[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would 100 US marines be able to change the outcome of the fall

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12

File: Fall of Constantinople.jpg (192KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Fall of Constantinople.jpg
192KB, 1024x768px
Would 100 US marines be able to change the outcome of the fall of Constantinople?
>>
>>34928652
Yes you fucking retard
>>
If they were well supplied then they would dent the turks but I dont think it would change anything, but there would be a lot of dead mudskins
>>
>>34928662
If they're well supplied, I see no reason how their support couldn't help route the enemy entirely. It would be a turkey shoot for them.
>>
>>34928676
Because there is a lot of fucking ottomans out there, not sure how long 100 marines are gonna hold up to a human wave
>>
>>34928689
I want you to consider the city defenders are also involved, and that the ottomans would likely break rank as soon as hundreds of their men started falling dead hundreds of yards from the enemy.
>>
>>34928652
If they were all armed with m134 mingun
>>
>>34928652
Aviation wing ftw
>>
File: 456.jpg (817KB, 1175x1205px) Image search: [Google]
456.jpg
817KB, 1175x1205px
>>34928676
>turkey shoot
>>
File: 1462062728873.png (15KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1462062728873.png
15KB, 420x420px
>>34928676
>>34928778

>Siege of Constantinople
>Turkey Shoot

kek
>>
File: 1502149740529.png (675KB, 1035x913px) Image search: [Google]
1502149740529.png
675KB, 1035x913px
>>34928676
>>
>>34928652
I think people are thinking of this all wrong.

Instead of simply defending and meeting the enemy head-on the Marines could easily wage guerilla warfare. Head out and take down the supply chain. Poison water and food supplies and set fire to their tents, cripple their entire army before the main battle even starts.

Also they can easily take out a zillion of them from a couple hundred yards in the days leading up to the battle. This would destroy their morale by being killed from impossible distances. Rumors would quickly spread that it's some kind of magic or some shit and they won't even want to fight.
>>
>>34928652
>ottomans invaded by sea with 130 ships (40 or so galleys). Give them enough shoulder-fire missiles and artillery and they could've stopped it from starting. Enough sniper teams could have eliminated any real siege threat aside from >>34928689, but snipers picking off anyone important looking would probably be enough to cause them to back off. Add some grenades and mortars to the mix and some machine gun squads and support teams in, and yeah, I think they could pretty easily change the outcome. That's not even considering trying to pair down crews for some A-10s or amphibious assault ships just long enough to change the outcome. It's not like they need the infrastructure. Just enough to make it work for the time being.
>>
File: DavyCrockettW54.jpg (268KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
DavyCrockettW54.jpg
268KB, 800x640px
>>34928652

One man and his good pal Davy Crockett could probably make a huge difference.
>>
>>34928652
>100 marines
>Aviation marines are still marines
Just have a handful of cobra gunships
>cobra gunships on medieval tier soldiers
>japs have literally envisioned this in gate
>>
File: 1495253151166.jpg (33KB, 530x775px) Image search: [Google]
1495253151166.jpg
33KB, 530x775px
>white people with thunder sticks that crack faster than a man can blink appear among the defenders, dressed as demons

They could rout the Turks firing into the fucking air.
>>
>be Marine sniper
>sitting on castle wall
>see huge medieval army
>even bigger staging area
>everyone out in the open
>pull out Barret 50cal with 40x scope
>ID Mehmed the Conqueror
>OneShotOneKill.exe

That was easy
>>
>>34928652
if they are just marines with no weapons and ammo with no prep time, then theyd only make a slight dent
>>
>>34928652

propped with some crosses, chanting and hymns

mowing down hundreds in front of them could cause the army to rout in religious fear
>>
>>34928842
You do realize the Ottomans cracked Constantinople with gunpowder artillery, right?
>>
>>34928652
>100 Marines

So assuming Infantry, a company would be about 120. So a rifle company with weapons platoon on a skeleton crew.

Assuming they were transported magically we gotta pick the scenario.

1. The enemy attacks relentlessly, Marines fuck up a lot with SAWs, 240's, we had vehicles, so Humvees with Mark 19's and shit. Mraps, grenades, regular m16's, etc.

2. Something tells me they might pause for a second as they think they're being attacked by wizards they can't even see with magic explosions.
>>
>>34928932
Do you think their artillery would be out of range of an M4?
>>
File: Fall-of-Constantinople.jpg (340KB, 1135x600px) Image search: [Google]
Fall-of-Constantinople.jpg
340KB, 1135x600px
>>34928652
Of course. Give me 100 useless Somali pirates and I'll get the job done with 25 outboard motors, RPGs, and some orked-up fishing boats.
>>
>>34928986
>look at me I am sultan now
>>
>>34928652
With resupply and insertion prior to the actual battle? Sure, they could easily break the invaders morale and end the Siege itself.

But if you just dropped them in the middle of the Siege, armed but with nothing else, when the Ottomans have defenses and cannon set up? No. 30,000 rounds against 50,000 to 200,000 men, when they already have cut off supply, are in striking distance and have cannon that outrange the Marines' rifles.

