[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the proper way to draw a pistol? Most instructors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: low ready.jpg (97KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
low ready.jpg
97KB, 400x600px
What's the proper way to draw a pistol? Most instructors nowadays say to thrust it forward, but the old Army instruction videos say to raise it to eye level from the low ready. The argument is that thrusting forward can cause the barrel to dip when the arm reaches full extension.
>>
>>34960910
Thrust it forward to the low ready and then raise it to eye level?
>>
>>34960919
That's what I thought. I tend to make a curved motion with my arm as I progressively raise it higher as the arm gets closer to full extension.
>>
>>34960927
This is me too
>>
>>34960933

Miculek calls raising the pistol the Filipino technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_W2w0oBwb8
>>
>>34960910

>establish good grip in holster
>draw up
>bring the gun up to eye level
>start looking for front sight
>as sight picture starts coming into view, finger on trigger
>finger on trigger ONLY if you have a sight picture
>extend arms out
>depress trigger when you have acceptable sight picture

Important points:
get the gun UP
start looking for that front sight asap
Straight up to eye-->extend straight out
>>
>>34960978
>Straight up to eye-->extend straight out
That's what the Army used to tell soldiers NOT to do. They said it would cause the muzzle to dip when the arms reached full extension.
>>
>thrust forward
>dips if you really go too fast but not that often, you're not directly fighting gravity

>swing upwards to eye level
>majority of people will overshoot and the muzzle will rise too high before oscillating too high and too low before centering out, especially if they try to go fast
>>
>>34961004

I'm basically repeating what I've learned from Pat Mac and Mike Panonne.

I trust their instruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-_9OIiQOJg

Getting the sight picture early as possible is the key to speed, or so I've heard.
>>
Personally I was taught to bring it straight up out of the holster, rotate, then push out, so that's what I do.
>>
>>34960910
Most instructors have never actually had to use a gun outside of a range. Don't thrust your arms forward, just steadily raise the gun in one motion until the sights are aligned with your eyes. Practicing this will make the movement automatic so your sights line up every time when you draw.
>>
>>34960978
>start looking for the front sight
Not start looking at the target first?
>>
File: 2017-08-24_10-35-55.png (208KB, 1218x955px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-24_10-35-55.png
208KB, 1218x955px
>Army no longer teaches raising up because you're trying to align the gun vertically which is more difficult than extending forward

>pic related is in their latest TC
>>
File: 2017-08-24_10-38-48.png (101KB, 609x907px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-24_10-38-48.png
101KB, 609x907px
>>
>>34961397

Correct

It's all about the front sight.

A good sight picture should be

>blurry target
>clear front sight
>blurry rear sight

You have to "open" your eyes, and kinda see everything at once, but the focus should be front sight, or at least that is how I think.
>>
>>34961363
This is counter to what operator-tier instructors with gunfight experience in theater. Almost all of them teach a very close variation of pressing the gun out at a flat trajectory from the chest, acquiring front sight picture as soon as possible. They do not teach shooters to raise the gun until sight picture is acquired.
>>
>>34960927
this is called bowling and is not how operators draw their pistol.
>>
I like CAR stance because it allows you to keep a good grip on the gun while getting a quick sight picture in close quarters . I know people tend to think it's fake edgelord shit these days but in pretty much every bodycam video of cops being attacked in close quarters they use some variation of CAR stance, so it must have some merit
>>
>>34961363
>just steadily raise the gun in one motion until the sights are aligned with your eyes.
great way to ensure that you can't use your firearm effectively until you're fully extended.
>>
I vaguely remember this interview with a WW2 vet who stated they were taught to bring their 1911s down on their target, and that "you couldnt miss" if you did it right.
>>
>>34960910

>fish gat out of drawers
>rack slide because caryying condition 1 or 2 is for busters
>hold sideways
>say "freak yo self, fool"
>shoot at target
>>
>>34960978
>establish good grip in back pocket
>shoot while still in pocket
>shoot while raising to eye level
>dump mag in general direction of target
>keep jerking trigger long after it goes "click"
>throw empty gun at target and sort of dance around for a little bit
>tactically withdraw at high velocity
>make a thread about it on /k/

WE WUZ KANGZZZZ
>>
>>34962171

I wish it would stop being treated as dumb, because it seems to work pretty well and looks cool as fuck.
>>
>>34962679
>>34962171
CAR has it's place, it's just that most people dont find themselves in that place, and there are too many larpers doing it wrong
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.