[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greetings /k/. I'm new to the gun ownership world. I come

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: simple-iron-sight-this.jpg (37KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
simple-iron-sight-this.jpg
37KB, 600x450px
Greetings /k/. I'm new to the gun ownership world. I come from California and am looking for a fantastic long range rifle I can use for hunting and "defense of the homeland" situations. A semiautomatic is out of the question at this moment because of the political situation here, and we can't hunt here with semiautomatic rifles anyways, so I'm essentially stuck with a colt action rifle for this task until I move out of state in a few years.

TL;DR
>What's a good long range bolt action rifle for hunting and '''tactical''' situations, available in a common caliber? (nothing exotic like .338 Lapua or .408 Cheytac, I have to actually be able to find the ammo, and preferably not at $90 a box)
>>
bolt action*, not colt action.
>>
Why do you need a long range rifle to kill yourself?
>>
File: i3AtxWf.jpg (49KB, 640x361px) Image search: [Google]
i3AtxWf.jpg
49KB, 640x361px
>>34986177
>need
I see you haven't been posting here very long
>>
>>34986150

Ruger RPR in whatever caliber you want.
>>
>>34986250
answer the question
>>
>>34986253
>>34986150

Just get a good scope, bipod, and mount. Then just get quality ammo. It's a bit heavy for a hunting rifle, but for long range shooting and any sort of 'tactical' applications, it'll do.
>>
>>34986256
Stop being retarded
>>
>>34986253
how does it compare to say a Remington 700, Weatherby Vanguard, or Savage 100?
>>
buy all the ammo online that you can afford before the end of the year.
>>
>>34986281
I've been advised by my local gun store guys to just start reloading as well as buying bulk ammo. Which isn't a problem as I have a job that can support my motorcycle, my guns, my truck, and my bills until I move to Texas.

That said, common calibers are a must considering one gun scare can make all the ammo in every store disappear at the blink of an eye and it won't be in stock for an undetermined amount of time which really sucks because ammo goes quick.
>>
>>34986150
They're all 'long range,' OP. I recommend any modern bolt action .223 with a removeable magazine, like a Savage. Put a Burris scope on it, they are nice and bright and guaranteed for life. Then practice. When you can hit a paper plat 10 times out of 10 at 100 yards offhand, then you can start worrying about 'long range accuracy.'
>>
>>34986281
Also, the background check bill was pushed back until either july 2018 or early 2019.
>>
>>34986310
I already have a Saiga .223. What large caliber rifle rounds would you recommend? I'm leaning 30.06 or 300WM but I'm not 100% sure yet
>>
>>34986277
Speaking from owning The savage 10 and the Rem 700

The RPR kicks their ass stock rifle.

The Rem has an edge in aftermarket, but by that time you've passed the RPR in cost.
And you will not be happy with it until you've spend again what it cost to buy the weapon, even then you probably won't be ecstatic.

Savage is a good starter rifle if you are a "sunday shooter" and don't go shooting every week (more than 5K rounds a year). They are decent rifles... but they do not hold up well long term.

Since you're new to shooting, and therefore long range shooting, I would caution you on getting a large caliber rifel right off the bat , and suggest finding a good .22LR rifle to learn on (Shooting .22lr at 300 yards is (somehwat) ballistically proportional to shooting .308 At 1000 yards)

Also. What sort of distance are you looking to shoot? As it will influence my next suggestions. An over all budget would be cool too.
>>
>>34986332
and the RPR***
>>
>>34986281
I would have figured her as the sort to wear a skimpier two-piece in order to attract black guys. Maybe she keeps her BBC addition on the down-low.
>>
>>34986332
I'm looking to shoot 500-800 yards. Budget is $2K. Looking to have add a full size rifle caliber to my closet in large part to contribute more to my family as I live with my parents and my sister's family are in the same neighborhood so I'm not looking for a .22LR this moment especially since it's very limited in its capabilities beyond plinking. Versatility and availability of caliber type weigh heavy here.
>>
>>34986318
I recommend you scope and shoot the Saiga until you can hit paper plates routinely offhand, OFFHAND NOT ON A SANDBAG, THERE ARE NO SANDBAGS IRL at a hundred yards. Which is where 90%+ of all gunfights occur and game is taken.

If you *must* have something bigger, get something mild and commonplace.The .308 springs to mind. Stay away from magnums. They are expensive and scarce and they hurt. Fuck the paper ballistics; get something user- and pocketbook-friendly.
>>
>>34986408
Standard caliber would be .308 for availability and cost.

The Fn- TSR might be a way to go if you can find one, or the PBR/ SPR if you wanna go that way. They are nice as I have shot all three well.
Or the Winchester m70 super

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_61/products_id/93749/WGUN+535203220+M70+SUPER+308

Other than Sako/ Weatherby / CZ usa and Tikka are places to nose around too.

Don't skimp on the optics and mounts.
>>
File: long range infograph1.png (281KB, 1588x2344px) Image search: [Google]
long range infograph1.png
281KB, 1588x2344px
made this so i could be lazy but still answer the same question repeatedly.
>>
>>34986150
>we can't hunt here with semiautomatic rifles anyways,

Bullshit. You're either abyssmally stupid or a troll.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=419315
>>
>>34986150
superman
>>
>>34986150
You can both buy and hunt with semiauto rifles here just fine. A Mini-14 is a great gun for SHTF, and a Mini-30, SKS, or M1A are good choices if you want a heavier caliber. All are 100% California legal.

If you want a bolt gun, a Savage Axis or Ruger American are good choices. Also, you could consider a lever-action like the Henry Long Ranger if you like.
>>
Sako 85 Carbonlight in 6.5x55, .30-06, .300 WM or 9.3x62.
Carry it for fuckin days without feeling shit, it's so light and handy.
>Tactical solutions
Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, I guess. You've really made some bad decisions if you're fighting off ATF/Nazis/Commies/North Koreans/rabid looters/FEMA death squads with a bolt action, so you might really want to go a few rounds with yourself about how important this is to you.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.