[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /k/. I'm currently writing a little story that involves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 493356.jpg (94KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
493356.jpg
94KB, 880x660px
Hi /k/. I'm currently writing a little story that involves guns and I have a couple questions that you might have answers to.

1. Were black powder/muzzleloading rifles louder than modern firearms? I've been told that the sound is more like a "boom" than the "crack" of modern ammo, but I've heard nothing about the volume. I've never been around one in person and it's hard to gauge how loud it is in a video.
2. Would a pistol being fired inches from someone's unprotected ear cause them to go permanently deaf?

And as long as I'm asking stuff, is there a way someone could fashion functional earplugs only from things they've found in the woods? Packing mud in their ears or stuffing leaves in there or something?
>>
>>34910719
Was really about the same, black powder muzzle loaders tended to fire heavier projectiles at a slightly slower velocity, partially to reduce chamber pressure. This also makes the momentum/kick larger since P = mv while KE = mv2/2.

Modern firearms can damage hearing too. Honestly you wouldn't notice much difference. Wounding was slightly different since service rifles tended to be ~.50-.58cal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minie ball

We've had paper cartridges for hundreds of years. The earliest were a paper container that held premeasured amounts of powder, primer and bullet/wadding. Pour the powder and primer into their appropriate areas, then ram the wadding and bullet. No guesswork required, very consistent results that are militarily useful. Civil War gives the beginning of breach-loaders and cartridges that function similar to or identical to modern weapons. Civil war revolvers aren't any different from modern revolvers (aside from some safety additions).
>>
>>34910719
poor bait.

BP firearms are rarely reaching supersonic speeds namely because the energy went into momentum for heavier objects.

Yes a big BP beside your ear will damage it. In fact infantry lines were specifically structured NOT to place the muzzle beside the next guys head.

Why the fuck would anyone stuff mud in their ears when wool and beeswax exists?

Its pretty hard to damage your hearing instantly and forever outside of k fantasies and Hollywood using regular small arms. Prolonged stupidity is required.
>>
>>34910869
>asking questions to gain a better understanding of a topic is bait now
Relax dude. Not everyone is trying to get you.
>>
>>34910719

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yceuluh_pJE
>>
the sound of detonation and the sound of the projectile breaking the sound barrier are two different noises. In the flintlock and early percussion era most projectiles were subsonic and heavy.

The sound of volley file is awesome but there was no onset of 'mass deafness'
>>
There is nothing stopping you sending supersonic projectiles using bp. It did not become the norm until the second half of the 19th century.
>>
>>34910869
>BP firearms are rarely reaching supersonic speeds
M1816 Flintlock is a .69cal with a military load is 1500ft/s. Military rifles certainly could be supersonic.

The fuddy-five 1911 Pistol is subsonic.
>>
>>34910719

Sound level is atmospheric powder burm outside of the barrel. Thats why shorter barrels are louder with same bullets than longer barrels.
As far as homemade ear plugs go Ive used cigarette butts.

>>34910948
Black powder =/= gun powder
Black powder is limited in its velocity
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.