[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is working retail at a gun store a good option for a young pup

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 3

File: fd87ab-20121019-gun-shop-owner.jpg (119KB, 1000x755px) Image search: [Google]
fd87ab-20121019-gun-shop-owner.jpg
119KB, 1000x755px
is working retail at a gun store a good option for a young pup like myself?
i'm turning 19 next month and i'm looking for a new job.
any experiences you might have?
is it comfy, or is it just as bad as any other retail job?
>>
>>34961220
It's fine. Just don't start threads on /k/ saying "I work at a gun store AMA".

It's a fucking retail job, you aren't special or more knowledge than most people here. If it pays your bills, go for it.
>>
>radio-check
>>
Retail is retail is retail is retail. Smaller shops are likely to be easier to deal with as long as your boss isnt a dickbag because they dont have some corporate desk jockey telling them to do stupid shit but most of those places dont just hire off the street. Almost every small family owned gun store ive known is ran by the family and staffed by the family and close friends. Dont expect benefits like good insurance or literally anything. The healthcare system is set up so small businesses will never afford it.

If your looking for retail in a big chain thats not worth the bureaucracy bullshit of retail. Dickbag deskjockey #487634A says you need to hit this quota of bullshit that doesnt matter or your reprimanded. You have to do THIS thing THIS way which makes no fucking sense at all and is fucking retarded because some other desk jokey thought it was a good idea.

Retail fucking sucks.
>>
File: whats goin on here.webm (2MB, 720x304px) Image search: [Google]
whats goin on here.webm
2MB, 720x304px
>>34961220
Working at your LGS is a great way to develop skills you can later use in a better job.
>>
>>34961277
What in the mother of God is this disturbing webm from?
>>
Started when I was 21 and needed something part time in college when I transferred schools, was also not looking to do any more shit with restaurants.

Turning 24 soon, working the same shop. I have kept a weekend day there this year while also working internships. I have no plans to not keep my Saturday there for the foreseeable future even when I start at a permanent position here soon.

I like my coworkers, I like my manager and GM, a lot of customers suck but I like a lot too.

Over the last 3 years the job is probably a source of net spending for me and not net income.

At this point I see it as a sort of outlet where I get to involve myself in one of my most sincere passions once a a week and get paid at least some money to do it.

Full/part time working yourself through school? Go for it. Decide you really like it and would want a management role? Maybe... but full time career as a floor employee forever? Not so sure.

I think the optimal gun counter employee from what I have seen in my shop is someone who does it because they want to, not because they need to. It insulates you from being pushy with commissions (even if you tell yourself you won't be that guy). You are happy to just talk with customers whether they are buying or not. People will like you and come back, and maybe even decide to buy something.
>>
>>34961220
I used to entertain the idea myself. Then i imagined having to deal with the average asshole under informed and over opinionated gun store clerk as a coworker or superior.

Fuckin gross.
>>
>>34961220
>is working retail at a gun store a good option for a young pup like myself?

not near me

the people working behind the counter are very knowledgable about guns, work on commission and are older

OTH work as range assistant at big shooting range you can clean guns for $15/hour
>>
>>34961322
thanks for the insight :)
this would only be a short term job for me, and i don't really see myself pursuing a career in retail
best of luck with your sweet gig, man!

>>34961264
i've never had to use health insurance from a job i've held because i'm a loser who still lives with his parents and they pay for my ouchies

>>34961239
>don't start AMA threads on /k/
i know better than that, anon, i wish i knew half as much about guns as the average sperglord here
>>
>>34961277
Wtf..

>>34961306
Near as i can tell:
>black guy and white girl r lovers
>asian girl and white guy are their proper respective partners
>asian and white agree to creampie in front of white girl and black guy
>black guy and white girl get cucked at gunpoint and have to watch.

