[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw cant decide between 22lr rifle or shotgun Marlin 60

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 5

File: coffee_chan.jpg (49KB, 500x595px) Image search: [Google]
coffee_chan.jpg
49KB, 500x595px
>tfw cant decide between 22lr rifle or shotgun

Marlin 60 vs maverick88/Stevens 320

OR some cheap single shot shotgun

I genuinely can't pick
And yes, I'm poor
22 pros
>really cheap common ammo, can shoot more
>train rifle marksmanship
>apparently always fun
Shogun
>versatile and practical
>can do fun shell stuff
>can be used for defense
>>
Get a Maverick 88
>>
>>35015339
Why
>>
>>35015334
It's pretty simple, if you live somewhere where you can just shoot on your property, I'd recommend a 22 since you'll have tons of fun just pinking shit or getting better at target shooting which will lead to you getting another gun, if you have to go to a range or you can only buy one gun, go with the shotgun, you can pretty much do anything you want with it hunting wise and it's more than adequate for self defense.

As >>35015339 said get a Maverick 88, they have parts comparability for most things with the Mossberg 500 which has a ton of aftermarket, the Stevens has pretty much nothing. I have a 500 and still prefer to take the Maverick hunting since it's cheap enough that if I lost it it wouldn't be too bad and it's moderately lighter but I've still put over 1500 rounds through it without issue.
>>
>>35015483
But can't I go to a range with 22?
Yeah I live in an urban so I can't just fire off rounds.

I want to get accurate I guess
>>
>>35015511
It's not that you can't, but to me it's just unsatisfying to drive 30 minutes to a range and to fire off 100 rounds from a bench at a target and not really be able to do much else plus indoor ranges suck, with shotguns, skeet and trap is active and fun so by the end of 100 rounds (four rounds of skeet) your decently tired and and your shoulder is probably sore so it makes a good stopping point. As another plus birdshot doesn't travel very far so you can go to nearby federal/state land and just shoot clays that you throw by hand or just generally do stupid shit with targets since you only have to worry about what's 500m behind your shot, whereas an errant .22 round can go over three miles.

If you want to practice groupings just get a suppressed .22 pellet gun, (Air rifles can have an integral suppressor without needing ATF paperwork), they can often be had for less than 100$ on sale at Walmart or similar locations and ammo is really cheap to boot, it's quiet enough that even if you were in an apartment your neighbors wouldn't notice and you can set up a pellet trap with ducting putty that is impossible to get through, the fundamentals of marksmanship translate pretty well from a small scale, even a setup as small as 5m will have you see noticeable improvements in grouping size, plus you can use it for small game.
>>
>>35015334
Anything?
>>
>>35015816
You got any proof bucko?
>>
File: IA Hawk.png (172KB, 580x386px) Image search: [Google]
IA Hawk.png
172KB, 580x386px
>>35015334
Interstate Arms Hawk is a cheap chink copy of Remington 870. Pay no more than 150 for one if you know where/when to look (maybe Black Friday hue hue). It won't be perfect or pretty but it will work. It's weight will help with recoil absorption as well.
>>
>>35019321
With Airgun suppressors they're kosher as long as they're non removable and the manufacturer gets ATF approval, if they weren't legal I doubt pretty much every Walmart would sell them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gamo-Whisper-Air-Rifle/52541890#about-item

The caveat is that it has to be non removable, you can't just make a suppressor yourself and put it on an air rifle without a tax stamp since you could possibly put it on a real rifle.
>>
>>35020191
But I can't kill a man
>>
>>35015816
>someone wants a gun
>tell them to buy airshit

10/10
>>
>>35020818
>>35020854

>Not reading the post that it gets context from

Op wants to decide between a shotgun and a .22, he would have to go to a range for either and you can do more than just plink with the shotgun, I suggested that he buy the shotgun and get a cheaper air rifle that you can shoot indoors so you can do target practice at home.
>>
>>35020890
except airshit doesn't recreate a real gun at all aside from what your holding while being completely useless for ops purposes
>>
>>35020911
Sure, but the same would apply for a .22 and OP is in a city so he can't just shoot in his backyard, for what it's worth its a little more than airshit they generally have around 10-12 fpe at the muzzle whereas airshit gets below 2, you can actually use a pellet rifle for small game hunting.
>>
>>35020963
If it don't shoot bullets it ain't the same
>>
>>35020963
>implying a .22 might as well not be a bb with all the noise it makes
>>
File: .22 cal pellet.jpg (86KB, 969x1000px) Image search: [Google]
.22 cal pellet.jpg
86KB, 969x1000px
>>35022339
It's still shooting lead pellets, and you can get ones that have a similar cross section to a .22LR round so I don't see why not, it's pretty much just like shooting Aguila super colibri except quieter since you can use a suppressor without having to file a form 1 since it's not a firearm.

