[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Is it legal to modify a gun to shoot a bigger caliber or is not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

Is it legal to modify a gun to shoot a bigger caliber or is not legal /too much work?

Bumping up a handgun round or something
>>
yes it legal.
>>
>>34894440
Depends on the gun and the caliber.
>>
>>34894467
A 22 up to the next possible size
>>
>>34894440
No.
Just for mentioning this, you should hide your dog.
>>
legal, yes
work, hella difficult.

If you are using something like a p250/p320 it would be easy, but pretty challenging otherwise.
>>
>>34894440
yes it is legal as long as its not above .50 caliber.

at anything above .50 is consider a destructive device and would require a tax stamp.
>>
>>34894440
Wife is a gunsmith, she does it all the time.

There are pressure tables based on the alloy (or other ways to figure it out if it is not known) to determine how wide you can overbore/how much barrel wall thickness needs to remain.
The action may need to be modified to handle the larger round, but it is common.

>>34894484
Probably not possible/practical, since a "22" (22LR) is a rimfire, and anything bigger would be centrefire. The receiver length is also likely too short to work for 22 magnum. 22LR is also a relatively low pressure round, so the barrel alloy and wall thickness is likely not serviceable for a higher pressure round.
>>
File: 1501733845104.jpg (16KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
1501733845104.jpg
16KB, 270x270px
>>34894577
But 12g slugs are .69 to .73 cal...
>>
>>34894440
In the United States generally yes you can do caliber conversions legally. Sometimes you can go up, though usually you can only go down for safety and practical reasons.

I have a 9mm conversion for my .40 S&W Glock for instance.
There are also some conversions that let you beef a .45 ACP up to .50GI or .45 Rowland. Going over .50 caliber can cause legal issues however, since that's destructive device territory although some bigger callibers like .577 Martini-Henry are specifically exempt.
>>
>>34894619
Shotguns are exempt
>>
>>34894618
It's a 22magnum sorry
>>
>>34894619
Yes. Any shotgun with a bore over .5 inch is technically a destructive device.
The way the law is written they are, but the DD status is waived automatically unless it's determined that they have no sporting purpose.

For example Daewoo made a semi auto only USAS12 but it fell into this category. Even with an 18" barrel it's a DD and needs a tax stamp to buy. ATF toyed with doing the same with Saigas and Veprs.
>>
>>34894644
>.45 rowland
>>
>>34894618
>Probably not possible/practical, since a "22" (22LR) is a rimfire, and anything bigger would be centrefire.
I just wanted to show you this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0RS5-LKBlA
though I mostly agree with you
>>
>>34894660
Still a rimfire... either not practical, or probably not worth your money, unless it is a really "special" gun to you. If you are just looking to save a few bucks and go up in caliber, likely not your best option. Buying something used will be much cheaper.

>>34894756
Wow! That was pretty neat. Thanks for that.
Probably over $1k of work if you were to pay a gunsmith to do it I would guess though?
Wife isn't home right now or I would ask, but I'll show her that video for sure!
>>
>>34894618
>Wife is a gunsmith
Where did you find the holy grail?
>>
>>34894440
I've got a pistol that i can change between a .380, a 9mm, .40 or .22lr. It is kind of expensive and i took me a while to get them all working right.
>>
>>34894951
I know, right?

DESU, I wasn't even really in to guns that much. I race sailboats and her dad was in my sailing club. Him and I started racing together and eventually he started bringing her out to the events. We got talking and I found out she shoots rifles competitively... obviously any girl who does that is 1) nuts, or 2) seriously cool. Thankfully sofar she seems to be the latter. We're still pretty young so time will tell. Our first date was her taking me shooting. Good times!
>>
>>34895048
pics please
>>
>>34894440
Put those .50 in the glock where they belong....
>>
>>34894756

Dear lord, I know it was an example, but just getting a new barrel is going to be WAY cheaper.
>>
>>34895091
It is a rock island 1911 I haven't even changed the grips... i have one slide for the .380 and the 9mm and another for the 45acp. And the 22lr kit still sucks. I can't get it to cycle correctly for more then 2 or 3 magazines
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.