[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you wear eye protection? Have they ever saved your ass?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 11

File: real_avid_shooter_shield_b.jpg (37KB, 464x280px) Image search: [Google]
real_avid_shooter_shield_b.jpg
37KB, 464x280px
Do you wear eye protection? Have they ever saved your ass?

I don't, unless I'm on a cuck range with ranger ricks enforcing rules.

I don't wear eyepro because the loss in acuity isn't worth the miniscule chance of eye damage.
>>
File: IMG_2097.jpg (81KB, 1156x697px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2097.jpg
81KB, 1156x697px
>>35033797
Good for you. Seems like you've gotten it all figured out. It's not like pistols ever blow up or anything.
>>
>>35033797
I rarely even use earpro

t. Half deaf in Jacksonville
>>
>>35033797
I try to wear eye pro but often forgo it in favor of proper ear protection.
Also recently found out that there is a ballistic safety rating that is higher than the standard Z87 that most safety glasses are.
Looking at getting a set of those.
>>
>>35033797
Yes. I also wouldn't give a shit enough to police you on wearing it if you insist on going without. It's your eyes, not mine. But thinking it's tough to not wear basic protection reminds me of the dudes on deployment who refused to wear ear protection because machismo- now those same dudes complain regularly on facebook about how "the Army ruined muh hearing".
>>
>>35033857
Just go to home depot with like 4 dollars

>>35033825
>implying I buy q glocks
>>
I've been hit in the face by pieces of frag from shooting mild steel too close with pistols (one actually drew blood), and also with shavings from an old revolver that had shaky timing. I always have eye-pro on when shooting for that reason, even if it's just sunglasses.
>>
Super important for pistol shooting. I've been hit with shrapnel a ton.
Never had an issue with rifles though. I shot rifles all through childhood with no eyepro.

Honestly though, sunglasses work.
>>
>>35033869
I have plenty of safety glasses. They have saved my eyes more times that I can count in my various jobs. I'm talking about ballistic glasses. As in miliatry rated.
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/eye-protection-shooting-glasses-review/
>>
>>35033797
>has wearing hearing protection ever saved your ass
no, but it saved me from permanent hearing loss and brain damage many thousands of times over (you fucking retard)

>eye pro
yes my eyepro has stopped bullet fragments and target material from destroying my eyeballs more than a few times. shoot enough and you realize wierd shit happens when you shoot. some ranges can be pretty safe when yer just shooting paper but. you never know. bullets do strange things
>>
>>35033797
I have shitty vision so I always wear glasses. Never been hit with anything serious other than a little spalding from shooting steel with pistols a little too close
>>
>>35033922
>milspec
You mean "made by the lowest bidder"
>>
>>35033937
Look fucktard, read the damn article and make your own decisions about it.
>>
>>35033797
Do you wear ear protection? Have they ever saved your ass?
I don't, unless I'm on a cuck range with ranger ricks enforcing rules.
I don't wear earpro because the loss in acuity isn't worth the miniscule chance of ear damage.

Same thing. Shit happens and your eyes are more important than ears as a human. The amount of random shit that's hit my glasses Inna shop or fucking around is kinda silly and they're so cheap for good clear ones, there's no real reason not to have them. Once I get a few scratches on mine from random shit I throw them in my desk and buy another pair for like 5 bucks.

>>35033937
cheapest item that does the job
ftfy
>>
>>35033922
ANSI87 or 87+ is more than sufficient. No need go full military moto and limit yourself to APEL and shit, because while the lenses might be good, the frames are shit on almost every model.
>>
>>35033984
>shoot once without ear protection
>100% chance of hearing damage
>shoot once without eye protection
>0.001% chance of eye damage

False equivalency.
>>
I only ever shoot paper at 50-100 yards and clays so not really.
>>
>>35034004
>carries a gun
>.00001 chance over ever needing and even less of a chance using it

Why even carry a gun I mean????
The fact I can't dress like a faggot in skinny jeans is just too much
:^)
>>
>>35033797
You can compensate for the slight loss in acuity by practicing with eyepro. You can replace some ballistic glasses on scrub pay, you can replace your vision nearly as easily. Unless you're in a life or death/limb situation, put in some earplugs and throw on some damn eyepro. You're doing yourself a favor, nobody else.
>>
>>35033797
Op is a smart guy. I'm sure he'll do fine with one eye.
>>
>>35034004
>100% chance of hearing damage
Is the percentage really that high? Is it permanent? Do all calibers cause hearing damage? If i already have hearing damage and can barely hear anything will it still fuck up my ears even if i can't hear it? Shit man i need answers.
>>
>>35034066
If I could slam you in the face with a phone book right ow I would. WEAR FUCKING EARPRO, IDIOT.

