[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why haven't they put a Wankel engine in an IFV or MBT? It

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: rotary-thumb.png (639KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
rotary-thumb.png
639KB, 600x600px
Why haven't they put a Wankel engine in an IFV or MBT?
It produces crazy HP compared to the size and weight it takes up
>>
>>35017140
Unreliable doritos magic
>>
>>35017140
Torque is the number that matters, and those engines get hot as fuck too.
>>
>>35017140
Horrible fuel waste
>>
>>35017140
Because MBTs aren't made out of fibreglass.
>>
>>35017140
We need speed not Hit Points, tank already have armor.
>>
>>35017140
/o/ pls go

Dorito engines fucking suck, and for a military application even more so. To lug around a giant, heavily-armored vehicle you need lots and lots of torque and an extremely robust engine. The design of the dorito engine makes both of those things extremely difficult.

While the main issue, replacing the apex seals, is extremely easy for a home hobbyist... that same issue might end up killing someone in the battlefield. The dorito engines are a neat idea, but they fucking suck. I don't at all regret selling my FD desu.
>>
File: image_0.jpg (151KB, 603x1232px) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
151KB, 603x1232px
>>
>>35017140

You really want to know the answer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3uGJGzUYCI
>>
>>35017140
That's only slightly less absurd than powering an armored vehicle with a fucking 2-stroke.
>>
File: 1480536733765.png (310KB, 460x371px) Image search: [Google]
1480536733765.png
310KB, 460x371px
>>35017140
you'd have more success putting one in a light 4x4. The Soviets actually made Wankel-powered Ladas for use as pursuit vehicles, and while the first-gen cars were incredibly unreliable, later examples still brap around Eastern Europe to this day. They're incredibly quick (for Ladas).
>>
>>35017140
I'm fuckin hammered and can't tell if I'm on /k/ or /o/
Rotary engines a shit diesel is fine you faggot
>>
I love the wankel, I really do, but even Mazda technicians will groan when you roll into their shop in an RX.
>>
you're drunk Hert
>>
I know it's not /o/ but
A P E X S E A L S
>>
uneven wear inside the chamber
>>
Doesn't the abrams have a rotary APU, or whatever they are called in tanks, a little extra motor?

>>35017908
>tfw found a clean RX-7
>they were asking 50k burgers for it

why must it hurt so
>>
>>35018138
Because its a sought after rice.
>>
I think in military application the rotary could be viable as you don't need to care about emission regulations. You can pre-mix all you want and spit out un burnt fuel all day. Pre-mixing will eliminate the apex seal problem almost completely. Or you could build the thing with better oil injection since burning extra oil is not a problem either.

Low torque is not a problem. That's why tanks and cars have gearboxes. The turbine on Abrams would produce fuck all torque if there wasn't a gear reduction on it.

Maintenance is not a problem either, because on modern tanks you just pop out the power pack and drop a newly serviced one in.
>>
>>35017140
>get where you're going in your Wanker MBT
>everyone has died of heat stroke
>everything under the hood melts or ignites because nobody was left to open it up and let it cool off for 10-15 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkJYnxFYJQ
>>
>>35017140
Because junkyard LS1 swaps can be done for $500 and an afternoon and will destroy doritos on the toegay.
>>
>>35017140
>It produces crazy HP compared to the size and weight it takes up
It's fucking shit and doesn't make hardly any horse power until 9krpm

Burns oil
Requires fuck tons of maintenance over regular piston engines
Awful mpg
Who cares if it's lighter, piston engines are better, more efficient and are far more durable
>>
>>35017293
what if it were a really big two-stroke
>>
because wankels work like this

boost into combustion chamber -> apex seals blown out of chamber
>>
>>35017154
or alternately: exceptional kraut space magic.
>>
TORQUE
>>
>>35019068
>>35019142
>>35019260
>>35019596

To all of these I say: look at the fucking abrams.

