[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>A few friends from school talk about how they want to be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: original.jpg (1MB, 4256x2454px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
1MB, 4256x2454px
>A few friends from school talk about how they want to be in the military
>that is the first thing they tell anyone who they meet
>Realize no one that wants to be any other profession does that, but whatever
>it's all they talk about and it's getting annoying
>after we graduate I keep in touch with them
>it turns out they actually went through with it and are interested in the marines
>still endlessly talking about it like it makes them special
>figure after basic training they would be humbled and stop acting like retards
>after basic it just gets worse
>now they all talk about how they are above "the sheep" and how they are "the wolves"
>apparently they use those phrases whenever they get into any kind of argument or disagreement as if that makes them win
>they haven't even actually done anything yet

Do all people who go through with training act like this? Because they are the worst to deal with

Within a minute of meeting someone it's always "Oh yeah, and I'm in the military" as if anyone cares
>>
>>34990445
>yfw the guy behind you pukes all over your back
>>
They're called boots, and their motivation is sapped out of them soon enough if they actually join. Those who don't gain 50 lbs after graduation and become volunteer firefighters.
>>
>>34990459
>Not strategically being in 4th element so that you can't be puked on after PT
>>
>>34990445

Because our national narrative makes us treat service men like heroes, we call them veterans regardless of their involvement in conflict. Your friends like many others have gulped down this story and now think they are special just because they volunteered to be welfare queens.

Countries that have career soldiers don't have this issue.
>>
File: IMG_3751.jpg (19KB, 560x292px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3751.jpg
19KB, 560x292px
>>34990480
>>34990445
>be in high school
>half of class boasting about enlisting in the Army afterward
>leave high school
>go to college
>become officer innanavy
>visit family back home
>"anon, we're making pancakes for breakfast but we're out of eggs"
>run into town for poultry ovulations
>former classmate bags my groceries
>>
File: 1442436995315.jpg (58KB, 722x349px) Image search: [Google]
1442436995315.jpg
58KB, 722x349px
>>34990599
I actually feel bad about this. A lot of those guys were my friends and they're not bad people, just really really dumb. But I guess it's not like they're starving or something, they just don't have any ambition and they're content.
Also this chick who was a super cute and petite in high school is now fat and works in a local diner.

If I fell to their level my self-awareness would probably prompt me to kill myself.
>>
>>34991601
Oh definitely. Most of them weren't bad guys, and the realization that they'll likely be stuck in that town for the rest of their life was pretty fucking depressing. Or at least it would be to me.
>>
Glad I live in the north-east were a city or big town is only a short-ish drive from my small town so I'm not stuck choosing between a dead-end town job or living in the city.
>>
>>34990599
What kind of officer are you? I'm a college junior gunning for aviation.
>>
>>34992027
Aviation myself. Keep yourself sharp in academics, don't do anything that'll fuck up your hearing and vision in the meantime, and stay decently fit. Running in Florida sucks enough as it is.
>>
>>34992314
Roger that. How long ago did you take the ASTB? For some reason, that's the step that gives me the heebie-jeebies.
>>
>>34990445
I feel like 90% of the people I know that joined did it so they could put it in their IG bio/upload pics and get one of those Vet license plates.
>>
>>34992364
Couple years back, and don't worry, I flipped out about it as well. It might have changed since I took it, but mathematics and science were easier than I expected, and reading comprehension tests your ability to pick relevant information out of larger texts quickly. As long as you prepare for it and take a look at some of the guides out there, it's not bad.
>>
Sounds like he's just a fucking retard. There are retards everywhere. Only a few are like that.
>>
>>34992419
I got a study guide and have been going through it periodically. Did you take the joystick/throttle and UAV heading tests? Those seem pretty tricky.
>>
>>34992453
This is a group of people who are doing this, they came up with the sheep and wolves thing themselves and use it constantly amongst themselves
>>
>>34992472
Yup. Joystick throttle gets pretty hectic towards the end, but it doesn't seem to be graded as heavily as the other sections. UAV headings, you'll probably mess up a few in the beginning, but once you get your bearings you'll be figuring them out at a glance pretty easily.
>>
>>34992593
>Joystick throttle gets pretty hectic towards the end, but it doesn't seem to be graded as heavily as the other sections.

Because the test starts having you press buttons for "emergency procedures?" I managed to find flashcards online for the UAV portion. Both sections give you a practice portion, right?

Beyond that, I'm puzzled by the trait facet portion. I guess the only "solution" is to answer as honestly as possible.

Thanks for your answers, by the way.
>>
>>34990445
>marines
Every time
>>
>>34990445
>Marines
>"Basic training"

Try again civilian.
>>
It's so bad during basic. All of these kids get egos and shit. You gotta remind em that they ain't shit. I hated everyone I went with.
>>
>>34992638
Yeah there's practice portions. Always glad to help out. See you in the fleet, hopefully.
>>
Sure I'll thank a veteran for serving and I've always wanted to though I can't. Get out and see other towns feed off the military industrial complex and possibly get killed in the line of duty. That's the life, too bad I dropped out.

The worst people are the valor stealers, fuck those guys.
>>
>>34991601
>>34991639

Sometimes you realize a quiet life is an option. Some go for that option, not out of lack of skill but for love of a quiet life.

Sure, you'll never get beheaded by a random Arab or see the world, but I can't find fault in their choice. Better than being a basement dweller, at least.
>>
>>34993787
I can understand that, and small town life is the kind of thing I want to settle into eventually. My reason for joining is that there's a lot to see and do in this world before I get to that, though. Everyone's different, got different dreams and desires, no sense faulting anyone for it.
>>
File: 1496550357395.png (18KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1496550357395.png
18KB, 633x758px
>Thought about joining the military after graduation
>Friend ended up enlisting in the army
>That was immediately after high school, about 3 years ago
>Meanwhile I'm still in college and need only 3 more semesters (including the one I'm currently in) to graduate
>Don't know who's going to have it worse in a year, me or him
>>
>>34994082
dont hold it against yourself. You aren't missing anything lol
>>
>>34990445

my dad used the word "Sheepdog" before I left for OSUT and it was at that time that I truly realized he had no idea
>>
>>34990445
shut up sheep
>>
>>34990540
found the coward who never joined the military
>>
>>34992370
bullshit
>>
>>34990445
Few years in they'll change there tone.

Gungho Itis from Basic and AIT. They'll be telling you how much they hate it there and when they're gonna leave. If you really hate them, convince them now to sign on some re enlistment.
>>
>>34990445
nah my buddy joined the marines because it was a better option than suicide. he went in an alcoholic and came home a worse alcoholic. now with papa daddy gubmint to take care of him forever.
>>
>>34990445
Assuming they aren't complete retarded, they'll calm down in a few months after they realize just how soul sucking the military is. For now they're still just fresh out of basic and still full of themselves even though they haven't done shit.

Also if they still act like dicks about being in the service after a year they're garbage people and you shouldn't bother with them.
>>
>>34990480
Fucking kek.
I wish I could frame your post on my wall.

My younger brother was gung-ho his whole life, but never joined. He currently pushes 290lbs and is a volunteer firefighter. Graduated HS in 2016. Sad sack of shit, and I laugh.
>>
>>34990445
>>34997232
^This guy gets it. You feel pretty proud coming out of whatever your initial training with your lowly McDonald's ribbon having been spoon fed a heavy does of 'murica kool-aid.

Soon they will become salty and realize 9 times out of 10 the military is really not very fun.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.