>>35022394
Sure, energy wise you could get loadings that are close, but the key thing is OP lives in a city so the reasoning for the pellet rifle is because they're legal to shoot in most cities whereas guns aren't, if some soccer-mom was to call the police, with a pellet rifle you'd be fine with a .22 you'd get fined.
>>
>>35020191
A .22 isn't much more expensive though while being better in every way
>>
>>35022888
Sure, but the point is that you can use the air rifle in places that you can't legally shoot a gun, such as where OP lives.
>>
>>35022968
But the 22 is probably a better investment

why is a range such an impossible thing
>>
>>35022980
Because it limits where and when you can shoot your rifle, with my pellet rifle I literally have a target on the other side of the room and casually shoot it on a whim, since it's so easy to use I do so frequently and as a result you can easily train yourself to get better groupings in a fairly short time, with a .22 that you have to take to a range you'd be doing well to go shooting once a week and at that rate it will take significantly longer for you to see any noticeable improvement.

There's little that the .22 can do that a pellet rifle couldn't to inside of 25m, but the pellet rifle is way more convent to use for target shooting since you don't have to worry about running afoul of your cities ordinances, if you lived somewhere where you can shoot in your backyard I'd recommend a .22, but if you don't the pellet rifle is the next best thing.
>>
>>35020890
That's really not a half bad idea.
My only hesitation is that I think rifle marksmanship should probably be the foundation for your introduction to shooting.

.22's are cheap to feed, fun and easy to shoot.
A shotgun can be used for home/store defense, but has a somewhat limited range.

If you wanna Minuteman LARP, at some point you need a centerfire rifle.... BUT these days AR15's are CHEAPER than SKS'S!!

Palmetto State is the poorfag's best friend.
>>
>>35022339
>If it don't shoot bullets it ain't the same

Bullshit.
It's the EXACT same skills- proper breathing, proper stance and proper trigger control.

If given a chance, I'd probably start everyone on pelletguns and then move them to firearms after they had the basic skill set. Much cheaper that way for one thing.
>>
>>35023103
>>35023113
What's a cheap .22 air rifle then?
The one you posted is like $140 in. 22

I don't know if I can justify that when marlin 60s are that low sometimes

Does suppress really matter
>>
>>35023140
fuck off a pellet gun is just an air soft rifle. that shit is not like shooting at all you airsoft people are all the same, think you're getting a real world skill by larping
>>
>>35023163
Shoot your self with airshit, and then shoot your self with a proper pellet rifle, the pellet rifle is shooting a 14 grain lead projectile at around 800-1200 fps whereas airsoft rifles are shooting a 3 grain plastic projectile at 400 fps, the airshit rifle will bounce off the skin but the pellet rifle will penetrate 3-4 inches it's a world of difference.
>>
>>35023270
wow 3-4 inches of .22 im fuckin shaking
>>
It's not to defend yourself with, it's to train your groupings or hunt small game...
>>
>>35023312

for>>35023279
>>
>>35023163
>mfw never shot anything but airguns before and the first time I used realgunz the skills had transferred
Not so much the manual of arms, which is obviously completely different, but the fundamentals of marksmanship that stay the same across pretty much any weapon.
>>
>>35023575
Manual of arms?
>>
>>35020191
Do they make a version of this with no optics
>>
>>35023150
pls respond
>>
>>35023312
real 22s can help you in self defense whole teaching real gun handling pellet 22s will get you jetted off by other airshit fucks
>>
>>35024481
Are you too dense to realize that guns can be used for other things than self defense?

Besides, what was suggested for OP is that he buys a Shotgun and a pellet rifle, uses the shotgun for practical things and improves his stability and groupings with the pellet rifle since it's cheap and easy to use, with the intention of buying a centerfire rifle in the future, plus .22 is unusable for self defense anyway.
>>
>>35023150
>>>35023103
>>>35023113 (You)

Daisy makes a single pump target rifle that is .177 and is about $100 of so(MDL# 935 I THINK). Add $20 for upgraded sites and you have a pretty legit target/training air rifle. It's the cheap cousin of the expensive air rifles used by the CMP- yo can also buy used CMP air rifles. I think they run about $200ish.
Pyramsid Air dot com is teh biggest / best place to look at airguns.

