[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do shotguns REALLY have a place in the modern age? its kind of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: boomboomjapan.png (3MB, 1920x1029px) Image search: [Google]
boomboomjapan.png
3MB, 1920x1029px
Do shotguns REALLY have a place in the modern age? its kind of a barbaric weapon

i mean, why not just get an ar 15? cheap and much more versatile

we're talking pure autismal practicality here not preferences, obviously those vary
>>
>>34977034

Shotguns with breaching shells are great for making entry. Pretty lightweight for a breaching tool.
>>
File: iac-982-shotgun11.jpg (61KB, 1200x312px) Image search: [Google]
iac-982-shotgun11.jpg
61KB, 1200x312px
WWI German GTFO. Also, shotguns have a variety of loads that make it a good utilitarian tool for many uses.

Hunting: Loads for shooting birds and varmints to taking on bear and bucks.

Military/Police: Less lethal loads for crowd control and neutralizing single targets without killing them. Loads for breaching doors and busting up walls. #4 or 00 Buck for Close Quarter (up to 50 yards) combat.

They serve as tools more than anything.
>>
>Barbaric
Anything can be made out to be barbaric.

>Pure autismal practicality
Shotguns are superior for duck, waterfowl, and most other things that fly. As well as trap shooting.

They're also better for turkey. Easier to get a hit without ruining the meat, because they're dense little fuckers.

Cheaper than building an AR in .50 Beowulf or the like if you want to shoot big fuckoff slugs at things.

They are also, in some areas, the only weapon you can take most game with with - or there are shotgun only seasons. So legally, they're mandatory.

Also cheaper than your barebones AR if you want long gun lethality in home defense. Yes "MUH MAG CAPACITY MUH WOUND VECTORS MUH ATTACHMENTS MUH HANDLING" still applies, and ARs are undoubtedly superior for the job. But shotguns are still "good enough", and are cheaper for those on a budget.

>BUT IF YOU WOULDN'T SAVE UP ANOTHER COUPLE HUNDRED DOLLARS TO BUY AN AR THEN YOU DON'T VALUE YOUR LIFE SELL YOUR GUNS YOU SHOULDN'T OWN THEM
Neck yourself.
>>
>>34977147
i want to be a shotgun main in this life MMO is that still valid or was there a nerf
>>
>>34977147
And if you want to talk about how AR has better versatility, I would agree with >>34977136 in that the shotgun is probably more versatile... on a budget.

If you want to do a different load or whatever in your AR, you have to buy a whole new BCG and upper and barrel and all that great stuff.

Shotguns, it's as simple as changing out your ammo. Or maybe putting on ONE other barrel, if you want to shoot slugs.

You can take everything from squirrels to bears with shotguns for much cheaper than if you went and made a couple different ARs to do that - or one AR with a bunch of different uppers. It may not be /ideal/, but it will do the job.

And shot is still superior for small targets and flying things, at least in the ease of use category. You can make your AR tack driving accurate, yeah, which will cost you. But the shotgun's spread is more forgiving, if you need your AR to drive tacks to do the job then YOU need to put in the range time to be able to drive tacks too.
>>
What do you practice with a shotgun if accuracy is so inconsistent?
>>
>>34977147
Also overpenetration might be a concern with an AR.
Shotguns are also cheap as hell for a decent one, and have very few operational issues.

You can also load any kind of round along with flares and shit.
>>
>>34977034
>shotguns are barbaric
t. buttblasted kraut
We kicked your asses in the 1910s, we did it in the 40s, and with any luck we will
D O
I T
A G A I N
As soon as we find someone with the balls Harris had.
>>
>>34977034
Sounds like someone's butthurt how their great granpappy got shot by one fighting Americans in the Great War.
>>
>>34977034
If you want versatile go with an AK, at least you can hunt things bigger than a groundhog with it.

