[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The U.S. Army’s rapid reaction force in Europe is unde

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

File: download (7).jpg (272KB, 1160x629px) Image search: [Google]
download (7).jpg
272KB, 1160x629px
>The U.S. Army’s rapid reaction force in Europe is under-equipped, undermanned and inadequately organized to confront military aggression from Russia or its high-tech proxies, according to an internal study that some who have read it view as a wake-up call as the Trump administration seeks to deter an emboldened Vladimir Putin.

>The Italy-based 173rd Airborne Brigade lacks “essential capabilities needed to accomplish its mission effectively and with decisive speed,” according to the analysis by the brigade, a copy of which was obtained by POLITICO.

>But the assessment details a series of “capability gaps” the unit has identified during recent training with Ukrainian troops with experience battling Russian-backed separatists, who have used cheap drones and electronic warfare tools to pinpoint targets for artillery barrages and devastated government armored vehicles with state-of-the-art Russian antitank missiles.

>Some of the shortfalls, like the brigade’s lack of air defense and electronic warfare units and over-reliance on satellite communications and GPS navigation systems, are the direct results of the Army's years of fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, where the enemy has no air power or other high-end equipment and technology.

>“The lessons we learned from our Ukrainian partners were substantial. It was a real eye-opener on the absolute need to look at ourselves critically,” Col. Gregory Anderson, who commissioned the report earlier this year during his stint as the brigade’s commander, told POLITICO after it had obtained a copy of the report. “We felt compelled to write about our experiences and pass on what we saw and learned.”

>The report has so far been distributed only through internal channels to the Army staff and other military headquarters.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/02/army-study-173rd-airborne-brigade-europe-russia-242273

Thanks very much Donald Rumsfeld.
>>
Its understandable really. Its of course debatable whether the entire worlds combined militarys could halt concerted Russian aggression, but to expect it of a unit (airborne no less, an utterly irrelevant form of insertion, inb4 "muh legs") who has spent too long being influenced by lazy incompetent Italians is totally unrealistic.
>>
>>35059315
we need them only for them to get spectacularly btfo to win over the american public for the war(think pearl harbor 2.0)
>>
How is Russia capable of maintaining these capabilities with such a small defense budget? Is the US's DoD so inefficient that being 4 times as big is effectively canceled out?
>>
>>35059368
I don't think it's a stretch to say the Army is geared towards fighting colonial brushfires, when that was the deliberate strategy of the Bush administration.

I mean when was the last time we had extensive wargames in Europe or practiced REFORGER?
>>
>send our premier EW, communications, and radar equipment to a proxy war so Russia can capture and reverse engineer it
Yeah no, nice try kremlin bot
>>
>>35059494
Err, what?
>>
>>35059368
The article is talking about our rapid response force specifically, which is pretty much by definition airborne. 3rd ID is in Germany
>>
>>35059315
The NATO forces stationed in Eastern Europe now is a "tripwire" force, even if they fixed their capability gaps they're still kind of fucked until back up arrives.
>>
>>35059463
This. We spend more than the next, what 14 nations combined and we still have capability gaps? Or are we married to the big money Military Industrial Complex solution that anything that doesn't cost $500 million and take a decade to reach the soldier isn't an option?
>>
>>35059463
>>35059683
what is purchasing power parity?
>>
>>35059315
>from Russia or its high-tech proxies
What is this babble
>>
>>35059315
>mil-industrial complex shill begs for more money

shocking
>>
>>35060211
It's politico, what did you expect. Leftist news organizations hype up Russia much more than they deserve. I know Putin must love when the left talks about how great and mighty his country is while ignoring everything wrong with it.
>>
>>35059463
Their capabilities aren't that impressive, especially when it comes to aircraft. They have tons of ex-Soviet gear but anything new is manufactured in extremely limited quantities and will never see the light of day for most Russian units. And the military itself is in a bad state, with piss poor morale and awful living conditions.
>>
>>35059315
>That pic
>Camo'd BCG

Now that's some fucking moto.
>>
I would kill babies if russia gave me the order
>>
File: uiuiuiuiu.webm (840KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
uiuiuiuiu.webm
840KB, 1280x720px
>>35059315
we won't be fighting Russia, so why would we need to equip a reaction force in the region?
>>
That unit has always been garbage, and as a matter of fact, the entire European army is garbage. They're over there to pretty much vacation in Europe, not to be ready to fight. The command just checks enough blocks to say they're "ready" when they're not, and their standards are complete shit.

What's funny is that they're still better than the Euro militaries that are barely national gaurd-tier by comparison.
>>
>>35060529
> 173rd
> Garbage
Everyone I know that's been with them says it's a lot more high speed than an average line unit
Was I being lied to?
>>
>>35060211
Compared to goatfuckers, certainly.
>>
>>35060650
>Was I being lied to?