You can get a Marlin or Savage .22 for $100-$140...can you shoot indoors with the super quiet .22? I used to shoot in my living room with a phone book for a bullet backstop with the .22 shorts and such.

You can get a .22 LR and 500 round of good CCI Reg velocity rounds and learn to shoot really well for $200....the question is- is it convenient for you to get to the range 3 or 4 times to shoot all 500 rounds?

Where do you live again? And have you ever shot before?
>>
>>35024688
>where are you
Florida suburb
>ever shoot before?
No
>>
>>35023163
I have trained literally hundred of young people to shoot. Pellet guns, .22 rifles and handguns and 45's.

You're outta your lane there Lil Donny...
>>
>>35024682
>.22 is unusable for self defense anyway.

I've seen a number of people dropped with a headshot from a .22. There was guy that shot up a mall with a 10/22 awhile back...security videos shows the effectiveness very graphically.
>>
>>35024713

FL is pretty gun friendly. There should be a range near you that rents guns if you want to try before you buy.
BTW - a 12 gauge has a decent amount of kick...actually it has a LOT of kick. If you're small or like 140 pounds, it may not be that much fun to shoot it. The heavy rounds like buckshot and slugs are brutal to shoot. It's literally almost the equivalent of a buffalo or elephant gun.

Think about visiting a range and renting or just asking questions about the rental guns.
>>
>>35024688
>.22 rifle with. 22 short into a phone book

This could probably work fine Tbh and be cheaper than pellet

Just make a home made suppressor and only use it inside your living space open and then hide it
>>
>>35024745
He only killed 4 people, it's barely a mass shooting at that point, plus there's this thread from earlier today, >>35007889
>>
>>35024815
Scratch that, it was actually five, but the point still stands
>>
>>35024843
It's still five more than the " as useless as throwing sand at them" that /k/ and most shooting communities scream about
Its not optimal but you're not as hopeless as you think you are if you just have a .22 and have to save for a shotgun or sme shit
>>
>>35024804
I'd avoid shooting inside frequently as most primers are based off of Lead styphnate derivatives which means that some of it lingers in the air after firing, but for the targets in the arigun community there's this ducting putty stuff that's great for silent targets, the rounds penetrate into it to some degree and it doesn't make any noise and once the target gets saturated you can just knead it to mix all of the rounds to the middle and renew the stuff, phonebooks tend to get shot out wherever your aiming and you run the risk of a round penetrating.

>>35024862
Sure, but my point was that if OP gets a shotgun what's the point of using a .22 for self defense

>>35024203
>>35023150

Since your in a suburb you probably don't need to worry about having the thing suppressed then as long as it's legal in the area, as to for what to get I personally have a QB-79, it's a Chinese copy of a Crossman model 600 that's designed to use 9oz paintball co2 tanks, it can be found online for around 100$ in .22, it's trigger is amazing since it can be turned down to around 4oz safely and there's not a spec of plastic to be found on it as well. The other option that you have is to go with a used Daisy m835 from the CMP, it will probably be more accurate than the QB-79 but it'll run you around 120$ and it's only in .177 with fairly low energy so using it to hunt with would be dubious, plus it's a one stroke pump that you have to do with each shot rather than just opening the bolt with the QB-79.
>>
>>35024843
5 people killed with 5 shots....

and I saw a little ghetto goblin in NJ that got shot by the cops 14 times and didn't die- even with multiple shots to the pelvic girdle and torso.
Shot placement also matters.
>>
>>35015334
get the Marlin 60
more cheap easy fun and a long held flagship of the .22lr world
>>
>>35025143
But can it kill a man
>>
>>35025258
Yes, but it's also not ideal if you also have a shotgun.
>>
>>35025294
Dare you to kill me with that airshit
>>
OK, my final answer:
OP, for a first time gun owner and shooter, I'd say get a .22- Marlin or Savage are both solid brands ( I like Savage personally) and buy 500 rounds of good quality ammo like CCI Standard Velocity.
Find some videos on basic marksmanship on YT and practice at home with an empty gun for a week or two.

