[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /k/ my dad is looking for an air rifle that will kill squirrels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11

File: air-arms-txhcwaln.jpg (27KB, 827x266px) Image search: [Google]
air-arms-txhcwaln.jpg
27KB, 827x266px
hey /k/ my dad is looking for an air rifle that will kill squirrels
any recommendations?
>>
>>35061788
a simple break barrel will do the job, im more parcial towards break barrels in .22 cuz ammo is dam common and it can easily take rabbits if needed.

maybe a hatsan or a crosman
>>
>>35061817
>crossman

OP wants an air rifle not an experiment on how often you can return things to the store before they refuse your money.

crossman is garbage OP. buy a Gamo silent cat in .177
>>
File: IMG_0498.jpg (52KB, 1500x341px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0498.jpg
52KB, 1500x341px
>>35061788
Get a spring powered airgun but don't use Gamo, good triggers but they aren't really accurate and don't hit hard, get a Benjamin or Crossman in .22 caliber. Be careful of scopes though, factory ones aren't the best but normal scopes for .22lr rifles won't do well with the recoil.

I have used a Benjamin silver kodiak with sights made from paper clips and the thing will destroy squirrels and rabbits.
>>
op here, what's the cheapest thing he could get that isn't a piece of shit?
obviously you get what you pay for but he's a little stringent on funds
>>
>>35062002
get a hatsan i have one so take this with a grain of salt, but it is made by turks copying and using german steel and is good quality for the money, they are quite heavy tho.
>>
anything within 15 yards, just get a pumpmaster 760 and pump it up 7-8 times. Gets 'em good as anything else.
>>
Check pawn shops and CL. People dump their springers for PCPs pretty quickly.
>>
>>35062378
if ur pa is absolutely going to kill squirrels only then one of this could suffice with lead pellets
>>
Crossman 1377 American Classic with the shoulder stock. 600fps, and will drop a tree rat from 50 yards with 10 pumps
>>
File: IMG_0499.jpg (142KB, 3000x721px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0499.jpg
142KB, 3000x721px
>>35063141
That's gay af, pumping is annoying and alerts wise squirrels your gonna give them the whack, a 1000fps .177 pellet gun is a thousand times better, although a .22 caliber 950fps pellet gun is even better.
>>
>>35061788
I got this ruger branded umarex break barrel. It's heavy and has a slight kick. Costs about 120. I have put about 2500 pellets through it. It is still going strong. Picatinny Rail is nice bonus.
>>
>>35063198
I have a ruger airgun, but, I just can't hit shit with it (Not your model though). Am I just a horrible shot? I am using the iron sights, though, and not the scope it came with.

Should I just switch to the scope?
>>
What's /k/'s thoughts on Diana 350 N-TEC in .22? any good?
>>
>>35063188
Those high FPS numbers are for lightweight pellets that you should never use. JSB makes .177 pellets that are heavier than Crosman's "heavy" .22 pellets.
>>
File: 20170514_104843.jpg (1MB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
20170514_104843.jpg
1MB, 1152x2048px
>>35061788
cheapest I'd recommend is a walther terrus in .22

If you want a high-end springer, a Pro Sport, Tx200HC, LGV/LGU, HW97k are the top 5.

.22 if you will mainly hunt, but if it's just squirrels, then a .177 will be more than adequate - the only difference (around 10%) in energy delivered is in the 30-50m range, and a .177 has a flatter trajectory, while pellets like H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme put it on par with a .22 when it comes to taking rabbits (incidentally, .22 baracuda HE does require a 25J+ rifle, while a .177 will work under 16J/12 fpe).

Pic related: my AA Pro Sport .177 with a Hawke Sidewinde 10x42 30 SF IR 1/2MD
>>
>>35063895
This one has fiber optics. Perhaps that helps. I have never been much of a shot with flat black irons. I need dots. Especially slightly colorblind.

That said, the scope has helped. Sighting is a pain in the ass with break barrels. Make sure If you use a bench to sight a break barrel you take into account folding the the barrel downwards.
>>
Anyone have gripes with the Walther Parrus? Ive been looking at that one.
>>
File: images.jpg (4KB, 254x198px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 254x198px
i just bought this for 50 bucks... accurate and will put pellets through a coffee can.. fun af tbqh
>>
>>35064532
>hey /k/ my dad is looking for an air rifle

>posts a pistol
>>
File: images (1).jpg (13KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
13KB, 300x168px
>>35063895
ruger is shit for pellet guns
benjamin is legit and crosman has ok stuff for the price.
but if you can get your hands on a sheridan dont hesitate.
>>
File: download (5).jpg (13KB, 324x156px) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
13KB, 324x156px
>>35064558
think outside the box commie
>>
>>35064532

Fun little gun that is ok for small game hunting tho you likely will need a follow up shot while closing distance on the animal to do a follow up shot as pending the animal/size you may stun it.

' .177 for feathers. .22 for furs ' as they say.

Love the size. Good backpacking gun but you will be a bit of a pump'a'sourus. There are power mods out there. Some guy on youtube IIRC got like I think 850fps with a power mod but he had to pump up like I think 20-25 or 30times.

