[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The caliber debate for handguns always tends to the "it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: caliber wars.jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
caliber wars.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
The caliber debate for handguns always tends to the "it's all about shot placement" worldview, but the caliber debate for rifles tends to the "more is better" mentality. I don't understand that logic.
>>
>>34921105
>I don't understand

/thread
>>
>>34921142
Do you care to explain?
>>
>>34921105
you don't want a 5,000 J handgun since it would break your wrist, but you do want a 5,000 J rifle since REMOVE ELEPHANT
>>
All handguns chambered in a caliber weaker than 9mm are completely ineffective unless you shoot the assailant in the eye. All handguns chambered in a caliber more powerful than 9mm have the same terminal ballistics as 9mm, except with more recoil; this makes them worthless in any kind of real-world scenario.

All calibers that aren't .556 NATO, .308, 6.5 Creedmore, and .300 Blackout are outdated fudd shit that either lacks power or are horribly space inefficient for what they do.

[spoiler]All of the above is what tactifags actually believe.[/spoiler]
>>
>>34921105
Handguns are low velocity, so they tend to lack the stoppin powah that most Hollywood movies portray them as having. The tend to make small wounds. Rifles, on the other hand, have such high velocities that even small rifle bullets can create devastating wounds (like 5.56mm or 5.45mm). Shot placement isn't as important when your rifle bullet's temporary cavity is going to expand someone's chest by a good 8" for a split second.

.30 cal fags and ar15 fags will forever argue which one is better, and the real answer is, they are both great for doing different things. A true gun guy is going to spend less time worrying about the diameter of his bullets, and more time worrying about the design of the bullet, and its velocity.
>>
>>34921313
So in that case, why not just use a 260 Remington or 6.5 Swede for all your hunting needs? A 6.5 mm bullet in the heart will kill anything that walks.
>>
>>34921358
I agree completely. I personally think that 6.5mm is the perfect sized round for ultimate ballistics out to 1000 yards. I also think that .338 and .416 are superior to .50
>>
>>34921313
>worrying about the design of the bullet, and its velocity.
A bullet going at 2500 fps will kill man and beast just as dead as a bullet going at 3300 feet per second. The gun community has ballistics queens like every sorority has size queens. In fact, there was a time when ammo boxes didn't even have ballistics charts printed on them. If you wanted to know how fast a particular round was, you had to buy a reloading manual or a chronograph.
>>
>>34921430
6 mm is just as good for anything under 400 lbs.
>>
>>34921479
Yes and no, when you consider that a 5.56mm round needs to be traveling at speeds in excess of 2750 FPS to reliably yaw and/or fragment when they hit someone. Anything slower than that, and you will probably just get a tiny .22 hole that passes through and through cleanly. This wound will not reliably stop an aggressor.

Other than that, I agree with you. A rifle bullet will generally always kill you if it hits you in the chest. I do stand by my comments about bullet design though. It is much more important to have a high quality round designed for your application (like an OTM for long range, or an SP for hunting) than having a larger round that was not designed for your specific application

>>34921484
agreed
>>
>>34921518
>Yes and no, when you consider that a 5.56mm round needs to be traveling at speeds in excess of 2750 FPS to reliably yaw and/or fragment when they hit someone. Anything slower than that, and you will probably just get a tiny .22 hole that passes through and through cleanly. This wound will not reliably stop an aggressor.
That's only a problem with FMJ.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.