutters are good for low durability work. if you happen to carry a bunch of replacement blades with you that's not much of an issue but realistically no one does that. a knife is meant to be a long term tool but for your particular needs (non-maintenance) a box cutter sounds better where you can just chuck away a dull blade and not have to worry about sharpening it.
>>
>>35063417
>long term tool

Not sure how it's long term when the blade of my knife went dull within a month, if not less than that. I don't even remember cutting that much with it, guess the sharpness depends on how often you use it.

>>35063355
>They either use it to cut only the pussiest of materials or autistically flip it when bored.

I'd agree with this for the most part, a lot of people I've known just carried a knife to show it off and it made them feel more secure about themselves. I never saw them really use it, and they'd whip it out to impress people for some reason. Makes me feel like that's the only reason weeaboos and edgelords carry them around.
>>
>>35063417
Find me e.g. an electrician who uses a non-replaceable blade. They're for occasional use and for having, not for work.
>>
>>35063452
long term in that you keep it, not toss it. give it a quick strop and it'll be cutting sharp again as long as you haven't totally fucked up the edge. most of the time you don't actually have to sharpen a blade by removing material from it.

>>35063475
since i don't know any electricians i can't help there
>>
>>35063493
>Not toss it

Who tosses a box cutter? You can buy a ULINE for about $45-$50, I wouldn't toss one of those. Also a Nebo is just as heavy duty, you wouldn't toss one out, they can last for years and years. The only box cutters I can see being tossed are cheap plastic ones that you can get for a few dollars. If you buy a heavy duty one they'll last for a long time.
>>
>>35063522
the blade being the part that is tossed. the act of replacing the blade is the same as sharpening/stropping a knife. you're bringing your tool which has lost its cutting ability back into a working condition.

it's like if you put new batteries into your remote control to get it working after the old ones run out of juice.
>>
>>35063551
I see, well in that case I would think a box cutter blade holds an edge longer, though I could be wrong. There are so many knives, some probably hold an edge longer, but it might also depend how often you use it.
>>
>>35063151
You seem to have a very narrow view of the world. Not everyone works at a department store in suburbia. Knives do a myriad of jobs better than a boxcutter.

Plenty of people carry boxcutters for work, so it's not an autistic thing to do. If you're cutting small weak shit (paper, cardboard, thin rope, plastic packaging) all day then a boxcutter is better because its flat blade and smaller cross sectional area cuts faster and cleaner. If you actually plan on cutting anything tougher, then a pocket knife is a much better tool.

A box cutter cuts, and that's all it does. It's not versatile. The blades are brittle and break easily but sharp as all hell when new. But, it's useless if you need to carve dense wood, punch through materials, or pry anything.

I carry a $15 POS folding knife I bought from Home Depot. Why? Because I use it as a blade, pry bar, awl, chisel, pruner, box cutter, etc. The steel is fairly soft so I can put a usuable edge on it with a $5 V-sharpener in less than 10 seconds. I don't feel bad abusing it. When the clip gets caught on brush and I lose the knife in the middle of the woods, then I just buy another one from Home Depot on my way home and don't cry over it.

Just because you don't have a use for a tool does not mean it's useless.
>>
>>35063522
>$50 utility knife
fuuuuuck that anon
https://www.amazon.com/a-knife/dp/B000G7RRQM
You want something like that. Don't know the brand, but extra-blades-in-the-handle types are a standard design.
>>
>>35063584
it depends on various things. what you're cutting, how often you are cutting it, and what the blade steel is are the main ones. a cheapo chinese steel like 8crwhateverthefuck that is used in cheapo kershaws will dull a lot faster than something like S90V. said cheapo steel will also sharpen quickly because of its lack of wear resistance. the s90v will hold edge longer but also take longer to resharpen from being completely dull so it's one you will want to maintain from time to time so it never reaches that point

knife maintenance is very important. a sharp kitchen knife makes things easier and requires less pressure (sharp knives can glide through meat and whatnot quickly and easily). mfw i went to my parents and tried using their dull knives and holy shit it was just tearing things apart, not slicing them
>>
>>35063611
But realistically a lot of people who carry pocket knives don't need them, I say this because most people I knew only cut paper, cardboard, plastic, etc. A box cutter suffices for that, I just don't think they want to carry around a box cutter because it isn't as "cool" and slick looking as a pocket knife. Granted a pocket knife will do what a box cutter does I suppose, but I seriously doubt people are cutting rope, wood, etc.

I feel like it boils down to aesthetics for a lot of people, not everyone, but most.
>>
>>35063611
I too carry a cheap folder for those purpouses. I find that people with knives worth north of $25.00 hardly ever have signs of use or wear on their knives.

I used to baby my carry knives but once I changed my view from pocket knife to tool I used the fuck out of my last knife. Cost me $3.00 and lasted over a year.
>>
>>35063475
Right here fag, I use it to strip 250-750 kcmil before we terminate.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.