[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /k/ quick question. My vision is bad enough for me to be considered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1502912906840.jpg (41KB, 443x399px) Image search: [Google]
1502912906840.jpg
41KB, 443x399px
Hi /k/ quick question.
My vision is bad enough for me to be considered legally blind. The particulars don't matter much, but I'm confident in my ability to aim within a couple yards, shit's just blurry.
Can I buy a handgun for self defense despite that? I've obviously never been to a gun store so I don't know what the process is. I live in PA if that matters.
>>
>>35028009
can you buy one yes
should you carry it probably not unless you want to kill random people your blindass didnt see
>>
File: Drafter vision is fine.jpg (307KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
Drafter vision is fine.jpg
307KB, 500x667px
>>35028009
IIRC, Illinois doesn't allow you to if your eyesight is poor.

>>35028014
Most defensive shooting occurs within 7 yards and has fewer than 3 rounds fired.

I do think the specifics are pretty important, though. If you have retinitis pigmentosa, for instance, the lack of central-vision or night vision could be very problematic. If it's a case of severe photo oculodynia, then as long as you wear glasses with an appropriate visible light transmittance, then you should be fine. If it's because of severe blepharospasms, then I don't think you'd be able to maintain a proper sight picture...

t. legally blind fucko
>>
File: 1501034680737.jpg (69KB, 540x359px) Image search: [Google]
1501034680737.jpg
69KB, 540x359px
>>35028081
It's LHON for me. Nerve atrophy. My father's side of the family all has awful vision, and late in my teens my vision started to diminish and corrective lenses stopped making a huge difference. My color vision isn't affected even though my father and grandfather are both colorblind, but my acuity is awful past a certain point, my field of vision is reduced somewhat, and I briefly see black spots in the center of my vision when I turn my eyes all the way to either side. The spots have been getting bigger over the years. Both eyes ache constantly—most days not too badly—and it's not uncommon to get headaches because of it.
My left eye is far worse than my right, lazy, and infrequently tremors on top of that which gives me disorienting double vision—considerably less so recently though, a muscle spasmed under my eye while holding my breath and diving in a pool, and when I surfaced I noticed the change almost immediately. I've no idea what happened.
My right eye is just good enough to read large print with, and if I close my left eye I can focus when I need to.
Ignoring the other things, and if I keep my eyes mostly forward, I'd compare my vision acuity to what it was like early in my teens when I took my glasses off. Could've been far worse, and will certainly become worse as I get older. Fingers crossed for medical breakthroughs.
>>
>>35028218
Shit, that sucks man. I feel for you. At least I can sortof correct my vision problems, though direct sunlight still puts me at 0% vision through my shades.
On the bright side, self-driving cars are going to be commercially available in North America within the next decade unless politics fuck it up.
You may also be interested to learn that it's possible to have a "3rd parent" who donates specifically the mitochondrial DNA to avoid transmitting diseases like that to offspring.
>>
>>35028247
>self-driving cars
I'm hopeful. Gaining the freedom to go where I want without bugging friends for a ride would be incredible, but the kinks would really have to be ironed out for me to be comfortable sitting in one of those.
Having to walk everywhere is why I'm interested in being able to defend myself if I absolutely need to. I live in a pretty shitty neighborhood—so shitty that there was a drug bust down the street a couple months ago, and friends have been mugged outside corner stores—but I own my house so I'm kind of stuck here for now.
>donate [...] mitochondrial DNA
This is news to me! I'll have to . . . look into it.
>>
>>35028289
Oh, and the possibility of rewriting our own DNA via CRISPR may also exist. May not repair existing damage, but who knows?
>>
>>35028218
And i used to think that i have it bad for being short sighted up to -8 dioptry.

From how far can you recognize a face with glasses?

I think you should carry a gun. Ignore the guy who said that you will hit someone else as that rarely happens. At close ranges you are point aiming anyways and its hard to miss a human silhouette from 7 feet.
>>
>>35028009
Ohiofag here. OP when I worked as a driver for the disabled I had a client that was legally blind that also shot pistols. I don't believe there is any legal reason why a blind person can't own or use a gun, just be safe doing so.
>>
Oh, and for what it's worth, one of the best Olympic archers currently alive is legally blind.
>>
>>35028009
I know a legit blind guy who owns lots of funs. Knock yourself out.
>>
>>35028009
Mishaco (https://www.youtube.com/user/plinking101) is a blind gun youtuber that is also an FFL.

I imagine it varies state by state, and I don't know how blind Misha is, but if he can get his FFL there's a pretty good chance you can concealed carry. PA doesn't seem too fucky with guns despite bordering some shit states.
>>
>>35028009
>Can I buy a handgun for self defense despite that?

possibly legally but common sense wise ? fuck no you retard

use your brain and avoid situations where you might need a gun

get some mace or taser instead
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.