[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you tell if a trigger is good or bad? I always hear people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1495103035432.jpg (222KB, 809x548px) Image search: [Google]
1495103035432.jpg
222KB, 809x548px
How do you tell if a trigger is good or bad? I always hear people bitch about their trigger being bad when they shoot badly or use unquantifiable terms to describe the pull.
>>
File: 1502152707534.jpg (151KB, 388x443px) Image search: [Google]
1502152707534.jpg
151KB, 388x443px
>>35020887
In precision rifles and in civilian applications:

When you pull, there should be absolutely minimal resistance until there's a sudden, very obvious wall of resistance. Up to this point, the trigger movement should be smooth.

When you apply slightly more pressure, this wall of resistance should cleanly break away and the gun should discharge.

After firing, there's some personal preference as to how a trigger should properly behave, but it should provide clear feedback that the trigger has reset and is ready for the next cycle.

A bad trigger will feel "mushy" before the break, with steadily increasing resistance such that the shooter isn't entirely sure where the firing point will occur.

However, in military line unit combat applications, it can be preferable to have a heavier, messier trigger as the user will likely be wearing gloves and hopped up on adrenaline (and energy drinks) and more prone to jerking the trigger or other "bad" habits. In this situation, the gradual resistance found in "shitty" triggers increase can be useful because per-shot accuracy isn't as important and when shit's going down, you can have your finger on the trigger and not know if you're actually squeezing it.
>>
The terms confuse you because you haven't shot enough guns. Until you shoot enough guns to understand what we are saying, it doesn't matter if the trigger is good or bad
>>
>>35021000
That was a very succinct and well worded explanation, thank you.
>>
>>35020887
Shoot a good trigger like a winchester model 70, most 1911s, tikka t3x.
Then shoot a terrible one such as a ruger lcp or m91/30
You'llsee
>>
>>35021098

You sound like a wine taster.

>>35021000

Trips of truth.
>>
Someone ever shooted with a 0.1-0.2lbs trigger?
Its funny to see how noobies take misshots
>>
>>35020887
>is the trigger pull weight over 1 pound?
>is there ANY perceivable grit, hitching, grinding, or anything other than ball-bearing smooth movement at any point in the pull?
>does it fail to have an overtravel stop?
>If it has an overtravel stop, is it set incorrectly (more than 1/16th of an inch of movement)?
>is there ANY takeup AT ALL (yes, this means all 2-stage triggers are shit)?
If the answer is yes to any of the above, it's a shit trigger. Doesn't matter if it's a rifle, pistol, or shotgun.

No, this does not mean a shit trigger is unusable. No, this does not mean "milspec" triggers don't serve a purpose. Yes, this means if you disagree you have shit taste or are brainwashed.
>>
>>35021555
I've got a 2oz Jewell and a 1oz Bix n Andy, both in benchrest guns.

I love letting other people shoot them
>hey, the gun has an extremely extremely light trigger, it WILL fire if you SO MUCH AS TOUCH THE TRIGGER. DO NOT touch the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire!
>lolokayBOOM
>you fucking retard I literally just told you-
>I WASN'T EXPECTING IT TO BE THAT LIGHT
>you fucking retard I literally JUST TOLD YOU!
>>
>>35020887
dunno most guns are okay but the glocks sure are shit. the trigger pull feels nasty disgusting and awkward.
>>
who's your favorite gun, anon? mine's ump-45
>>
>>35021772
This is what I don't like about stupid light triggers.
It throws me off because I'm spending more muscle and mental effort not pulling the trigger than I would if I had a sensibly heavier trigger that I could pull against a bit and rest on it until I'm ready to fire.
>>
>>35021891
The 4 Rules of Firearm Safety
1) Always treat every firearm as though it is loaded.
2) Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
> 3) Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until ready to shoot.
4) Always be sure of your target and what is in front of it and behind it.
>>
>>35021891
I routinely hunt with 12oz and 14oz triggers, including in extremely cold weather where I'm wearing thick gloves.

I have NEVER had a gun go off when I didn't want it to, and I never will.

Perhaps you should stop being bad?

Also, >>35022048
>>
>>35022079
>I have NEVER had a gun go off when I didn't want it to, and I never will.

You have garbage logic and your anecdotal evidence is even more useless.
>>
>>35021434
Kek, brush up on your terminology, and git gud scrub.

Also malbec is the best varietal
>>
The trigger needs to be light enough to not require any more input than needed to fire, but heavy enough to have springs that can pop the primer of even the cheapest of steel case slavshit ammo.

Also a short enough reset to provide input when you let off the trigger but again the pull has to be heavy enough to not cause you to ND when riding the reset.

Also hinged triggers like M&Ps are trash.
>>
>>35022048
>>35022079
I'm not woried about having an ND
I'm saying that it's easier for me to be accurate if I have a little resistance to the trigger so I can stack it slightly
>>
>>35021745

Speaking of that second point, is there any way to "clean up" an SKS trigger? My trigger has a bit of a grindy feel until you reach the breaking point, and then it's crisp and clean.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.