[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a 27 yo (male) nurse, thinking about looking into joining

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: mfw.jpg (28KB, 309x265px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
28KB, 309x265px
I'm a 27 yo (male) nurse, thinking about looking into joining the army as a combat medic. Working in the hospital is fucking boring. Is that realistic given my age? I'm in average physical fitness.
>>
>>34939217
>I'm in average physical fitness
If your physical fitness is average then you need to start working out.
>>
>>34939375
yeah I realize that, is that the only thing holding me back in your opinion? I have extensive medical knowledge already and am pretty familiar with firearms. No tactical/combat training though
>>
There's like, a 80% chance you're gonna end up working in a TMC doing the same shit you do now but with all the extra army bullshit
>>
>>34939375
Idiot.
>>
>>34939442
>I have extensive medical knowledge already and am pretty familiar with firearms
Does army even take people based on their previous knowledge? You will have to complete the same trainings as everyone else except you might have a slightly better life if you already know that shit.
>>
>>34939742
They actually prefer people who have no weapons experience because theyre easier to teach. People who have learned outside the military pick up bad habits and its harder to train that out of them than it is to teach newbies to shoot.
The only things its worth learning before going in is how to navigate using a map and maybe some basic adult life support. Everything else theyll teach you is their way and their method.
>>
>>34939217
If you have a degree why not go into the medical field as an officer? You'll do probably the same shit, but have a higher quality of life.
>>
>>34939217
You are still going to work in a triage and get paid less, unless you officer up and stay in the hospital with even less preparation and lost dreams.
>>
>>34939716
t.averageamerican
>>
>>34939217
> I'm in average physical fitness.
The best advice I can give you is to buy quality running shoes and start running.
>>
>>34939217
Oi. I'm gonna get my CNAs soon. Any tips for future jobs? I don't wanna work with old people but my mother is a nurse and says I'll probably have to for hands on training. Gimme tips
>>
File: 1481790692582.jpg (87KB, 640x512px)
1481790692582.jpg
87KB, 640x512px
>>34939684
What's a TMC? Sorry I don't know shit

>>34939742
I just assumed the fact that I'd worked in medical fields would make me an attractive candidate. I've heard it's getting a little more difficult to enlist since the wars are slowing down.

>>34939791
I dont have my BSN yet, if I wanted to be a nurse in the army it's my understanding I'd have to finish it before.

>>34941622
solid advice. I used to run a lot but got lazy during school.

>>34941713
CNA is probably the best thing you can do to ensure you can find a good job after nursing school. You will have to work with old people in just about every field of nursing. It's not so bad though, most of the time they're pretty nice.
>>
File: 1481679708938.jpg (107KB, 542x602px) Image search: [Google]
1481679708938.jpg
107KB, 542x602px
>>34941754
>you will have to work with old people

FUCK. I just want a lot of money
>>
File: 1478680410149.png (458KB, 1186x1596px)
1478680410149.png
458KB, 1186x1596px
>>34941779

It's not so bad, you work a few years in a hospital setting and then you can get a job for like an insurance company and make shit loads of money and never touch a patient again. There's lots of nursing jobs that don't require you to deal directly with patients but they require experience.
>>
>>34941835
sounds devilish. im down. im okay with patients. being an EMT was my goal but hauling fatasses doesn't sound great. im a greedy cunt who wants gun money. any more info about insurance shit?
>>
>>34941853
not really, I'm still in the hospital phase.

I've also heard oil companies use nurses on oil rigs. You work something like 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off and the pay is supposed to be really good. Once again you'll need at least a few years experience to qualify.
>>
>>34939217
Dude, if you're looking to enlist to alleviate the boredom of your day to day then I've got some bad news for you: military life is bullshit. You're going to wind up doing the exact same shit you're doing now, only without the freedoms you're currently used to, for less pay, with a dumber clientele and without the ability to just up and move on when you inevitably get bored again. If you're in the medical field and looking for adventure, why not look into doctors without borders or any of the other numerous overseas medical missions? Or hell, join those crazy fuckers who set up civilian field hospitals in Iraq and Afghanistan? That should be enough yondering for anyone.
>>
>>34941881
that's actually really solid advice. I appreciate it.
>>
>>34939217
I was a corpsman before I got out and went to Nursing school. It really isn't that exciting, you're going to be really frustrated as a nurse being downgraded to a medic. You will spend most of your time as what amounts to a CNA or unit tech in a hospital or clinic, doing a job you are grossly overqualified to do. You think your life is boring now, just wait until you're a RN that's only taking vitals and wiping ass.

As for when you're actually out in the field, yeah you'll do some training, throw on some tourniquets and pressure dressings and other emergency medicine shit, but the chances you deploy right now are pretty slim, you won't be part of the 4000 extra troops going to Afghanistan. You'll just be hanging out in the safefy vehicle at a range or during ruck marches finger fucking your phone and shooting the shit. The rest of the time is spent doing busy work at HQ, going to some 1st sgts retirement ceremony, 4am battalion runs and sitting with your thumb up your ass until you finally get dismissed for the day.

If you really want action, go for spec ops, most likely enlisted as you will probably not do any medical shit as an officer. Then you will actually be the combat medic you so desire to be. I think you should just be a flight nurse or some shit as a civilian though, you don't have to work on the floor as a nurse.
>>
>>34941881

And help monkeys who can't sustain themselves breed more monkeys ?
>>
Contact local reserve units and see what they're offering you. Play off the Army, USMC, Navy, Air Force and whoever gives you the best deal go for it. It's far more flexible and you can volunteer for deployments when they come up.

If you're 27 with a vocation and some responsibility you will absolutely detest a full time military career.
>>
>>34941992
also solid advice. It's my understanding that your chances of actually passing selection and becoming an 18D without prior military experience is next to zero.

flight nurse job would probably be pretty badass also.
>>
>>34942006
>t. poor white trash
>>
>>34939217

>you are actually over qualified to be a medic
>your age is fine
>fitness probably fine

They won't make you a medic, but dump you in a hospital because they covet your nursing credentials.

p.s. - lots of military nurses climb the rank ladder and become pretty big deals in the medical equipment selection process.
>>
>>34939217
Yeah could work out, just don't let them know you're a nurse.
Chances are you'll still be stationed at a hospital or clinic in peacetime.
I'm a corpsman, a Navy/USMC medic basically. I know one who has been in for about 20 navy side, who prior to entrance was an RN, once they found out on deployment they made him a flight nurse, despite having a different job and being enlisted (only officers are RNs).
>>
>>34939217
I believe you are already past the maximum age to enlist in the Air Force, the Marines get their medics (Corpsman) from the Navy, You can enlist in the Navy or Army till you're 34 (if no prior service).
>>
>>34939217
Dude, medics in the military are EMTs with some IV therapy and advanced airways
Youre over qualified (if youre an RN/BSN, LPNS need not apply)
>>
File: AF.png (91KB, 1248x694px)
AF.png
91KB, 1248x694px
max age for air force is 39 bro
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.