[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Never owned a firearm. I appreciate and respect them though.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170818_173940.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170818_173940.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
Never owned a firearm. I appreciate and respect them though.

So as a 19 year old newfag. What should be my first gun purchase/how should I start.
(No handguns, cannot own one until I'm 21.)
>>
What kind of shooting do you want to do?
>>
Are you a WA anon?
>>
Whatever you do

Do NOT listen to ".22lr is gud for beginners xD" retards

It's fucking not, .223/5.56 is perfectly fine for beginners and you will seriously regret it if you get a smaller caliber rifle
>>
>>34903460
Dunno really. I advocate home defense due to my area. Small arms cqc?
>>
>>34903466
I'm in PA
>>
>>34903483
Don't listen to this retard either, your first gun should be whatever you want. The advantage of .22LR is that you can get a solid rifle for half the price of the shittiest AR-15, and ammo for a quarter of the price of 5.56. Besides, it's not like you're stuck with one gun forever.
>>
>>34903441
It all comes down to what state are in you and what kind of money you have to spend Anon
>>
Ruger 10/22
Mossberg 500
Budget AR15

You can get all three for around $800 and they will cover all of your bases besides pistols. They're boring but you can get neat stuff later.
>>
I will also assume your broke
>ruger 10/22 or marlin model 60
>mossberg 500
>marlin 30-30
>keltec sub2000
>cheap ar 15
>sks
>>
Good, reliable 12 gauge shotgun. I recommend the Mossberg 500 over the Remington 870. One of the most versatile guns out there, great for everything from home defense to hunting to target practice.
If you've got a little extra cash, grab a 10/22. Don't listen to the ".22 is for pussies" Guys. I own an AR, but I shoot the .22 much more often because the ammo is so cheap. I'm also 19 as well.
>>
>>34903586
This.
The main reason people recommend .22 is because you will actually go out and shoot.

Ammo is the most expensive part of gun ownership.
>>
>>34903441
only buy a shotgun if you have access to an outdoor range with skeet/trap or gravel pit.
shooting a shotgun at an indoor range with lanes is a miserable experience. its fun exactly once if youve never shot a gun then garbage after that.
>>
OP here.

I recently acquired a large sum of money. About $13,000. I guess I'm willing to spend 3k.

I'm fairly small, about 5'8".
I think a 12gauge might be too much to start with.
>>
File: 1489003034057.jpg (13KB, 600x576px) Image search: [Google]
1489003034057.jpg
13KB, 600x576px
>>34903737
>".22 is for pussies"
Why are some people like this? My buddy inherited several very nice .22s, but never brings them to the range. He'll just run through a box of 9mm and and a box or two of 5.56 and call it a day within 40 minutes. Meanwhile I'm totally content to plink with my marlin for a couple hours. .22 may be dinky compared to anything centerfire, but idgaf it's fun.
>>
Enough about .22, don't get your grapes In a twist. It doesn't help me much.
-OP
>>
>>34903769
mosin
and semi auto in .556 or 7.62x39

you have everything you need from gophers to deer and they are all cheap to shoot, find out what you want in a rifle based on these, wether it be a cannon of a rifle, something fast light and quick to shoot or something that you can shoot 100s of rounds for $10 and guide your future purchases based on that
>>
>>34903907
>I think a 12gauge might be too much to start with.
get a 20ga then. you can still pop clays with a 20ga. but don't spend $3k on funs off the bat, dude. use less money and learn a little. iron sights, cheap ammo, and bare minimum accessories. you could invest half of what you're willing to spend and have more than enough to spend on something down the road for a ccw setup when you turn 21.
>>
File: 1482445056782.webm (2MB, 404x720px) Image search: [Google]
1482445056782.webm
2MB, 404x720px
1. get a 10/22 or equivalent
2. sign up for an appleseed weekend
3. go to appleseed and learn how2shoot
4. practice until you git gud
then you can buy an AR or whatever and not be wasting ammo dicking around since you already have developed solid rifle fundamentals
>>
OP here, I got work to do.
Thank you all for the advice. I'll most likely come back and post what I get.
>>
>>34904050
but i dont want a rifle
>>
>>34904050
>then you can buy an AR or whatever and not be wasting ammo dicking around since you already have developed solid rifle fundamentals
or just buy let him what he wants
wasting ammo only hurts OPs wallet
why should we give a single solitary fuck about his finances?
he can develop solid rifle fundamentals with anything its just going to cost more.
>>
>>34903441
9mm ar-15. Cheap(er) ammo then 223 and fun as fuck to shoot.
>>
>>34903685
the standard henry lever .22lr with 15rnd tube mag is like $320
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.