[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this shitty, unreliable rifle so popular and what's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11

File: top.jpg (107KB, 1400x425px) Image search: [Google]
top.jpg
107KB, 1400x425px
Why is this shitty, unreliable rifle so popular and what's the best semi .22 lr rifle out there?
>>
>>34997373
You just posted it.
>>
>>34997373
Marlin 60
>>
>>34997381
Fpbp
>>
>>34997373
2000+ rounds no issue with aguila and stock mags.Takedown is lighter but the OG is treating me well. Just buy a gun already!
>>
>>34997373
it just werks
>>
>>34997373
Ruger is basically best company in the world at .22lr. Dunno why you're so mad, using shit ammo? shit 22LR is an order of magnitude more shit than other calibers.
>>
>>34997373
I don't know what some people are doing with theirs, but I have only had consistent failures to extract when I let it get REALLY dirty from shooting bulk ammo. Otherwise it simply does not give a fuck what I feed it.
>>
>>34997373
The only time my 10/22 was unreliable was right after my dad gave it to me.

It had been sitting in a basement for 20 years, the magazine was fucked up somehow, and I'm pretty sure we were shooting shitty ammo.

One thorough cleaning and a new box magazine and it's been fine ever since.
>>
>>34997373
CZ 452/CZ 455 with CCI ammo
>>
.22LR M200 Cheytac Intervention
>>
>>34997612
that is incredibly silly
>>
>>34997384
Yup. Out of the box I'd take Marlins. The Huntsville guns are actually alright in my limited experience.

The 10/22 is a nifty magazine and good receiver/barrel interface concept that comes with a mediocre rifle.

If you want a 10/22 the best thing to do is pick up a stripped receiver and build it yourself from aftermarket parts. Ruger receivers are available on Gunbroker, or obviously there's Nodak/Kidd etc.
>>
Decent factory variety & modularity and extensive aftermarket options.

.22lr is intended by GodMan for manual actions. And suppression.

What's best (semi)... What works and you can afford/acquire that is minute of squirrel. Non-answer, I know, but still best answer.
>>
Or... Be real American. Buy Henry.
STFU and be happy.
>>
>>34997373
What's so fucking unreliable? Are you a huge shitter
>>
>>34997373
Its not the gun, its your ammo that makes it shitty.
>>
>>34997894
or mags, there's a lot of shitty aftermarket mags because of Bitch Billy.
>>
I love my savage model 64. Only complaint is there are no larger magazines available for it.
>>
>>34997970
Honestly, the BX-25s aren't much better.

Best 10/22 mags are TacInc
>>
>>34998197
...or you could stick with the OEM 10 round mags and not have a problem.

No, you should not be playing tacticool oper8hur wannabe with a .22. No, there's no reason to ever use a 25rd mag in a .22lr. No, it doesn't look cool.
>>
Its modularity made the ar what it is today
>>
>>34997581
Same. Mine starts complaining around 1500 rounds worth of aguila. It will also complain if the recoil spring gets sandy, but it still works under these conditions. Definitely the AK of 22LR rifles
>>
File: 1388014370960.jpg (567KB, 1861x1806px) Image search: [Google]
1388014370960.jpg
567KB, 1861x1806px
>>34998464
>reason
>>
>>34998464
> There's no reason to ever use a magazine over 1 round
Eat shit you enormous faggot
>>
>>34997594
Yeah I've got three 10/22s, two take downs, and two ruger Americans.

Shitty ammo in aftermarket mags have been the only issues I've had, and it's clear when its the case as the out of spec ammo usually has issues loading into mags.
>>
File: are you fucking kidding me.jpg (12KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
are you fucking kidding me.jpg
12KB, 184x184px
>>34998464
Ghost of Bill Ruger pls go
>>
File: H001L-large.jpg (314KB, 2460x683px) Image search: [Google]
H001L-large.jpg
314KB, 2460x683px
.22lr is a weak round that just barely kinda-sorts has enough oomph to cycle semiautos. As one anon said, it's really best left to manual actions where that's not a problem. I ended up selling my 10/22 so I could buy pic related, and I'm frankly way happier with it. No more worries about whether my .22 rifle will cycle this or that ammo - as long as that lever swill swings, it'll take whatever I feed it just fine.
>>
Is there any value in getting a bolt action 22 like a CZ452 or an older Marlin other than fun?
10/22s and Model 60s seem like they're the same price or even cheaper than bolt actions, only they're semi.
>>
As much as I like my the 10/22 it is a really outdated design. It's has so many quirks and odd design choices like the shitty sight position, sloppy mag release, no last bolt hold open, can't slingshot bolt release. I could go on forever. I wish ruger would come out with a modern version of the 10/22 with modern features and controls but it will probably never happen since the huge aftermarket fixes all of these problems and no one is going to want to make the leap. It's pretty much the skyrim of guns.
>>
>>34997624
tahts the fun part about .22s though. there are so many companies that make their high end guns in .22 so we can get the same feel of the gun at a fraction of the price.
>>
File: G3622.jpg (209KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
G3622.jpg
209KB, 1600x900px
>>34998464
or ya know...it's fun.
>>
>>35002303
Yeah, and it's night and day from my Mini-14 where all the design choices are logical. You can tell that Bill really matured as a gun designer in the nine years between the release of the two rifles.
>>
>>35002207
Accuracy, bolt-actions seat the cartridge in the chamber more consistently and firmly.