I have no other context.
>>
>>34961277
I'd like to know where this is from or at least wtf is going on.
>>
>>34961422
>something about being cucked.
like he walked in on his wife cheating with the nigger.
and fucks her infront of him before he kills them.
i forget what it is from.
>>
>>34961306
>>34961417
>>34961422
I wish I knew what was going on. That's why I saved the file as "what is going on here". On topic, the employees at Bass Pro have all been very helpful good ole boys
>>
>>34961461
>>34961463
I just wanna know how that slit eyed hottie is.
>>
>>34961264
the owner of my local gun store is an absolute bro and is a friend of a friend
i reckon i could get at least an interview on that fact alone
besides, the 3 people who currently work there don't seem like the sharpest tools in the shed, so i'm guessing the bar isn't set too high either

either way, what does a retail job in a gun store actually entail? aside from tending to customers, how would i be spending my time?
>>
>>34961519
>>34961463
>>34961461
>>34961422
>>34961417
>>34961277

Found the movie by googling: guy fucks asian gunpoint movie scene

The movie is Adulterers, the asian is Steffinnie Phrommany.
>>
>>34961306
>>34961417
>>34961463
>>34961422

From "The Adulterers" (2016)
https://youtu.be/n2hOn3gruAw
>>
File: diversity.jpg (69KB, 738x606px) Image search: [Google]
diversity.jpg
69KB, 738x606px
>>34961637
based anon.
>literally a movie for cucks
>>
>>34961781
The more I see of what the left is spouting the more I begin to think that 14 words are actually valid and important.
>>
>>34961220
Nope, shit job with shit pay. Go to school and join the reserves as an armorer if you wanna work with guns.
>>
>>34961220
It's one of the few retail jobs where a mistake on the part of the employee could result in the business getting shutt down, the business owner going to jail, or you going to jail. And a mistake on the part of your customer could result in him going to jail. But hey, you get to play with guns, so it must be a cool job, right?
>>
>>34961839
could you expand on why you think it's a shit job?
i just thought since the costumer volume is so it would be comfier than a regular retail job, and i would get to shill for my favorite guns all day to fellow gun enthusiasts
>>
>>34961841
not really.
i would say ABC is more likely to shut down a bar for serving minors.
>>
>>34961898
because retail.
If in the right place with the right people it would be ok.
But most places and people suck.
>>
>>34961927
my local gun store has a sales floor area of about 4x10 meters, a staff of 3 people, and a whopping selection of 20 handguns, 4 shotguns, and 6 rifles to choose from.
i've been there several times and only once have i encountered other customers
all of this indicates that it would be a very low-stress, low-intensity job, right?
plus, the owner is an absolute bro
>>
>>34961220
Retail fucking sucks
T. Retail manager
>>
>>34961898
One, retail jobs suck. Two, youre daily volume of customers are going to fingerfuck, and possibly scratch up the merchandise you are trying to sell, without actually buying anything. And Three, youre only gonna be shilling for the guns your store has in stock, because your store, and boss, dont make money off of transfers. Trust me, retail sucks in every company. If youre just trying to make easy money and play with guns, join the reserves as an armorer, at least that way you can play with real fun guns and explosives. Go to school kid, a degree can get you any entry level job in the federal gov with a starting pay of 43k a year. You dont even need work exp.

>32 year old vet who got his degree at 30 after 9 years in the army, and found out he competed against recent grads with no job experience to work as an intel officer in the fed.

if it werent for all the partying and good memories I had in mil, I would say it was a complete waste of time and had no benefits in regards to my current career path.
>>
>>34961781
>>34961829
https://archive.is/vEuBX
Sounds honestly like some satire written by /pol/ to trigger fellow alt-righters and not like a serious article altough of course Poe's law needs to be considered.
>>
>>34961988
Well at least you get usaa insurance. Their loans suck though
>>
>>34961988
let's focus on the retail job
i'm just looking for something that is short term and not a complete stress fest like my current job
i'll go to university to study physics next year, and i am not at all interested in a governemnt job in my country (guatemala)
army jobs suck shit, too, and i don't feel like locking myself down for two years with absolute poverty tier pay
have you dealt with shitty customers?
what's the worst thing you've experienced at a gun store
>>
You will make shit pay, deal with retards all day long, and come to hate your hobby.
>>
>>34962058
You should have said it was in another country.