Yeah shotguns are shit but it's fun to shoot guns where you have to manually load the rounds, and ones with a lot of recoil.
>>
>>34977560
Nigga...shotguns can take down a polar bear. It doesn't get much larger than that
>>
>>34977209
lols. how about shooting moving targets? Have you never played clays... name another shooting sport where you track moving targets.
>>
>>34977147
Shotguns are far more lethal than ARs at the ranges I would use one. Which would be the distance across my largest room. I have an AR, and AK, but if I had to defend my home, I would grab my pump or auto shotgun.
>>
>>34977034
ARs are cheaper?

OP, a good pump action shotgun wont go you over 400 bucks. You can get a Maverick 88 for 220 bucks if you're feeling particularly cheap, and that's still a decent shotgun. You can get a POS Stevens for even less than that if you NEED to be cheap as fuck.

On top of that, you can kill practically anything with a shotgun. Not exactly the ideal long range, or combat weapon, but they'll kill a human easy at close-medium ranges, and they're great for taking game of all kinds and leaving you usable meat.

I might want an AR-15 or an AK if I was going into WWIII, but if I was going into the woods to survive and could only have ONE gun, I'd take a shotgun.
>>
>>34977560
Damn nigga, try sounding more fucking retarded. You can hunt big game with a shotgun, easy peasy. Especially seeing as 95+% of all big game kills are within 100 yards.
>>
>>34977034
Shotguns just werk
>>
File: 1494522569627.png (336KB, 940x612px) Image search: [Google]
1494522569627.png
336KB, 940x612px
Oh boy, another daily shotgun hate thread.
Reliable pump actions are cheap and get the job done. You can get babby's first AR for a touch more - an arguably better self-defense weapon - but some people prefer the diversity of loads and applications (e.g., waterfowl hunting) a shotgun offers.
>>
>>34977560
>hunt things bigger than a groundhog

If you had to kill a bear, a shotgun with slugs would be much more effective and humane than any AK.
>>
>>34977034
You shoot ducks and pigeons with your AR?
>>
>>34977034
Do we REALLY have to have this thread 3 times a week?
>>
>>34977034
>34977034

12ga shotguns are for real men. A real man, who does things men do, will have a 12 ga shotgun by his bedside. Only a mentally ill ladyboy doesn't own a shotgun and doesn't respect it's many uses and versatility.
>>
>>34978768
K doesnt hunt, and when they do its fuddly elk bullshit.
>>
>we're talking pure autismal practicality
in that case shotguns are better even for the sole reason that can be loaded with anything as long as it fits in the shell
>>
File: images (6).jpg (16KB, 804x183px) Image search: [Google]
images (6).jpg
16KB, 804x183px
They are a utilitarian tool.

Unlike an ar15
>>
>versatile
>plenty of ammo laying around in a SHTF scenario
>just plain fucking cool

Why wouldn't you want one? The second point could be argued for ARs, 9mm pistols, and .38 and .357 revolvers but you get an all in one package with the shotgun as numerous anons have already stated.
>>
>>34977034
>more veratile
Heres where /k/ is going to hate me: the post.

Shotguns are literally better than .22's and AR's for a lot of reasons.
>more variety of ammo
There are hand reloadable brass shells and you can keep powder, lead, and primer in empty shells.

>HD/Big Game/Firefight
Yes it can do all three and take on small game.

>muh carrying capacity of .22/.223
Yeah but buckshot is multiple projectiles launched at once, meaning you have a higher chance of hitting something(s) with more force. Also you're not going to be shooting all the time innawoods/city. You will find other sources of food and will probably trade for things you need.

As awesome as the AR is it stands no match against a shotgun in versatility. You can get a longer slug barrel for mid range and it's not as difficult as installing a new upper or barrel in an AR.

The shotgun is the poor mans gun, but it's also the survivalist gun. The bullshit bullet physics about .22 bouncing around or 5.56 destabilizing and causing more damage is the equivalent of pure luck. Yes an AR has range over a shotgun but you just have to choose where you fight (Sun Tzu said that) if you fight at all.