A bolt action gun is more accurate, but is slower to shoot and almost useless in a self defense situation.
A semi auto isn't quite as accurate, but has a higher (faster) rate if fire.

Walmart carries both Marlin and Savage- I've seen them as low as $99.
The ammo should run about $50. The rest is for targets and range fees. (and some safety glasses and some foam earplugs, and maybe a cheap case for transport duties.
>>
File: 142387172753.png (27KB, 527x409px) Image search: [Google]
142387172753.png
27KB, 527x409px
>>35025309
>>
>>35025341
Op should get an airgun and then.a shotgun
>>
>>35025341
An air gun would be cheaper and easier to plink with
>>
>>35025347
you feeling lucky, punk?
>>
>>35025349
>>35025489

OP wants to be a gun owner and is old enough to be able to legally own one ( presumably).
He can buy a firearm for about the same price as an airgun.

Get a gun that's inexpensive to shoot while you learn. It's hard to go wrong with a good .22 and a nice supply of ammo. Learn the basics, then decide what you want to buy next. Plus, if you go to the range, you might meet people that let you shoot their guns. Some random guys let me shoot their SCAR and an AK last week at the range.
>>
>>35026650
>bible thumping " Muh rights muh guns"
>implying an Air rifle is as expensive as a .22
>especially longterm
>>
>>35026742
You should refrain from interrupting while the adults are speaking.
>>
>>35015483
>if you have to go to a range or you can only buy one gun, go with the shotgun, you can pretty much do anything you want with it hunting wise and it's more than adequate for self defense.

This anon gets it. If you're a poorfag range fees hurt. So I agree with this anon OP, you need 2 different things. 1 to satisfy the "have a gun" need. 2. Learn to shoot better.

For 1. A break action shotgun for defense/hunting/fun will always have a place in your battery and is pretty damn cheap.

For 2 an airgun is the right answer. You want a single stroke pneumatic or multipump pneumatic. Springers need a hold you don't want to use with a real gun, while pneumatics you can treat the same. For max versatility consider the Crosman p1377 with stock. You can put the stock on to practice riflemanship or take it off to practice pistol. <100 and ammo will be 2 cents a pop and no range fee. For target single stroke pneumatics are the shit beeman p17 is a good value for pistol.
>>
>>35026650
The suggestion was for OP to get a shotgun, since it can pretty much do anything hunting wise in NA as well as being decent for self defense, and then get an airgun since It'll be cheaper than a .22 in both the short and long term and OP can actually use it in his backyard, since OP is a poorfag range fees kill the .22 and there's essentially nothing that you gain marksmanship wise with a .22lr rifle that you wouldn't get with an airgun.
>>
>>35015334

There are round adaptors for shotguns that allow you to fire .22
>>
>>35015334
Do you wanna shoot paper or clays?
>>
>>35029202
a .22 rifle is cheaper than an airgun
you can buy a marlin 60 right now for $95
>>
>>35029310

Yes, but OP has to drive to and pay for a range since he can't shoot where he lives, whereas with an airgun he can.
>>
>>35029363
>>35029363
why cant he shoot where he lives? its a fuckin suburb
just use 22 short god damn
air rifles are for people who live in bad countries
>>
>>35029371
He could probably get away with .22 short or subsonics, but by the letter of the law he'd still be illegal, if some soccermom was to call the police on him and he was using a .22 he'd likely get fined or have his guns confiscated.

Besides the meaning of a suburb can be relative, I live in a "Suburb" that's in a city that bans the shooting of guns, but my house still backs up to a creek that's 300M wide, so I could shoot birshot without much of an issue, but you could also live in a "Suburb" where you have your neighbor on the other side of the fence not even 30ft away.
>>
>>35029412
so you're saying poor people shouldnt own guns?
>>
>>35029652
No, I'm saying that trying to fight the law is futile since for every one of you out there that say "well you could safely shoot a .22 in a small backyard", they're 10 soccermoms that can plead to the local city council to ban shooting those dangerous assault .22s for the safety of their chilluns, and if you can't fight the law the best you can do is try to work around it, hence the suggestion of a shotgun and air rifle since it leads to you getting way more trigger time than a .22.
>>
>>35029703
but if a shotgun is bought then it may be years before an air rifle can be bought
if an air rifle is bought it may be years before shotgun is bought
this is how poor people work
>>
>>35029732
Then I'd recommend he gets the shotgun first, you can get a Maverick 88 for around 150 used, it's probably the best quality cheap modern shotgun, it's got parts compatibility with the 500 and is assembled in the US so there's at least some QC, Armslist is great for this type of thing, if you haggle a bit and offer to drive to the guy you can often see a 20% price drop:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/7233766/miami-florida-shotguns-for-sale--mossberg-model-88-12-gauge----new--never-fired