Go for it then. What i said only applies to america
>>
>>34962099
yeah i'm bad at leading with the fact that i'm not american
i just wanted to hear other people's experiences with customer service in firearms retail
>>
>>34961220
Do you hate life and every living thing on this mortal coil? Because you will once you start down the dark path of customer service. You'll learn how most people are fucking retards and will pray that there's a nuclear holocaust.
>>
>>34962305
Basically this. The more you service industry you work, the more you learn to hate every living human. It doesn't matter if it is food industry, customer service, hospitality, or (god help you) telephone help desk. You will hate everyone for their blithering idiocy and yourself for dealing with it.

That being said, some people like it and I think they are nuts.
>>
>>34962383
They're dead inside. They don't like it. They just know how to fake it like a hooked or a stripper acts like she enjoys your company.

I've worked call center jobs, concierge work, and a lot of years of security. You learn that no matter what walk of life they come from, customers are retards with an unhealthy sense of entitlement. I seriously pray that we cleanse the earth with the power of atom. We're a blight on this planet. Our species is pure shit.
>>
>>34962486
Christ's sake dude get some help. It can't be that bad.
>>
>>34962510
Says the fag who's never worked those jobs. Dudes not far off. People are fucking stupid.
>>
>>34962486
I've done call centers, fast food, and retail work myself and can 100% agree that people are worthless. In the IT field around where I live most people have worked at a specific call center and well all have our war stories.
>>
>>34962305
>>34962383
>>34962486
i have worked in a farmaceuticals factory and been in the army reserves for the better part of a year now.
mind you, this is in Guatemala, so i can say with full confidence that i have spent these last months in the company of the absolute lowest tier of human intelligence
my job consists of running around a factory and pestering the assholes who operate the machines to fill out the paperwork correctly, which they inexplicably still cannot do after literal years of doing the exat same task every day of their lives
what they need to fill in is often not more than a signature and the time of day.
my army buddies are so relentlessly dense that i was able to get promoted to sergeant without even tryring, simply because the tests are geared toward absolute morons.
(we are 8 sgts. out of a company of 130)
believe me when i say i have come to hate the absolute subhuman that is my fellow man.
>>
>>34962510
You want stupid, how's this.

>be sitting at desk
>company we are contracted to has union strike
>be swamped with back to back calls
>hold times are through the room
>answer call and get immediately called a cock sucking scab
>pissed off union turd that is on strike actually sat on hold for an hour to curse at me
>say call is unproductive and hang up

I have more tales from IT.
>>
>>34962538
Call centers I've worked here in Austin have sjw fags out the ass. I don't know who I hate more, old people who can't grasp basic computer skills on a device tailor made for use by the unwashed masses or tumblrinas who just butch and moan about Trump and other weird shit that no one cares about.
>>
>>34962510
Dude, it's worse, that guy is putting it mildly. Work customer service for any real length of time. You'll hate life.
>>
>>34962574
I used to love those calls, I worked at HomeAway, and I just kept a mellow tone that while respectful, reading between the lines I'm being an asshole. I got them to rage quit a call before I hung up. It was awesome.

I figured out how to intercept the survey emails for them and using a proxy would give myself great scores. They caught me a year later. Got fired but since I never admitted to it, I got unemployment. Jokes on those fags, I intentionally stopped doing work 2 weeks before getting fired. They paid me to play video games and drink on the job.
>>
>>34962662
That's both sad and awesome at the same time. How did they dire you without you admitting to it?
>>
>>34962689
They called me into the head guys office and the guy was like "you know anything about this?".

Played dumb, they let me go. I filed for unemployment and they didn't contest since I signed nothing.
>>
>>34962662

I did the exact same thing for 6 years while working for my local ISP. Besides taking a few phone calls I spent most of my time just reading news online and lurking /b/.
>>
>>34963272
These kind of jobs are for idiots who are content with this kind of abuse. Smart people become Peter gibbons who fund ways to sabotage the company. Why does office space and idiocracy make me angry while entertaining me?
>>
No. Retail jobs are for losers who cant make it through community college/ tech school.

Seek a skill trade if you arent already going to a university
>>
>>34961220
>young pup
You're a young faggot that's for sure. Why are kids your age so gay now? Wtf.
>>
>>34963337

There's a reason why I left that job. I have since been taken on as an apprentice in carpentry. It gives me a lot more pleasure to make something from nothing, and to actually earn my way in life.

