[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't understand what makes a gun better or worse. What's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: coffee_chan.jpg (49KB, 500x595px) Image search: [Google]
coffee_chan.jpg
49KB, 500x595px
I don't understand what makes a gun better or worse.
What's the difference between a $200 gun and a $900 gun aside from aesthetics and tech shit and frivolous shit.

You can't even meme about reliability , there are plenty of $200 and sub $200 even that will last a lifetime
>>
>>34937161
Reliability, longevity, higher tolerances, etc.
>>
>>34937161
>there are plenty of $200 and sub $200 even that will last a lifetime
Name 3.
>>
>>34937169
You used the same word twice which is already dismissed and need to explain the third word
>>
>>34937189
Shit quality metal doesn't lend itself to standing up to the stresses higher quality metals can endure. Go shoot +P+ out of a Jiminez.
>>
>>34937161
>$200 and sub $200 even that will last a lifetime
If a lifetime is described as 100 years in a desk drawer, never being fired, sure.

But even the sub $200 12 gauge shotguns won't last a lifetime of actually being used.

Step up to $450 and there are a plethora of guns that will last functionally forever, so long as you keep up wear parts replacement, but sub $200, the only guns really worth buying are hi-points, Filipino Jframe copies, and the smallest of the KelTecs, and these guns are manifestly not "lifetime" guns, they are "good enough for now" guns.
>>
I doubt cheap handguns are very accurate. CZ-75 guns are famous for their accuracy and cost around $600.
>>
>>34937239
This is a video game meme.
>>34937229
Do you have anything to back that up?

Plenty of $200 shotgun last forever with frequent use
>>
>>34937322
>$200 shotgun last forever with frequent use
Which? I've owned three so far, Century Arms coach gun, Sears failed, would fire as soon as you released trigger from cocking motion, sub 1000 rounds.

Chinese 870 clone (Interstate arms something or other) started to double feed (release two shells from mag tube) if pumped briskly, under 600 rounds.

Yorkshire gas operated semiauto, ruptured gas system now straight pull bolt action, sub 800 rounds.

I guess I was ignoring single shot break actions like the H&R and the NEF.

Those are good.
>>
>>34937189
Reliability and longevity aren't necessarily the same thing, higher tolerances should be self explanatory, and et cetera means "and similar things". I'm guessing English isn't your first language.
>>
There's a lot of factors that go into price OP.

For instance, AR15s are abnormally cheap because they are well suited for rapid production using modern manufacturing techniques, a massive production overrun during the 2016 election cycle and a massive dump when Trump won since the fear of them being banned which drove the sales vanished overnight.

Another example. I can go out and buy a used Savage model 99 for $350 tomorrow. It's a finely crafted lever action rifle, I can get one in great shape too. However, that's only in .300 Savage which is extremely expensive and inconvenient to acquire. If I wanted one in .308 I'd be paying $800 minimum. For the same reason, Austrian Mannlicher straight-pulls are only ~$100. The ammunition is virtually unobtainable.

Another example is this. I live in California. If I want a Glock I can buy a 3rd generation 19 for instance. ~$600-500 new, $400 through blue label if I have my armed guard card. The 4th generation version is not on the roster of approved handguns. I can only buy it used from a private seller. That would cost me $800-1000. The 4th generation is worth the same $400 anywhere else, but because of artificial scarcity and idiots willing to pay the premium for cheesegrater grip panels and more frequent stovepipe jams the price is nearly double.
>>
>>34937174
Chink shotguns of anykind

Hi point ( back when they were under some different name decades ago, those guns are still kicking around on gunbroker and in trucks around the country )