http://www.armslist.com/posts/6859408/florida-shotguns-for-sale--maverick-88
>>
>>35029816
Fuck off that's lame, you're lame
>>
>>35029875
I mean if your only going to buy one gun you'd be a fool to not get a shotgun, sure a .22 is cheap to practice with, but you can't hunt anything larger than a raccoon easily and self defense is doable but still iffy, if you go with a centerfire rifle, you either go with 5.56 which needs good shot placement with anything larger than a small deer or .308 which is excessive for small game unless your using special loads, plus a reasonable .223/.308 rifle will run you north of 200$ on a black Friday sale for a bolt action, or 350+ for a semi.

Plus ammo is around the same cost for all three options .223/5.56 bottoms out at 17 CPR, .308 at 30 CPR (18 if you go with plastic rounds), and 12ga at 18CPR for target loads, 30 for 00 Buck, and 40 for rifled slugs.

The beauty of the shotgun is that you can pretty much do everything moderately well and since the guys in florida it's not like he's taking long range shots anyway, plus it's cheaper than a rifle initially to boot, you can hunt anything that walks or flys on the continent, your well equipped for self defence with 00 or #4 buck, and you can still have fun shooting cheap target loads at clays for the same price as shooting cheap .223/.308.
>>
>>35030047
shotgun doesn't teach you how to aim or get into shooting. which is what the fuck op wants
>>
>>35030965
Sure, but if OP is a poorfag the shotgun is more useful than a .22 and if he want's to learn to shoot it would be cheaper to go with an airgun
>>
>>35030965
>shotgun doesn't teach you to aim
???????????????
>>
>>35030988
An airgun is not cheaper by any means.
a .22 goes pew pew pew pew pew pew
an airgun goes
Foop...............................................................................foop.......................................................................................Foop

A .22 is $90 or less
An airgun is like $130
>>
>>35031036
The fire rate doesn't make a difference when your working on groupings, it just wastes ammo, your not going to find a .22 that isn't rusted to shit for less than 150, you can get a nice bulk fill CO2 airgun for 110 shipped, and the .22 is at best 4CPR, wheras with my airgun including the cost of gas and nice pellets is 1.3CPR even less if you go with a pump, plus OP would have to pay range fees which are easliy 15-20$ an hour which make a .22 rise in cost exponentially with use.
>>
>>35031036
OK let's say your magic $90 marlin exists.
What about shipping
What about ffl transfers
What about ammo

.22 pellets are even cheaper and you can get the airgun right to your door with no ffl for often $100 (don't know where you pulled $130 from)
>>
>>35031095
>>35031085
No
>>
File: 1480604059401.jpg (237KB, 598x792px) Image search: [Google]
1480604059401.jpg
237KB, 598x792px
>>35031491
Wrong
>>
do air rifles work undrwater?
>>
>>35032353
With a CO2 or PCP gun probably but the hammer will likely be slowed down so less gas would be released than normal but you could compensate with a stronger spring and with a pumped one you'd have the same issue except you would have to pump it above water since it isn't compressible

But out of interest why?
>>
>>35032409
Curiosity
I have an AR lying around, wonder how I could make the co2 more powerful actually
>>
>>35032446
you could convert it to regulated pcp and run at around 900-1100 psi which is a tad above what CO2 is at at 800psi, but you risk the gun not being designed to handle it.
>>
>>35031491
>>35031036

I should also clarify that there's a difference between a BB/Airgun and a Pellet rifle, the BB gun shoots steel balls out of an smoothbore barrel so it's rather inaccurate, whereas the Pellet Rifle shoots skirted lead pellets out of a rifled barrel, people here are often using Pellet rifle and "Airgun" interchangeably but manufacturers often refer to BB guns and Air-rifles as the same thing so it's a bit confusing.
>>
>>35034142
And they're as expensive as a marlin 60!
>>
>>35034506
They can be had cheaper, and they don't need a range fee.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.