Either way, ultimately 100 men can't defend a country, and while they might break the siege, they couldn't prevent its eventual fall.
>>
>>34928959
>Do you think their artillery would be out of range of an M4?
Yes actually, the Orban bombard Basilica present at the battle had a range of over a mile.
>>
File: IMG_4014.jpg (50KB, 390x395px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4014.jpg
50KB, 390x395px
>>34928997
>>
>>34928689
Stay close and have a good ammo pile. Have barricades and they should be fine.
>>
File: IMG_4050.jpg (63KB, 634x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4050.jpg
63KB, 634x1024px
>>34929218
I've seen and touched the Dardanelles gun. That niggas pretty impressive.

Though I think that the 100 marines added to the defence would make a noticeable difference and maybe win it. Artillery would be the only opponent. You still have the standard defenders there as well as the marines. With an extra 100 men, with accurate mortars, M4s, rifles, 249/240s it would make a huge difference. For the most part they wouldn't be under serious firearm threat and could just rinse the enemy. Any projectiles would most likely be stopped by their plates.
>>
>>34928652
The Ottomans have tens of thousands of troops and they have artillery, the greatest killer of modern soldiers even today.
You would need MORE than 100 US Marines to defend Constantinople. Also, current military gear does not protect against arrow storms, because we stopped expecting arrows from raining from above. (pro-tip: ceramic plate armor doesn't form pauldrons for US Marine equipment)
>>
>>34929250
>With an extra 100 men, with accurate mortars, M4s, rifles, 249/240s it would make a huge difference.

I guess this depends on how you interpret the initial proposal.

Is it 100 men in the closest organizational unit to that size with all its accoutrements (so maybe a Weapons Company with 81 mm mortars, anti-armor and a HMG platoon), or is it 100 individual marines and outfitted as such.
>>
>>34929250
Missing the whole point. A besieging force could simply blockade the city until the defenders starve. The real question is whether the delay would buy enough time for diplomacy to either negotiate an Ottoman/Byzantine peace settlement or alternately a European relief force.
>>
>>34928944
This is the 15th century already; guns are a known and understood quality. Cannon and handgonnes are already in use.

A person might marvel at the metallurgical skill and precision of an M4, but the basic principles of guns are well understood by this point.
>>
>>34928652
Historically speaking, the time to actually defend Constantinople was against the Crusader sacking of the city. During that time, it still had wealth, science, a great urban life, commerce, and materials.
Defending Constantinople 250 years later when it was nothing more than a walled village of huts makes no sense.
It is a great shame of humanity when that day happened to that city.
>>
>>34928652
>anyone thinking the Turks stand a chance
the turks hearing a constant volley of cracking and popping noises, while seeing a series of terrifying yellow flashes on the horizon followed by scores of their best men and leaders dropping down with horrific wounds would send them scurrying back double time. The numbers are irrelevant in face of the fear the marines would inflict alone
>>
>>34929284
I'm not missing the point. Of course that's a possibility and In fact what the ottomans would most likely do in the rent of meeting automatic gunfire. However we are discussing the battle that led to the fall.

>>34929276
Yeah that's where OP needed to be a little more specific. Marines could be pretty much anything.

Also people
>>34929205 >>34928689 need to stop reading it as "100 marines defend Constantinople" since OP did specify that they would be there to help make a difference, not replace the original defenders.

I reckon it would be like someone above said, marines go out on sabotage missions and/or mortar the shit out of ottoman artillery. If they had the equipment then they could potentially stop the ottomans from landing in the first place.

Need more specifications to be honest
>>
>>34928652
Marines Cant HElp Constantinople But The Fins Might.
>>
>>34928689
battles are determined by morale, not the number of bodies. the marines dont have to kill every single turk, modern firearms against late medieval tactics would probably do so much damage that they would rout
>>
>>34928825
>Rumors would quickly spread that it's some kind of magic or some shit and they won't even want to fight.

>Yfw after the battle the marines are hailed as gods, yfw they start a jarhead religion
>>
>>34929428
>jarhead
>jihad

Maybe it's an evolution
>>
>>34929306
>Also people need to stop reading it as "100 marines defend Constantinople" since OP did specify that they would be there to help make a difference, not replace the original defenders.
I never said they were alone

After the Siege has begun the marines will still be stuck in the city. Earthworks will be set up, patrols, counterdefenses , etc. A sally would be the worst way to use them because it puts the marines at the most risk, as opposed to disciplined sniper fire allowing them to fully exploit the technological mismatch. Once the siege proper had begun, they're not going to affect the outcome that much. There was no help coming for Constantinople, no Venetian reinforcements. The Ottomans were in control of the battle, and would continue to be, even with 10,000 kills from the Marines (which is an already unrealistic 1/3 kill to rounds expended ratio).

Then again my situation was predicated on 100 individual marines (not a company) as >>34929276 defined, and with no resupply.