On second thought, don't.
>>
One time at an indoor range, a spent casing bounced off my lane's wall, bounced off the ceiling and landed behind my glasses, and pressed the casing against my eye.
I still have a scar on my eye from that burn.
>>
>>35033797
Yes and it has definitely saved my ass on multiple occasions. I shoot left handed and with my AK every once in a while I'll get unburnt powder/lacquer bukkake on ejection. Its not painful but I bet it would be if I took it right in the eyeballs.
>>
>>35034084
Of fucking course i wear ear protection you retard. I can't imagine anyone firing guns without ear protection who isn't already deaf because of how fucking loud that must be. I was pointing out how much detail you left out of your "100% chance of ear damage" statistic.
>>
been pelted in the face by brass enough times that theyve proved their value. not cause lol glock its mostly other peoples brass or brass bouncing off the wall.
if im all alone i dont bother.
>>35034066
guns are loud
yes its permanent
plenty of things that arent guns cause hearing damage like playing music too loud
if you are already deaf its not going to get worse but if you can still hear you should put effort into saving what you have left.
>>
>>35034117
A fucking pedant who just insists on being "that guy" and needlessly breaking down a point.
>>
>>35034117
I mean. Id bet shooting just a single shot will fuck your hearing a tiny bit and it'll get increasingly worse every next shot
>>
It saved my eyes when the copper jacket on some shitty .357mag ammo spalled off the bullet when it passed the cylinder gap.
Lodged itself pretty deep into my polycarb glasses.

I haven't bought any Freedom Munitions since then.
>>
>>35034148
No he's trying to be clever by being all "but wut about people who are already deaf huh?" Just stirring shit for no reason.
>>
>>35034171
what a cock
>>
I already wear glasses so I just opted for the shatterproof ones
>>
>>35034171
I said i can't imagine anyone who isn't deaf firing a gun without ear protection because of how loud it is and your response is "Oh look at this fag trying to start shit"? I'm starting to think you're the same dipshit who posted the broad ass "firing a gun gives you 100% chance of hearing damage" without going into detail about what kind of hearing damage it is and if it's permanent.
>>
>>35033797
>I don't wear eye pro
lol ok faggot. Don't get angry when you lose the gift of sight.

>>35034059
It's not that bad.

T. One eyed guy.
>>
File: Fo4_Luck.png (33KB, 473x346px) Image search: [Google]
Fo4_Luck.png
33KB, 473x346px
>>35034095
You should put some more points into luck...
>>
>>35033797
Yes, and yes, more than once.
>>
>>35034166
You should check the timing on your revolver.
>>
>>35033797
I've had eye protection save me more times then I can remember at this point, wear it around anything at throws things or spins.
>>
Once while I was shooting my .22 pistol a little piece of smouldering hot powder or something from the cartridge flew back and got me right by the corner of my eye, and it burned like fuck. It was legitimately within a few millimetres of going into my eye.
If you want to be retarded and not wear it that's your business, but I always do now.
>>
>>35037265
First thing I checked was timing, I've shot 800 rounds of diocchi, federal, and winchester since then and nothing like it has happened.
I'm convinced it was an improperly swaged jacket.
>>
>>35034004
Confirmed for never firing a revolver with the timing off by a hair. Ended up with a 2x1mm sliver of copper from a .357 mag imbedded in my face not but .5" from my left eye.
>>
File: 1911KB1.jpg (70KB, 1024x577px) Image search: [Google]
1911KB1.jpg
70KB, 1024x577px
>>35033869
>implying
>>
The first shot I ever fired out of my first gun ricochet'd and hit my uncle hard enough in the ear to make him think he was bleeding.

