[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the advantage of a M249 SAW over a M16 with Beta C-mag

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Beta_C-Mag_on_M4.jpg (29KB, 548x357px) Image search: [Google]
Beta_C-Mag_on_M4.jpg
29KB, 548x357px
What is the advantage of a M249 SAW over a M16 with Beta C-mag ? And what is the advantage of a PKM over an RPK? And what is the advantage of a LMG over a assault
>>
a SAW will actually work.
>>
>>34931485
Beta C-Mags are still not particularly reliable, and you get a better rate of fire with a SAW. The PKM is in 7.62x54R for much more powerful round power and psychological impact.
In all, LMGs offer much heavier sustained fire than an automatic rifle.
>>
>>34931485
A M249 can lay down more fire given how it can accept both belt-fed and STANAG magazines, as well as being fully automatic. Beta C-Mags jam like crazy.

PKM fires a heavier round than the RPK. Comparing an RPK to a PKM would be comparing the M27 IAR to a M240 relatively speaking.

And LMG can lay down heavier volumes of fire for longer periods of time compared to an assault.
>>
>>34931485
barrel changes. once you put a belt through a saw, you're gonna need to change out the barrel to prevent it from melting.
>>
>>34931518
It can accept stagnag mags in paper, but in practicality, it's a jamomatic with them. Dunno if a worn receiver has to do with this or the mags had some issues
>>
>>34931520
to caveat onto what i said, you could do something like a ruger takedown ar.
>buy a ruger takedown
>modify lower to full auto
>acquire spare barrels and drums
>you now have a mag fed ar that can barrel change
pretty unpractical as a ruger takedown ar is like $2k and the barrel change is not smooth at all. spare barrels will be and extra $500. beta or saw mags will be another $250-500 a piece. at that point it's just as cheap and more practical to buy a saw and some link.
>>
>>34931551

Mag springs and followers can't keep up with the 249's ROF.
>>
>>34931551
>>34931636
t. Neverserveds
>>
>>34931485
dumb newfags. the US army also had the same retarded idea and they ditched it before adopting the SAW, why don't you look up how that happened.
>>
>>34931485
>What is the advantage of a M249 SAW over a M16 with Beta C-mag?
An M16 will get hot as everloving shit trying to put through the volume of fire a M249 has to.
Also, Beta C mags are dogshit, they're heavy largely unreliable, and are known for breaking if you look at them wrong.

>what is the advantage of a PKM over an RPK?
Longer range, far better barrier penetration, belt-fed, can handle more heat.

>what is the advantage of a LMG over a assault
It can do suppressive fire reliably.
>>
>>34931520
Here is the answer, I can't remember the barrel change times for rapid/sustained fire since I was never a machine gunner, but having the ability to quickly change out the barrels really increases the amount of lead you can accurately send downrange in a medium timeframe.
Also, I really love the IAR, but it just doesn't do the same job as the SAW. It's indicative of a tactics change to suppression by accuracy instead of suppression by volume.
>>
>>34931551
It destroys the mags. The bolt rips the follower off after the last round.

When I first got trained on the SAW I was told that using STANAGS was an absolute last resort for when you were about to fucking die.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.