[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So in shtf situation, like Harvey, what do you guys think ht

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

File: stealth armor.jpg (135KB, 963x666px) Image search: [Google]
stealth armor.jpg
135KB, 963x666px
So in shtf situation, like Harvey, what do you guys think https://www.safeguardclothing.com/15-bullet-proof-vests/coolmax-carriers/coolmax-iiia-bullet-stab/

My other option is build a plate carrier like every other mall ninja opperatard
>>
>>35060448
full plate armor
>>
There was not looting in Harvey tho
>>
>>35060472
lmao what
>>
>>35060448
It's a good choice, cheap, light, and concealable.

desu I think soft armor is a more practical choice than plate carriers for day-to-day style frst world SHTF.
>>
File: german vest.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
german vest.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
here are the plates i would like to get, what advice can you guys give me, I already have one of the old german flectarn vests

https://gun.deals/product/ar500-armor-10-x-12-level-iii-advanced-shooters-cut-body-armor-65
>>
>>35060493
AR500 is trash, ceramic plates can be had for only a few bucks more and you won't die from spalling when you get shot
>>
>>35060448
A life vest.

You're going to fucking drown.
>>
>>35060523
>you won't die from spalling when you get shot

good thing the plates are inside a vest built specifically to protect you from that
>>
>>35060568
Spalling will shoot right through the nylon, plus ceramics are lighter which is always a plus.
>>
>>35060472
Yes there was. Galveston wasn't even hit and the Marines that showed up for "relief efforts" were stationed on the seawall after dozens of strong arm robberies occurred. Per the manager, they even closed Walmart because of the coons running around.

>>35060448
Not needed. Would not want to be submerged with extra weight. I ended up leaving everything behind except my 1911(holstered), SR-15 and like 3 mags that I kept in a drybag.

I "evacuated" to Houston. Won't be making that mistake again. The Island ended up faring way better.
>>
>>35060584
>right through the nylon

will it shoot right through the 14-layer kevlar inserts in the chest, collar or shoulder pads?
>>
>>35060545
inflatable life jackets are neat, i used lots of these working in the off shore trade, didnt seem to hinder movement much but the auto inflate could be a pain in the ass
>>
>>35060584
>Spalling will shoot right through the nylon

[citation needed]
>>
>>35060616
Generally you wear hard plates on top of the kevlar so yes it'll shoot through. The collar piece may protect you, I was thinking just of a standard plate carrier. But still, I wouldn't risk it.
>>
>>35060639

you're allowed to admit you were fucking wrong, you know. you don't have to move goalposts or anything.
>>
>>35060655
I did admit I was wrong, the collar piece would likely protect your neck/face from spalling. I still would not risk it but that is my opinion. I just meant in a standard plate carrier with no extra collar guard that there is a serious risk of spalling shooting through when the plate is shot.
>>
File: Captur.png (1MB, 757x991px) Image search: [Google]
Captur.png
1MB, 757x991px
>>35060472
>leftists actually believe this
>also all Texans are nazis
>>
>>35060707
>>also all Texans are nazis
Literally sat through a sermon about how my pastor who went to Orange,Tx for relief efforts saw a guy with a flooded house with Nazi flags, no niggers/looters will be shot, and messages bragging about owning an "arsenal" spraypainted all over his house. Rest of the sermon was about how the KKK wasn't actually helping anyone in Houston (don't know don't give a fuck as they aren't a relief organization and I'm not a member).

They're fucking mentally ill liars.
>>
>>35060707
btw, thanks for posting that article. I had no clue how that batshit crazy "pastor" came up with his story. Now I know he's just regurgitating the news.
>>
>>35060655
Says the retard that wants AR500.
>>
File: 7126ea25db8b2dab53a26f4b08dbc839.jpg (407KB, 1124x1626px) Image search: [Google]
7126ea25db8b2dab53a26f4b08dbc839.jpg
407KB, 1124x1626px
>>35060455
i want a plate carrier and german fuleted armour
>>
>>35060905
Not that Anon, but.

AR500 was what I could afford for something that sits in my closet. Only coming out for alone time house sweeping funz.
>>
>>35060943
If you look around on eBay you can get some sweet deals on ceramics. I got some Level 4 Armor Designs plates for $120 for a pair, and a TAP Gamma plus for $36. The Gamma plus is fucking great because it's only like 2.9 pounds and it's III+. There's a UK based seller that has a lot of police/military surplus ceramics that are usually lvl III and in the $50 range per plate.
>>
>>35060943
>It was all I could afford
NIJ lvl 4 plates are $20 more. Also, if it just sits in your closet then you won't use it when you need it because you won't be used to the weight and just ditch it for a chest rig anyways. You have the disposable income for a gun, ammo, mags, sights, armor, carrier, pouches, and medical (you have an ifak and training, don't you?) But you don't have an extra $40 for a pair of good plates?
>>
File: LP200451_l.jpg (45KB, 385x499px) Image search: [Google]
LP200451_l.jpg
45KB, 385x499px
these would be good for arms
>>
>>35060998
>>35061008

I heard that ceramics can crack from drops and falls. Is this true? If so should I practice with the steel to save ceramic for bullet catching?
>>
>>35060448
I bought a British police surplus lvl II vest for like $50 including shipping. They're pretty damn cheap on ebay.
>>
>>35061177
Yes but it's not as fragile as all that. I threw uncle sams vest around quite a bit and it did fine. Don't throw it off a hill or building and you'll be fine.
>>
>>35061177
If you drop them from like 5ft on a corner outside of a vest they might crack. Then again a cracked plate will still stop bullets reliably.
>>
>>35060448
I have a safeguard vest that I wear on duty, I think it's called the ghost. Good vest, but doesn't conceal as well as you'd think. The small amount of overlap makes it look like I'm fat. It also starts smelling like cat pee really easily, but that's probably any vest made of nylon. Good thing is it's machine washable.