The only reason I ended up with IT-support was because it was easy and available.
>>
>>34963392
>he's never seen napoleon dynamite
you're a strong young pup, give this a tear.
holy shit anon, why are you such a cocksucker
>>
>>34963417
That sounds cool as hell.
>>
>>34962551
Customers ignorance is astounding. Even as a fellow former army, I've worked with real fucking retards but customers are a special kind of ignorant. it's... proof of religion, because I've never met people that dumb in real life. But working retail they just keep rollin' through the door, so some religious entities are sending the worst of worst to curse retail employees for some sin we aren't aware of.
>>
>>34963427
Napoleon dynamite is fucking garbage.
>>
>>34962510
back in high school i had a job at some sandwich shop/pizza place. it was a nice little gig, work was pretty easy except for the people.

mind you this restaurant was in a an upper middle class suburb/retiree area, so you mostly got old people/families. a lot of the senior citizens were nice enough, fairly respectful and knowledgeable; they had worked to get to where they were, and they were grateful for it.

the families, though. HOLY FUCK. i don't think i have ever, nor i will ever, come in contact again with such a mind-numbingly idiotic and unaware group of people.

there was a particular regular party consisting of a man with a bushy white mustache and a balding head of hair. this particular refused to sit down, and i never saw him eat a fucking morsel. instead he would hover around his herd of offspring, taking plates and such to the fucking cashiers, intercepting food before it was delivered to his table so HE could deliver it, etc.

he and his fuckboat of children and children's children and mother and uncle and etc. would come in every other sunday, and upon the occasion that i would deliver their 5-10 pizzas to their table, would verbally harass me over the quality of the plates. either they were too flimsy, or it "looked" like it was dirty (hint: you can't wash off fork scratches) on one occasion, they threatened physical violence against me because the pizza i put down was "too close to the baby." the old man was particularly vicious, as he would lean over and whisper into my ear something along the lines of, "these plates are garbage. give me the REAL shit."

it was absolutely bizarre. this particular pod of disgusting swine would arrive without fail at least twice a month and harass and attack the front shop staff (cashiers, waiters, bussers etc.), leave no tip, leave the tables a wasteland of crumbs, pizza crust and spilled drinks, and ironically threaten to never come back.
unfortunately though they were never good on their promise.
>>
>>34963652
I dealt with 3 lardo brothers when I waited tables. They would complain about the food but always be there for all you can eat chicken fried steak day every Tuesday. They would eat an entire cow each. Tip a dollar each in loose change, and be worthless fat bodies.

I think it was there I knew fat people deserve all the bullying and hate they get.
>>
>>34961637
>mfw reading the synopsis on wiki
How anyone was able to pitch this bullshit and have it actually made would warrant a movie in and of itself.
>>
>>34963760
Watching it right now, it's pretty good.
>>
>>34961220
desu you probs wont be able to get the job. I tried at my LGS and saud you had to be 21 cause of handgun laws.
>>
>>34963631
Your life must be very sad
>>
I work in firearms related manufacturing. We supply alot of whole sellers down to local gun stores. When I go out on local deliveries I am amused at how little intelligence the people behind the counters at these gun stores have.
>>
>>34961220
OP- pick ANY job but that one.

Here's why: You'll make more driving a forklift at the local distribution center, and have more left over for toys at the end of the month.

Nothing worse than a bunch of broke gunshop geeks and gunsmiths. I hate top ramen. And retail sucks.
>>
>>34962305
I second the fuck out of this. I fucking hate my customers (I'm at a car wash not a gun store though)
>>
>>34963427
>dick riding a shit movie like Napoleon Dynamite
Fuck off faggot. Sorry you have shit taste in movies.
>>
>>34962510
Car wash guy again.. Oh, it is that fucking bad man.
Had a guy a monthish ago scream at my manager and report him because his car couldn't be placed at the front of the cleaning line "so the sun would make the dust stand out" he also had several thousand cash sitting in his car.