>>34929305
Read the thread. Both sides had cannon, and the ottomans had fielded handcannon a century prior. They'd be surprised how accurate they were, but they wouldn't be considered magic.
>>
>>34929510
They'd be more surprised with the quality of cloth, the zippers and the 4-holed buttons on the uniforms. That and the knowledge of the medics... that part would be considered magic, even borderline sorcery.
>>
>>34929295
Smokeless powder would still be a huge shock to the system. Any kind of ordnance would also be a new experience.
>>
>>34929428
The Marine corps itself is already pretty much a cult. If I could make a fallout or other post apocalyptic game I would have a factions descended from Marines that worship chesty puller and other legendary Marines, and pretty much act like war boys from mad Max. Their entire societal structure mirros rank structure, and their language is a weird military Creole full of curse words and marine/naval terms.
>>
>>34929428
>Sanctus Corpo dei Marines Civitates Foederatae Americae
>>
File: 1250439623063.jpg (98KB, 870x720px) Image search: [Google]
1250439623063.jpg
98KB, 870x720px
>>34928652

2 Polish junkies beaten 6 US soldiers from elite brigade in Lask. After a short fight in which most of Americans were knocked down, American soldiers began to run away in panic in direction of taxi-parking. According to witness-record Poles were chasing them while shouting : "wy brudasy jebane!" (You fucking shitskins!). Some of Americans managed to enter a taxi-cab but they didnt drive away too far because one of Poles jumped on the car and made it stop. After this he began to kick in doors of the car. Thankfully police was driving nearby, noticed the situation and pacified two aggressive Poles. Both of them were drunk and had a little bit of drugs with themselves. American soldiers acted nice told police that they dont want to file an official complaint because it was a normal fight between males

http://pikio.pl/zolnierze-usa-pobici-przez-polakow-uciekali-w-panice/#
>>
>>34929796
So... The brotherhood of steel?
>>
>>34928660
>>34928652
No, not in the long term. Constantinople was out of money and had an enemy on the boarder that wanted it's location.

What you need is an army of accountants, not soldiers.
>>
>>34929970
No. They're too intellectual. Think boomers meet children of atom, with maybe some raider tendencies thrown in.
>>
>>34929970
The BOS was actually formed from remnants from a us air force base
>>
>>34928652
they would fast run out of ammo
>>
Modern US marines would be too busy attempting to win the hearts and minds of the Turks, a military campaign that has never worked since its conception. Constantinople might stand until they are recalled back home because people are tired of seeing Marines on the news talking to brown people. As soon as the Americans withdraw, Constantinople falls the next day.
>>
Yes.

There are many ways to go around it.

But first of all, let's first assign 1/3 of marines to non combat roles (logistics, command, supply, medical, transport etc).

That leaves us with 66 marines, plus one guy to scratch his balls.

The 66 marines could take a variety of roles, for example:

-all of them are Cobra pilots, and there are 33 Cobras
-all of them are Abrams crewmen, and there are 22 tanks
-all of them are mortar crews, and there are 33 mortars
-all of them work on static defenses (.50, Mark 19 etc) mounted on the walls of the city, and there are 66 of those heavy guns

Or any combination of those really.

It would be like GATE but better.
>>
>>34928835
Thats something that would make it into religious texts.
>>
>>34929970
Nah, not inbred enough. Or maybe TOO inbred...
>>
No they couldnt, only retards think they could
>>
>>34928842
>white
Aren't marines the dinduest branch?
>>
What a fucking retarded thread
>>
>>34929301
VENETIAN FUCKIN SHITS
>>
File: 1377663368186.jpg (5KB, 127x122px) Image search: [Google]
1377663368186.jpg
5KB, 127x122px
>>34934641
>>
The Americans would support the muslims
Just as they have in Kosovo or every other time
>>
>>34934328
marines are the whitest branch
navy is the most non-white
>>
>>34933742

33 Cobras would kick their ass for sure lol.
>>
>>34928771
I think 240s and SAWs would be more than enough, especially if everyone had one.
>>
>>34934328
The USMC has the higher amount of HS and college grads when compared to the army per capita.
>>
>>34928689
>100 Marines
>all mortarmen
>all crewing 81mm's in teams of 4
That's 25 mortars firing at a sustained rate of 16rpm each for a total of 400 mortars a minute with a max effective range of just under 6km.

If they can have backup tubes for if the primaries overheat (wouldn't be hard since they're fighting from fortification) and locals pouring water on the hot tubes constantly, they could alternate firing at their "burst" rate of up to 40 mortars a minute each for stretches up to 20 minutes at a time.

Mortars work pretty okay against ships, especially with MTSQ (airburst) fuzes so they don't go off several meters underwater. The invasion would most likely be over before a single turkroach touched land, and if not...well it wouldn't last much longer than that.
>>
>>34936174
That is SOLELY due to a much higher percentage of officers though.

Comparing strictly the enlisted it's pretty even.
>>
File: Little_Sif.jpg (74KB, 604x443px) Image search: [Google]
Little_Sif.jpg
74KB, 604x443px
>>34929306
>marines can ne anything
100 legal admin SAPR marines
>>
>>34936272
This is probably the most effective use of leg.
>>34933742
What's the best use of vehicle borne, Cobras or Abrams? Probably depends on how much fuel is available.

Thoughts?
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.