Haven't tested it yet, not sure how legit the company is. It's just one building somewhere in the UK. I'm switching vests soon so I guess I'll get to test the old one out. It would suck to find out I've been unprotected this whole time, especially considering wearing a vest raises your body temperature by a lot.
>>
>>35060584
AR500 plates are coated with truck bed liner to prevent spalling, retard. The only drawback with AR500 is the weight.
>>
>>35061236
>>35061177
You cannot necessarily see the cracks in a ceramic plate. You need to x-ray them in order to verify that there are no hairline cracks inside of the plate.
>>
>>35061346
It wouldn't matter at that point. The plate would still reliably stop a round.
>>
>>35061366
Says you. I wouldn't bet my life on it. I also seriously doubt the plate's ability to stop multiple hits if the plate has already been damaged.
>>
>>35061236
>and it did fine

Did you do an ultrasound scan or similar to check? Because a few microfractures you can't spot with the naked eye could make a huge difference when a bullet slams into it. Crack initiation is the big thing when it comes to breaking ceramics, not crack propagation.
>>
>>35061376
>>35061346

This kind of stuff keeps me worried. dealing with 4 extra pounds seems like a small trade.
>>
>>35060448
A plate carrier screams that you're armed and you want to be robbed. Wear a vest under a hoodie or rain jacket and carry your spare mags in a backpack.
>source: my family and I survived a war
>>
>>35060448
if flooding is a specific concern then weight should be a major one for you. Nothing worse than drowning because of your "life saving" gear.

That being said i believe that body armor is probably the best self defense investment for these SHTF behind a gun of any kind and it's value if frankly hard to overstate.

One of my primary concerns for SHTF is the relative prevalence of long arms as compared to most typical defensive situations. SImply put you are much more likely to be shot by a rifle or shotty in SHTF than you are normally, because normal criminals strongly prefer concealable weapons under normal circumstances.

I'd go with the highest level of ballistic performance that is reasonable for your specific situation.
>>
>>35061415
Well that weight makes a difference. When you're trying to move around with that on your body + a weapon + whatever you're carrying...it's fucking hard. All I'm saying is that there are pros and cons when it comes to the different kinds of armor available.
IMO your best bet is just a level III kevlar vest. I really don't think a plate is necessary since your average dindu looter probably isn't going to have anything bigger than a 9mm pistol.
>>
>>35061415
Say the same after a 12 mile walk in full kit. Ceramics are better at stopping rounds and are lighter for a few more dollars. Being a little careful with your gear in exchange for your life is worth it.
>>
>>35061008
link to uk seller please
>>
>>35061444
>>35061450

Then I should taking some hikes and figure this shit out.
>>
>>35061478
You should be stressing medicine and clean water more than guns and ammo.
>>
>>35061484
my plate carrier is for larp fun. In Shtf, I live in the midwest. I am a 5 minute car ride from the middle of nowhere. I have a bunch of camping gear, mre, bottled water and life straw.

Medicine. Is there a guide?
>>
>>35061555
If you've got the money, check out a good local community college. Take a few nurse or emt classes.

If you're broke or lazy, googling basic medicine will help a lot.
>>
File: Type-I-pfd.png (212KB, 700x863px) Image search: [Google]
Type-I-pfd.png
212KB, 700x863px
>>35060448
In a situation like Harvey you need a different kind of vest to survive.
>>
>>35061555
Your isolation is irrelevant, expect many people to have the same idea as you. For medicine stock up on antibiotics, Tylenol, ibuprofen, anti diarrheal is super important like I can't stress that enough, aspirin, bacitracin, etc. I don't have a guide but I make sure I always have these typical types of medicines. Fighting infection fever and diarrhea are key because they will be your most common issues but googling a guide would never be a bad idea to get some insight into what people are bringing with them. We survived weeks in a crazy war without any arms.
>>
>>35061620
My post cut off. I mean to continue. Something like diarrhea can kill you in days so make sure you're aware of things like this. Another great idea is to learn your local plants so you know what is medicinal and what has nutritional value.
>>
>tfw everyone thinks they will be running around in their plate carrier and full harness with ballistic under armor and a custom cod piece to top it all off

I got shot in my vest five years ago. Broke two rigs, bruised a lung, and fucked up my T5 and T6 vertebrae. Passed out not more then 5 seconds after being shot. It isn't fun and it wont save your life unless you have emergence response a few minutes away. Getting shot is getting shot. Hell sometimes a through and through is even better than a vest catching a round because you might be able to run away and not pass out from the force of it.

Get yourself a stab proof vest if anything. It is by far the most logical choice if you don't plan to run around in a full kit like a mall ninja with a target on your back.
>>
If I remember correctly most soft body armor is less effective if it's soaked in water
>>
>>35061667
Was this a pistol or rifle that shot you? There has been a huge increase in my town of people being shot by 9mm's after a manufacturing plant brought in a bunch of Mexicans and Somalian refugees. I would like to get all the info on this I could. Being shot by a pistol has become a serious threat in my area now.
>>
>>35061464
https://www.ebay.com/sch/kit-ka-boodle/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

They've got a bit of everything armor related
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.