Absolutely.
>>
>>35060458
Globalists still want their US vs Russia war.
>>
>>35059683
Did you even stop to think about how the US budget is spent and on what? The average grunt, assuming the check the right box's and don't piss everything away has a lot more time and money dumped into them than the average conscript that doesn't get to suck up all the benefits and obscene amount of gear.
>>
>>35060458
The basis of the article is hilarious, since it should be Europe's job to play QRF in the first place
>>
>>35059315
>Obama cuts military spending over 8 years and downsizes, reducing effectiveness across the board
>Trump in office for 8 months and inherits this mess
>This is a wake up call for Trump!
>Politico
>>35059463
No, the Russia's are practically 3rd world with token numbers of modern equipment. They're just a boogy man for the DoD to use to scare congress for more money.
>>
>>35060813
Well yes, he's the President now and it should be a wake up call if he wants to respond to it.
>>
The Russian army would be paralyzed by the total loss of control of the air by the time they made it into Poland and their economy would collapse after ten weeks of war. By the time additional forces arrived in Europe whoever was running Russia would be dead and the new government would be waiting to talk peace settlement.
>>
>>35059463
Russia doesn't have bases all over the world that require a lot of resources to maintain, it has a presence in Eastern Europe and thats it.
>>
I wouldn't be worried about Russia their military is a shadow of it's former self and while they could make a (small) push into Europe if they wanted to they could never hold territory or resist a coordinated counterattack.
>>
>>35059315

>fucking U.S. government worried about keeping Russians out of eastern Europe
>doesn't give a shit about MILLIONS of fucking Mexicians and south Americans invading the U.S.A.

The federal government is an enemy of the people of the U.S.A. and should be held accountable for treason.

The U.S. military should be worried about our own fucking borders.
>>
>>35061167
From deadly Canadian Mounties?
>>
>>35061456
Canada is just as bad.
>>
In the event of some shit going down, Ranger battalions mixed with mech infantry would be sent over anyway.
>>
>>35060753
They do, considering they're already in Europe. it's easier to send a French armored division east then it is an American one that has to cross an ocean.
>>
>>35060529
>the entire European army is garbage
Mind going into detail of why you think that?

>What's funny is that they're still better than the Euro militaries that are barely national gaurd-tier by comparison.
Would you mind explaining this too?
>>
>>35060813
>>Obama cuts military spending over 8 years and downsizes, reducing effectiveness across the board
Isn't that what happen after every war though, downsizing, along with implementing the lessons learned and then building up from there?
>>
>>35061589
POOR LITTLE AMERICAN BOY EH! GONNA GO TO YOUR HOME AND FILL YOUR WIFE WITH MY MAPLE SYRUP EH YOU HOSER!
>>
>>35060987
This, all that funding goes to a single front, and maybe a second to watch the East. They focus their power while America needs to be literally everywhere. Also does not help all our shit is priced through the fucking roof because corporations.
>>
Most if not all of the weapon system programs that would be able to blunt a full Russian invasion of eastern europe were cancelled under Clinton, Bush, and Obama. Instead of getting rapid Abrams upgrades, new self propelled artillery (XM2001 Crusader), Losat Missiles, and other things, they were all fucking cancelled.
>>
>>35063021
The Euro army doesn't have the live fire maneuver facilities to support decent year round training at their bases, so the entire theater has to rotate through 2 training areas in Germany to do any kind of quasi-decent live fire training. This means they sit around in garrison with their thumbs up their asses for most of the year, which puts them damn near on par with their Euro military partners.

Not only that, but the Euro nations don't want us there to train for war, they just want us there to put dollars into their economy and provide local nationals with jobs on base, so they make it hard as fuck to do any kind of training outside of the little bases the U.S. lives on. Doing anything "off post" in Europe is a bureaucratic and logistics nightmare, including just moving from point A to point B, so most units really don't go out of their way to train outside of the usual "check the block" mandatory shit their senior leaders come up with for them. This means their proficiency is shit-tier compared to most decent units.

The Euro nations have it about the same, but they get even fewer resources to train with when they DO train then their U.S. counterparts.
>>
File: .,...,.jpg (13KB, 236x304px) Image search: [Google]
.,...,.jpg
13KB, 236x304px
>>35063357
>this butthurt Ameriboo
>>
>>35063424
Your wife was butthurt after my moose mounted her eh.
>>
File: ......jpg (33KB, 500x564px) Image search: [Google]
......jpg
33KB, 500x564px
>>35063439
>this Ameriboo is still mad
>>
>>35063413
Poland, Romania, and Hungary are begging for the U.S. and U.K. to train on their soil. Using the former Soviet bases.
>>
>>35063413
>The Euro army doesn't have the live fire maneuver facilities to support decent year round training at their bases, so the entire theater has to rotate through 2 training areas in Germany to do any kind of quasi-decent live fire training.
Yes, they do, Salisbury plain in the UK, a bunch of ranges in germany, some in Norway near Bodo and a shiton in both romania and Bulgaria (IIRC the ones in Eastern Europe are some of the biggest on the continent, and the weather is nice enough to have stuff going year round.