The .22 excels as a learning cartridge. The .223 excels at being a good cartridge you can carry a lot of. The AR excels at being the most customizable rifle to date.

The shotgun excels at keeping you alive and giving a big fuck you to whoever gets close.
>>
>>34978907
> you just have to choose where you fight (Sun Tzu said that) if you fight at all.

This.
Don't be a fool. If raiders or whatever are an issue then bait them or something instead of playing their game. Having an AR isn't necessarily going to save you. Not inherently.
>>
Why is someone trying to shit on shotguns so hard this week?
>>
>not wanting to hit someone with 9 1200fps .30cal projectiles at once
>not wanting the best exit button for if shit has hit the fan a little too hard and you can't go on any longer
>not wanting the best pet euthanasia device on hand for all of life's euthanizing needs
>not wanting one to preserve as a piece of history
>>
Shotguns are antiquated in sense mostly because of the action. The fact is that short-shucking, reloading, and clearing malfunctions under duress has plagued the platform since it was created. In terms of shooting people who are potentially shooting back at you, nothing beats the simplicity of a semi auto rifle fed from box magazines. You can have an unloaded weapon become a loaded weapon in a very short amount of time and with very little manual interaction.

In terms of hunting, taking birds is a utility for sure. For taking deer, 5.56 and 7.62 will do just as well or better than buckshot depending on range.

For breaching, I feel most normal people don't understand the context very well. People who breach with shotguns in today's world have at least 5 dudes standing behind them with rifles for a reason. Also, shotguns are the noisiest and most collateral damage heavy manner of entering a building and aren't used the vast majority of the time.

They certainly have a purpose, but they are jack of all trades, master of none imho. They are cheap and ammo is plentiful, but that doesn't make them something they aren't. If you simply care about prepping for crazy shit happening and only have a few hundred dollars I think a handgun has more overall utility in many ways in the shtf larping scenario everyone is jerking off to in this thread.
>>
>>34977034
I live in a neighborhood, with a roommate, a dog, and a girlfriend. I want something for home defense that will reliably put a large projectile almost all the way through your average home invader. I do not want overpenetration, I am not prepping for anyone in body armor, just your standard jiggaboos, and it's hard to beat a shotgun with 00 buck at indoor ranges for that.
>>
>>34980365
what are you talking about.
00 buck is one of the worst HD loads if you are worried about over penetration.
atleast load #4 buck.
but the 223 is one of the best when it comes to over penetration.
>>
>>34977034
For civilian ownership they're great due to versatility with various loads, choke options etc.

If you can only own one gun, it should be a shotgun.
>>
>>34980365
Jesus nigga go build a small fake wall or two maybe one with exterior siding and shoot it with 00 buck at 10 yards. You aren't helping your neighbors or roommate one bit.
>>
>>34977034
The shotgun is the only way to defend yourself in a home invasion scenario. A rifle has too high of a risk of hitting a bystander sleeping in the house across the street or in your own house.

I much prefer the shotgun. Have you ever heard of someone having to rack another shell into their shotgun after firing it at a badguy in their house? Because I haven't. It is a one and done affair.

Pic related between my nightstand and bedframe
>>
>>34981949
Shutguns are also tools. You can apply them in many ways. From loading a grapplling hook black powder round in it to scale a wall, to putting a high brass 3" slug to blow a gaping hole in a negro from 75 yards, to anti-material applications like shutting down an engine block in one shot.
>>
>>34981949
>>34980427

im a poorfag was considering getting a rifle because people say thats what you're supposed to do but maybe now ill get a shotgun and save the rifle for later?