I would also argue that a bolt-action is safer for teaching a child how to shoot. Closing the action to chamber a round is a very deliberate act that, unlike a semi-auto which immediately loads the next round. Its also easy to tell at a glance if the action is open and chamber empty.
>>
>>35002418
>>35002207
There's tons of other equal-to-bolt accurate lock designs though, pumps or lever guns are great. You can also potentially disable the gas system in your semi-auto and turn it into something closer to a straight pull bolt.
>>
>>35002464
>You can also potentially disable the gas system
>direct blowback .22lr
>disable the gas system
>direct blowback
>gas system
>disable
>blowback

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you
>>
>>35002630
wasnt specifically talking about a 22lr gas system, just actions. I don't think it would be IMPOSSIBLE to make one though
>>
>>34998464
You don't need more than 1 HP Vehicle

You don't need a car, you have working legs.

You don't need air conditioning, you have sweat glands and fans.

You don't need a telephone, you have smoke signals.

Kill Yo Sewf
>>
File: h001.jpg (16KB, 1000x277px) Image search: [Google]
h001.jpg
16KB, 1000x277px
>>34997845
true dat. They're laser accurate and a total riot to shoot. Subsonic .22 shorts are also way more fun than they should be.
>>
>>35004957
>>35002169
How much
>>
>>35002303
No one gives a fuck about your faggy little opinion, learn to use the rifle how it comes or just off yourself with it
>>
>>35004982
I paid $270 for mine out the door, bought it at an Army PX so I didn't have to pay sales tax.

They're a little more than a 10/22 but price-wise pretty on part with most other rifles. Henry's .22s have Zamak recievers (but a lot of other people use that for .22s as well), but they also use really nice walnut and the finish is beautiful. And you can't be the action. It's like butter straight out of the box. You can fit 15 rounds of LR and around 21-22 of Short in the full-size rifle.

Henry makes a ton of different editions so you can get something that suits you if the plain jane don't do it for you.

...god I sound like a shill. I just really like the rifle. Every time I pick it up i feel like I'm 12 again and in my backyard shooting cans with my bb gun.
>>
>>35005041
Fuck that may be too out of my price range.

I want to get into shooting and love lever stuff
>>
>>34997373
10/22 are great...when you replace all of the internals.

Hoenstly the receiver and barrel is the only stock parts left on mine.

I know most people replace their barrel as the first upgrade but the Ruger CHF barrels don't get enough credit for being good out of the box.
>>
>>35005055
Lever gun masterrace 4 lyfe
save your shekels and get one anon. you'll be glad you did. They're a lot cheaper than any other lever .22 out there right now.
>>
>>35005074
Hnng I want it

Side note.
How exactly does buying a gun work? Like if I were to buy on gunbroker or armslist, what would I need to do to be legal and how much does that add to the cost? How does that compare to going to a lgs? Will they stock golden boy?
>>
>>35005123
>>35005074

I thought golden boy was just the general name. Now I see there are tons of names
>>
The best rifle is the Ruger 10-22
Best pistol is probably a Ruger too.
>>
>>34997612
jesus christ, look at that bolt, looks like an asian dick in a magnum condom
>>
File: 51111---M1600-SA.jpg (419KB, 1800x1197px) Image search: [Google]
51111---M1600-SA.jpg
419KB, 1800x1197px
are these shit?
>>
>>35005123
like I said, save your shekels. Your patience will pay off and you'll be glad you did.

Alternately, you could go to Cabela's and put one on layaway and pay it off over 2 months.

when you buy a gun online, they ship it to an LGS of your choosing and you pick the gun up there. Usually you pay a transfer fee (under $30 seems normal) and state sales tax on top of it. Buying online is usually a better deal if you have a good LGS that doesn't charge much for transfers or live in a state with low sales tax. If the deal is right, it still could end up being cheaper than an LGS. You've kind of gotta shop around both online and IRL to see who's got the best deals. And Golden Boys aren't too hard to find, especially at the big box stores like Dick's, BassPro, or Cabela's. But you can find them online if your LGS doesn't have one.
>>
>>35005189
They def look like shit jesus christ
>>
>>35005160
yeah, Golden Boys are the ones with brass recievers. They look kind of gaudy in pictures but classy as fuck in real life. I'd never get one of those because I know how rough I am on my guns and I'd probably never take it out of the safe because I don't want to ruin the finish.