>Not only that, but the Euro nations don't want us there to train for war, they just want us there to put dollars into their economy and provide local nationals with jobs on base, so they make it hard as fuck to do any kind of training outside of the little bases the U.S. lives on. Doing anything "off post" in Europe is a bureaucratic and logistics nightmare, including just moving from point A to point B
How is that any different than the US? It's difficult to move militaries in peacetime anywhere.

>so most units really don't go out of their way to train outside of the usual "check the block" mandatory shit their senior leaders come up with for them. This means their proficiency is shit-tier compared to most decent units.
Could you expand on this? I'm not sure what you mean check the box training, from what people say there is LESS BS that European units have to go through, as their budgets are smaller and given the sizes of their armies they need to be proficient at whatever the operational plan their forces fit into in the overall picture. Take Norway and Denmark for example, way less BS while equipping all of their troops with top of the line equipment that is normally reserved for SOCOM units here in the US. Not to mention the much less need for EO, SHARP and other mindless task as their selection and training process is significantly more fleshed out than in the US (due to smaller budgets).
>>
Hey /b/. 11b here that was stationed in Germany for three years (2014 - 2017) and did several rotations to the Baltic countries training with NATO allies for interoperability.

I'm a junior NCO so you wont get a General's or overly educated opinion on the matter but you can have mine. Ask me anything.
>>
>>35063716
Oh shit I'm retarded this is /k/. I'm ready for the roasts
>>
>>35063413
adding to >>35063676
You realize that militaries train year round right? Like, they travel to the Baltics/Med/European Forests to specifically train in certain conditions.
>>
>>35063731
173rd or 2CR?
>>
>>35063748
3/2 CR
>>
>americans literally lost 3 trillion dollars from the budget and no one knows (((((where))))) it is now.
>>
>>35063661
>begging for the U.S. and U.K. to train on their soil.

Because they want that money. Just like the other Eurofags.

>>35063676
>Yes, they do, Salisbury blah blah blah

In the states, we can walk for a few hours from our barracks and do any kind of maneuver live fire we need to, because most of our combat units are stationed at places that allow them to train without the need to drive half way across the state, or continent, to do so.

>I'm not sure what you mean by check the box training

Then I'm not wasting any more time with you, as you are obviously clueless.
>>
>>35063735
>You realize that militaries train year round right?

You realize that budgets dictate the amount of "training" any military can do, and that live-fire maneuver training is the only training worth a fuck to develop actual combat proficiency, right?

Both of which Euro militaries are deficient in, more so than the U.S. Euro army dudes.
>>
>>35063873
>Because they want that money. Just like the other Eurofags.
But they don't get any money. NATO doesn't have a regulatory body overseeing it, it's completely voluntary. They get what they put in, which for them means they have to spend wisely and frugally.

>In the states, we can walk for a few hours from our barracks and do any kind of maneuver live fire we need to, because most of our combat units are stationed at places that allow them to train without the need to drive half way across the state, or continent, to do so.
No, they in the middle of nowhere because it's cheap, NOT because of geographic location to anything in particular.

Also, it's kinda not true, if you want to train full atop in the US you go to the NTC or Lejeune, both are on opposite sides of the nation, which means even if you go to the closest one, that's still significantly farther than ones in Europe.

>Then I'm not wasting any more time with you, as you are obviously clueless.
So you either can't articulate your thoughts or are not willing to actually put you opinion out there for fear of looking dumb if people criticize it then?
>>
>>35063920
>Live fires are the only training worth a fuck

Okay dude
>>
>>35063925
He's right and he's wrong. Yeah JRTC and NTC are the culminating events for CONUS soldiers but in Europe we have Hohenfels. Also the only place I've heard anyone having an issue conducting live fires at is Italy. So they come to Germany which is annoying but doesn't prevent anything.
>>
>>35063920
Yes, budgets do dictate how much training gets done, which means Euro militaries spend much wiser when it comes to proficiency in their tasks. There is significantly less BS (SHARP, EO, SSD1) that Euro militaries need to do, meaning more money is spent on training and selection. There's a reason the retention rates in Euro militaries are a bit higher than those in the US (this part is anecdotal on my part to be fair).
>and that live-fire maneuver training is the only training worth a fuck to develop actual combat proficiency, right?
They do those too, they have massive bases are run smaller exercises all year round.
>>
>>35063946
Oh...I'm sorry. You're right. Blanks and MILES bullshit are effective in teaching leaders how to concentrate and distribute fires on target as needed, and they're just as dangerous to troops should a leader fail to properly shift fires, especially at night. All that shit weighs the same as live rounds too, anyways, so you're right, and I'm wrong. Who needs to train and practice incorporating live CAS and IDF into their maneuver plans before they actually get deployed to combat, right? Fuck those SDZ's, and worrying about back blast from a Carl-G, AT-4, or Law is for pussies...
>>
>>35063962
>JRTC and NTC are