After that I decided the risk vs reward of not wearing eye protection is not worth it.
>>
Not until I got a semi auto.
>>
I got in the habit of it

>shoot a /k/ommandos fal
>fucking sweat is drippong in my glasses
>fuck em, take em off
>fire fal
>get rear sight smacked on my eyebrow

I deserved that.
>>
File: 1477674790210.jpg (15KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1477674790210.jpg
15KB, 480x480px
It's 2017, there is quality eyepro that will protect your eyes from foreign objects that include jackets, hot oil and a myriad of other shit which could ruin your fucking vision. I don't know about you dumb fucks but I value being able to see and ESS glasses only cost $40 which is chump change.

You're literally an idiot if you do shoot without eyepro or even worse, wear prescription glasses that are not ballistically rated.
>b-b-but the lenses fog up!!1

There's a thing called Kat Krap you fucking shitters. Seriously, it's 2017 not 1915. Get with the times and embrace technology that isn't a fucking firearm for once.
>>
>>35033797
OP is a faggot, get perscription inserts if it throws off your eyesight that much
>>
>>35034066
Every noise over a whisper damages your hearing. Lawn mowers, concerts, live football games, vacuum cleaners, loud television sets; all of it is slowly making you deaf. Face it, your ears are gonna go sooner or later. No need to rush things, dude.
>>
>>35033797
>Have they ever saved your ass?

I think you're putting them in the wrong hole.
>>
>>35033797
If you're not wearing glasses anyway, put your fucking goggles on.
The loss of an eye isn't worth the minuscule inconvenience of possibly taking a bit longer or not quite putting a hole in a piece of paper exactly where you wanted to.
>>
>>35033797

I'm young and dumb so normally hate safety things because they often encumber you when they always seem ti go to far.

That being said, I still wear safety glasses depending on where and what I'm shooting because they have saved me so many times. I had a ruger 22 that would spit fragments of rounds back at you occasionally and lucked out that the first time it happened it stung the fuck out of my cheek because I wasn't wearing them. From then on I always wore glasses that did save my eyes shooting that gun and started wearing them anytime I shot someone else's gun or a new gun. Since then, I've probably had a dozen occasions where I would have needed an eye doctor after shooting.

I've gotten to the point where I wear at least some type of glasses because fragments love my face so much. The only times I don't is when hunting and I can't get them on in time to make a shot or very occasionally at a range until I get scared and put them back on.

It's easier to wear safety stuff if you like the style and they aren't too clunky. I stopped being cheap when I realized I'd always want to wear this shit and got some of the walker electronic ear muffs that amplify hearing but cut out gun shots that I rarely feel the need to take off along with a shaded pair of almost aviator styled safety glasses that I normally wear since I hate the style of Oakleys like in your pic. It cost many times more that standard stuff but I love it and wish I got it sooner because of the comfort. I still have some of the yellow Oakley styles I have to use for low light though.
>>
>>35037793
Wow, you should never own guns again
>>
File: 1445203492684.gif (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1445203492684.gif
2MB, 640x480px
Yes.Prescription Glasses, one time an overcharged gas flew out and the brittle thing burst on eject
>shard almost in eye
Yes again with the usual of Taurus and Jimenez and my prescription.

Do not be ijjit
>>
>>35038931
>overcharged case*
>>
I'm left handed so eyepro saves me from getting repeatedly bitchslapped in the eyes by hot gas. I usually just wear my aviators, safety glasses are for queermosexuals.
>>
>>35038546
You should check the timing. It's probably off
>>
>>35033797
Always been conflicted, I dont mind the grey lense, which actually works at night, but I feel like I miss out on detail unless I look trough clear lense, but then I look like a nerd. But I do mainly use glasses for shooting and training, in case or blow ups or fuck ups. Only time Ive ever been scared of getting casing in my eye have been during drills where ive ended up really close to another guy
>>
>>35033797
OP, see >>35034166
But hey, it's your life dude, do whatever. I bet you also don't wear a seat belt in the backseat because you're too cool for that.
>>
>>35033922
>retarded blue collar nigger has opinions
wow
can you just fuck off
>>
>>35033797

I have never had it save my ass on the range, but its saved me a shit ton of eye pain while cleaning my guns. It seems like every piece of debris makes a bee line for my eye.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (23KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
23KB, 1280x720px
Yes because I'm not a fag
>>
>>35033937
Depends. Most military eyepro has to follow APEL which usually consists of some decent stuff like wileyx and was
>>
>>35039389
Ess*
>>
>>35039370
i cant decide if i should make fun of you for having that shit saved or the file name

u r a fag
>>
>>35033868
Man I'd have to always take one of my ear pros out to hear the faggots whispering commands from the tower.