I'm lusting after that Evil Roy edition though.
>>
>>35005189
>kill...meeeeee
>>
File: IMG_0522.jpg (1MB, 2408x3241px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0522.jpg
1MB, 2408x3241px
Was going to get a 10/22 for my plinker (far from my first rifle though) but I went with the American Rimfire with the threaded barrel instead. Really glad I did. I love bolt guns and I love cylcling the bolt and watching the casing fly out with a trail of smoke. What's more fun than a bolt gun that you can shoot indoors all you want without paying 50+ cents a round every time you want to shoot it (although I guess there are some .223 bolt guns too). I take this thing out in between each gun switch just to pop off rounds for the hell of it.

I don't know why bolt action .22s aren't more popular. They much more fun. More reliable and easier to clean too.
>>
>>35005252
there's something about a manual-action rifle that's just fun. It's kind of like a stick-shift car...you have to interface with the machine and really learn its ins and outs in order to get the best performance out of it.
>>
>>34997373
>so popular

Goes bang bang bang. Endless fun. The end
>>
>>35005189
I've heard they're not as bad as they look. Like high velocity ammo like most crappy .22 lr rifles.
Fun fact, the stock is (or at least used to be) just black painted mahogany.
Strip it and refinish, you'll be left with. . . Certainly something.
I want one for entirely irrational reasons
>>
>>35005189
>>
>>35005200
>state sales tax on top of it
That's not universal. I think only CA & WA do it.
>>
>>35005550
Well, I live in WA so that explains why that's all I know
>>
>>34997384
This, I've got two and I love them both, they're dead accurate out of the box, simple, no detachable mags to fuck with and are CHEAP AF. The only issues I've ever had was with those cheap shit Remington bullets leaving tons of unburned mystery material in the action. The only bonus I've ever felt the 10/22 had was the bottom of the action being open and thus easier to dump out junk. Though on the flip side it's easier to get shit in it, however it's a .22 not a tacticool operator gun.
>>
>>35005252
Thats the same model american rimfire im looking to get. Anything you dont like about it?
>>
I love my 10/22s, but I have a lot more fun shooting my 455 or various .22 caliber levergats.
>>
>>35005183
and he knows how this looks like...why...
>>
i want a bolt action, or break action .22 smoothbore for plinking and "firing random shit" out of the barrel, like marshmellows and peanuts

how fudd am i. this would be my first gun. im seeing examples for about 200 new
>>
>>35007280
That seems like a really dumb idea.... get a muzzle loader to make it even more awesome.
>>
>>34997393
He never said "first gun"
>>
>>35007291
i was also looking into this, and the recommendations were a Pietta Model 1858. allegedly, the cheapest not shit pistol with no requirements to get into, and i like the idea. i feel ill spend more time fucking with the gun then really firing it
>>
>>35007303
OUTSIDE of the ammo, loading, all that. im basically in hawaii, and my options are limited as all hell. if this is fun ill attempt to get a gun license
>>
>>35005200
>>35005123
In most free states, you only pay sales tax if the firearm you're buying is from that state. There are lots of garage FFL's anymore that'll do a transfer for $25-$30, also call up pawn shops that sell guns and see what their prices are, they're usually much cheaper than gun stores. I'd say a good rule of thumb for gunbroker is to add $60 for shipping/FFL just to be on the safe side. Also add up to a couple weeks before you get your gun, as most shippers on gunbroker are not Amazon.

Unless you're buying used or the gunbroker seller is letting a gun go for a steep discount, call up some LGS's and see what price they'll do you on your desired firearm. I've found a newer gun shop run by younger folk will be more willing to price match and do a better deal, where the established stores/chains will fuck your unbleached beef whistle every chance they get.
>>
>>35007307
Black powder guns are usually under different laws than conventional firearms, so it's easier to get stuff for them.
>>
>>35007347
hence the reason i was interested. if i thought bp was fun, then, move up. if it isnt, sell it for half quickly and recoup said cost fast. even out here its a non-firearm as far as i understood, even if it would piss off anyone who cared
>>
>>35005041
$270 is a good price for a 22 Henry.
>>
>>35007357
also fudd tier, im interested in short barrel anything and its totally no go here in this state, except.....bp. i could own a 4 inch bp double barrel here no issue, just 1000 bucks to enter it and ruin a grand gun for kicks. ehhh
>>
>>35007364
Yeah I was pretty stoked when I saw it on sale
>>
>>35006722
Adjusting the sights is kind of a pain in the ass. Mine didn't shoot straight out of the box so I had to do some adjustments. I don't think the sights are any different than a 10/22 though.

Also I don't think it likes Federal American Eagle ammo, which is a shame because that's what I have a giant brick of. My Savage Mark II (which I sold because it was 9 fucking pounds) shot it just fine.

The bolt might feel sticky at first but it smooths out over break in time.
>>
>>35005189
>rock island
Does Ian know about this abomination?
>>
>>35007848
>>34997373

where can i get a pump action 22 rifle for cheap
I MEAN CHEAP
CHEAP CEHAP CEHEAP HEAP
>>
>>35008430
what
>>
>>35007364
niope
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.