The dorito engine would be viable alternative to the turbine with only loss of multi fuel capability.
>>
>>35017140
Because reliability and maintenance are the primary concerns in an IFV, not how much HP you can squeeze into a certain space.
>>
>>35019667
As if the Abrams needed even more reasons to be down for maintenance.
>>
>>35019667
Worse on gas, shit tourque, burns oil, apex seals, having to employ puerto ricans for maintenance.
Go back to your containment board on /o/. I left that shitfest for a reason.
>>
>>35019036
I was waiting for this.
>>
>>35017140
Slow piece of shit. I can smoke the fuck out of this in my 1972 M113 with a few simple mods.
>>
>>35018138
>rotary APU
No
>>
>>35019828
Kek
>>
>>35017227
>I don't at all regret selling my FD desu.

Should have done an LS swap in it anon.
>>
>>35019951
now i want to put a rotary in a corvette just to piss off the chevy "lets put ls motors in everything" crowd.
>>
>>35019965
Youd be late.
>>
>>35019951
No, passing the FD off to someone who could appreciate it for what it is was the right move.
>>
>>35017140
I designed one of these as part of an ME course. They have very bad heat and leakage problems, and are basically always burning their oil. The fact that these predate widespread adoption of CNC amazes me - while the chamber profile can be within a fairly wide margin of a true trochoid (compared to an ordinary piston engine), the shape still requires either very specialized tooling, or CNC.

>>35017266
sums up the appeal of the engine
>>
>>35019828
what mods are you running, fampai?

>>35020058
I don't think anybody's put one in a first-gen yet, just imagine the butthurt
>>
>>35019761
Are you implying a fucking turbine makes any torque?

Do you think an extra quart of oil every 100 miles is going to make any fucking difference?

With proper oil injection the apex seals are perfectly fine.

Protip: with war machines you don't need to meet emission standards.
>>
>>35020109
The arrogance of CNC programmers never ceases to amaze me. It's like you just can't imagine a time when personal competence was actually a thing, when machines were tools instead of crutches.
>>
>>35020438
>armies are switching to lead-free ammo because >muh environment
>war machines don't need to meet emission standards
You will see a plug-in hybrid Leopard 2 within your lifetime.
>>
>>35020457
The computer revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the engineer race.
>>
>>35020250
The only one hurting would be your wallet.
>>
>>35020438
You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Everything you stated has been refuted already. Go back to your /o/ containment thread. Rotaryfags are the tokarev shills of /o/
>>
>>35020556
I wish Dardick shills were a thing so that they could bond with Wankel shills over their shared triangle fetish.
>>
>>35020438
>Are you implying a fucking turbine makes any torque?
Yes. It actually puts out a shitload of torque at very low RPMs.
>>
>>35017227
The dorito engine on the rx7 was voted the worst engine of all time on a list of the 8 shittiest engines ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvPWt54h3gs

its in tostito speak but lol it has subtitles in english.
>>
>>35020438
give it up your motor sucks its got a limited lifespan because it was s shit design, look at the video posted and accept it doesn't live up to the hype fucking ricer car faggot.
>>
>>35019951
I don't like to mutilate vehicles, other than my shitboxes I try to keep my more uncommon vehicles stock and as mint as possible. I just couldn't keep up with the RX-7 and would rather someone else have fun with it.

That same person has taken good care of it as well, but hates maintaining it as well.
>>
>>35017140
>Why haven't they put a Wankel engine in an IFV or MBT?

Nobody's mentioned the #1 top reason why it'll never happen yet?

The army runs everything on jp8, which is a lot like diesel, and wankel rotary engines are low-compression, and thus unsuitable for diesel fuel.

They are not going to start a second fuel supply line for regular gasoline just so you can play with your fidget spinner.
>>
>>35017159
they create very little fucking torque and you have to spi nthe shit out of them, thats why>>35017140
>>
>>35021518
They just hate it because Doritos are yet another example of Americans being better at "ethnic" cuisine than actual ethnics are.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.