Or the mental midget who cussed us all out for 20 minutes because the was a little smidge of mud in the wheel wells of his turbocock lifted truck

Or all the fucks that drive to different cleaning areas than directed on purpose thinking it will make the process faster and then back everything up

Or the people that literal cause accidents because they sit on their phones and don't move after they get out of the car wash and then get smashed into by the next car to be pushed out of the tunnel.
That's just the current customer oriented job I work, back in high school when I worked at Kroger it was the same.
You will question all reality. You will learn and grow to hate and despise humanity as if you are Lucifer himself in the Garden of Eden.
>>
>>34961220
Please do
I'm sick of both the Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse gun counters fully staffed with old fat fudds in their 60s with absolutely 0 customer service skill. I picked up a online-ordered gun at my cabelas last week and the fat old fuck with hearing aids wouldn't look me in the eye, didn't say a damn word, acted like my 10 minute transaction was just a big fucking hassle for him.

You're young, you're eager, I can say with all honesty and from life experience that good customer service is actually a valuable skill to learn. Go for it
>>
>>34963652
The threats to never come back always crack me up. As if its a fucking threat. My response is typically along the lines of "Well that is your choice" so don't get fired but internally all I can think is "Please for the love of god never come back, I fucking hate you, you sack of septic shit, make my job easier"

They always come back though
>>
>>34966546
>retail sucks
Yeah it does. I can't imagine how much it would suck to work retail and deal with fudds, mall ninjas, and all around retards for a living on a day to day basis.
>>
>>34967270
Fudds suck. And ignorant desk attendants.
My local Point Blank had an M&P 15 that I bought a couple summers back. Was shooting the shit with the desk clerk and I mentioned while all the forms were going through tat I originally intended to buy an AK, but couldn't find any good ones for sale. He then proceeded to trash talk the entire AK pattern of rifles as if they were inoperable junk, and handed me a damn RAS47 to prove it. He lost any chance of me taking him seriously after that. (And after I had to correct him that .223 rifles should not be fed .556)
>>
>>34967242
Working in a grocery store isn't nearly as bad. You deal with people complaining about prices, knocking things over, but mostly it's just helping people find what they want. Hell I even got a phonecall today before closing thanking me for a product recommendation.
>>
>>34967356
It was ok in general. Since pretty much every bagger is a high schooler I got treated like a kid and wasn't really bothered, because my managers were the ones getting screamed at not me.
Actually got a letter in the mail a little while into the job saying a customer personally sent in a thank-you to me for doing something nice
>>
>>34967288
I loved when people threatened that. When I worked at a call center I would get the same assholes months later and when they brought that up that they were leaving I'd say "You said that 5 months ago, remember? You renewed your subscription 3 months ago to the higher level."

It oddly would take the wind out of most people's sails. They'd try to escalate, I'd say no, and they'd hang up. Intercept their survey, rinse and repeat.

They never leave. They just want free shit because people in general are greedy fucking pigs. That's why communism will never happen. People are greedy, needy little babies who can't be content with what they already have.

We really are a virus like Agent Smith said in the Matrix. We just consume and rape until there's nothing left.
>>
>>34961220
It's retail. If you're a good employee you'll be worked 60 hours a week until you burn out and hate your hobby. If you're not you'll be kept on with all the other retards anyway, just with more reasonable hours.
>>
>>34967475
I would call this guy edgy but only someone who has worked retail or any kind of service job can attain such hatred for his fellow man.
>>
>>34961220
Just remember that /k/ is a representative example of the fuckwits you'll have to deal with on the job, only without the ability to easily escape from their inane antics.
>>
I've worked retail on an off in between better jobs. Selling guns is probably one of the best and worst jobs, depending all on the customer you get. Hunting season being around the corner though, it's mostly one of the worst jobs right now.

I would imagine working at a smaller store would be a little chiller, but I work at a big box store, and the store policies makes the whole process a bit more frustrating. Some customers come in without knowing laws or store policy and then get mad when we won't fill in their form for them or when we double check the paperwork at the end.

People also get really fucking mad when there's only 3 people working and there are 20 fucking customers waiting in line. We have to resort to a ticket system and they get pissed and call us worse than the DMV. Have you assholes never bought meat before? Then there are people who take a ticket, wait for 5 minutes, then try to cut the line by claiming they were called despite being 10 numbers off.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.