are you supposed to use buck or slug for home defense ?
>>
>>34977147
>neck yourself
Didn't school start back up yet?
>>
File: 1503423799990.png (230KB, 726x720px) Image search: [Google]
1503423799990.png
230KB, 726x720px
>>34981972
>im a poorfag was considering getting a rifle because people say thats what you're supposed to do but maybe now ill get a shotgun and save the rifle for later?
>are you supposed to use buck or slug for home defense ?
There are a lot of schools of thought. I would say since it is a SHOTgun you should use a round with SHOT. That is its strength. You want a load with no more than 12" spread at 10 yards, which most shit falls within. If you have no one living with you use 00 Buck, if you have family consider a defense load like my shotgun has here >>34981949 which is a combo slug + 3 00 pellets. Very tight pattern of 2" spread from center at 7 yards. A little best of both worlds.

My first shot in the magazine is #9 birdshot, because likely I'll be panicked and may miss. It will eviscerate a human wearing two layers of heavy denim but not go through two layers of sheetrock. Perfect if you have loved ones in the room near the attacker.

I would personally start with a shotgun, especially if you are a white man. There are race riots breaking out all over the US. You don't want to be a victim in your home.
>>
>>34981972
slugs if you are 100% confident in your ability to aim
birdshot if you are a moron or incredibly cheap and dumb
buck for everyone else
>>
>>34977560
I'm convinced noone on this board has ever even owned guns
>>
>>34982007
>I'm convinced noone on this board has ever even owned guns
Agreed. Even high brass crazy loads are totally manageable for even inexperienced shooters out of a seemingly hard to control "shotgun" like >>34981949
>>
File: 1502986178785.jpg (23KB, 348x400px) Image search: [Google]
1502986178785.jpg
23KB, 348x400px
>>34982019
>>34982005
>>34981949
>>34981972
>>34982007
Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxECBq-f68s
>>
>>34981972
Get a mossberg 500 or 590 and never look back. You can use it for anything. Slugs for long range hunting, 00buck for defense and hunting, birdshot for drone hunting (it is fall safe, won't hurt anyone when it falls back to earth).

Good times will be had. Plus there are TONS of CRAZY mods. Including tripling magazine capacity, choking it for tighter spread (dumb), lots of mods to mount shells on the stock or side of gun, etc.

It is a platform. Can be adapted any way you need
>>
>>34977034
>>i mean, why not just get an ar 15? cheap

not $100 cheap

cool bait thread, nice 50 replies
>>
>>34982077
Yeah you can get a persuader mossberg for like 250 bux new or a remmington 870 express for 275 (both 12ga)
>>
>>34977437

>AR15
>overpenetration

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What a bunch of dumb niggers shotgun fags are...
>>
File: IMG_0930.jpg (38KB, 312x471px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0930.jpg
38KB, 312x471px
Just goes to show that /k/ is full of rangefags.
>>
>>34982317
No offense but you don't take your favorite shotgun to the range to show it off and have a little fun with friends? I know I do.
>>
>>34982303
> a .224 caliber bullet going more than twice the speed of sound has no potential to over penetrate certain barriers common in houses regardless of ammunition selection.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What a bunch of dumb niggers AR fags are...
>>
>>34983542
.223 fragments after it hits one thing
american walls are layers of sheetrock and plywood
>>
>>34977034
They both work, so use whichever one suits you.
>>
>>34982088
haha nope
maverick 88 is the best you can get
>>
>>34977560
>bigger than a groundhog with it

let's compare it to .454 Casull is commonly used in those bear defense revolvers (Ruger Super Alaskan/Toklat and such)

Buffalo Bore has a
360gr. projectile
1425 fps
Muzzle Energy (according to manufacturer)
1,678 ft. lbs

Brenneke Black Magic slugs have
1 3/8 oz projectile
1502 fps
Muzzle Energy (according to manufacturer)
3014 ft. lbs

unless groundhogs have adapted to be made of tungsten in the past few years, I think a shotgun could take anything on North America.
>>
>>34983564
>regardless of ammuniton selection
a green tip I guarantee will go straight through drywall
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.