Tokarevs on a good deal or nagant revolvers
>>
>>34938993
mosin nagants and sks' in a wonderful yesteryear on this list as well.
>>
giving some actual examples
>Bryco, Jimenez, some other Saturday Night Specials
unreliable, might break (), might explode (Rohm revolver, never fire one)
>Hi Points work. They're heavier than average, single stack, worse grips, worse trigger. Still works.
>Kel Tec
Hit-or-miss. Some people had issues with the the RFB cycling. Some SU-16s receivers cracked. Their pocket pistols tend to be good.
>some cheap .22 conversions (Walther P22, Gsg 1911 22)
some companies make their .22 conversions from pot metal. Then the slides crack
>slav surplus
Reliable decent stuff, usually just heavier since they're steel, and single stack.
>Taurus
hit or miss, except the "miss" is stuff like the shake-to-fire Taurus 24/7
>>
It's the same shit with any product what type of question is this? Yes sure you can get by with a cheaper end knife or gun or almost anything but you pay extra for usually better support better quality more elegance and a while bunch of other factors.
>>
File: 1502662096029.png (386KB, 500x525px) Image search: [Google]
1502662096029.png
386KB, 500x525px
>>34937161
IMO there's no point in spending more than 6-700 bucks on a gun unless its A) a collectable B) just because you want something nice looking for the sake of it or C) its overbuilt to fuck because youre gonna shoot it to hell and back (30,000 rounds plus)

Most Guns that are good for 99% of people and 90% of government agencies for that matter (remember police stations the world over use Glocks, M&Ps, Remington 870s and so on) are what are broadly considered "baseline" or "average"

But if it bothers you that much, most situations would rather call of you being an expert in your shitty $300 M&P40 trade in gun that youve practiced 10,000 shots with rather than your $2000 ed brown combat master youve shot 900 round with.

Not that there's anything wrong with the ed brown or the M&P themselves, they both work. It's just up to you which is better.

Dont listen to poorfags who scream the M&P is the best and theres no point in the Higher end stuff and dont listen to the snob who lives in a gated community who says the custom 1911 is the best and anything less is worth nothing, because theyre both wrong.
>>
90% of the stuff that 90% of people will do with guns 90% of the time could be covered by a Hi Point or a 12 gauge single-shot shotgun, either of which can be had for under $200.

But I don't have either of these, and most of you don't either. That's because we're middle class, and have middle class values. The poor put price first, the rich put features and quality first, but we middle class people put value first. Value is a somewhat subjective concept, but it's basically the idea that there's a sweet spot where you get the best balance of features and quality for the price. If you look around your room, probably most of the stuff in it isn't the cheapest possible iteration of that item you could get. The middle class will consistently pay a little more to get a little more. I have a Ruger pistol instead of a Hi Point and a Mossberg shotgun instead of a Hatfield for the same reason I have a Macbook instead of a no-name Chinkshit netbook and a pair of Merrills instead of store brand Walmart shoes. They're not the most expensive things in the world, but they're good quality and they're not going to fall apart in six months, either.

Most of us are hopelessly middle class, and we can't help but bring those values to everything we do. Neither can I, so OP, don't be a poorfag - spend a little extra cash to get something that's nice and is going to last you.
>>
>>34937459
Is the coach gun really that bad? I was thinking about getting one
>>
>>34937189
>reliability, longevity...
I have a freezer, a fridge and a microwave that I inherited from my late grandmother.
They are reliable, in that they do what they are supposed to, when they are supposed to, and don't do things that they are not supposed to.
In terms of longevity, they're over 23 years old, and the only thing that needs repairing is fitting a new doorseal on the freezer...
Like >>34939338 says, buy stuff that's good value, look after it and it'll keep going when the cheap stuff has fallen apart!
>>
>>34938683
>reliability and longevity aren't the same thing
Fuck off.
>>
>>34941755
A grenade is reliable if it explodes once the pin has been removed and the arming lever released.
That does not mean it has the longevity to do so repeatedly...
>>
fit and finish
>>
>>34939338
>I have a Macbook instead of a no-name Chinkshit netbook
>macbooks have greater value than a chink ultrabook at 2/3 the price
This fucking guy
>>
>>34939368
It's possible I had a lemon, but the warranty support was shit. I fixed it myself, but shortly thereafter lucked into a really good deal on a Pioneer Arms coach gun, and sold it after just a box of shells to test function.
>>
>>34939368
It's worth paying Stoger prices rather then century arms. I'd say go for it, they are goddamn fun.
>>
>>34941755
You're retarded.

>something works well, and with few issues.
It's reliable

>that same something only works well for a few years before it begins to wear out and develop issues.
It lacks longevity.

An example of this would be any HK roller delayed blowback gun. Very reliable but they require replacements of parts in order to stay reliable.
>inb4 someone spergs out about me mentioning having to replace ejector springs in order to convey an idea
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.