I own the Canadian model so ours are maxed at 500fps on all our guns before it is classed as a firearm needing a licence. Most pellet guns are sold with the labeling of '495fps'. I think the USA version of this is 600fps stock in .22
>>
>>35063141
In which? .177 or .22 cal @ 50yds (headshot)
>>
>>35063188
Yah but I like compact pellet guns for possible small game hunting. I need my guns to be backpackable during transportation in public as I don't have a car.

Breakbarrel/spring piston guns are great for the single charging of the gun and be ready to fire but the length is the turn off for me. Unless /k/ knows of some affordable spring pistons that are backpackable.

I would be the anon from Canada that commented on the Crosman 13xx/22xx series pistol with the powermods and some guy on youtube. Speaking of that youtube video here is the link to the mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P3yYmpG2WY - modded results accuracy test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gh1EGqqIRE - modding process and chrony
>>
>>35061863
I've never done much with an air rifle other than when I was a kid at a friends house, and that was probably a walmart piece of shit. Do legit air rifles have a lot of recoil? It seems insane to me that a .22 scope would get fucked up on an air rifle.
>>
>>35065809
Don't know what you mean by 'legit' air rifles. To be they are are 'legit' but the difference comes in power and quality of build/durability.

The recoil you speak of comes from spring piston AKA breakbarrel pellet guns. Some CO2 pellet pistols with a blowback will have some light recoil as well.

One ***VERY*** important note about scopes on spring piston rifles is you need to get a scope rated for spring piston guns. The reasoning is due to the nature of the bi-directional recoil spring pistons give off which will kill normal firearm/airgun scopes in a short time. I have heard many a stories of people with broken cross hairs thinking of saving money and using thier $300-500 or trophy hunting scope and breaking it.

Also another thing to note when shooting spring piston pellet guns is to have a loose grip when shooting it which helps with accuracy.
>>
Borrowing this thread.
Is the Crosman 1077 adequate for rabbits?
>>
Can someone explain why a riflescope good for an elephant gun would break on an airgun?

I can't wrap my pea size head around it.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>35065972
I just looked it up because I was in the same boat. It seems like with exploding rifles, the recoil is pretty even and it's energy is mostly delivered into you. With break barrel air rifles, there is little felt recoil, and that energy is directed mostly outwards from the spring. So it jars the optic much more than it feels.
>>
>>35065951
If in .177 baby rabbits with a headshot behind the ear for a clean kill at like less then 20 meters.

Any pelletgun can kill over time even if underpowered. But it would be a crazy amount of pellets shooting into the a large animal. Like death by hundreds of bee stings.

I would think you could kill an adult rabbit with multiple shots if you are at less then 3 meters with a headshot. First shot would stun then you close distance and point blank or contact shot 1-2 times.

Now if the 1077 was modded to .22 with more power and such then you could kill the rabbit further away.
>>
>>35065972

Read >>35065912

Note the bi-directional recoil. Traditional firearm scopes are designed for rearward recoil.
>>
File: 45.jpg (16KB, 468x546px) Image search: [Google]
45.jpg
16KB, 468x546px
>>35061788
This should do the trick: Pyramyd arms .50
>>
Benjamin Maximus in 22 caliber pump combo. Can be had for a little over 300 and the PCP is way better then break barrel springers. I do pest control and we have switched over to PCP completely. Consistent 800 FPS with heavy lead pellets for at least 35 shots before you need to pump. Mo recoil at all so you can use any type scope you want instead of the expensive springer scopes. Fixed barrel for much better accuracy
>>
Unrelated question:
I live in a draconian state, that turns all air guns into <10j toys.
How do I unfuck a pcpc rifle? Because a spring loader requires just a stronger spring, right?
>>
>>35066278
Better not then. I'm concerned enough when I use my .22 for rabbits
>>
File: 20170615_152142.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170615_152142.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>35064532
>coffee can
>accurate

no, mate, that ain't "accurate"

Accurate is hitting a 10mm target at 50m.
Accurate is putting 5 shots through a single 4.5mm hole at 10m. That's accurate.
>>
File: 20170615_144411.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170615_144411.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>35065972
>>35066031

it's because a spring piston air rifle recoils twice during the cycle - first, when the piston shoots forward, Newton's 3rd law of dynamics comes into play (just like with a powder burner).

Then, at the end of piston travel, the entire system is jerked immediately in the opposite direction.

On top of that, cheap springers also vibrate a lot, due to the torque of the spring as it uncoils, and if the piston guide isn't high end, there's additional vibration there.

A good spring piston rifle like a tx200, lgv/lgu, pro sport, or a high end weihrauch (especially tuned ones), combined with a 30mm tube, sitting on a one-piece mount (recoil dampening) with a fixed magnification should have absolutely no problems there.

Pic related - the best production springer on the market with a fixed mag 10x42 scope, and a 1-piece 30mm Sports Match mount.
>>
>>35066366

depends on the rifle. With something like a Walther LG200, going from a 7.5J olympic, to the 16J limit is as simple as installing a bigger shot chamber (while converting from PCA to PCP).

With others, it might be a question of messing with the regulator, or using a stronger striker spring.
>>
>>35064558
actually those 1377s do have an attachable stock. So it can be a pistol or a rifle. Nifty little gun.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.