Largely a waste of time for company level troops and below.
>>
>>35064009
They do those things too you know. You act like European militaries are worthless.
>>
>>35064024
And you act like you actually know anything about training, or have actually worked with Germans, Brits, French, and Italians in training and combat.
>>
>>35064009
See I think that's been your problem from experience. If you don't take the Walk and Crawl as seriously as the Run you're wrong. And yes I hate Blanks and MILES just as much and no I don't make my solider yell bang bang to notionally shoot the enemy. I do however take our drills that we do in the basketball court just as seriously as the ones we do live.

>>35064019
Agreed.

>>35064024
You'd be surprised how much they rely on US training to be proficient and in my opinion they don't take their jobs as seriously.
>>
>>35064034
Well for one, the French fought the same kind of war in Mali that we fought in AFG and came out with a decisive victory within 3 years, so they have to be doing something right.

Would you care to continue on and embarrass yourself further?

You've been shown by multiple poster that you're wrong when it comes to Europeans training in Europe.
>>
File: 1496942981977.jpg (54KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1496942981977.jpg
54KB, 550x550px
>>35059315
>confront military aggression
>Rusha this rusha that
>muh vatniks are still relevant I'm telling u guize
>muh empayur of ebil
>muh leaks
>muh Ukrein
>muh zapad2017 dey gon invade fo'sho (says increasingly nervous military-industrial complex shill for the 1453rd time this microsecond)
Does this cold war LARP have an end? Why do burgers hate not having an enemy so much? Are american liberals actually non-ironically mentally challenged? Russia is in a state of complete economic, diplomatic and military implosion and Putler is in no state to do anything. It's basically an overglorified regional power with no soft power projection whatsoever.
>>
>>35059463
WE
ARE
IN
THE
MIDDLE
EAST
YOU
STUPID
TRUMP VOTING
LATINO HATING

TRUMPY DUMPY

2 SCOOPER
>>
File: 8I51ct64IEQ.jpg (613KB, 2560x1714px) Image search: [Google]
8I51ct64IEQ.jpg
613KB, 2560x1714px
>>35064234
>>35059398
>>35059463
>>35059368
>>35059494
>>35059466
>>35059512
>>35059600
>>35060211
>>35060201
>>35059683
>>35059613
Let's be honest, Russia will obliterate NATO on land, USA's only hope are aircrafts and ships which can easily be destroyed by superior Russian AA and AShMs
USA is over
>>
>>35059315
>Politico
might as well be published by Northrop Grumman and Raytheon.
>>
>>35064321
Vatnik detected
>>
>>35064352
t.double digit IQ shartmerican
>>
>>35064357
Not a burger, but whatever.
>>
>>35059315
Does it matter though? Russia can't invade NATO/EU without risking nuclear war. Even if that wasn't the case, an invasion would destroy Russia's economy because so much of it revolves around selling petroleum and gas to Western Europe. I figure this is probably why Putin didn't just occupy all of Ukraine and had to be content with small slices. Pushing too far would have destroyed the energy trade with the West and eviscerated Russia's economy.
>>
>>35064357
>>35064321
Care to back that up?
>>
>>35059463
That's because it's all a big business, it's really not about efficiency. It's called the Military Industrial Complex.
>>
>>35063925
>But they don't get any money.
What? The US employs tons of them, pays rent for the facilities, American troops spend their wages their, etc

It's a big lucrative business, all these foreign countries lobby to have bases built

>>35063920
>You realize that budgets dictate the amount of "training" any military can do
What sort of nonsense is this
It doesn't cost any extra money to go have people you are paying salaries to do something practical rather than raking the lawn
>>
>>35064321
yeah, maybe in the fucking 70s vatnik. a modern war would end with russia getting spectacularly owned in land, sea, and air by the united states.
>>
>>35065488
Entire thread shitting on Russia, one positive think stated. VATNIK DETECTED VATNIK OH SHIT GUYS HES NOT SUPER BIASE AND NOT PULLING BS OUT OF HIS ASS HES A VATNIK

I AINT MAD MUH NIGGAH
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.