*whispers in to bullhorn that's off*
>Cease fire.... Peace tire...

What the FUCK are you saying?
>>
File: 1502174282295.jpg (9KB, 237x213px) Image search: [Google]
1502174282295.jpg
9KB, 237x213px
>went camping/shooting with VA anons
>take new vepr in x54r to range
>let friend shoot it
>hand rifle and magazine to him when he sits down at bench, he's right handed so I'm standing on the right side of the bench
>he takes first shot
>brass eject with force of 1000 supernovas
>hits me square in left eye
Thankfully I was wearing corrective lenses at the time, but they unfortunately broke from getting hit
Don't disregard eyepro
>>
>>35033797
Eye protection has saved my bacon several times. Id never think to go to the range without them.
>>
>pay $1000+ for quality glass
>turn it into $50 tasco by donning eye pro

Why would I do that?

NEways, wear them for pistols. Rifles don't need them.
>>
File: mqsLYl3.jpg (14KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
mqsLYl3.jpg
14KB, 480x270px
>>35039406
>>
I wear glasses, so I don't really wear formal eyepro unless I am:

•Shooting steel
•Testing new hand loads
•Testing an older/antique firearm

Shooting steel, especially at handguns ranges basically requires eyepro when so much lead and copper shrapnel splash back at you.
>>
Yes because I wear mine all the time to begin with with tinted shades. Indoors I just swap out to clearpro.

It saved my eyes multiple times from pieces of .45ACP coming back at me shooting steel.
>>
>>35039642
>imgur file name

go away please
>>
>>35033797

I wear ear pro but not eye pro. I have my own property to shoot on too.

I've come close to getting hit in the eye with a couple pieces of brass over the years, but nothing too bad.
>>
>>35033930
My shades managed to stop a hot Tokarov casing from mating with my eye,put a nice mark on pricey shades,but its worth having my eyes
>>
I just wear perscription aviators. Along with being lefty its a good idea. But my buddy's chicom Tokarov managed to hit my glasses pretty good. Had i not been wearing them i would have caught hot brass in the eye
>>
>>35033825
>It's not like pistols ever blow up or anything.
The chance of a catastrophic failure is so remove it's not even worth thinking about. You're more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the range than a catastrophic gun failure.
>>
>>35037568
Maybe if you didn't shoot a Taurus.
>>
>>35033797
Swiss here. You pretty much never see anyone wearing eye protection glasses at any of our ranges here. Shooting glasses yes, but not ones purely for protection.
>>
>>35039014
>I usually just wear my aviators, safety glasses are for queermosexuals

Until a jacket fragment hits you in your aviators you bought from the circle rack thing from Walgreens or whatever, sending itty bitty pieces of glass into your fucking retina, causing you to drop your gun and scream like a girl covering your bleeding eyes.

But hey, you looked cool doing it so that's what counts right?
>>
>>35033797
i dont but have been hit by a 223 ricochet.
it hit me in the leg after shooting soft steel at about 40yds.
Hurt like a bitch but did not break the skin.
makes me think i should wear eye pro
>>
>>35040723
Literally never happens.
>>
File: party-like-its-1986.jpg (266KB, 800x801px) Image search: [Google]
party-like-its-1986.jpg
266KB, 800x801px
>>35033797
Im a blind bitch so I just wear my big aviators.
They work as eye pro great and theyre prescription so no loss in acuity.
>>
>cant see shit without glasses so i cant wear any real eyepro
Feels bad
>>
Had the steel core of some surplus ricochet off a rock buried in the canyon wall where I shoot.

I pulled the trigger and my buddy next to me started hopping around swearing. The metal came back and hit him in the arm. Left a nice scratch.

So we both were eye pro when we shoot. And we dug that dam rock out of the wall.
>>
a buddy's mini-14 blew up last time we were at the range. locked the bolt, blew the magazine apart, and sprayed his face with propellant/fragments. he was wearing eyepro and just came away with a busted gun and a quickly-beating heart
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.